The Duke & Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 4: April-June 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's move on from hypothetical booing during a hypothetical visit of the Duchess ...

Yes, poor Zara she was uncomfortable, but Zara lived in the same country, so there was no very long plane journey involved to attend the ceremony (which might also mean taking an under-two year old along) and there was no Covid in May 2018, with high deaths totals in the US and UK.

And Zara was 37 then; Meghan is 40 now.

Or it could be simply a convenient excuse. The strain of a funeral is bad enough for many, let alone a pregnant woman. And although I understand the sidestepping around the Oprah interview right now, let's not pretend that it didn't happen. I imagine that after Meghan's accusations and the "unproductive" conversations that followed, neither party might be eager to see the other right now.

Let's hope there's nothing wrong with Meghan's pregnancy and she's just being cautious. For all the good wishes of "mending the rift", "healing the wounds", etc., I don't believe it's going to happen and I believe that a reunion so soon, for such a grave occasion and under the sharp eyes of cameras is bound to be tense. A good deal of the coverage won't be on the funeral but on any tiny hint displayed of mending the relationship or worsening it anyway. With Meghan there, it would have been a thousand time worse. My guess is that everyone understands it and the doctors' advise might be actually nonexistent.

I am not suggesting that Meghan is using meical advice as an excuse to not attend Philip's funeral, far from it. However, I do think the pregnancy provides a good excuse for her to not be there.

Some may see it diferently, but I just think it is right that she not be present at the funeral. It really is not that long from the Oprah interview which caused so much upset, I think emotions within the family probably run high at this stage on that front. This is a time for the BRF to come together, comfort each other and come to terms with their loss, rather than having to contend with the unnecessary and deep upset caused by H&M in recent weeks.

What speculation, heard from where, just the usual key board warrior stuff.
This is about Philip and the queen , Meghan and Harry are a sideshow, please do not make this about them.
It will be about them, though. Or at least Harry because he's going to be the one there. By shooting the interview, they basically ensured that when PP died (and everyone knew that at 99, it would be quite soon), a huge part of the attention at the funeral would be on them and they did it anyway. I do give Meghan the benefit of doubt that she is decent enough to stay away on her own wish. Harry, I have no wish to comment on right now.

Overall, it's a good thing that half the drama is staying in California. I do wish her good health. But it's better for everyone that she is staying away.

I don't think it will be with just him there. It will just be like old times. I think actually this return to the family without Meghan will be a hugh think for him. And probably a time to remember what it was once like. Perhaps. Who knows it may prove to be a particularly difficult time. Self isolation. And then what will be really very little time to see his family afterwards.

I mean I persume he won't be staying long enough to build a bubble with anyone. You can have an outdoor meal and drink from Monday though.

So it will go one or two ways profound grief for everything one side and perhaps a sense of renewed warmth with his family.

I am not suggesting that Meghan is using meical advice as an excuse to not attend Philip's funeral, far from it. However, I do think the pregnancy provides a good excuse for her to not be there.

Some may see it diferently, but I just think it is right that she not be present at the funeral. It really is not that long from the Oprah interview which caused so much upset, I think emotions within the family probably run high at this stage on that front. This is a time for the BRF to come together, comfort each other and come to terms with their loss, rather than having to contend with the unnecessary and deep upset caused by H&M in recent weeks.

I think Meghan could very well have been cautioned against travel by her physician, but I also think if she weren’t pregnant there would have been another reason found for her not to go - COVID, or Archie still being quite young and not wanting to travel with him/leave him, etc. Meghan’s made her thoughts on the BRF clear enough to make me think she wouldn’t want to go to the funeral under any circumstances and I’d also bet the family is equally relieved that she’s staying home. To me, this doesn’t reflect poorly on any of them - Philip’s death doesn’t magically erase everything that’s happened and I don’t blame them for not wanting to have to smile and make nice at such an emotional time.
I agree that it’s best Meghan isn’t there.

I think Meghan could very well have been cautioned against travel by her physician, but I also think if she weren’t pregnant there would have been another reason found for her not to go - COVID, or Archie still being quite young and not wanting to travel with him/leave him, etc. Meghan’s made her thoughts on the BRF clear enough to make me think she wouldn’t want to go to the funeral under any circumstances and I’d also bet the family is equally relieved that she’s staying home. To me, this doesn’t reflect poorly on any of them - Philip’s death doesn’t magically erase everything that’s happened and I don’t blame them for not wanting to have to smile and make nice at such an emotional time.

I think it is best all around and hopefully in the future there will be similar reasons to avoid any trip to Britain. Kids being at school etc and not wanting to disrupt them I think for the next couple of years it is best if she just isn't there.

