The Duke & Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 4: April-June 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
An article in the Telegraph expressing many of the same views in this thread:

How ‘bonkers’ that the US First Amendment allows media organisations to capitalise on Prince Harry’s pain and grief – as he himself said on Armchair Expert, a podcast by US actor Dax Shepard, last week. Harry’s pain and grief is, of course, a privately-owned asset from which only Harry himself should be able to profit – indeed, just like his royal title, which he and his wife tried to trademark as their personal brand. If you don’t want to have your pain and grief reported around the world, on the other hand, there is a way of preventing that happening: which is to avoid giving interviews on podcasts and on prime time TV. The reason that tabloids and glossy magazines are able to titillate their readers with Harry’s inner angst is, of course, because he keeps putting it into the public domain himself.

What keeps Princess Alexandra (to pick another random royal) awake, awake at night? What angst did she go through when her father, the Duke of Kent, was killed in a plane crash in 1942, when she was aged six? What morass of feelings did she experience when her daughter, Marina, went off the rails in her teens, when mother and daughter were alleged to have engaged in furious rows? I honestly have no idea, which is perhaps related to the fact she hasn’t signed a deal with Netflix, and indeed doesn’t tend to give interviews at all.

https://archive.ph/Zb7Cp

I'm not sure SR/MWX wrapping up is anything big, it's been inactive and insolvent for a while. They moved everything over to Archewell and other places when they got told they weren't allowed HIHO, so this is just wrapping up loose ends.

It’s difficult to see how even first steps in a process of reconciliation can take place until Harry and Meghan stop publicizing private family issues.

Harry certainly talks enough about how hard he’s fighting for his own privacy, and that of his wife and son. No doubt he would refuse to have contact with any friend or family member who did to him what he’s now doing to his own family. And rightly so - once that sort of trust has been lost it takes a long time to rebuild, and I think that’s especially true for people like members of the BRF, who have had to fight tooth and nail for a basic level of privacy. Right now Harry seems to be more concerned about the privacy of Orlando bloom’s kids than that of his father and brother.

To me it doesn’t even matter if Harry’s anger is justified - if Charles was/is a horrible father with no redeeming qualities whatsoever that’s still something for Harry to address in private. There is no legitimate public interest in any of this and Harry’s revelations benefit no one except Harry and Meghan.

I think many families can get past surprisingly severe issues with effort and the passage of time IF the details and specific complaints are kept within a small circle of people who know the people involved and have the family members’ best interests at heart. Once someone decides to broadcast the issues as widely as possible for their own gain things get more complicated, to put it mildly.

I agree with all of this, and actually Dan Wootton speaks to this in the below article. I get it’s the Mail, but I do think he raises some good point. This is not meant to compare William and Harry per se, but William wanted to clear the air with his father, who he loves, and in raising his issues with him, I’m sure W gained a greater understanding of his father. If Harry truly wanted to express his concerns and have an honest and good relationship with Charles, he just had to talk to him. Going public does nothing except inflict pain on his pa, and everyone else..He’s feeding the beast.

'It is fair to say that, even now, William does privately have conversations about the relationship with his father, which has been strained in the past.

'There was much hurt after his mother's death and both brothers at times found their father's commitment to his work difficult to comprehend.

'Just like Harry, William has learned lessons from his upbringing and ensures he puts his family time first above any other commitment.

'But William also believes continually developing and growing his relationship with his father is critical for the future of the monarchy.

'They now have a lot of mutual respect and he would never even comprehend for one moment speaking publicly in the way Harry has done in the past week.'

In fact, Harry's recent pronouncements during the interview with US star Dax Shepard appear to break an agreement made by the brothers to no longer speak publicly about the loss of their mother.

When both brothers contributed to a high profile ITV documentary about Princess Diana on the 20th anniversary of her death in 2017, William believed they had pledged not to talk about their mother again.

Speaking on behalf of his brother, he said in the documentary: 'We won't be doing this again – we won't speak as openly or publicly about her again, because we feel hopefully this film will provide the other side from close family friends you might not have heard before, from those who knew her best and from those who want to protect her memory, and want to remind people of the person that she was.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...reunion-William-honour-mother-Diana-risk.html

It’s difficult to see how even first steps in a process of reconciliation can take place until Harry and Meghan stop publicizing private family issues.

Harry certainly talks enough about how hard he’s fighting for his own privacy, and that of his wife and son. No doubt he would refuse to have contact with any friend or family member who did to him what he’s now doing to his own family. And rightly so - once that sort of trust has been lost it takes a long time to rebuild, and I think that’s especially true for people like members of the BRF, who have had to fight tooth and nail for a basic level of privacy. Right now Harry seems to be more concerned about the privacy of Orlando bloom’s kids than that of his father and brother.

To me it doesn’t even matter if Harry’s anger is justified - if Charles was/is a horrible father with no redeeming qualities whatsoever that’s still something for Harry to address in private. There is no legitimate public interest in any of this and Harry’s revelations benefit no one except Harry and Meghan.

I think many families can get past surprisingly severe issues with effort and the passage of time IF the details and specific complaints are kept within a small circle of people who know the people involved and have the family members’ best interests at heart. Once someone decides to broadcast the issues as widely as possible for their own gain things get more complicated, to put it mildly.

I have a feeling that Harry does not want a reconciliation, what will he have left to complain about? or Harry wants reconciliation happening on his terms for publicity, sort of like "see we have won this battle"

I'm not sure SR/MWX wrapping up is anything big, it's been inactive and insolvent for a while. They moved everything over to Archewell and other places when they got told they weren't allowed HIHO, so this is just wrapping up loose ends.

It’s an excellent article. My mind is blown by this..Celebrities are people, too, and of course they have their own personal issues to deal with; being famous doesn’t make you immune from pain. However, as a whole, I seriously doubt people relate to celebrities who live in multi-million follows mansions. What would they know about real suffering ? I mean the kind of suffering that much of the world endures. Much of what Harry says doesn’t make any sense at all

Talking about the increasing tendency of celebrities to spew out their inner feelings, he said: “the worse the world gets, the harder it becomes, the more suffering that there is, the more people feel they have something relatable”.

txs, Heavs.
A very good article.
I have chosen not to support the Sussex and therefore did not listen to the podcast and so far have not read about this detail the journalist pointed out.
Another proof of Harry's poor education and knowledge,
we all live in a complex world and it is certainly sometimes hard to just catch up with the daily news,
but Harry lecturing the world should really try to understand the basics when talking, if he can which I more and more doubt.

The Duke & Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 4: April 2021 -

The author makes a lot of good points.

I like, in particular, the part about him complaining about being exploited by the media while providing so much information for the media to chew on.

Harry is being very contradictory all over the place. He can’t decide whether he has privacy or not in his new home. I guess it depends on whether his goal is to blast the US media or justify his decision to move (and continually throw Charles under the bus while he’s at it).

Agreed- I think they’re wrapping up loose ends. That’s it.

Last edited:

thank you for sharing this article. I love that the author included Princess Alexandra, a class act if there ever was one.

I really don't get what's going on. Some of his comments, like the ones about the US elections, were inappropriate, but smacked of the new kid at school trying to get in with the cool gang by looking as if he shared their interests. Rather silly at Harry's age, but at least understandable. But I can't make any sense of what he's trying to achieve by abusing his own family in public, nor of that "bonkers" gobbledygook.

It’s been pointed out that in his new video session, Charles has removed all photos except one of he, HM, William and George. I guess it can be asked if he did so so that an absence of Harry photos wouldn’t raise questions. Let’s just say I don’t think it’s a coincidence.

It’s been pointed out that in his new video session, Charles has removed all photos except one of he, HM, William and George. I guess it can be asked if he did so so that an absence of Harry photos wouldn’t raise questions. Let’s just say I don’t think it’s a coincidence.

I would say it is a symbol of continuity of the monarchy. The video was in relation to the queens jubilee, with a photograph of the future of the monarchy in the background. I agree it is not a coincidence but nothing to do with Harry.

He left out Charlotte and Louis? That would not be a good thing for them to find out. And no Kate? And if he's upset with Harry, why take it out on Archie? ANd leave him out. My take on it that the "dynasty" photographs are one thing but in his home, the other grandchildren should have pictures also.

He left out Charlotte and Louis? That would not be a good thing for them to find out. And no Kate? And if he's upset with Harry, why take it out on Archie? ANd leave him out. My take on it that the "dynasty" photographs are one thing but in his home, the other grandchildren should have pictures also.

As mentioned before, the goal was probably to show the direct line to the throne only: Elizabeth >Charles > William > George.

That is pretty standard and has nothing to do with Charles' affection (or lack thereof) for his other grandchildren or his daughters-in-law.

Last edited:
If Charles was aiming for family atmosphere, the Duchess of Cornwall would have been in the shots. You know... his wife.

He clearly wasn't. It was to demonstrate the line of succession. And who knows, perhaps he doesn't *have* any recent photos of Archie to show. I found it slightly upsetting that he marked his grandson's birthday with an old picture - I suppose he doesn't have any others of himself with Archie. It would look rather odd to keep reusing it.

Why would you think he doesn't have pictures in his home?

I don't know if they have any updated personal photos of Archie, very possibily not as all the SM accounts use the Christening one.But I think if they did show of any personal recent ones from Montecito they'd get slapped with a copyright claim from Harry and Meghan ;)

The picture was clearly connected to the Tree-bilee, like many doing Zoom videos he might well have a ton of knickknacks and photos push aside just off camera.

Besides it seems like nothing less than public begging for forgiveness, taking all responsibility for everything that went wrong from when he was born to the present and a solemn promise to pay for everything would satisfy Harry and Meghan right now. He could have decorated his office with only the many photos of him and Harry bike riding and it wouldn't make a difference.

Last edited:

I don't think we should read more into this than there is. It is a video relating to the jubilee.
We do not know what is in his home, and we do not need to know.

They always move photos around. I wouldn't read anything into it. The point of the video was to promote the Queen's Platinum Jubilee - makes sense that the photo emphasises the line of succession.

If Charles was aiming for family atmosphere, the Duchess of Cornwall would have been in the shots. You know... his wife.

He clearly wasn't. It was to demonstrate the line of succession. And who knows, perhaps he doesn't *have* any recent photos of Archie to show. I found it slightly upsetting that he marked his grandson's birthday with an old picture - I suppose he doesn't have any others of himself with Archie. It would look rather odd to keep reusing it.

I’m sure he doesn’t have any recent photos of himself with Archie or else he’d have use it in his birthday message. Even if he has newer photos, maybe Charles didn’t use one of them because he didn’t have permission. Remember when William got upset for there being a photo of George on his desk that was shown in some published photos ? Charles hadn’t asked if it was ok - I’m sure it was inadvertent. Knowing how H and M don’t ever show Archie’s face, why would Charles use a newer photo? That said, again, I seriously doubt he has one.

They always move photos around. I wouldn't read anything into it. The point of the video was to promote the Queen's Platinum Jubilee - makes sense that the photo emphasises the line of succession.

I had my head up my rear end when I failed to make that connection, lol.

Oh believe me, his family can hear him

Over the last few months the wantaway Prince has taken to airing a series of grievances to favoured journalists and chat show hosts, while seemingly unaware his family can still hear him.

Now the contradictions appear to be flowing thick and fast.

Just days after comparing his life to The Truman Show film or akin to living in a zoo, he’s prepared to use his mother’s legacy to further his personal profile on the global stage.

Quite how his family will feel, who he’s still not managed to secure a channel of communication with yet, only time will tell.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-ne...r.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a little late to this conversation, but of course Harry's not discussing the Spencers. It's not because he doesn't know them, and it's certainly not because Diana's upbringing wasn't dysfunctional. It's because no one will pay gobs of cash to hear about Spencer family drama. Windsor family drama, on the other hand... :whistling:

I'm a little late to this conversation, but of course Harry's not discussing the Spencers. It's not because he doesn't know them, and it's certainly not because Diana's upbringing wasn't dysfunctional. It's because no one will pay gobs of cash to hear about Spencer family drama. Windsor family drama, on the other hand... :whistling:

ALso, ot make the Windsor's look bad, he has to conceal the faults of the Spencers.. his narrative is that he was badly treated by the RF, that its a horrible family and people are "trapped " in it..but he had the guts to break free. and that Diana was the only good relative that he had, so he can't say anything about her faults or about her family and their problems and faults.

ALso, ot make the Windsor's look bad, he has to conceal the faults of the Spencers.. his narrative is that he was badly treated by the RF, that its a horrible family and people are "trapped " in it..but he had the guts to break free. and that Diana was the only good relative that he had, so he can't say anything about her faults or about her family and their problems and faults.
He concealed the fault of the Spencers so well that even WE didn't pay attention to this glaring omission. I didn't read the thread this carefully but I don't think anyone mentioned anything about this. And I wasn't the one who thought about it either. I saw it in another forum and I was shocked it hadn't occurred to me.

Neither Harry nor Meghan got paid a cent for the Oprah interview. Nor did Harry get paid for the recent podcast. So I don’t know where all these wads of cash are coming from.

On the other hand there have been dozens of journalists, ‘royal experts’ and similar talking heads who have been paid to appear on documentaries and on other shows to speak about how ‘disgraceful’ the Sussexes are. Not to mention the hundreds of journalists who have rushed to print saying the same thing.

Clickbait on the Sussexes for the tabloids has probably done these newspaper groups a wonderful service in terms of profit. In fact it’s the UK tabloid press that has reaped the most monetary reward in this past year and a half since the Sussexes left Britain.

And then there are the books on the couple, 90% of them unfavourable, written for profit.

There are certainly plenty of people (hundreds in fact) who’ve been dragging two individuals through the mud for over a year via all sorts of outlets for cash. However I wouldn’t necessarily say a couple who have appeared on one TV show and one podcast (unpaid) in that time discussing family issues for some (not all) of the time are leading the money-hungry pack.

Last edited:
I would say it is a symbol of continuity of the monarchy. The video was in relation to the queens jubilee, with a photograph of the future of the monarchy in the background. I agree it is not a coincidence but nothing to do with Harry.
Thank you for the explanation Hallo girl. Since we know that the video was in relation to the Queen's upcoming Jubilee, then it makes perfect sense that the photograph showed the continuity of the monarchy. The photo should not be considered a "snub" to anyone else in the British Royal Family including the Sussexes.

Knowing that Prince Harry does have a love of nature, perhaps the little family could plant a few more trees on their Montecito property to honor HM's Platinum Jubilee.

Here's the video in question which begins with HM and the PoW planting a tree. Later Charles appears solo with the four generations photo in the background. (A photo that might need an update, since the youngest member is definitely a little taller now.)

Last edited:
The Duke & Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 4: April 2021 -

Pretty much. This can be seen as one long justification of his life choices IMO. And the only people responsible for his pain and misery are the Windsors.

Harry’s narrative is basically he’s the sane one of the family. (I don’t really like the word “sane”, but I’m not coming up with a better one.) . He hasn’t put it quite that way, but that’s the message IMO.

Last edited:
I'm torn between deciding if Harry is acting as a young adult that has just left home and is tasting his freedom or if he's heading towards having a midlife crisis. Maybe a mixture of both? Both seem kind of applicable in Harry's case. Decisions, decisions. :D

Harry seems close to his Spencer Aunts, Jane and Sarah. He invited them to Archie's Christening.

I have to agree. He's chosen to keep very quiet about his maternal family which certainly had an impact on his mother and later on his own life To have a more complete and balance picture of Harry's upbringing, he needs to include the Spencers.

An article from three years ago referring to Harry’s relationship with the Spencers.

https://www.eonline.com/au/news/104...tionship-with-his-mother-s-side-of-the-family

At the age of almost 13 when his mother died, Harry may not have known that much about the relationships between his mother and maternal grandmother or squabbles she had with his uncle.

Let’s not forget, that from the age of 13 he was brought up by the Windsor side of the family although there would have been periodic visits from and to his aunts and cousins. Harry was therefore immersed throughout his teens in Windsor family traditions, Windsor relationships and their undercurrents, and the Windsor way of dealing with emotions etc.

That’s of course besides the influence of boarding school to which he and William were sent within weeks of their mother’s death.

However Harry’s kept a warm and close relationship with them ever since, and it’s possible that he feels himself more Spencer than Windsor in personality, character etc. Some people do feel more of a pull towards one side of the family than the other. There’s no blame attached to that. It’s simply human nature.

Pretty much. This can be seen as one long justification of his life choices IMO. And the only people responsible for his pain and misery are the Windsors.

Harry’s narrative is basically he’s the sane one of the family. (I don’t really like the word “sane”, but I’m not coming up with a better one.) . He hasn’t put it quite that way, but that’s the message IMO.

Harry [...] his family, both as people and as for what they do and stand for. Instead of explaining why Royal life wasn't for him - too structured, had other things in mind for his life, etc.. - he attacks the institution as something terrible and to be escaped from. It didn't have to be this way, but he's chosen a scorched earth policy. He's an angry man taking his anger out on the people who love him - and IMO this is a terrible example to set. Harry is an example of how not to deal with your issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to agree. He's chosen to keep very quiet about his maternal family which certainly had an impact on his mother and later on his own life To have a more complete and balance picture of Harry's upbringing, he needs to include the Spencers.

Except it's not his maternal family who denied him a court, it's not his mother who denied him money. He didn't get what he wanted from his father and grandmother, so now he's going to show them what a mistake that was. If it means he has to rewrite his childhood, so be it.

Curryong:

However Harry’s kept a warm and close relationship with them ever since, and it’s possible that he feels himself more Spencer than Windsor in personality, character etc. Some people do feel more of a pull towards one side of the family than the other. There’s no blame attached to that. It’s simply human nature.

But what Harry is doing isn't just showing he's closer to the Spencers....he's more just being anti-Windsor. Sure we've heard that he and his father sometimes had a strained relationship - there's a lot of baggage they all had to deal with re: divorce, Diana's death, etc.. - but we also saw some genuinely warm, wonderful moments - and I'm sure there were many such moments not caught by the camera. It's not as if we had reports of Harry gravitating to the Spencers for all these years. To me, again, this is sheer anti-Windsor anger based on events relating to pre-Megxit stuff.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom