The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2021, 05:29 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
Charm itself isn’t always a positive thing - not all the time, but it can be something that someone turns on and off, depending on what they want/need and who they’re with. I suspect that Harry may have been a pretty good actor, hiding his darker side with gregarious charm. Even if true, it doesn’t mean he was a bad person, but it does mean that he’s a lot more complicated and harder than people think. People talk about how William can be fiery and hold grudges, but you know where you stand with him. It seems to me that Harry can be both of those things, but hides those parts of him
Yes, that's true. Harry is someone whom you instantly like, William is someone who is like the tough taskmaster that you grow to appreciate.

Old 04-25-2021, 09:49 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

A bunch of posts have been deleted. This thread is about the Sussexes, not about Hillary or US politics. Please stay on-topic. Any further off-topic comments will be deleted.

The discussion about the Sussexes' security and whether Charles should pay for it, has gone around and around in circles. Please move on from it.

Old 04-25-2021, 10:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

Got to get home to that billionaire...

Quote:
The royal editor of the Daily Mirror explained: "Whilst he was over here, he didn't have a chance to have a face-to-face with his father Charles.

"Apparently Charles did want to make time to see him.

"But, Harry told him 'Listen, I have got to go'."

The royal expert said that there are many in the Palace, including Charles, who want to squash the rift between Harry and the rest of the Royal Family.

He said: "It's an interesting point because while Harry received quite a frosty reception from some members of the family, there are some that do think to squash these beef with other members of the family would the right thing to do."

Reflecting on where Harry's relationship with William sits at the moment, Mr Myers explained: "There was another opportunity to speak to William.

"But it wasn't the right time or place at the Duke of Edinburgh's funeral.
https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal...latest-news-vn

Also, has Angela Levin been on another planet for a year?

Quote:
Ms Levin said on talkRADIO: 'Prince Charles has wanted for a very long time to cut the monarchy down to save costs and to make people be worth the money that they got from the taxpayer.

'I imagine that might be when Harry and Meghan are ditched from being members of the Royal family.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...e-Charles.html
Old 04-26-2021, 12:17 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Got to get home to that billionaire...

https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal...latest-news-vn

Also, has Angela Levin been on another planet for a year?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...e-Charles.html
Well Charles went away to be alone anyways...

[...]
Old 04-26-2021, 12:50 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
No he's not particularly recognisable.

Although Vegas in 2012 didn't exactly cover him in glory a lot of that was seen as "lovable rogue" even though it was potentially dangerous and stupid.

However Edward Lane Fox worked very hard to help him clean up his public image whilst still working with his "jolly Harry" persona and then he founded the Invictus Games, left the Army, started the Royal Foundation etc.

We don't know how much of his current lecturing, petulant "blame everyone else" attributes among other things were there and just glossed over by the media and public who liked "cheeky Prince Harry" who also served in Afghanistan, was trying to find his niche with royal duties and looked like he'd be fun to meet down the pub.

Dull-takes -himself- too- seriously-Harry is not one I ever though I'd see.
The press liked the Charming Prince angle because it sold well. Harry likely found it was an easy part to play - he was a wealthy, single guy and no one was asking too much of him. It’s not like the public saw him that often. He showed up, was fun and happy for an hour or so and then went back to his real life, where he likely wasn’t all smiles, jokes and hugs.

I think all working royals are actors to an extent. They play a role in public, one that’s a simplified and watered down version of their real personality. Everything goes ok as long as they stick to the script. Over time people can add nuance and depth to their public image but Harry went suddenly and dramatically off script after his marriage. He’s both adopted Meghan’s priorities and attitudes as his own and allowed the less appealing aspects of his own personality - petulance, meanness - to play out in the public sphere.

[...]
Old 04-26-2021, 07:27 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelot23ca View Post
The press liked the Charming Prince angle because it sold well. Harry likely found it was an easy part to play - he was a wealthy, single guy and no one was asking too much of him. It’s not like the public saw him that often. He showed up, was fun and happy for an hour or so and then went back to his real life, where he likely wasn’t all smiles, jokes and hugs.

I think all working royals are actors to an extent. They play a role in public, one that’s a simplified and watered down version of their real personality. Everything goes ok as long as they stick to the script. Over time people can add nuance and depth to their public image but Harry went suddenly and dramatically off script after his marriage. He’s both adopted Meghan’s priorities and attitudes as his own and allowed the less appealing aspects of his own personality - petulance, meanness - to play out in the public sphere.

[...]
I dont know waht to make of Harry. I think that under his jolly persona he has had a lot of anger, he has said so.. but it seems like his therapy hasn't really helped much. And I think that the "takes himself too seriously" thing is largely Meg's influence..
And as he has little in the way of experience of the real world [...] he's floundering now that he HAS left the royal umbrella and his anger, his spoiledness, are all showing up much more.
I don't think he really knows how to act in this new world that he's in, so he's taking his cue from Meghan [...]
Old 04-26-2021, 08:19 AM
Royal Highness

Heavs, very detailed post and well written without disrespect. TY
Old 04-26-2021, 08:29 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Yes, that's true. Harry is someone whom you instantly like, William is someone who is like the tough taskmaster that you grow to appreciate.
Yes ... if it was school, William would be the sensible boy who was always form prefect and then was made head boy, whereas Harry (before he met Meghan) would be the kid whose gang everyone wanted to be in. But Harry's not like that any more.
Old 04-26-2021, 09:38 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I suppose the question is, how many people (of those who watched) will go on to watch something they produce on Netflix? Or will watch them as the face of XYZ and pay towards their upkeep that way. America IS a huge market because of its very big population.
Everyone in the US who watched the show that I know personally was appalled by it. Friends of mine couldn’t believe they threw their family under the bus, said they’d really been married 3 days before, and that the wedding wasn’t for them but was a spectacle for the world. And the racial innuendo- just enough to damage the RF but not enough to clarify what really happened.

But now? Nobody I know in the real world is talking about them at all. Their Netflix success will depend on what they come up with and produce. If they produce something like Bridgerton? Then they’ll do just fine. A documentary on the Invictus Games? Not so much. . I don’t see folks watching something just because Harry and Meghan produced it. There are SO MANY choices these days and the topic and quality of the production will be what matters.
Old 04-26-2021, 09:46 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
but the thing is that the people who watched - not ALL of them but probalby a lot of them.. believed what was said. They didn't know the finer details and since Op didn't ask any questions really, they are going to go away with a picture of "Poor Meghan" in thier minds.
I think you might be surprised at the amount of people on this side of the pond who watched and aren't royalty fans or experts and didn't buy what was being said.
Old 04-26-2021, 10:00 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
I didn’t watch the James Corden show, but in it Harry all but gave his stamp of approval to the Crown, and thus to how it portrays his father as a villain. That is unforgivable, and just incredibly disappointing. One day, I fear, Harry will awake up missing his father - and he won’t be able to apologize, or explain, or tell him he loves him. He regrets to this day the fact that he rushed his mum off the phone before she was killed. Does he really want to experience that again? Same for his feud with William, except H seems to be aiming his daggers at his father. I think he knew exactly how the interview would come off...
I thought the Corden show was a huge embarrassment- well, I was embarrassed for the RF. He did not come across as royal at all. My sister (who doesn’t keep up with the royals at all) watched and thought it was funny and he was “really cute.” Again, she saw him as a celebrity.
Old 04-26-2021, 10:10 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmily View Post
I think you might be surprised at the amount of people on this side of the pond who watched and aren't royalty fans or experts and didn't buy what was being said.
That is interesting - I watched a programme about the interview, a few weeks ago, A British programme and some of the people on that show, were definitley buying what Meghan Oprah etc siad, and first impressions tend to stick. So there are certainly people in the UK who are "on their side"....albeit I think that overall the British aren't that willing to support them...
Old 04-26-2021, 10:17 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelot23ca View Post

[...]
I rewatched Charles at 70; hardly recognized Harry he is so different now! He had a lot of very positive things to say about his dad.
Old 04-26-2021, 10:30 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalist.in.NC View Post
I rewatched Charles at 70; hardly recognized Harry he is so different now! He had a lot of very positive things to say about his dad.
Nice, I asked this a couple of days ago.
Did you see William's reaction when Harry speaks about Charles walking Meghan to the wedding? He glances, kneads his hands...
I wonder why, was Harry wrong about Charles real feelings or William had a problem with it? Tensions seemed to be there at this very early stage.
Old 04-26-2021, 10:37 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
That is interesting - I watched a programme about the interview, a few weeks ago, A British programme and some of the people on that show, were definitley buying what Meghan Oprah etc siad, and first impressions tend to stick. So there are certainly people in the UK who are "on their side"....albeit I think that overall the British aren't that willing to support them...
Do you feel the people who appeared on that program were representative of the wider population? I only saw one poll and it seemed to be very negative for Harry and Meghan, although they have some supporters.

I think many people in the US are sympathetic to Harry and Meghan, but mostly because only about 5% of the population actually watched it. Most people here based on their opinions on the media reaction, which was overwhelmingly positive towards Harry and Meghan. Currently, the US media accepts many allegations of racism at face value. But the talk here has completely died down and I don't think there will be much interest for a while.
Old 04-26-2021, 10:42 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by valeas View Post
Nice, I asked this a couple of days ago.
Did you see William's reaction when Harry speaks about Charles walking Meghan to the wedding? He glances, kneads his hands...
I wonder why, was Harry wrong about Charles real feelings or William had a problem with it? Tensions seemed to be there at this very early stage.
I didn’t notice this but I will go back and rewatch it - thanks!
Old 04-26-2021, 11:40 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I dont know waht to make of Harry. I think that under his jolly persona he has had a lot of anger, he has said so.. but it seems like his therapy hasn't really helped much. And I think that the "takes himself too seriously" thing is largely Meg's influence..
And as he has little in the way of experience of the real world [...] he's floundering now that he HAS left the royal umbrella and his anger, his spoiledness, are all showing up much more.
I don't think he really knows how to act in this new world that he's in, so he's taking his cue from Meghan [...]
I agree. Before he met Meghan, he did an interview where he talked about how he had seen a therapist due to William's encouragement. At that point, I thought he had mostly worked out his issues, even though that can be a lifelong process. Then he met Meghan, and it seems he has regressed. I believe that Harry is very easily led and I think he is following her lead. I don't believe he really realizes what he has gotten himself into in the "real world". He has always been taken care of and now he has to take care of himself. He stated in the interview that he had been "trapped" in the RF. Given his upbringing, I am afraid one day this situation of "financial independence" that he wanted is when he is really going to feel trapped and realize that things were not so bad before. Sure he had to put up with the press, carry out engagements, and obey certain rules, but he never had to worry about making enough money to keep up a 16 bathroom house and maintain the lifestyle he and Meghan want.
Old 04-26-2021, 12:32 PM
Serene Highness

It's very common for people to feel lost when they come out of the Armed Forces, and that's without the additional issues of being part of the Royal Family. There are some very sad statistics about the levels of mental health problems and even homelessness amongst service personnel, although people are more aware of it now and there's more support available. For someone who's gone into the Army straight after leaving full time education (and Sandhurst is effectively a college/university) and then emerged into the wider world in their 30s, losing all that structure, and no longer surrounded by their comrades, it must be very difficult. That possibly explains why someone might follow the lead of a strong partner. But Harry no longer seems like the person he'd always been.
Old 04-26-2021, 04:14 PM
Gentry

A royal 'expert' called Russell Myers is now speculating that Harry was so shocked by the cold reception he received from the family at the DoE's funeral, he may pull out of coming over to unveil the statue of his mother in July.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...rt-claims.html

A misleading headline, as the article makes it clear this is simply one man's opinion, and there has been no indication whatsoever Harry will do any such thing.

I do hope he decides to attend. I can't imagine it will be easy, but this is his mother's memory...
Old 04-26-2021, 04:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sionevar View Post
A royal 'expert' called Russell Myers is now speculating that Harry was so shocked by the cold reception he received from the family at the DoE's funeral, he may pull out of coming over to unveil the statue of his mother in July.
Russel Myers is the Royal editor for the Daily Mirror.

Closed Thread