Sir Keir Starmer, Labour Opposition Leader did an interview with Decca Aitkenhead from The Sunday Times, where the subject of Harry & Meghan was briefly mentioned. More specifically, it was on tabloid treatment of Meghan and Oprah's interview.

Starmer’s predecessor, Jeremy Corbyn, was a sitting duck for the tabloids’ long tradition of casting Labour leaders as loony lefties. They will have their work cut out with this one, though. Whether or not Starmer is mindful of appeasing them, or simply telling the truth, I can’t tell, but they will certainly like what he has to say about press coverage of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex. I ask if he would describe it as racist, and he shakes his head. “I wouldn’t.”

Did he believe every word the couple said to Oprah? “I’m not in a position to say. What I did think was, like every family argument, there’s always going to be another side to the story. If it was my family, I’d know there was another side to the story. I certainly felt, what’s the other side to this? It’s just a real shame to see a family going through this in public. I wouldn’t want my family to go through anything like that.”

Keir Starmer: ‘I’m not like Boris Johnson. There’s almost nothing we have in common’
Has the Labour leader really got what it takes to be prime minister? He tells Decca Aitkenhead about his challenging first year and why he’s trailing behind in the polls
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...3?shareToken=f40dff380632a795ee6341b7373fa5a3

For some reason, I was able to access the full article. If anyone is interested, feel free to PM me, as I have kept a copy.

I think it is best all around and hopefully in the future there will be similar reasons to avoid any trip to Britain. Kids being at school etc and not wanting to disrupt them I think for the next couple of years it is best if she just isn't there.
That's only if anyone bothers with explanations. They don't owe us anything. We didn't need to know about this medical advise either.

Meghan made sure to let the world know what she thinks of the royal family. Inventing excuses when everyone can see that she has no reason to go there and no reason to be warmly expected is just creating drama. It reflects badly on them that after running their mouths to their heart's delight before Oprah and the world, they are now trying to play loving family members to their beloved family.

Just let everything blow away. Meghan doesn't need excuses not to go. Except, it's just like some posters (and I) said before PP death supposedly erased all of this: they need the image of their royalty. They need the connection. If Harry belonged to a family that was just filthy rich, without the glitter of royalty, we wouldn't be hearing all about how Meghan couldn't... when the interview should have made everyone wonder why she would ever want to return to those ugly racists.

She doesn't need any pretexts not to be there. Not now and not in the future. But I bet we'll keep getting them.

I only hope Gayle won't end up briefed on the RF's personal sorrow. Unlike many who think Harry will put his grandfather and his birth family first, I wouldn't put it past Harry - after some suitable period has passed, of course.

Last edited:
That's only if anyone bothers with explanations. They don't owe us anything. We didn't need to know about this medical advise either.

Meghan made sure to let the world know what she thinks of the royal family. Inventing excuses when everyone can see that she has no reason to go there and no reason to be warmly expected is just creating drama. It reflects badly on them that after running their mouths to their heart's delight before Oprah and the world, they are now trying to play loving family members to their beloved family.

Just let everything blow away. Meghan doesn't need excuses not to go. Except, it's just like some posters (and I) said before PP death supposedly erased all of this: they need the image of their royalty. They need the connection. If Harry belonged to a family that was just filthy rich, without the glitter of royalty, we wouldn't be hearing all about how Meghan couldn't... when the interview should have made everyone wonder why she would ever want to return to those ugly racists.

She doesn't need any pretexts not to be there. Not now and not in the future. But I bet we'll keep getting them.

I only hope Gayle won't end up briefed on the RF's personal sorrow. Unlike many who think Harry will put his grandfather and his birth family first, I wouldn't put it past Harry - after some suitable period has passed, of course.

In fairness I think if she hadn't said anything that would have created column inches. It was the right thing to do in this instance and in fairness to not turn up to big family events is a little odd. But they are on the other side of the Atlantic.

Given she probably won't make it over for anything this summer either with the unveiling. I would.say after that people will stop asking and kind of just forget.

I am the next big royal event unfortunately will be the Queens passing. There are no big weddings etc for at least another 20 or so years. And I dont think people will care if Meghan is at that. There will be other things on peoples minds and then thinks will just fade away. Obviously the public would love to have a glimpse of the children at any royal event.aswe ar likely to continue to see the other great grandchildren pretty regularly. But other than that life goes on. They are unlikely to do Christmas etc in the future. Maybe the odd Trooping of the Colout what else is there?

Not much and I hope they and the rest of the family will be happy. It is t an easy life.

