The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2021, 12:47 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
As someone who is neck deep in 3rd World medical charities I can tell you now that the concert is nothing but a political campaign. It should be noticed that many aid organizations from the Bill and Melinda Gates fund to the WHO organization have supplied vaccines and have already ordered vaccines for the 3rd world. Will they use it - due to rumors', internal politics and superstitions is another thing entirely. It should be noted that India is allowed to manufacture the Pfizer vaccine and supplied it to Southern Africa for free. South Africa then decided to wait on the JJ one.
This is not an issue that is resolved with a concert. I admire their efforts but it is ill judged. I can only see WHO rolling their eyes.

You want to understand the complexity of 3rd world medical health - ask John Green on how he is organizing efforts for a maternity hospital in Liberia. Read up on how the Queen's Jubilee Fund, together with Pfizer, Gates Foundation and Richard Branson foundation funded the Vision2020 goals in Gambia. You need political, social and economic cooperation and mutual respect on all side and most of all you need the 3rd World to make the decisions themselves and you, listen and assist.
Excellent post. I would also add that my organization is struggling with ensuring proper storage of the vaccine, which is very difficult in the third world. This is a very, very complicated operation.

That said, it is a great cause and highlights an important issue.

Old 04-27-2021, 12:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalist.in.NC View Post
This sounds like a great cause even though I’ve never heard of the organization Global Citizen. But the corporate sponsors are all big names (Coke, Delta, Verizon to name a few plus WW (Weight Watchers) so this most likely how they got involved - through Oprah.
I doubt it has anything to do with Oprah. It is a well known organization with a major branch in Canada. They also are big supporters of Meghan and have followed her for years now. Not surprised she collaborated with them.

I've been to a few Global Citizen events in NYC. It is all about highlighting a specific causes.

Old 04-27-2021, 01:15 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
As someone who is neck deep in 3rd World medical charities I can tell you now that the concert is nothing but a political campaign. It should be noticed that many aid organizations from the Bill and Melinda Gates fund to the WHO organization have supplied vaccines and have already ordered vaccines for the 3rd world. Will they use it - due to rumors', internal politics and superstitions is another thing entirely. It should be noted that India is allowed to manufacture the Pfizer vaccine and supplied it to Southern Africa for free. South Africa then decided to wait on the JJ one.
This is not an issue that is resolved with a concert. I admire their efforts but it is ill judged. I can only see WHO rolling their eyes.

You want to understand the complexity of 3rd world medical health - ask John Green on how he is organizing efforts for a maternity hospital in Liberia. Read up on how the Queen's Jubilee Fund, together with Pfizer, Gates Foundation and Richard Branson foundation funded the Vision2020 goals in Gambia. You need political, social and economic cooperation and mutual respect on all side and most of all you need the 3rd World to make the decisions themselves and you, listen and assist.
That's the whole point with India. Will the aid ever reach the people in need? Or will it end up being misused for other reasons. I'm sorry it sounds harsh, but the belief in the government is at an all time low here, even when they have gone so far as to block tweet viewing figures.

With that being said, India needs help, and I'm glad other countries are considering it. I just hope it proves to be beneficial for ordinary people.
Old 04-27-2021, 01:38 PM
Serene Highness

I know that medical supplies have been flown out from the UK, and that doctors with experience of dealing with Covid are offering assistance to Indian hospitals by video - they're dealing directly, doctor-to-doctor, without any officials being involved - and that other countries are also sending supplies.

I'm old enough to remember Live Aid, but that was raising money for food, which is a lot easier to buy in wealthy countries than vaccines or oxygen are. But I suppose the concert won't hurt.
Old 04-27-2021, 01:44 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tausi View Post
Right on!! You nailed it. There are many countries who have said bluntly that they will not accept the vaccines from developed countries because of mistrust. It's a complex issue!
There are also many countries who would gladly take them but just cannot get ahold of them... Suriname being one of them; meaning that the vaccination effort has basically been stopped until we receive new vaccines.
Old 04-27-2021, 02:53 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia View Post
Is that supposed to make it better?

If anything, that's just symptomatic of how common microaggressions are in today's culture. So much so that the victims are expected to just brush it off because of how commonplace such behaviour is. And the allegations Meghan made just speaks into that. But if we continue to silence that behaviour and expect the victims to not be "up in arms" about it, it'll never change.
At the moment, the long list of perceived microaggressions are to the point where his closest family members appear to be sole recipients of incurring damage to reputation by such allegations. A decision is made to green light a charge, knowing well the fallout that would happen to the people who both raised and supported him. 'Up in arms'...the appropriate phrase.
Old 04-27-2021, 03:31 PM
Gentry

Quote:

Thank you! I did not want to write it myself.
But like the other thing last week African Parks,
the two make very poor choices. But I guess they consider it a big thing being named with Potus.

