Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2021, 04:32 PM
Aristocracy

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sionevar View Post
Here's some advice about his tax status in the US:

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/inte...-presence-test

You will be considered a United States resident for tax purposes if you meet the substantial presence test for the calendar year. To meet this test, you must be physically present in the United States (U.S.) on at least:

31 days during the current year, and
183 days during the 3-year period that includes the current year and the 2 years immediately before that, counting:
All the days you were present in the current year, and
1/3 of the days you were present in the first year before the current year, and
1/6 of the days you were present in the second year before the current year.

If Harry passes this test (or fails it, depending on your point of view ), he will need to pay tax in the US. And I believe he would pay it on his worldwide assets, not just on what he earns in the US.

He may also be liable for US taxes based on the green card test, which is an entirely separate category. And he may be completely exempt if he is considered a Foreign Government Related Individual because he has diplomatic status. It's a complicated business!
That sounds complicated to figure out, but thanks so much for the info! Maybe Meg will be the one who is paid so she can only pay tax on US earnings as opposed to worldwide - hope I’m making sense. All sorts of loopholes in US tax law....

Old 05-04-2021, 04:33 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sionevar View Post
Here's some advice about his tax status in the US:

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/inte...-presence-test

You will be considered a United States resident for tax purposes if you meet the substantial presence test for the calendar year. To meet this test, you must be physically present in the United States (U.S.) on at least:

31 days during the current year, and
183 days during the 3-year period that includes the current year and the 2 years immediately before that, counting:
All the days you were present in the current year, and
1/3 of the days you were present in the first year before the current year, and
1/6 of the days you were present in the second year before the current year.

If Harry passes this test (or fails it, depending on your point of view ), he will need to pay tax in the US. And I believe he would pay it on his worldwide assets, not just on what he earns in the US.

He may also be liable for US taxes based on the green card test, which is an entirely separate category. And he may be completely exempt if he is considered a Foreign Government Related Individual because he has diplomatic status. It's a complicated business!
I doubt if he has diplomatic status. he's not there ona visit.. or to work short term. he's moved there, married to an American citizen and is living there.

Old 05-04-2021, 04:36 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I doubt if he has diplomatic status. he's not there ona visit.. or to work short term. he's moved there, married to an American citizen and is living there.
Yes, I also doubt that. I suspect he is fully liable for US tax now, based just on the residence rules.
Old 05-04-2021, 04:36 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Why will people in a republic pay for "access to a blood prince"?? What is so special about a blood prince that people will pay to - what ? Shake his hand? This is a man who has abused his family on TV, has claimed that royalty is a trap and yet he intends to use his being a "blood prince" to make money. IS that what HE thinks a blood prince should be?
Rich folks in the US who bought The Interview hook, line, and sinker. And because no matter what he is called, he is still Diana’s son, and it would be perceived as prestigious to have Harry attend your “whatever” event. A number of folks in the US are really into status and this meets that criteria .
Old 05-04-2021, 04:38 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I dont think most people go in for that nowadays, so a title like "Princess Harry" would look odd to Americans.

There’s that , but also- in fairytales or movies that have Princess X in it, it is HER name used.

But- I still think it would look strange with Meghan’s feminist, independent, strong woman brand too. (Though I think some of her stories/choices have gone against that brand, that’s a separate issue.)
Old 05-04-2021, 04:42 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalist.in.NC View Post
In the old days (IDK about proper etiquette for folks after boomers coz I’m a boomer) you addressed a letter to a married woman who took her husband’s name (and about everybody did) as Mrs. John Smith. If she divorced you would write a letter to Mrs. Mary Smith.
There was a lot of fuss about sexism when it was announced that Mrs Michael Tindall, rather than Mrs Zara Tindall, had given birth to her second child, but the announcement was officially correct! Even a widow would officially be Mrs John Smith.

If Harry is deemed UK resident, he would have to pay tax in the UK on income earned in the US, although there are double taxation treaties so there'd be relief for tax paid on the same income in the US. However, as he's hardly been in the UK this year, he wouldn't class as UK resident. I don't know how he can work in the US without a green card or some sort of work visa, though. Presumably he can get a green card because he's married to a US citizen (er, like in that film with Gerard Depardieu and Andie MacDowell!)?

We often hear about former Prime Ministers earning hundreds of thousands of pounds a time for giving speeches at dinners, often in the Far East. OK, they are probably good speakers, but the attraction seems to be the cachet of being introduced as "former Prime Minister". They're not even royal - they're politicians who were kicked out of office or felt obliged to resign! I have no idea why people pay that sort of money, but evidently they do.
Old 05-04-2021, 04:45 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
I don't think Sarah had the connection when she started her "career" that Meghan and Harry had. She wasn't as interested as them as well, just a "former" Royal compared to the "real thing" (as just proved with the funeral).
But she could get rid of her debts and earn big money compared to what the most people earn.

Harry though is a "blood prince" and there will always people who will pay for access.

Accept that. The won't fit into your image of British Royality and we don't know how Charles really thinks but I for once hope that Meghan is suave in business, so the money they earn stays with them and does not get stolen by "advisors".
I was merely commenting on the Washington Post's article yesterday that said they were basically a glam, ambitious version of Fergie and lo and behold today they announce a Children's Book just like her (and many many other celebs). They have a bigger platform than she did but that was what I was saying.

https://archive.ph/uD1Dr

It does also note that they need the royalty factor (as did Fergie even though she was divorced) to build their American Dream Brand.

I don't have a problem with royalty writing books, although from Meghan's previous writing I kind of question if it will work as an actual book that children will like rather than a showcase of the Sussex "caring" brand, but we'll see.

I think in the US they're more interested in "Diana's son" with a dash of BRF than a "Blood Prince" in general otherwise Madeleine, Theodora and the rest of the Greek royals, Lux Royals, and Bea and Eug themselves would get more press and gossip since they are or have lived in the US but they're basically anonymous - even the one with an acting career.

I agree that there will always be those who pay for access to "real royalty" and there's a very much a certain sprinkle of fairy dust over the word Prince or Princess, that's why they're fighting so hard to keep using Meghan, Duchess of Sussex and Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex at every opportunity despite trashing the family and everything it stands for.

But most Americans don't seem to really know or care much about the difference between "blood prince" and any other type, which is fine because they're a republic. Unless he's Diana's son and Harry's certainly playing that up as much as PH,DOS.
Old 05-04-2021, 04:47 PM
Gentry

Quote:
That sounds complicated to figure out, but thanks so much for the info! Maybe Meg will be the one who is paid so she can only pay tax on US earnings as opposed to worldwide - hope I’m making sense. All sorts of loopholes in US tax law....
I believe they have set up a production company for the Netflix deal. If that's true, any income will probably be earned by the company and taxed at the corporate level. Harry and Meghan may then take money out of the company in whatever form makes the most sense for them e.g. earned salary or dividend payments, which they would then declare on their personal tax returns.

I have no doubt their personal financial situation is i) complex and ii) heavily streamlined for international tax efficiency and iii) being managed by a variety of smart, capable and tax-savvy people. They won't be doing their IRS returns themselves :)
Old 05-04-2021, 04:51 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Rich folks in the US who bought The Interview hook, line, and sinker. And because no matter what he is called, he is still Diana’s son, and it would be perceived as prestigious to have Harry attend your “whatever” event. A number of folks in the US are really into status and this meets that criteria .
What for? he's been nasty about his "royal" family,. He's called them heartless racists, and told the world that he thinks that his father and brother are trapped in royal life and that he is happy to have escaped it.. and that they are foolish because they can't see how trapped they are. And because of that, he's on pretty cool terms with his royal family at present.. What's the point of meeting a Prince who doesn't want to be a prince and who is barely on speaking terms with the rest of his family....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
T

We often hear about former Prime Ministers earning hundreds of thousands of pounds a time for giving speeches at dinners, often in the Far East. OK, they are probably good speakers, but the attraction seems to be the cachet of being introduced as "former Prime Minister". They're not even royal - they're politicians who were kicked out of office or felt obliged to resign! I have no idea why people pay that sort of money, but evidently they do.
These politicans are people who have had a long career in politics and have something to talk about... All Harry seems to offer is complaining that the RF is racist and that he's his mother's son....
Old 05-04-2021, 05:04 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
What for? he's been nasty about his "royal" family,. He's called them heartless racists, and told the world that he thinks that his father and brother are trapped in royal life and that he is happy to have escaped it.. and that they are foolish because they can't see how trapped they are. And because of that, he's on pretty cool terms with his royal family at present.. What's the point of meeting a Prince who doesn't want to be a prince and who is barely on speaking terms with the rest of his family....

IA with you. But he’s famous. People do sometimes like to get to say they’ve seen/met/talked to someone famous.
Old 05-04-2021, 05:10 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
There was a lot of fuss about sexism when it was announced that Mrs Michael Tindall, rather than Mrs Zara Tindall, had given birth to her second child, but the announcement was officially correct! Even a widow would officially be Mrs John Smith.

If Harry is deemed UK resident, he would have to pay tax in the UK on income earned in the US, although there are double taxation treaties so there'd be relief for tax paid on the same income in the US. However, as he's hardly been in the UK this year, he wouldn't class as UK resident. I don't know how he can work in the US without a green card or some sort of work visa, though. Presumably he can get a green card because he's married to a US citizen (er, like in that film with Gerard Depardieu and Andie MacDowell!)?

I love your remembering that movie “The Green Card.”
Old 05-04-2021, 05:16 PM
Majesty

Quote:
:
This commitment builds on The Duke of Sussex's long-standing work on issues and initiatives regarding mental health, where he has candidly shared personal experience and advocated for those who silently suffer, empowering them to get the help and support they deserve.

The above is quoted from the Oprah announcement through Drew Barrymore’s show. As a counselor, I am all for shining a light on mental health issues and advocating for help and breaking the stigma. I am still scratching my head with the statement above and Harry’s statement during The Interview that he couldn’t get help for his own wife. So disingenuous
That's rich. Not sure how explaining to the world that you had no idea how to deal with your wife's mental health crisis (after you previously had access to mental health services and later on refused to talk to your family about your wife's) would empower others to get the help and support they deserve. It would mostly suggest that you have to keep it hidden as you should be afraid of how your relatives might respond.
Old 05-04-2021, 05:17 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin9 View Post
IA with you. But he’s famous. People do sometimes like to get to say they’ve seen/met/talked to someone famous.
but he is "famous for being famous".. Famous in fact mainly for walking out on his family and his royal life. If he was sincere about this, he'd say "I dont want to be royal. I just want a quiet life doing a bit of good, and I don't want to see reporters or fame hunters or autograph seekers...
And perhaps some people might be thrilled to see "a prince" if it just took a few mins out of their day and didn't cost anything... but really, why on earth would anyone pay thousands of pounds to hear him talk?
Old 05-04-2021, 05:18 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
I was merely commenting on the Washington Post's article yesterday that said they were basically a glam, ambitious version of Fergie and lo and behold today they announce a Children's Book just like her (and many many other celebs). They have a bigger platform than she did but that was what I was saying.

https://archive.ph/uD1Dr

It does also note that they need the royalty factor (as did Fergie even though she was divorced) to build their American Dream Brand.

I don't have a problem with royalty writing books, although from Meghan's previous writing I kind of question if it will work as an actual book that children will like rather than a showcase of the Sussex "caring" brand, but we'll see.

I think in the US they're more interested in "Diana's son" with a dash of BRF than a "Blood Prince" in general otherwise Madeleine, Theodora and the rest of the Greek royals, Lux Royals, and Bea and Eug themselves would get more press and gossip since they are or have lived in the US but they're basically anonymous - even the one with an acting career.

I agree that there will always be those who pay for access to "real royalty" and there's a very much a certain sprinkle of fairy dust over the word Prince or Princess, that's why they're fighting so hard to keep using Meghan, Duchess of Sussex and Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex at every opportunity despite trashing the family and everything it stands for.

But most Americans don't seem to really know or care much about the difference between "blood prince" and any other type, which is fine because they're a republic. Unless he's Diana's son and Harry's certainly playing that up as much as PH,DOS.
Thanks for posting the WP article! I agree with your “fairy dust” assessment.
Old 05-04-2021, 05:19 PM
Royal Highness

Post 1952

I still don't understand what was meant in the interview about not being able to get any help with suicidal thoughts.

Anyone with a phone can ring the Samaritans for a start.

Why would anyone in the RF want to stop one of their own seeking help? It makes no sense.
Old 05-04-2021, 05:23 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
Post 1952

I still don't understand what was meant in the interview about not being able to get any help with suicidal thoughts.

Why would anyone in the RF want to stop one of their own seeking help? It makes no sense.
The BRF didn't know about it, so couldn't even try to stop her from seeking help (even if they wanted; which of course they wouldn't have).
Old 05-04-2021, 05:33 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Denville , I hear what you are saying, and personally, I have lost all respect for Prince Harry after what he is done. However, my point was that in the US most people don’t understand (nor are they interested) in the nuances of things that you folks in the UK do understand. Remember that here school children are taught about the American Revolution only from our standpoint and call out the big bad British King George III - so many are totally unsympathetic to the RF - we are a republic, remember.

And while I agree about him trashing his family, some folks here in the US will be sympathetic to someone who “escaped” the RF and believe all or most of the lies in The Interview. Or even if they don’t believe the lies, cynically, people out to make a buck using their “fairy dust sparkle” will not care IMHO. Sad but true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
That's rich. Not sure how explaining to the world that you had no idea how to deal with your wife's mental health crisis (after you previously had access to mental health services and later on refused to talk to your family about your wife's) would empower others to get the help and support they deserve. It would mostly suggest that you have to keep it hidden as you should be afraid of how your relatives might respond.
Yep, my point exactly!
Old 05-04-2021, 05:37 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by valeas View Post
well, as archie is only two and harry will hardly remember these period in his own life, they technically cannot say anything beyond the age of two, when M. says it through a mother's eyes
we'll have to see
That would look awful, even in the States using your kids in order to attack their grandfather would look cheap
Old 05-04-2021, 05:40 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
The BRF didn't know about it, so couldn't even try to stop her from seeking help (even if they wanted; which of course they wouldn't have).
she could have gone to her doctor. Did she really not think of that? Even if she was so depresed she wasn't thinking clearly, surely Harry would have siad "talk to the doctor and get a referral to a psychiatrist...."
Old 05-04-2021, 05:45 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
Post 1952

You are absolutely correct - it makes no sense whatsoever!

Closed Thread