The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-04-2021, 12:08 PM
Nobility

This is taking a page from the one using title Duchess of York. And Princess Michael used her HRH and title to write a book.

Old 05-04-2021, 12:28 PM
Heir Apparent

https://archewell.com/news/meghan-th...ook-the-bench/

The announcement on archewell.com about the new children's book about fathers and sons

Old 05-04-2021, 12:39 PM
Nobility

I have a question, was this concert virtual or live?
Old 05-04-2021, 12:55 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
I think the last time that titles were actually removed was from British title holders serving in the German Armed Forces during the First World War. Annoying as Harry's being, the Titles Deprivation Act doesn't cover slagging your family off on TV. It just seems like very bad form to do everything he's done and then have yourself introduced as "Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex".
I do not think the titles will ever be removed, not sure if the couple themselves can request that they are removed, considering they do not appear to have any great respect for the institution.
Old 05-04-2021, 12:56 PM
Majesty

They dont need to request that they are removed, they can just stop using them...
Old 05-04-2021, 01:01 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
They dont need to request that they are removed, they can just stop using them...
That is true.
Old 05-04-2021, 01:02 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
It's this part that raises people's eyebrows:

When talking about a regular UK citizen taking US dual citizenship it isn't a problem but in Harry's case it would technically be "he renounced his family!" And yes a big deal would be made out of it, even if technically Maud Windsor is also a US citizen.

Then there are issues like being a Counsellor of State and the next coronations. But as far as we know it isn't happening, at least not in the near future.

True. I think that's part of why it looks so awkward to me.
Just wondering; I know that Maud Windsor was born in the USA. But, if BOTH her parents being members of the Royal Family had diplomatic passports and non of them was American citizen, then Maud doesn't get the citizenship because both parents are diplomats, she would only get a birth certificate.
I imagine that Savanah and Isla Phillips both have duo UK/Canadian citizen because their mother is Canadian.
Old 05-04-2021, 01:05 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fijiro View Post
Just wondering; I know that Maud Windsor was born in the USA. But, if BOTH her parents being members of the Royal Family had diplomatic passports and non of them was American citizen, then Maud doesn't get the citizenship because both parents are diplomats, she would only get a birth certificate.
I don't think the citizenship exclusion is based just on the parents having diplomatic passports. I believe they also have to be diplomatic officers formally accredited by the US Department of State, and officially assigned to an embassy, consulate or mission.
Old 05-04-2021, 01:06 PM
Gentry

Of course she&husband know exactly how fathers should be having a single child for almost 2 years LOL only
I hope but fear between the lines Charles will not be insulted or lectured of what he missed, wronged and....
Old 05-04-2021, 01:10 PM
Majesty

I dont suppose they will use a kids book to attack Charles...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
I agree regarding Harry; do we know for sure that Meghan officially changed her name (in the US) to Mountbatten-Windsor?
She doesn't have to. By tradtion, wives usually take their husband's name....
Old 05-04-2021, 01:20 PM
Gentry

Quote:
well, as archie is only two and harry will hardly remember these period in his own life, they technically cannot say anything beyond the age of two, when M. says it through a mother's eyes
we'll have to see
Old 05-04-2021, 01:27 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
It cannot be used again (but it does not limit parliamentary powers). See reply here: https://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...ml#post2396642
As you imply parliament is sovereign & can do what it wants. No parliament is bound by previous legislation. If a head of steam built up about this issue it could act any way it chose.
Old 05-04-2021, 01:28 PM
Royal Highness

The Duke & Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 4: April 2021 -

Quote:

It would hope not. Archie is not even 2. (Almost there though. Just checked his DOB.)

Though I suppose if there’s an illustration of father and son on a bike, that could be seen as one.
Old 05-04-2021, 01:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
It doesn't matter to me how he was known or that his name was in lights. It doesn't matter to me if he's an eloquent speaker or not. It doesn't matter to me if he got paid for this or if he volunteered his time like other people did for this cause. What matters to me is that he gave of his time and his energy and himself to try and make a difference in a world that severely needs to reach everyone and get them vaccinated against Covid-19.