A question, do they always point out Harry is a prince?
It looks so odd, seeing his title and then Meghan named "only" a duchess!
or is it maybe a new pattern of their's?
Could she call herself the Princess Harry?
Old 04-27-2021, 03:44 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaryllus View Post
Seems to me they go from one truly important cause and putting themselves forward as wanting to be leaders or spokespersons to the next hot button issue without actually making a difference to anyone or doing anything but making grand sounding statements. It has the effect of making everything seem so fly by night and faddish to them.

That is a fair point, they do appear to jump from the latest issue to the next, before anything is actually achieved, they appear to be under the impression that their presence in something gives it some gravitas.

Without going off topic they appear to simplify things to slogans.
Old 04-27-2021, 03:51 PM
Royal Highness

Their proclamations are a Word salad with no meat to chew on.
Old 04-27-2021, 04:11 PM
Royal Highness

I understand why some posters are a bit skeptical of Harry and Meghan's involvement but this concert is about more than asking wealthy nations to donate vaccines to nations with fewer resources, although that is certainly part of it. If it were simply about providing more doses, I would agree that the campaign would simply be a feel good event that won't really help anyone.

However, Global Citizen is also calling on wealthy nations to provide other resources, including developing cold storage capacity, which is essential to distributing the vaccine. Moreover, improved cold storage capacity in the third world will make it easier to distribute other vaccines (measles, tetanus, etc.) and even improve food distribution network in the future.

Global Citizen is not the only NGO working on this but raising awareness of this issue is a positive development that will save lives.
Old 04-27-2021, 04:51 PM
Gentry

They're only mentioned because of the royal status. Without being royals they're irrelevant and it's apparent more and more that nuclear bomb repercussions lasted two weeks tops. An updated edition of "Finding freedom" is so pathetic on everyone's part. They even showed new Archie picture but no, they're fading.
Honestly, while Meghan is smart she's not super smart, not a genius. Just another woke person.
I'm being bitchy but she must be so angry that Katherine got this iconic picture at the funeral, is being called the true queen and it's William & Kate's anniversary week and this couple is front news again and will be even more. Soon the trips will follow etc. While H&M will be trying to stay relevant doing laundry with less and less success.
Old 04-27-2021, 05:01 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by lirienn View Post
They're only mentioned because of the royal status. Without being royals they're irrelevant and it's apparent more and more that nuclear bomb repercussions lasted two weeks tops. An updated edition of "Finding freedom" is so pathetic on everyone's part. They even showed new Archie picture but no, they're fading.
Honestly, while Meghan is smart she's not super smart, not a genius. Just another woke person.
I'm being bitchy but she must be so angry that Katherine got this iconic picture at the funeral, is being called the true queen and it's William & Kate's anniversary week and this couple is front news again and will be even more. Soon the trips will follow etc. While H&M will be trying to stay relevant doing laundry with less and less success.
Is it already released?
Old 04-27-2021, 05:10 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lirienn View Post
You know, I’ve thought a lot about this whole royal status thing. I don’t guess that “prince” Harry can be taken away as he was born with that. Maybe I’m wrong???

But even if Parliament/HM/Charles took away the HRH style AND the Sussex dukedom, people would still see them as part of the royal family at least in the US, I think. And in the US, he will always be Diana’s son, that grieving little boy walking behind her coffin. So I’m not sure it would really change the thinking in the US.

I can certainly see him out of the line of succession. How on earth could he do that living in the US? And the people in the UK seem to have had their fill of both of them.

My biggest concern - if they take away the styles and titles - is Meghan and Harry’s reaction. I’m afraid that they would retaliate and share very personal information about the RF because what would they have to lose? I feel for HM, Charles, and William. If I were a “grey suit” I would be trying to figure out how to give them something they want in exchange for zipping their mouths about the RF. And if they did talk inappropriately, ...whatever would be taken away. Blackmail can work both ways.....
Old 04-27-2021, 05:19 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post
I understand why some posters are a bit skeptical of Harry and Meghan's involvement but this concert is about more than asking wealthy nations to donate vaccines to nations with fewer resources, although that is certainly part of it. If it were simply about providing more doses, I would agree that the campaign would simply be a feel good event that won't really help anyone.

However, Global Citizen is also calling on wealthy nations to provide other resources, including developing cold storage capacity, which is essential to distributing the vaccine. Moreover, improved cold storage capacity in the third world will make it easier to distribute other vaccines (measles, tetanus, etc.) and even improve food distribution network in the future.

Global Citizen is not the only NGO working on this but raising awareness of this issue is a positive development that will save lives.
With something like this, no matter why they're doing it, if Harry and Meghan can work as a magnet to draw more people and supporters towards this cause and support Global Citizen, the more power to them.

I also remember Live Aid way back in 1985 and supported it and got the t-shirt. I felt like I was doing something good. Other than Bob Geldof, I can't remember for the life of me who all participated off the top of my head and I imagine that's the category the Sussexes will fall into once this concert is a thing of the past.