Last edited:
In fairness I think if she hadn't said anything that would have created column inches. It was the right thing to do in this instance and in fairness to not turn up to big family events is a little odd. But they are on the other side of the Atlantic.

Given she probably won't make it over for anything this summer either with the unveiling. I would.say after that people will stop asking and kind of just forget.

I am the next big royal event unfortunately will be the Queens passing. There are no big weddings etc for at least another 20 or so years. And I dont think people will care if Meghan is at that. There will be other things on peoples minds and then thinks will just fade away. Obviously the public wpildnlove to have a glimpse of the children at any royal event but other than that.life goes on. They are unlikely to do Christmas etc in the future. Maybe the odd Trooping of the Colout what else is there?

I think it would have been odd for her not to turn up if they hadn't given the interview. But that's a matter of opinion.

We'll see if she's going to let the world forget about her. It might happen if they show talent in what they do. I don't see it in any other circumstances. If they're talented enough not to need the sprinkle of royalty, more power to them.

I agree about Christmas. They didn't go before they left, so why would they go now?

I'd find it extremely tasteless if they show up for the Trooping of the Colour but again, that's my personal opinion and nothing more. I'd love to see them succeed on their own and not pretend that the interview didn't happen.

Of course they explained why Meghan was not attending. It has been the second most talked about thing other than Philip's actual passing "Will they attend?" They had to say something which is also why his attendance was part of the actual palace brief.

As for the future... who knows? Time is a fascinating thing. I don't think any of us can claim to know how anyone will feel in a years time. I doubt Meghan will never set foot in the UK again. I am sure Archie and his little sister will visit.

But right row this is a time for Harry to grieve with his family and support his grandmother. That is really the important thing.

Meghan is 39 now.

Split the difference and say Zara dropped her third at the same age Meghan will drop two. And on the floor too what a palarva. Not unheard of in the UK though they are very reluctant to let mothers in to the hospital much before the birth and many are delivered by paramedics or by phone with support. Or, and I have heard this a lot recently, hospital car park.

Zara being rural would have had access to a home midwife who luckily could get there.

I think it would have been odd for her not to turn up if they hadn't given the interview. But that's a matter of opinion.

We'll see if she's going to let the world forget about her. It might happen if they show talent in what they do. I don't see it in any other circumstances. If they're talented enough not to need the sprinkle of royalty, more power to them.

I agree about Christmas. They didn't go before they left, so why would they go now?

I'd find it extremely tasteless if they show up for the Trooping of the Colour but again, that's my personal opinion and nothing more. I'd love to see them succeed on their own and not pretend that the interview didn't happen.

They did do Christmas. Only the year they were in Canada.

People will forget...so long as they dont keep the royal commentary up in the media.

And there is no need for them to go to anything.

Funeral and weddings be the big thing. But it will be a long time before a wedding. I mean even Louise is still at school and I would imagine she wouldn't be too pushed to not have a cousin who hasn't been around there And in my experience with family deaths and those living abroad is that they come and spend the time with the person before they die. As they can't be sure when exactly it will happen.

Of course no one can tell the future and the Dule at least could end up spending quite a bit of time in the UK in coming years. Who knows.

Last edited:
We don't know how far along Meghan is, but flying isn't generally advised after seven months, and she's probably past that or close to it. The flight from Los Angeles to London is over 10 hours: it's not like they're just hopping across from Paris or Amsterdam. It just wouldn't be sensible to put her and the baby at risk.

Besides there is a pandemic going on. Meghan, given her age and given that she is pregnant, obviously must not have been vaccinated (no Covid vaccine AFAIK has been approved for use in pregnant women yet). So she is susceptible to SARS-COV-2 and would be put at great risk from international travel.

I think it's for the best that they included the "medical advice" explanation. Whether or not it's true or just a polite excuse on everyone's part doesn't really matter. If they hadn't included why she wasn't coming then many, many extra column inches would be dedicated to pontificating on whether or not she was banned or refused to come "to a racist's funeral" and everything else that Harry and Meghan create about themselves. There still are those saying both but it's much less loud.

She doesn't technically need public excuses not to but it's easier just to give an official one anyway. IF some of the other spouses don't go then very few will think anything of it than "staying with the kids" or "gave up space for someone else" but this couple brings drama and it would create a narrative that's all about them.

They clearly want and need the glamour of royalty and titles for me that's not in question. The logical disassociation of calling "The institution" dysfunctional and everyone trapped but being furious Archie isn't HRH Prince shows that.

But for me it's a separate issue from Harry wanting to come back for his grandfather's funeral - even if it's just over a month from that down right nasty, disingenuous interview. If they were just a rich family or even just a famous family then none of this would matter.