Harry, in this case, mattered. For that he's earned my respect.

That's what I think as well! I don#t mind that Meghan took Harry with her to her own home country - has she been the queen of California, everyone would expected that! Now they live on what they have - and in America, you get credit by banks and companies and get payed for what you represent and are, not for what you actually do. It seems being "the grandson of the current queen and the son of the future king "of England" is worth the big bucks.It was a bit shacky if they would get the right people to contact them and take them under contract at first, but I guess Oprah was realy, really helpful, so she got "that interview" with enough scandal in it to really introduce their side to the American public.

So now I believe they are pretty settled, they have good advisors, they'll stay afloat and even get really rich and the only thing is to convince Willam, that it is okay what they do because they are living now in a different country with different rules.

My idea would be to tell William that this was they way their mother would have gone to be able to afford the life and the security adequate to her international position without the British taxpayer covering for that. Diana would have been forced to go the same way because she simply did not have the big money to support her private life when she was so famed internationally. And my guess is that she would have taken Harry with her anyway, because he is "just the spare" in a world where there is really only one place at court and that's for the heir, the heir's heir and that line's offspring.

It is sad for some people but we live in a time where we have a very quiet first layer of the money society and then we have a very present first layer of the "normal" society. I bet noone of that money-rich people fears anything on inviting Meghan and Harry as representators of the "other top" people to their home. Different from queen Mary, Meghan and Harry will not expect to be given the stuff they admire and they won't steal either. They might allow these ultra-rich people to give them money for their charities, but that's the prize to pay for their presence.

I understand that a life like Meghan & Harry can have will annoy a lot of people who only accept the Royals as long as they work and have not much fun. I personally think Charles and William have a lot of personal fun, though Harry thinks different and should know better.

But I believe in today's world, especially since "ideas" like creating software can make you super rich when in former time you needed stuff like actual gold or jewels or trade contracts etc. Harry and Meghan as the "spare" and his wife have a right to fish as much money from the ultra riches for giving them connection to what these ultras miss out on, which is really being based in this earth's society.

It's how it is today - and as much as you wish that without Charles' money and security payed by the British taxpayer, they will have to live simple life. But no, they don't. Harry may appear as "Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex" and that is only using his real name, not his Royal titles and the ultra rich people will pay for him. (Just like other ultra rich guys payed for "HRH The Duke of York", but let's not talk where these guys got their money from and don't look too closely at where the money Harry will get comes from.)

Just to put my thesis back into one sentence: Harry's birth to "this" Royal couple made sure he will never loose his appeal. And if he wants to market that, he will be sucessful. And if you don't like that, there are many ultra rich people who are only happy that such a intensive sparkler came to their market and they will buy because they buy the real deal!
Old 05-04-2021, 01:35 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:

They could. And you’d ALMOST wonder why they don’t after how extensively they attacked their family from just about every conceivable angle personally and professionally. But- royalty is quite literally their selling point. It’s what makes them “special.” That’s it. So- of course. It’s one of the reasons my respect for them is quite low now.
Old 05-04-2021, 01:41 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
I don’t think Harry is treating Charles badly because he’s the only parent around, though I agree with the point in general. I can not agree that children pitting parent against parent in a divorce is common - maybe it happens, but in my opinion, it tends to be the warring parents to use the children. There’s plenty of divorce in my family, but thank goodness nothing like this ever happened. In any case, H is almost 40 years old - I can not excuse him for sanctifying his mother while deeply wounding his father. I get the former as he lost her at such a young age, but his being so public with it while being so public about his anger at his father (for reasons I abhor) is ugly, very ugly.
I have been reading "King's Counsellor", which is the diary by Tommy Lascelles kept during WWII. He was King George VI's Private Secretary. In it, he describes the Duke of Windsor (formerly King Edward VIII) as having never progressed beyond the maturity of an adolescent. I think Harry is the same way. He is acting like a spoiled child.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
So if Harry renounced his titles in the US, his titles would still be recognized and valid in the UK with dual citizenship. He could still swear fealty to his father, the King, in the UK with no problem.

Guess its a case of when in Rome, do as the Romans do, eh?
This has made be wonder about something. During Queen Elizabeth's coronation, I think Prince Philip had to swear to be her "liege man" or something like that. I saw it on the Crown, which I take with a grain of salt, so I am not sure. Did Queen Elizabeth's children have to pledge their allegiance to her? Anyway, the reason I am wondering is that when Prince Charles is crowned King, will Camilla and William have to pledge their allegiance to him. If so, this could be a very awkward situation for Harry.
Old 05-04-2021, 01:51 PM
Serene Highness

Well when the Washington Post described them as a more glamourous, ambitious version of the Duchess of York I guess they were much more on the money than I realised.
Old 05-04-2021, 02:12 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
Exactly. Harry seems to care only about his mother, certainly based on what he says publicly. He’s Diana’s son -period. That goes over very well with a segment of America.
It's easy to idolize a dead person, because they can't ever disappoint you or argue with you. That's what Harry seems to be doing. Diana can do no wrong in his eyes, and he's right - she literally can't, because she's dead. He's built up this narrative in his head that Mummy would have let him have everything Charles and the Queen said no to, and of course that's not true. But no one can prove it because no one can really know what she'd have thought about things that happened after her death.

It's interesting to think about what Harry's relationship with Diana would be like if she were still alive. She wasn't always the easiest person to get along with, and I doubt she'd have been as wholeheartedly supportive of every single thing he's said and done as he seems to think she would have been. She did a lot of the same things herself, but she regretted many of them after seeing their impact on her family and especially her children. She'd probably have regretted more if she'd lived long enough to experience the long-term fallout.

A lot of what the public remembers as her "glamorous" lifestyle was really indicative of mental health issues. I think that might have become more clear to Harry had it continued into his young adulthood. William seems to have a better understanding of that, and I think that's because he was older and understood the problems better while it was happening. Maybe they'd have all worked through those issues if she'd lived, and their relationship would be sunshine and butterflies today, but I doubt it.
Old 05-04-2021, 02:14 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by duchessrachel View Post
This has made be wonder about something. During Queen Elizabeth's coronation, I think Prince Philip had to swear to be her "liege man" or something like that. I saw it on the Crown, which I take with a grain of salt, so I am not sure. Did Queen Elizabeth's children have to pledge their allegiance to her? Anyway, the reason I am wondering is that when Prince Charles is crowned King, will Camilla and William have to pledge their allegiance to him. If so, this could be a very awkward situation for Harry.
During the coronation, all Dukes, royals and non-royals, have to pledge their allegiance to the new Monarchy. Prince Philip, as the Duke of Edinburgh had to swear his allegiance. When Charles is to be coronated, Camilla as Consort will probably sit next to Charles; but Andrew, William, Harry, and all royal and non-royal dukes, will have to pledge their allegiance.
Old 05-04-2021, 02:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin9 View Post
Wow....talk about gushing. Goodness.

To state the obvious- this publicity (which hit my news feed too) and, of course, Meghan’s title on the cover is all about her royal connections. The ones she publicly trashed. If they’d exited with some tiny bit of professionalism, class, and maturity- I’d shrug. This is just a bad look to me.

I know she is The Duchess of Sussex, and it’s certainly her right to use it, but if she was as deeply offended by the royals as she proclaimed, you’d think she’d go by Meghan Markle. Get rid of all royal connections. People would still know who she was. But- using the title on the cover does add a little something.....
This ! They’re racist and didn’t support her when she was suicidal, but she’s sure trading on the connection for all she’s worth.