I am *not* going to knock this couple for getting on board with something that really does need to be a success. I will, however, admit that the name that draws me more towards this incentive though is the POTUS. I probably won't watch the concert as that's not really in my wheelhouse these days but that's me with bad ears in the first place. Closed captioning on musical numbers just lose something in the translation.
Old 04-27-2021, 05:55 PM
Heir Apparent

I can send you a PM Osipi for the U.S. and UK line ups at the original Live Aid. Some of the performers are no longer with us, but a good number are still around.
Old 04-27-2021, 06:05 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:

My biggest concern - if they take away the styles and titles - is Meghan and Harry’s reaction. I’m afraid that they would retaliate and share very personal information about the RF because what would they have to lose? I feel for HM, Charles, and William. If I were a “grey suit” I would be trying to figure out how to give them something they want in exchange for zipping their mouths about the RF. And if they did talk inappropriately, ...whatever would be taken away. Blackmail can work both ways.....
I don't think that either threatening them or tiptoeing around them is going to prevent issues in the future. The best way forward is for the family to heal. To do that, the family shouldn't cave, but they should privately admit that there were times they could have handled things better.

At the same time, Harry and Meghan will have to accept their share of blame for the initial estrangement. Moreover, they are going to have to acknowledge that going public made everything a lot worse than it would have otherwise. I don't see Harry and Meghan taking any responsibility for a while but I am optimistic that, sooner or later, they will take steps to repair the damage they've done. I truly believe that Harry loves his family and does not truly want to damage the monarchy, despite his recent actions.
Old 04-27-2021, 06:12 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
I can send you a PM Osipi for the U.S. and UK line ups at the original Live Aid. Some of the performers are no longer with us, but a good number are still around.
Oh I'm sure the information is out there. The point was that once this is all over and said and done with, who all were involved in it such as the Sussexes will not really be remembered for it. They're just part of the "star studded" line up to draw in the people for this event.

Then again, I'm an old goat that probably wouldn't recognize most of the people on the "star studded" list if they were behind me in checkout line at the grocery store. In 1985, I think I was more "with it" than I am now. I'm more of the "don't get it" club.

Quote:
I don't think that either threatening them or tiptoeing around them is going to prevent issues in the future. The best way forward is for the family to heal. To do that, the family shouldn't cave, but they should privately admit that there were times they could have handled things better.

At the same time, Harry and Meghan will have to accept their share of blame for the initial estrangement. Moreover, they are going to have to acknowledge that going public made everything a lot worse than it would have otherwise. I don't see Harry and Meghan taking any responsibility for a while but I am optimistic that, sooner or later, they will take steps to repair the damage they've done. I truly believe that Harry loves his family and does not truly want to damage the monarchy, despite his recent actions.
In situations like this, you have one side actually screaming for attention and reactions. The best way to act is to not give them an inch. Ignoring them and just going on with things is what will annoy them the most.
Old 04-27-2021, 06:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
(snip)
I can certainly see him out of the line of succession. How on earth could he do that living in the US? And the people in the UK seem to have had their fill of both of them.
(snip)
Living outside the UK does not preclude him from the line of succession. King Harald of Norway is No. 62 in the list I just found (though that list is a bit out of date), followed by CP Haakon and lots of other foreign royals. It is possible that some of the people further up the list live outside the UK.
Old 04-27-2021, 07:10 PM
Aristocracy

Wink

Quote:

I agree with you that I don’t see them taking responsibility. My remarks were supposed to be facetious but maybe that didn’t come across. I am a bit slap happy today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
Living outside the UK does not preclude him from the line of succession. King Harald of Norway is No. 62 in the list I just found (though that list is a bit out of date), followed by CP Haakon and lots of other foreign royals. It is possible that some of the people further up the list live outside the UK.
Thanks for this info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Oh I'm sure the information is out there. The point was that once this is all over and said and done with, who all were involved in it such as the Sussexes will not really be remembered for it. They're just part of the "star studded" line up to draw in the people for this event.

Then again, I'm an old goat that probably wouldn't recognize most of the people on the "star studded" list if they were behind me in checkout line at the grocery store. In 1985, I think I was more "with it" than I am now. I'm more of the "don't get it" club.

In situations like this, you have one side actually screaming for attention and reactions. The best way to act is to not give them an inch. Ignoring them and just going on with things is what will annoy them the most.
You are absolutely correct, Osipi! That is a far more mature way to handle it by ignoring it.
Old 04-27-2021, 08:58 PM
Courtier

Some in the US media are spinning this event as “encouraging” people to get vaccinated, so it seems like it has multiple purposes.

Their involvement with this is great and kudos to them but they’re going to have to develop a really thick skin if they want to do things like this. There is going to be a significant contingent of people that will not be happy with any stance they take and they will, undoubtedly, get significant criticism.

Closed Thread