Maybe it will change things, maybe it won't it's hard to tell but clearly a lot of ink will be spilled on analysing everything about Harry's interactions with the others and narratives created. We heard "this brought the brothers/father/son back together!" before and that was clearly wrong and we'll see what happens during the circus that will be the birth and after the dust settles.

I think it's for the best that they included the "medical advice" explanation. Whether or not it's true or just a polite excuse on everyone's part doesn't really matter. If they hadn't included why she wasn't coming then many, many extra column inches would be dedicated to pontificating on whether or not she was banned or refused to come "to a racist's funeral" and everything else that Harry and Meghan create about themselves. There still are those saying both but it's much less loud.

She doesn't technically need public excuses not to but it's easier just to give an official one anyway. IF some of the other spouses don't go then very few will think anything of it than "staying with the kids" or "gave up space for someone else" but this couple brings drama and it would create a narrative that's all about them.

They clearly want and need the glamour of royalty and titles for me that's not in question. The logical disassociation of calling "The institution" dysfunctional and everyone trapped but being furious Archie isn't HRH Prince shows that.

But for me it's a separate issue from Harry wanting to come back for his grandfather's funeral - even if it's just over a month from that down right nasty, disingenuous interview. If they were just a rich family or even just a famous family then none of this would matter.

Maybe it will change things, maybe it won't it's hard to tell but clearly a lot of ink will be spilled on analysing everything about Harry's interactions with the others and narratives created. We heard "this brought the brothers/father/son back together!" before and that was clearly wrong and we'll see what happens during the circus that will be the birth and after the dust settles.

I think sadly there wont be any mixing between households. So actually this will be a pretty whispery free event. Thankfully. If he bubbles with a family unit he will sit with them. Otherwise he will be on his own. And we wont be privy to any outdoor reception they be having afterwards.

I think it's good for everybody involved that Meghan is not there. The family needs peace and comfort at this time, not unnecessary tension.

I don't think the rift between Henry and the family will heal so soon. They might be wary of him, even. Sorry, but trust once broken is almost impossible to build back. William may stand beside him for the sake of a show, but we know he won't trust him again. Especially after all the things that have been said of Catherine. Not to forget, H & M couldn't have found a worst time to do it when the family, especially the Queen, were so worried about Phillip's health.

Last edited by a moderator:

This imminent analysis is what makes me not sure what to think of Harry making this extra effort to come for the funeral in the times of COVID when it's going to take away much of the funeral being about PP. Of course, it wouldn't have been quiet if he had chosen not to come either and I can't decide which is worse.

Harry wanting to go back for his grandfather's funeral is understandable. God knows that I made a hasty rush at midnight so I could attend my gradmother's funeral. But I also made a rush to the postal station, a few days before her sudden death, to congratulate her via telepost when her phone died on her birthday. You do things for people when they still live. No amount of grief after they are dead can make up for what you didn't do (or did) when they were alive. Once again, the things turn to be all about Harry - is the Queen going to heal the rift (as if that's what she should be doing right now), where he's going to walk in the procession. A good deal of everything will be about Harry and not Philip. I hope I'm wrong.

Last edited:
This imminent analysis is what makes me not sure what to think of Harry making this extra effort to come for the funeral in the times of COVID when it's going to take away much of the funeral being about PP. Of course, it wouldn't have been quiet if he had chosen not to come either and I can't decide which is worse.

Harry wanting to go back for his grandfather's funeral is understandable. God knows that I made a hasty rush at midnight so I could attend my gradmother's funeral. But I also made a rush to the postal station, a few days ago, to congratulate her via telepost when her phone died on her birthday. You do things for people when they still live. No amount of grief after they are dead can make up for what you didn't do (or did) when they were alive. Once again, the things turn to be all about Harry - is the Queen going to heal the rift (as if that's what she should be doing right now), where he's going to walk in the procession. A good deal of everything will be about Harry and not Philip. I hope I'm wrong.

If it was announced that he wasn't coming due to covid and supporting his heavily pregnant wife there would be thousands of articles analysing whether he was banned or refused to go with discussion about the rift and Meghan and everything else. I don't think it can be avoided either way thanks to their recent behaviour. He can never make up for the hurt that this last year may have caused his grandfather but also if he didn't come then he and the rest may regret it for a long time personally speaking. And the last thing we need is another potential interview where he complains he wasn't allowed to attend whether that was factual or not.

However I don't think things are currently all about Harry. Some certainly because of his living in California and recent events but there's actually less *so far* than I imagined, although I have been keeping mostly off twitter so I don't know what's going on in that cesspool.

If it was announced that he wasn't coming due to covid and supporting his heavily pregnant wife there would be thousands of articles analysing whether he was banned or refused to go with discussion about the rift and Meghan and everything else. I don't think it can be avoided either way thanks to their recent behaviour. He can never make up for the hurt that this last year may have caused his grandfather but also if he didn't come then he and the rest may regret it for a long time personally speaking. And the last thing we need is another potential interview where he complains he wasn't allowed to attend whether that was factual or not.

However I don't think things are currently all about Harry. Some certainly because of his living in California and recent events but there's actually less *so far* than I imagined, although I have been keeping mostly off twitter so I don't know what's going on in that cesspool.

I do not know about the rest, but he will surely regret it.

I agree. Nothing has been either about him or Meghan. Any news about them is being met with negativity.

Harry wanting to go back for his grandfather's funeral is understandable. God knows that I made a hasty rush at midnight so I could attend my gradmother's funeral. But I also made a rush to the postal station, a few days before her sudden death, to congratulate her via telepost when her phone died on her birthday. You do things for people when they still live. No amount of grief after they are dead can make up for what you didn't do (or did) when they were alive. Once again, the things turn to be all about Harry - is the Queen going to heal the rift (as if that's what she should be doing right now), where he's going to walk in the procession. A good deal of everything will be about Harry and not Philip. I hope I'm wrong.

I mean you are making it about Harry. He hasn't even been seen yet and will be there to grieve and support his family. Charles, Anne, Andrew (!!), and the Wessexes are all speaking of him. The focus is on Philip where it should be.

I agree so much with you! I will never get it from Harry , knowing his grandfather was 99 and coming out of Hospital , he should had gone to see him before. We know 99 your end is close, when he has the power to travel or take any plane to go. He is too self-centered including his wife.
I am sure his time there will not be easy with his brother or the rest of the family

[.....]
Yes he will be there in support of his grandmother. Just like they all are. The press will be the press. They all talking on Andrew making a public appearance today. Also Sophie speaking on Philip's final moments. They will highlight when the Cambridges make their appearance. They will be present a lot of things. It is their job.

Overall the focus rightfully on Philip and the Queen.

Anyways. The Queen and Philip's children are the ones we are seeing right now and that makes complete sense. He is their father. This is I believe what most expected to be happening.

Last edited by a moderator:
A number of completely off topic posts have been deleted, along with some that are overly argumentative and add nothing to the topic of the thread.

Please pay attention to the thread topic when you post.

Not sure why people don't believe a doctor wouldn't recommend a woman in her third trimester of a high risk pregnancy not travel over 20 hours on a plane to/from a country that is in lock down with a new variant of the corona virus floating around.

As for homebirth. People said that with Archie. They said a lot of things about that pregnancy which was mostly wrong. No one has a clue except Meghan, Harry, and her doctor. Let's keep it real.

That said I think Meghan is due early June.

In the end I think it is best for all parties that Meghan remains in the US. Harry going solo will also give him some alone time with his family and it is much needed.

HM said that Harry and his wife and child were family. In ordinary conditions, I think Meghan should go she is family too and they need to be together at family events. I don't think there will be time for much alone time. And Harry did say he and his grandparents skyped during the pandemic. I think perhaps the issues are mostly with his brother and they should work things out privately. I don't think it "best" for a family not to greet the beloved wife of a member as family. It makes things more difficult later and it gets worse. And families have been through tragedy of COVID (losing family members) all the more reason for family united and reconciliation.

They should all be united to honor Philip. That is the basis of all of this. Nothing else IMO.

Last edited:
We're no longer in full lockdown, and the infection rate across England is now down to below 30 per 100,000. However, it's unwise for a heavily pregnant woman to fly, especially all the way from Los Angeles to London.

Prince Philip's sister went into labour on a plane, the plane tried to make an emergency landing, it crashed, and everyone on board was killed. OK, that's an extreme example, and it was nearly a century ago on a small private plane, but even so. As for Harry, it's not unusual for there to be some awkwardness between relatives at a funeral - the Queen Mother and the Duchess of Windsor at the Duke of Windsor's funeral spring to mind - but I'm sure everyone will manage to be polite to each other.

As the previous poster mentioned, it is unwise for a heavily pregnant woman to fly many
miles. If Prince Harry did not go to his beloved grandfather's funeral there would probably be an big uproar about that.

I mean you are making it about Harry. He hasn't even been seen yet and will be there to grieve and support his family. Charles, Anne, Andrew (!!), and the Wessexes are all speaking of him. The focus is on Philip where it should be.

I am no fan of Harry at this time, but I agree with you. H will have to live with regrets if he has them, but that doesn’t mean he doesn’t get to say a final goodbye to his grandfather.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom