The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2021, 07:30 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by duchessrachel View Post
Is there anything Queen Elizabeth can do to stop commercialization of the Royal Family? I think I remember the Sussexes not commercializing their royal connections being part of the agreement made at the Summit they had, but it does not look like the Sussexes are abiding by it.
I think she could issue new Letters Patent which redefine who is allowed to use the title of Prince or Princess and style of HRH, excluding him in the process, but this would be a pretty drastic step. And Harry would still be the grandson of the existing monarch and son or brother of the next two, so he would continue to have royal connections, and to be viewed by many people as royal, even if he was technically not.

Outside of this, there is not a lot the Queen can do. She could make it clear she doesn't approve, but would that even matter? If Harry wants to hawk jewellery on QVC, as long as he is not using legally protected or copyrighted terms, I doubt she could really stop him.

Old 05-03-2021, 07:35 PM
Nobility

Sarah Ferguson of course lost the HRH but has kept the title Duchess of York since she did not remarry. She's been hawking products for years and even was on Oprah's TV network some years ago doing a 'reality show.' Wouldn't the Queen have removed her title if Sarah went commercial? So I doubt she would stop Harry. I don't think Harry will go the QVC route.

Old 05-03-2021, 07:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

Oh good lord, I just saw the clip showing "Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex" on that screen........tacky, tacky, tacky.
Old 05-03-2021, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Please move on from discussing what Harry did in his teenage years.

The discussion about the number of affairs Charles and Diana had is off-topic and has been deleted. If you wish to discuss Charles and Diana’s marriage, please take it here.
Old 05-03-2021, 07:43 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy345 View Post
Sarah Ferguson of course lost the HRH but has kept the title Duchess of York since she did not remarry. She's been hawking products for years and even was on Oprah's TV network some years ago doing a 'reality show.' Wouldn't the Queen have removed her title if Sarah went commercial? So I doubt she would stop Harry. I don't think Harry will go the QVC route.
The difference here is, the dukedom of York is a peerage, not a royal title or style, so the Queen has no ability to i) remove it from Prince Andrew or ii) prevent Andrew's ex-wife from using it in the way she does.

And I hope Harry does not go the QVC route. But time will show us how his plans work out
Old 05-03-2021, 07:57 PM
Majesty

The concert was a charity event to raise money for vaccines and equipment. Harry didn’t get paid for appearing. Neither will Meghan. And none of the performers were paid either.

That event, regardless of what letters were flashed on a screen for any of the people who gave their time to appear for this cause, raised many millions, and once it’s televised around the world will probably raise many millions more.

Also if Harry drops the Sussex title then he will revert to Prince Harry (Henry) and Meghan (who by custom takes his styling would be Princess Henry.
Old 05-03-2021, 08:02 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
The concert was a charity event to raise money for vaccines and equipment. Harry didn’t get paid for appearing. Neither will Meghan. And none of the performers were paid either.

That event, regardless of what letters were flashed on a screen for any of the people who gave their time to appear for this cause, raised many millions, and once it’s televised around the world will probably raise many millions more.

Also if Harry drops the Sussex title then he will revert to Prince Harry (Henry) and Meghan (who by custom takes his styling would be Princess Henry.

I don't think Americans in particular would understand a style like "Princess Henry". It may sound natural in the UK, but it sounds odd in most other countries.
Old 05-03-2021, 08:11 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sionevar View Post
I think she could issue new Letters Patent which redefine who is allowed to use the title of Prince or Princess and style of HRH, excluding him in the process, but this would be a pretty drastic step. And Harry would still be the grandson of the existing monarch and son or brother of the next two, so he would continue to have royal connections, and to be viewed by many people as royal, even if he was technically not.

Outside of this, there is not a lot the Queen can do. She could make it clear she doesn't approve, but would that even matter? If Harry wants to hawk jewellery on QVC, as long as he is not using legally protected or copyrighted terms, I doubt she could really stop him.
I’ve seen on other blogs that some want HM/Parliament/appropriate party to take away the Dukedom. But then ( and this is a question because I honestly don’t know) would Meg be Princess Harry like Princess Michael? I cannot see William nor Charles being ok with that. I hear your point too about new LP’s but I honestly can’t see HM doing this to her grandson. Like you said, that is pretty drastic but it is an option! And I absolutely agree with you that styles, titles, or not, everyone knows he is Prince Harry, HM’s grandson and Diana’s son - no matter what he is called!

Also, this makes me sick and so sad, but if the RF “takes everything away” what do H & M have to lose by more “tell all’s “ about the RF? Truly, they - the RF - are in a very delicate position. Personally, I think that Harry and Meg will be a big(ish) deal in the US for a short while then it will die down and fizzle out - for the public at least. But they could certainly make money hobnobbing with rich folks in the US who want to tell their friends that they met/had dinner/whatever with Harry.

I think it is VERY significant that Meg didn’t show for this concert promotion for VAX. I know she is pregnant but this was taped before a live audience (not live so you know they edited it) - I went plenty of places when I was 7 or 8 months pregnant. I think that with all the backlash from The Interview, Meghan is staying out of the spotlight for a bit. We’ll see how long it lasts.
Old 05-03-2021, 08:20 PM
Heir Apparent

In Sarah's case, "Duchess of York" was essentially her surname, and after the divorce that is all it was: no longer a title, just a surname. So it followed - as is the case with most women who have taken their husband's surname on marriage and keep using it after divorce - her post-divorce name was her first name followed by the (former) husband's surname. Thus Sarah went from being HRH, The Duchess of York, to Sarah, Duchess of York. She lost the royal style of HRH automatically when she lost the royal husband because she only had it as of courtesy as his wife and to keep using it would have required the monarch's consent.

There is nothing to stop Harry just not using the Sussex title, though, unless it were removed by Act of Parliament, he would still have it and Archie would still inherit it. I can understand him still using Sussex though, because I sincerely doubt that Meghan would be happy being referred to as "Princess Harry". They could be known as Harry and Meghan Mountbatten-Windsor though I think Harry's drawing power is attached to him being Prince Harry. It needn't be; they could retreat into the background and could do good works quietly, but that doesn't appear to be the path they have chosen.
Old 05-03-2021, 08:21 PM
Majesty

We don’t know whether Meghan has been feeling unwell. Nor do we know whether she is weeks away from delivering the baby or not. According to some reports Meghan has been seen by locals looking very pregnant, as in ‘not too long to go’.

And I believe it was arranged some time ago that like some of the other participants who have backed this cause (which has already raised millions) Meghan has already taped her virtual appearance.
Old 05-03-2021, 08:44 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
In Sarah's case, "Duchess of York" was essentially her surname, and after the divorce that is all it was: no longer a title, just a surname. So it followed - as is the case with most women who have taken their husband's surname on marriage and keep using it after divorce - her post-divorce name was her first name followed by the (former) husband's surname. Thus Sarah went from being HRH, The Duchess of York, to Sarah, Duchess of York. She lost the royal style of HRH automatically when she lost the royal husband because she only had it as of courtesy as his wife and to keep using it would have required the monarch's consent.

I don't think she lost the HRH style automatically. The Queen actually had to issue Letters Patent in 1996 to clarify that former wives of British princes were not entitled to the HRH.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/...510/page/11603
Old 05-03-2021, 09:49 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I don't think Americans in particular would understand a style like "Princess Henry". It may sound natural in the UK, but it sounds odd in most other countries.
I didn't know until I started lurking here that "Princess Diana" wasn't her correct title. That's what the mainstream American media always called her. I haven't seen any real media (as opposed to blogs and whatnot) refer to "Princess Meghan," so whatever else they may be getting wrong, that's a big improvement.
Old 05-03-2021, 10:08 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by UglyAmerican View Post
I didn't know until I started lurking here that "Princess Diana" wasn't her correct title. That's what the mainstream American media always called her. I haven't seen any real media (as opposed to blogs and whatnot) refer to "Princess Meghan," so whatever else they may be getting wrong, that's a big improvement.
I would just like to see the press stop using “Kate Middleton” and “Meghan Markle”
Old 05-03-2021, 10:13 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by UglyAmerican View Post

True. I have a feeling the American media messed up because Diana was the Princess of Wales....just not Princess Diana.

I really can’t picture Meghan ever going by Princess Harry. And it would definitely confuse Americans. I don’t think it would be particularly useful to her brand either.
Old 05-04-2021, 01:08 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
Oh good lord, I just saw the clip showing "Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex" on that screen........tacky, tacky, tacky.
I know, it's looks weird to us, the American audience. Everyone in the US knows Jennifer Lopez, Selena Gomez and Ben Affleck, Prince Harry is not on their level and he is a terrible public speaker, zero charisma and boring speech
Old 05-04-2021, 01:13 AM
Majesty

That’s not what the audience thought. They cheered and gave him a standing ovation. And many online commenters praised him. Harry has always been very comfortable at public speaking. And even the DM was complimentary for them.
Old 05-04-2021, 01:31 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Ester View Post
I know, it's looks weird to us, the American audience. Everyone in the US knows Jennifer Lopez, Selena Gomez and Ben Affleck, Prince Harry is not on their level and he is a terrible public speaker, zero charisma and boring speech
I didn’t watch so I can’t judge....though overall Harry doesn’t do anything for me personally as a public speaker.
Old 05-04-2021, 01:35 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
It doesn't matter to me how he was known or that his name was in lights. It doesn't matter to me if he's an eloquent speaker or not. It doesn't matter to me if he got paid for this or if he volunteered his time like other people did for this cause. What matters to me is that he gave of his time and his energy and himself to try and make a difference in a world that severely needs to reach everyone and get them vaccinated against Covid-19.

Harry, in this case, mattered. For that he's earned my respect.
Old 05-04-2021, 01:39 AM
Heir Apparent

For me, an event like that might not be to everyone's taste, but if it helps sway even a couple of people's minds (and imo the reality is, that there are people out there who look up to celebrities and are influenced by them) about the importance of vaccination and the need to do so on a global scale, it's all good as far as i am concerned
Old 05-04-2021, 01:57 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
How about Harry and Meghan Sussex?

Closed Thread