The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #1641  
Old 04-25-2021, 03:04 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Torrance, United States
Posts: 5,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Ester View Post
I would also be curious to see the demographics of the 17 million, bet you most of the viewers were from California. California is represents a completely different culture to the rest of the USA
IMHO people are not really interested in royalty at all here in California and there are good sized expat communities from nations with reigning royal families: in particular: Japan, the UK, Thailand. They'll even cover Spain even though a large percentage of the followers are not from Spain but Mexico/Central and South America. Spanish language TV will cover major Spanish royal events ie: Felipe and Letizia's wedding.
__________________

  #1642  
Old 04-25-2021, 03:05 PM
Eskimo's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Dallas, United States
Posts: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
yes I know that, 17M is a lot of people to watch a show and if most of tehm tend to be favourable towards the people on the show, then odds are that they'll watch other shows about them, or shows that they produce or buy products that they sell.
Yes as long as everything they do pull those numbers. They reran this highly watched program a week later and it was watched by about 20% of the original number, a lot of whom might have watched it the first time as well. I think that speaks to sustainable interest in them- and itís just not there at the levels they need/want it to be in order to make major bank
__________________

  #1643  
Old 04-25-2021, 03:09 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Woodbury, United States
Posts: 2,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sionevar View Post
I saw a MASSIVE reaction on social media in the days after - almost all of it wildly inaccurate and uninformed, almost all of it extremely sympathetic to Harry and Meghan, and extremely hateful to the BRF - but the fuss is now done and gone. People have moved onto other topics, or gone back to arguing about how terrible the last episode of 'Supernatural' was.

Which repeats the points others have made - H&M are celebrities now, not royals, with all the risks and rewards that brings...
Exactly. To be honest, I stayed out if the trending topics of Oprah, H and M, etc.. I knew there was almost a trigger reaction when the political pundits I follow were tweeting hateful, vile things about the BRF - these are people that never tweet about the BRF, ever. Iím guessing they donít even really know who Meghan is as an actress. She played her cards well, and now these people who previously didnít care one way or the other about the BRF probably hate them...except, they still donít care about them, lol. Like you said, itís one and done. These people didnít buy FF and they wonít but FF 2.0. Oprah was easy access..

Quote:
Originally Posted by duchessrachel View Post
Exactly, and even if many more American believed them, it does not matter whatsoever because the Monarchy represents the people of the UK and the Commonwealth. What Americans think have no bearing whatsoever on the Monarchy.
Yep....maybe H and M think that if they can garner enough sympathy it will make people buy their products, hire them for speaking engagements, etc.....but, I donít see it. Outside of that, I canít see what good getting any amount of Americans on their side will do.
  #1644  
Old 04-25-2021, 03:22 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 8,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
Yep....maybe H and M think that if they can garner enough sympathy it will make people buy their products, hire them for speaking engagements, etc.....but, I donít see it. Outside of that, I canít see what good getting any amount of Americans on their side will do.
But it is all about money. If they get a lot of Americans following them, then these people will presumably watch what they do for Netflix, or if they start selling something "real", these Americans will buy the product because they like the sellers or compaines will hire them for public speaking, because they are liked.... They're not doing the interview solely to have a go at teh RF, its also about making money in the USA.
  #1645  
Old 04-25-2021, 03:23 PM
Lee-Z's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Heerlen, Netherlands
Posts: 3,169
What surprised me that a good part of those who reacted favorably to H&M's part in the Oprah interview, linked it to 'The Crown', for many the narrative in that show was confirmed by H&M (especially the negatives towards the BRF)

Everyone ofcourse is free to form their own opinion, I'm just still surprised that Harry helped kicking his family.. and i still wonder whether he really realised up front how the Oprah interview would turn out..
__________________
Wisdom begins in wonder - Socrates
  #1646  
Old 04-25-2021, 03:26 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Woodbury, United States
Posts: 2,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
But it is all about money. If they get a lot of Americans following them, then these people will presumably watch what they do for Netflix, or if they start selling something "real", these Americans will buy the product because they like the sellers or compaines will hire them for public speaking, because they are liked.... They're not doing the interview solely to have a go at teh RF, its also about making money in the USA.
I just donít thatís going to happen; I think most of the support for them on-line was more latent dislike and hate for the BRF. I donít think all of a sudden H and M are going to be at all popular here. If they gain some new fans, though, who cares? I donít. They are never, ever going to make a real impact in this country as far as people caring about them in general. If they make money, it would be for many reasons beyond sheer popularity.
  #1647  
Old 04-25-2021, 03:28 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 8,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
What surprised me that a good part of those who reacted favorably to H&M's part in the Oprah interview, linked it to 'The Crown', for many the narrative in that show was confirmed by H&M (especially the negatives towards the BRF)

Everyone ofcourse is free to form their own opinion, I'm just still surprised that Harry helped kicking his family.. and i still wonder whether he really realised up front how the Oprah interview would turn out..
I'm sure he realized how bad it would make the RF look (if people believed it) and it clearly didn't bother him that he had a hand in savaging his family. I think he got a bit wary the next day about Philip or the queen being seen as the "one who made the racist remarks" so he made the belated announcement that it wasn't them.... but that's probably because he knew that Philip was close to the end of his life...and it might shock people to see his grandson making remarks like that, which could apply to him. Tat is what shocks me a litlte that Jolly Happy Harry carried such anger in him...
  #1648  
Old 04-25-2021, 03:32 PM
Estel's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Somewhere, India
Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I'm sure he realized how bad it would make the RF look (if people believed it) and it clearly didn't bother him that he had a hand in savaging his family. I think he got a bit wary the next day about Philip or the queen being seen as the "one who made the racist remarks" so he made the belated announcement that it wasn't them.... but that's probably because he knew that Philip was close to the end of his life...and it might shock people to see his grandson making remarks like that, which could apply to him. Tat is what shocks me a litlte that Jolly Happy Harry carried such anger in him...
He said he doesn't want anybody to think it was the Queen or Prince Philip who said it, but he was okay with thinking that Charles or William might have said it? That's really, really cold.
  #1649  
Old 04-25-2021, 03:32 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Woodbury, United States
Posts: 2,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
What surprised me that a good part of those who reacted favorably to H&M's part in the Oprah interview, linked it to 'The Crown', for many the narrative in that show was confirmed by H&M (especially the negatives towards the BRF)

Everyone ofcourse is free to form their own opinion, I'm just still surprised that Harry helped kicking his family.. and i still wonder whether he really realised up front how the Oprah interview would turn out..
I didnít watch the James Corden show, but in it Harry all but gave his stamp of approval to the Crown, and thus to how it portrays his father as a villain. That is unforgivable, and just incredibly disappointing. One day, I fear, Harry will awake up missing his father - and he wonít be able to apologize, or explain, or tell him he loves him. He regrets to this day the fact that he rushed his mum off the phone before she was killed. Does he really want to experience that again? Same for his feud with William, except H seems to be aiming his daggers at his father. I think he knew exactly how the interview would come off...
  #1650  
Old 04-25-2021, 03:36 PM
Estel's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Somewhere, India
Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
I didnít watch the James Corden show, but in it Harry all but gave his stamp of approval to the Crown, and thus to how it portrays his father as a villain. That is unforgivable, and just incredibly disappointing. One day, I fear, Harry will awake up missing his father - and he wonít be able to apologize, or explain, or tell him he loves him. He regrets to this day the fact that he rushed his mum off the phone before she was killed. Does he really want to experience that again? Same for his feud with William, except H seems to be aiming his daggers at his father. I think he knew exactly how the interview would come off...
In his defence, he probably thinks that his father was really that cruel to his mother. He was really small when the War of the Walses was happening, so he might not have known that the reality is much more complicated than he cheated, she cheated.
  #1651  
Old 04-25-2021, 03:37 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 8,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
I didnít watch the James Corden show, but in it Harry all but gave his stamp of approval to the Crown, and thus to how it portrays his father as a villain. That is unforgivable, and just incredibly disappointing. One day, I fear, Harry will awake up missing his father - and he wonít be able to apologize, or explain, or tell him he loves him. He regrets to this day the fact that he rushed his mum off the phone before she was killed. Does he really want to experience that again? Same for his feud with William, except H seems to be aiming his daggers at his father. I think he knew exactly how the interview would come off...
I think he is most angry at charles, certianly - whereas with William, he's angry but it is partly reactional to William. I think that Will hasn't hidden that he's pretty cross wiht his brother and Harry of course will lash out in return. But the big anger seems to be with Charles.
  #1652  
Old 04-25-2021, 03:45 PM
Queen Ester's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post
Yes as long as everything they do pull those numbers. They reran this highly watched program a week later and it was watched by about 20% of the original number, a lot of whom might have watched it the first time as well. I think that speaks to sustainable interest in them- and itís just not there at the levels they need/want it to be in order to make major bank
IMO, the only program that will pull in the number would be about them, I don't even think Invictus project will all that popular, unless Harry includes some documentary with himself, like the Pole trek
  #1653  
Old 04-25-2021, 03:56 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Woodbury, United States
Posts: 2,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I think he is most angry at charles, certianly - whereas with William, he's angry but it is partly reactional to William. I think that Will hasn't hidden that he's pretty cross wiht his brother and Harry of course will lash out in return. But the big anger seems to be with Charles.
I agree....and, his father is hurt and angry with him, for much better reasons. I donít see much changing soon.
  #1654  
Old 04-25-2021, 04:14 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I'm sure he realized how bad it would make the RF look (if people believed it) and it clearly didn't bother him that he had a hand in savaging his family. I think he got a bit wary the next day about Philip or the queen being seen as the "one who made the racist remarks" so he made the belated announcement that it wasn't them.... but that's probably because he knew that Philip was close to the end of his life...and it might shock people to see his grandson making remarks like that, which could apply to him. Tat is what shocks me a litlte that Jolly Happy Harry carried such anger in him...
They did know that Philip wasn't going to get better. The heart operation he had was to try and extend his life but all the family knew this was it.

That's probably one of the reasons they "clarified" that it wasn't Philip or HM because they knew he was dying and they also need a connection with her: hence the recent "Meghan loved Philip the most, they both talked to HM a lot recently" stuff.

So is Harry now going to say he was lying or forced to say any of the nice things he's said in the last 20 years about Charles (and Camilla) because he had been pretty adamant that whilst he and Charles had gone through a bad time that they had become closer and he'd seen how difficult things had been for his dad in a way that didn't sound particularly scripted.

And how much anger at his Dad is because he's apparently suddenly *not* indulging him anymore or paying for things that Harry feels it's right that someone else not him should pay for? And that combined with clips from The Crown has sparked the "and you know what?! He never took me bike riding either!" Which erm, was incorrect.

I mean there are still rumours that Charles helped out with the 16 bathrooms as a last gift.
  #1655  
Old 04-25-2021, 04:20 PM
Estel's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Somewhere, India
Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
They did know that Philip wasn't going to get better. The heart operation he had was to try and extend his life but all the family knew this was it.

That's probably one of the reasons they "clarified" that it wasn't Philip or HM because they knew he was dying and they also need a connection with her: hence the recent "Meghan loved Philip the most, they both talked to HM a lot recently" stuff.

So is Harry now going to say he was lying or forced to say any of the nice things he's said in the last 20 years about Charles (and Camilla) because he had been pretty adamant that whilst he and Charles had gone through a bad time that they had become closer and he'd seen how difficult things had been for his dad in a way that didn't sound particularly scripted.

And how much anger at his Dad is because he's apparently suddenly *not* indulging him anymore or paying for things that Harry feels it's right that someone else not him should pay for? And that combined with clips from The Crown has sparked the "and you know what?! He never took me bike riding either!" Which erm, was incorrect.

I mean there are still rumours that Charles helped out with the 16 bathrooms as a last gift.
You make very good points!

I have to confess that I had a massive crush on Harry, and a part of me still likes him. I keep looking for that playful Prince, "the lovable rogue," but nothing of it is there. I find it impossible to defend his actions with every passing day.

I was watching some of his older videos to pacify myself yesterday. How pathetic am I, really!
  #1656  
Old 04-25-2021, 04:24 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Queens Village,, United States
Posts: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
I think probably they did expect perhaps that their popularity would put pressure on BRF to give in to their demands. I still canít get over their making a big deal of the fact that their wedding garnered huge ratings...I believe they actually think that the BRF is nothing without their so-called star power (which has never done anything for me). Too bad they failed to realize that people got tired of their act and actually sided with the BRF, who did whatever they could to help people



The hits do keep coming, and they will continue to do so as long as the Crown and other productions push him as the villain in the Diana story. I think William is disgusted, actually, by the one-sidedness of it all, but Harry thinks itís all deserved, apparently. The man just keeps on going despite his knowledge that the British public dislike him and probably wonít support him as King. I admire how he just gets on with it.

Youíre right, he does know how his parents felt, and Iím sure he regretted that interview a long time ago. I think one day, maybe when itís too late, but hopefully not, that Harry will regret what he said.

Thatís fair - even non Royal watchers were fascinated (not all or even most, though, because itís a huge country) by Diana. Hence, they care to a degree about William and Harry. To some, they will always be those little boys
William and Harry IMO clearly are united in their love and admiration for their deceased mother. Neither did comment on the Crown Season 4. It makes no difference how people feel about CHarles, he's next in line to be monarch and that's that.
  #1657  
Old 04-25-2021, 04:35 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Manchester, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
You make very good points!

I have to confess that I had a massive crush on Harry, and a part of me still likes him. I keep looking for that playful Prince, "the lovable rogue," but nothing of it is there. I find it impossible to defend his actions with every passing day.

I was watching some of his older videos to pacify myself yesterday. How pathetic am I, really!
I definitely never had a crush on Harry! But I can see where you're coming from. Everyone changes over time, and, when you don't actually know someone personally, you don't know how much of their public persona is the real them. But Harry is almost unrecognisable from the person he was 10 years ago. And not in a good way.
  #1658  
Old 04-25-2021, 04:42 PM
AC21091968's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 1,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
But I cannot for the life of me understand the polls that indicate that the British public is split down the middle between not believing/being annoyed at H/M and believing them/not being sure. However unpopular they are, it’s not like most British are throwing out what they say...
I would not necessary said Harry & Meghan's popularity is split in the middle given that their favourability reached all time low according to this YouGov poll completed on 12th March after the interview. It was the first time Harry got into the negative zone. It's mostly young people and Labour voters who do not necessary support the monarchy.

Public opinion of Harry and Meghan falls to new low after Oprah interview
More people than not now have a negative view of Prince Harry, while public opinion of other senior royals largely remains unchanged
https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics...s-new-low-afte

PDF of popularity of each royal family members: https://docs.cdn.yougov.com/dkq32ft8...11%20March.pdf

PDF of the popularity of the monarchy: https://docs.cdn.yougov.com/rwltuoo3...20monarchy.pdf

In the Snap poll, more people feel sympathetic to the Queen and Royal Family than Harry & Meghan, but it's only the highest percentage not the majority. Age was the major dividing factor. Whilst not exactly the majority, only 22% of British public are sympathetic towards the Sussex, compared to 36% who sympathise with The Queen and Royal Family. I think there is a possibility that one can be sympathetic to the Sussexes, but do not necessary give then a favourable rating (instead giving them neutral or negative). Conversely, one can possibly not be sympathetic towards The Queen and Royal family, whilst giving them positive or neutral rating rather than the expected negative.

Snap poll: post-interview, the public remain unsympathetic to Harry and Meghan
As the dust settles following the controversial royal interview, what do Britons make of the situation?
https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics...w-harry-meghan

PDF of the result: https://docs.cdn.yougov.com/usmfbong...s_March9th.pdf
  #1659  
Old 04-25-2021, 04:48 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
I definitely never had a crush on Harry! But I can see where you're coming from. Everyone changes over time, and, when you don't actually know someone personally, you don't know how much of their public persona is the real them. But Harry is almost unrecognisable from the person he was 10 years ago. And not in a good way.
No he's not particularly recognisable.

Although Vegas in 2012 didn't exactly cover him in glory a lot of that was seen as "lovable rogue" even though it was potentially dangerous and stupid.

However Edward Lane Fox worked very hard to help him clean up his public image whilst still working with his "jolly Harry" persona and then he founded the Invictus Games, left the Army, started the Royal Foundation etc.

We don't know how much of his current lecturing, petulant "blame everyone else" attributes among other things were there and just glossed over by the media and public who liked "cheeky Prince Harry" who also served in Afghanistan, was trying to find his niche with royal duties and looked like he'd be fun to meet down the pub.

Dull-takes -himself- too- seriously-Harry is not one I ever though I'd see.
  #1660  
Old 04-25-2021, 05:18 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Woodbury, United States
Posts: 2,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC21091968 View Post
I would not necessary said Harry & Meghan's popularity is split in the middle given that their favourability reached all time low according to this YouGov poll completed on 12th March after the interview. It was the first time Harry got into the negative zone. It's mostly young people and Labour voters who do not necessary support the monarchy.

Public opinion of Harry and Meghan falls to new low after Oprah interview
More people than not now have a negative view of Prince Harry, while public opinion of other senior royals largely remains unchanged
https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics...s-new-low-afte

PDF of popularity of each royal family members: https://docs.cdn.yougov.com/dkq32ft8...11%20March.pdf

PDF of the popularity of the monarchy: https://docs.cdn.yougov.com/rwltuoo3...20monarchy.pdf

In the Snap poll, more people feel sympathetic to the Queen and Royal Family than Harry & Meghan, but it's only the highest percentage not the majority. Age was the major dividing factor. Whilst not exactly the majority, only 22% of British public are sympathetic towards the Sussex, compared to 36% who sympathise with The Queen and Royal Family. I think there is a possibility that one can be sympathetic to the Sussexes, but do not necessary give then a favourable rating (instead giving them neutral or negative). Conversely, one can possibly not be sympathetic towards The Queen and Royal family, whilst giving them positive or neutral rating rather than the expected negative.

Snap poll: post-interview, the public remain unsympathetic to Harry and Meghan
As the dust settles following the controversial royal interview, what do Britons make of the situation?
https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics...w-harry-meghan

PDF of the result: https://docs.cdn.yougov.com/usmfbong...s_March9th.pdf
Thanks for the info - I’m going to look at this later !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Even in his private moments, he seemed to be a happy go lucky guy. The Vegas incident comes to mind. But I really wonder how someone's charm can just vanish like that. I really liked how he represented the Queen in Jamaica, and how his hug kinda diffused some tension that had been brewing. He could've been such an asset on the world stage. Shame he threw it away for some Hollywood celebrity.
Charm itself isn’t always a positive thing - not all the time, but it can be something that someone turns on and off, depending on what they want/need and who they’re with. I suspect that Harry may have been a pretty good actor, hiding his darker side with gregarious charm. Even if true, it doesn’t mean he was a bad person, but it does mean that he’s a lot more complicated and harder than people think. People talk about how William can be fiery and hold grudges, but you know where you stand with him. It seems to me that Harry can be both of those things, but hides those parts of him
__________________

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 5 (0 members and 5 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Duke & Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 3: March - April 2021 Jacknch Current Events Archive 2203 04-06-2021 12:08 PM




Popular Tags
#royalrelatives #royalgenes abu dhabi american american history ancestry baby names baptism british british royal family british royals brownbitcoinqueen camilla parker bowles carolin china chinese ming dynasty asia asian emperor royalty qing clarence house cpr customs dresses duke of sussex earl of snowdon edward vii family tree general news thread george vi gradenigo gustaf vi adolf hereditary grand duchess stťphanie history hochberg house of windsor hypothetical monarchs imperial household jacobite japan jewellery jewelry kensington palace king edward vii list of rulers luxembourg maxima meghan markle monarchy nepal nepalese royal family pless princess alexia (2005 -) princess chulabhorn princess chulabhorn walailak princess eugenie princess laurentien princess of orange princess ribha queen consort queen elizabeth ii queen victoria resusci anne royal jewels royalty of taiwan russian court dress spain sussex swedish queen thai royal family tradition unfinished portrait united states united states of america welsh wittelsbach


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:50 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises
×