The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2021, 12:35 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
Denville, you tend to think that everything is black and white. Yes, SOME Americans are interested in the Royals, in Harry and Meghan, but MOST are not. Many Americans are interested in celebrities, but MOST are not. We are an enormous country with an enormous population, so even saying millions care about H and M means that many, many, many, many, many millions more donít. 17 million watched the Oprah interview... Thatís a strong rating for tv, but the US Population last year was 331 million. I donít need to do any further math to prove my point.
yes I know that, 17M is a lot of people to watch a show and if most of tehm tend to be favourable towards the people on the show, then odds are that they'll watch other shows about them, or shows that they produce or buy products that they sell.

Old 04-25-2021, 12:37 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post

It is really not all that surprising that things might be split. Despite what the press says and what not, we really have no way of knowing how people really feel. [There are many loud minorities and silent majorities in a lot of things, so why not this too.

People will watch and come to their conclusions and sometimes it can be surprising how people interpret and consume info presented to them. I think the reaction to the Sussexes is just another example of that.
That is very true, it also depends what else is going on at that time, we were in a strict lockdown listening to a millionaire couple complaining about money, kids were out of school for months so families who depend on school meals plus in some cases out of work or reduced wages were finding times hard, so it is all relevant. There are a number of variants that affect how somebody views a situation or even cares

Old 04-25-2021, 12:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I don't recall Harry asking Charles to fully fund him. There was definitely talk of security and it was clearly shot down. They didn't care and rightfully told Harry to figure out how to keep his family safe on his own. Honestly that is his job and he figured it out with some help from friends. Literally no issue with that.

Harry made the choice to walk away from being a working royal. Now he is figuring his way. When you don't earn a dime yourself your entire life and suddenly no longer have income coming it -- it is a shellshock. Let's not act like it wouldn't be. But again they are figuring it out.

It is really not all that surprising that things might be split. Despite what the press says and what not, we really have no way of knowing how people really feel. There are many loud minorities and silent majorities in a lot of things, so why not this too.

People will watch and come to their conclusions and sometimes it can be surprising how people interpret and consume info presented to them. I think the reaction to the Sussexes is just another example of that.
I live with my parents for several reasons, so Iím not actually criticizing Harry for being supported by his father to a degree; my issue is his taking that public, taking all of his issues public.

About the polls, thatís true. Thatís why itís dangerous to read too much into social media - most people are not on-line. I find that the people who are most unhappy are the loudest - on talk radio, on social media, etc.. because they want to air their complaints. Those who are happy - or at least satisfied - donít feel the need to shout their happiness.

I HOPE that FF isnít updated as I fear, because if it is, I donít see any reconciliation every truly happening. If Iím wrong, I will apologize.
Old 04-25-2021, 12:43 PM
Majesty

The book will probably be updated, Omid is in it for the money and if he can make more money with a new edition, he'll do that. I dont really know if it will makes things any worse with the BRF. The interview itself was such a kick in the teeth that I can't imagine anything being much worse. (Unles they do another interview with even more accusations.)
Old 04-25-2021, 12:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
yes I know that, 17M is a lot of people to watch a show and if most of tehm tend to be favourable towards the people on the show, then odds are that they'll watch other shows about them, or shows that they produce or buy products that they sell.
I donít think thereís any way to tell how many of those were/are now favorable to them, despite the hue and cry on social media. I think only their stans will support them in everything by watching all their shows, buying all their products, etc.. People who donít like or just donít care about H and M might still watch their shows because theyíre interested in the topics, not because of H and M..

Quote:
The book will probably be updated, Omid is in it for the money and if he can make more money with a new edition, he'll do that. I dont really know if it will makes things any worse with the BRF. The interview itself was such a kick in the teeth that I can't imagine anything being much worse. (Unles they do another interview with even more accusations.)
If itís as bad as I fear, I think it will put the nail in the coffin of any hope for reconciliation - thatís why it would make things worse. More details about the racist/suicide complaints, revelations of grief-stricken family members at the funeral...the updates, if true, have the potential to be highly damaging and hurtful.
Old 04-25-2021, 12:49 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Denville, you tend to think that everything is black and white. Yes, SOME Americans are interested in the Royals, in Harry and Meghan, but MOST are not. Many Americans are interested in celebrities, but MOST are not. We are an enormous country with an enormous population, so even saying millions care about H and M means that many, many, many, many, many millions more don’t. 17 million watched the Oprah interview... That’s a strong rating for tv, but the US Population last year was 331 million. I don’t need to do any further math to prove my point.
There's also the category of Americans that perceive royalty as celebrities that put on a rip roaring good show/wedding. I would even go as far as to state that a lot of Americans that watched the Oprah interview did so because a) they were stuck at home, b) it was 8 pm at night on a Sunday which equates "boring" and c) they were Oprah fans to begin with.

17 million watching the interview isn't anywhere near a person that got 74 million votes and still lost. This puts it all in perspective for me.
Old 04-25-2021, 12:55 PM
Majesty

but the thing is that the people who watched - not ALL of them but probalby a lot of them.. believed what was said. They didn't know the finer details and since Op didn't ask any questions really, they are going to go away with a picture of "Poor Meghan" in thier minds.
Old 04-25-2021, 12:56 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
There's also the category of Americans that perceive royalty as celebrities that put on a rip roaring good show/wedding. I would even go as far as to state that a lot of Americans that watched the Oprah interview did so because a) they were stuck at home, b) it was 8 pm at night on a Sunday which equates "boring" and c) they were Oprah fans to begin with.

17 million watching the interview isn't anywhere near a person that got 74 million votes and still lost. This puts it all in perspective for me.
To put this into further perspective... Netflix's most successful series to date, Bridgerton, was watched by 82 million households in its first 28 days of availability. I highly doubt that anything H&M produce for them will have that level of viewership in 328 days of availability let alone the first 28 days of availability.

Yes, the Oprah interview had huge ratings for 8pm on a Sunday night when the only other options would be regular-season NBA or NHL games or possibly some NCAA March Madness games.
Old 04-25-2021, 12:58 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
but the thing is that the people who watched - not ALL of them but probalby a lot of them.. believed what was said. They didn't know the finer details and since Op didn't ask any questions really, they are going to go away with a picture of "Poor Meghan" in thier minds.
That is what has always annoyed me, what an unbalanced programme it was. For all we know we might have put more faith in to what they said if they had provided a fuller picture, but they didn't.
Old 04-25-2021, 12:59 PM
Nobility

Quote:
I would also be curious to see the demographics of the 17 million, bet you most of the viewers were from California. California is represents a completely different culture to the rest of the USA
Old 04-25-2021, 01:01 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Even if half the people watching believed - hook, line and sinker - everything that "Poor Meghan" and Harry had to say and weren't turned off by the over-reactions from Oprah to the bombshell allegations, that's, at most 2.5-3% of our population. It's like... 3rd party Presidential candidate level of support - so non-existent it doesn't even get the candidate to the presidential debates prior to the general election.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Ester View Post
I would also be curious to see the demographics of the 17 million, bet you most of the viewers were from California. California is represents a completely different culture to the rest of the USA
I doubt it. I'd say California is no more interested in royalty than most other parts of the country (lived there for nearly 20 years before moving back to Oregon). I'd be more curious to see age, gender and race demographics of the 17 million that watched than geographic location.
Old 04-25-2021, 01:05 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnystar View Post
I doubt it. I'd say California is no more interested in royalty than most other parts of the country (lived there for nearly 20 years before moving back to Oregon). I'd be more curious to see age, gender and race demographics of the 17 million that watched than geographic location.
I meant more in terms of other celebrities and studio bosses, to gauge the their marketability.
Old 04-25-2021, 01:07 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Even if half the people watching believed - hook, line and sinker - everything that "Poor Meghan" and Harry had to say and weren't turned off by the over-reactions from Oprah to the bombshell allegations, that's, at most 2.5-3% of our population. It's like... 3rd party Presidential candidate level of support - so non-existent it doesn't even get the candidate to the presidential debates prior to the general election.
I suppose the question is, how many people (of those who watched) will go on to watch something they produce on Netflix? Or will watch them as the face of XYZ and pay towards their upkeep that way. America IS a huge market because of its very big population.
Old 04-25-2021, 01:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
If it’s as bad as I fear, I think it will put the nail in the coffin of any hope for reconciliation - that’s why it would make things worse. More details about the racist/suicide complaints, revelations of grief-stricken family members at the funeral...the updates, if true, have the potential to be highly damaging and hurtful.
Remember how people really built up his book in the first place and it was painfully boring and not nearly as scandalous as expected? I mean I didn't read it but that is what I gathered from the comments here.

Again I don't think it will be anything. In fact I would place money on it being a whole lotta nothing except more coins in Omid's pocket because people were fooled yet again.

Quote:

This I also agree with. People are curious about celebrities and royalty (which many view as one in the same). Royal watchers are a small bubble of people. We enjoy following their lives but I can honestly say that majority do not outside of major events like birth, death, weddings, and a big gathering where we might see some tiaras. That is pretty much it. Other than that they don't really give a hoot.

So yes there will be people who solely support the royals. There will be people who support Harry and Meghan. I feel no matter which side you lean there will always be curiosity. I have lost count on how many times I have heard certain sections of the media claim to not care and yet still report on every thing they ALL do. You can't have it both ways.

There are over 7 billion people on this planet. We will never know.
Old 04-25-2021, 02:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

Yes, I think many of those viewers do fall into that category. Really, I just think the vast, vast majority of Americans donít care.

Quote:
I donít know what they believed - on-line reaction doesnít represent most people. Even if all 17 million believed M, it doesnít matter; most of them still donít care about H and M and will have moved past the interview as soon as it was over.

Quote:
Remember how people really built up his book in the first place and it was painfully boring and not nearly as scandalous as expected? I mean I didn't read it but that is what I gathered from the comments here.

Again I don't think it will be anything. In fact I would place money on it being a whole lotta nothing except more coins in Omid's pocket because people were fooled yet again.

This I also agree with. People are curious about celebrities and royalty (which many view as one in the same). Royal watchers are a small bubble of people. We enjoy following their lives but I can honestly say that majority do not outside of major events like birth, death, weddings, and a big gathering where we might see some tiaras. That is pretty much it. Other than that they don't really give a hoot.

So yes there will be people who solely support the royals. There will be people who support Harry and Meghan. I feel no matter which side you lean there will always be curiosity. I have lost count on how many times I have heard certain sections of the media claim to not care and yet still report on every thing they ALL do. You can't have it both ways.

There are over 7 billion people on this planet. We will never know.
If I recall, FF was not flattering to Charles especially, but also William and Kate. It probably fell flat in the UK because, by then, H and M were unpopular there and no one really believed them or wanted to hear what they said. Regardless, it didnít set the world on fire, though Iím sure it hurt his family. The fair thing to do is wait and see whatís in it before getting all upset, so Iíll not freak out about it until I see excerpts that give me reason to.
Old 04-25-2021, 02:26 PM
Gentry

Quote:
I donít know what they believed - on-line reaction doesnít represent most people. Even if all 17 million believed M, it doesnít matter; most of them still donít care about H and M and will have moved past the interview as soon as it was over.
I saw a MASSIVE reaction on social media in the days after - almost all of it wildly inaccurate and uninformed, almost all of it extremely sympathetic to Harry and Meghan, and extremely hateful to the BRF - but the fuss is now done and gone. People have moved onto other topics, or gone back to arguing about how terrible the last episode of 'Supernatural' was.

Which repeats the points others have made - H&M are celebrities now, not royals, with all the risks and rewards that brings...
Old 04-25-2021, 02:26 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
To put this into further perspective... Netflix's most successful series to date, Bridgerton, was watched by 82 million households in its first 28 days of availability. I highly doubt that anything H&M produce for them will have that level of viewership in 328 days of availability let alone the first 28 days of availability.
As a streaming service, Netflix is interested in subscriptions, either getting new customers or keeping the customers they have. I assume that Netflix doesn't expect whatever Harry and Meghan produce will be ratings blockbusters as much as they want the publicity that will accompany any program associated with them. The media and a certain segment of the population is interested in Harry because of his royal connections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO
Harry made the choice to walk away from being a working royal. Now he is figuring his way. When you don't earn a dime yourself your entire life and suddenly no longer have income coming it -- it is a shellshock. Let's not act like it wouldn't be. But again they are figuring it out.
The royal family does work. People may disagree whether the effort is worth the cost, but they do work. The Queen is 95 and goes through her box every day. Charles and Anne are still working despite being at an age when most people are retired - and there is no end in sight.

Harry was not only a member of the Armed Forces and he took his royal role seriously. The issue is that Harry apparently felt that he should continue to receive financial support and free security even after he stepped back from his royal role.

I think that alone revealed a lot about his true character - and none of it good. Harry is furious because he expected his father to fund a lavish lifestyle while he worked only when he felt like it. They gave the interview only a couple of months ago and there have been no indications that he has grown up in the interim.

Quote:
If I recall, FF was not flattering to Charles especially, but also William and Kate. It probably fell flat in the UK because, by then, H and M were unpopular there and no one really believed them or wanted to hear what they said. Regardless, it didnít set the world on fire, though Iím sure it hurt his family. The fair thing to do is wait and see whatís in it before getting all upset, so Iíll not freak out about it until I see excerpts that give me reason to.
Honestly, I have not read Finding Freedom but I think only Catherine and to a lesser extent, William, were criticized. I seem to recall that the book described Charles as a second father to Meghan. Of course, that was when he was still financially supporting them.
Old 04-25-2021, 02:35 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalist.in.NC View Post
Edit: yep, itís true, and I was right. Good grief...

*Senior Royal sources werenít there, so they shouldnít be dismissing this ďsummitĒ between C, W, H and Kate, which I believe did happen.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/h...date-whwjv5g32
If anyone can post an archive of this, Iíd appreciate it! This is behind a paywall. Thanks so much! [/QUOTE]

Here is a link: https://archive.ph/5esFi
Old 04-25-2021, 02:43 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Of course it is quite a change. However, the main issue is that Harry and Meghan themselves stated publicly (before even reaching an agreement with the BRF) that they wanted to be independent and earn a professional income. So, if after that decision that you pushed yourself, you find out that you actually need to make a professional income, it is rather self-indulgent to complain about suddenly needing to earn a living in some way - because your father is no longer funding you because you decided to quit working for the family business.

It was extremely naÔve to think that they would only loose the 5% of the Sovereign Grant; or that they could force the BRF to agree with their initial plan by making their requirements public. Luckily the BRF showed that they cannot be blackmailed - even though it seems the Sussexes still haven't gotten that message; as their interview (and earlier messages that they had a lot to tell about the BRF...) does feel like an attempt to blackmail the BRF into going along with their demands.
Old 04-25-2021, 03:01 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I don’t know what they believed - on-line reaction doesn’t represent most people. Even if all 17 million believed M, it doesn’t matter; most of them still don’t care about H and M and will have moved past the interview as soon as it was over.
Exactly, and even if many more American believed them, it does not matter whatsoever because the Monarchy represents the people of the UK and the Commonwealth. What Americans think have no bearing whatsoever on the Monarchy.

Closed Thread