The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #1601  
Old 04-25-2021, 10:53 AM
ACO ACO is offline
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 3,584
Oh I fully agree that Harry is a privileged, pampered royal. I just don’t think it’s sad that he wants to earn a living now. Wasn’t that one of the big issues? Having to fund them? No longer an issue.
__________________

  #1602  
Old 04-25-2021, 10:53 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Philadelphia, United States
Posts: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
That tweet doesnít do anything for me. If there is to be no update, say that directly. Speak to exactly what is inaccurate. Nah, I wouldnít have believed him anyway, lol
Probably the new edition being paperback rather than hardcover. It's an irrelevant detail that didn't need to be included in the denial, and one that most other outlets didn't bother to include when they republished the same story. It's also consistent with how he carefully parsed words about how Meghan and Harry had never directly spoken with him.
__________________

  #1603  
Old 04-25-2021, 11:11 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Scotland, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
Oh I fully agree that Harry is a privileged, pampered royal. I just donít think itís sad that he wants to earn a living now. Wasnít that one of the big issues? Having to fund them? No longer an issue.
I will disagree on the problem with funding, it was never an issue when they were working members of the family, it became a problem when they expected to be funded plus provided with security while living in another country and no longer carrying out royal duties.

I am quite pleased for them if they can earn the money for the lifestyle they wish, good luck to them.
  #1604  
Old 04-25-2021, 11:15 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Scotland, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by UglyAmerican View Post
Probably the new edition being paperback rather than hardcover. It's an irrelevant detail that didn't need to be included in the denial, and one that most other outlets didn't bother to include when they republished the same story. It's also consistent with how he carefully parsed words about how Meghan and Harry had never directly spoken with him.
The wording was interesting, not a complete denial just some of the information possibly not 100% accurate. As somebody previously said all of these books have follow ups/ updates so probably nothing unusual in itself but will be interesting to see what is included.
  #1605  
Old 04-25-2021, 11:18 AM
ACO ACO is offline
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 3,584
I remember quite the complaints about their home, her wardrobe, her baby shower, etc. so clearly it was an issue. And they refunded and now don’t take a cent from the royals or the tax payers.

Omid is playing the UK media. It’s a simple update. The website actually just states there is a new introduction. Lol. So all this for that? But hey it’s been discussed for pages and articles being written in popular papers. Talk about easy peasy PR. He doesn’t have to really do anything. And why would he correct it? He about promoting his book.

He covers his basis saying he didn’t claim anything and let the media/public do the rest.
  #1606  
Old 04-25-2021, 11:24 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Scotland, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
I remember quite the complaints about their home, her wardrobe, her baby shower, etc. so clearly it was an issue. And they refunded and now don’t take a cent from the royals or the tax payers.
Yes people thought some of it was tacky and over the top , and we moaned on here, but the reality was that their security or funding would never have been removed while they were working royals.

Harry also complained about losing the funding and the security

Kate and William experienced similar comments when both KP and their Sandringham home were refurbished.
  #1607  
Old 04-25-2021, 11:29 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 8,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
Oh I fully agree that Harry is a privileged, pampered royal. I just donít think itís sad that he wants to earn a living now. Wasnít that one of the big issues? Having to fund them? No longer an issue.
No, funding wasn't an issue per se, but if he didn't work as a prince, then obviously he would not be funded as a prince. and he's not "earning a living". he's using his status as a royal to take up a "job" doing interviews about his family, or being "the face of" something...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
I remember quite the complaints about their home, her wardrobe, her baby shower, etc. so clearly it was an issue. And they refunded and now donít take a cent from the royals or the tax payers.

the rest.
Err um, Harry "doesn't take a cent" because he's not getting the taxpayers fudning his security anymore.. and Charles clearly refused to go on paying for him.... From what he said at the interview he was not happy about this and seems to have thought that the taxpayers should go on paying his security and Charles should go on helping him.
  #1608  
Old 04-25-2021, 11:35 AM
ACO ACO is offline
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 3,584
I didn't say it would be removed. I said it was clearly an issue and it was. Of course they wouldn't removed it as they were working royals. That is the whole argument in itself. Funding the royals.

Yes Harry seemed surprised his security was being removed. We all know that song and dance but again he now pays for it himself and reimbursed Frogmore Cottage (again showing it was an issue) despite not even living there.

I think we can all agree it is the for best and maybe this will set a realistic precedent for future generations since this issue (though this was more extreme) keeps coming up.
  #1609  
Old 04-25-2021, 11:36 AM
Queen Ester's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
So to some extent they ultimately will be doing what Ken Warfe, Paul Burrell etc..do with their books about Diana and subsequent interviews. Repeat the same stories to make more money. How very sad to see that what began with such hope and promise has become in less than three years.
I seriously doubt it, the American public is really not interested in them. We would rather read about the movie stars, Angelina and Brad, Gwyneth, Hellen Mirren, Russel Crow, etc. Unless, they count on the British audience.
  #1610  
Old 04-25-2021, 11:43 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Scotland, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Ester View Post
I seriously doubt it, the American public is really not interested in them. We would rather read about the movie stars, Angelina and Brad, Gwyneth, Hellen Mirren, Russel Crow, etc. Unless, they count on the British audience.
IMO the British public in the main no longer care about them.

I am sure people would turn out to see them if they appeared at an event but to be honest I do not think they are missed.

Some never cared about royalty in the first place, others have jumped on the interview as a stick to beat the royals with others like me who follow the royals liked what they ,in particular, were achieving but are now very disappointed in their behaviours.
They have left the UK, good on them they made their choice and hope it goes well for them, but for their own dignity I hope they avoid tagging on the coat tails of the family,
  #1611  
Old 04-25-2021, 11:45 AM
ACO ACO is offline
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 3,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Err um, Harry "doesn't take a cent" because he's not getting the taxpayers fudning his security anymore.. and Charles clearly refused to go on paying for him.... From what he said at the interview he was not happy about this and seems to have thought that the taxpayers should go on paying his security and Charles should go on helping him.
Charles hasn't funded Harry since March 2020 and that was because he was still a working royal. The moment that ended was when all the money ended except what his mother left him. I have zero issue with that. Harry was used to not worrying about money due to how he was raised and needed a reality check of the real world.

He is still a very privileged man. He will constantly have opportunities the average person will not just due to who he is. I don't think anyone will ever deny that. So he might as well use it now and secure their future.

So I have zero issues with making commercial deals with the likes of Netflix. Looking forward to seeing what other programs they will announce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Ester View Post
I seriously doubt it, the American public is really not interested in them. We would rather read about the movie stars, Angelina and Brad, Gwyneth, Hellen Mirren, Russel Crow, etc. Unless, they count on the British audience.
I think overall that is royalty in general on both sides of the pond. I will say the majority truly don't care for any of them outside of respecting The Queen.
  #1612  
Old 04-25-2021, 11:46 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 8,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
I didn't say it would be removed. I said it was clearly an issue and it was. Of course they wouldn't removed it as they were working royals. That is the whole argument in itself. Funding the royals.

Yes Harry seemed surprised his security was being removed. We all know that song and dance but again he now pays for it himself and reimbursed Frogmore Cottage (again showing it was an issue) despite not even living there.

I think we can all agree it is the for best and maybe this will set a realistic precedent for future generations since this issue (though this was more extreme) keeps coming up.
he didn't have any choice but to pay for it himself. Canada was not going to pay any longer, and it appears that Charles also refused to pay. As for Frogmore, he was clearly advised to pay back the money for its redecoration... and since it now seems to have been passed on to the Brookbanks, he is presumably no longer responsible for paying a rent for it, whether market or peppercorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
Charles hasn't funded Harry since March 2020 and that was because he was still a working royal. The moment that ended was when all the money ended except what his mother left him. I have zero issue with that. Harry was used to not worrying about money due to how he was raised and needed a reality check of the real world.

He is still a very privileged man. He will constantly have opportunities the average person will not just due to who he is. I don't think anyone will ever deny that. So he might as well use it now and secure their future.

So I have zero issues with making commercial deals with the likes of Netflix. Looking forward to seeing what other programs they will announce.
The point is, that harry himself clearly did not realize that leaving the RF meant giving up free security and an allowance from his father. According to what he said, he ONLY took the Netflix deal under pressure, because he had no money coming in and had to do something. And it seems that Charles was pushed into stopping taking his calls over these issues... so it took a time for Harry to realize that "financial independence" meant that he was on his own and had to provide for himself...
  #1613  
Old 04-25-2021, 11:53 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 8,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Ester View Post
I seriously doubt it, the American public is really not interested in them. We would rather read about the movie stars, Angelina and Brad, Gwyneth, Hellen Mirren, Russel Crow, etc. Unless, they count on the British audience.
There must be people in the US who are interested, or they would not have secured an interview with Oprah....
  #1614  
Old 04-25-2021, 11:55 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Woodbury, United States
Posts: 2,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
Itís sad to earn a living instead of living as a pampered prince?
Itís an odd question to ask about a wealthy man whoís got his wealth due to his family and has just publicly ripped his father for not keeping him up in the lifestyle to which heís been accustomed.
  #1615  
Old 04-25-2021, 12:00 PM
ACO ACO is offline
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 3,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
he didn't have any choice but to pay for it himself. Canada was not going to pay any longer, and it appears that Charles also refused to pay. As for Frogmore, he was clearly advised to pay back the money for its redecoration... and since it now seems to have been passed on to the Brookbanks, he is presumably no longer responsible for paying a rent for it, whether market or peppercorn.
Well according to the reporters Harry wasn't advised at all. He did it because he didn't want any debts and it took the palace by surprise. I don't think they expected (or requested) him to pay it back whatsoever. But I am glad he did. Also when they did it they also paid years of rent in advance. The Brooksbanks haven't had it passed on to them in that regard, as it seems they relocated when Harry returned for that week. The palace very much still refer to it as the Sussexes UK home per their own press release.

All in all, I am not even disagreeing with you about the money. I fully agreed that Harry (like all the royal) are pampered and privileged. He never had to worry about money nor security at any part of his life until he was forced too. I am glad he got that reality check. It was needed.
  #1616  
Old 04-25-2021, 12:04 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Woodbury, United States
Posts: 2,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallo girl View Post
IMO the British public in the main no longer care about them.

I am sure people would turn out to see them if they appeared at an event but to be honest I do not think they are missed.

Some never cared about royalty in the first place, others have jumped on the interview as a stick to beat the royals with others like me who follow the royals liked what they ,in particular, were achieving but are now very disappointed in their behaviours.
They have left the UK, good on them they made their choice and hope it goes well for them, but for their own dignity I hope they avoid tagging on the coat tails of the family,
But I cannot for the life of me understand the polls that indicate that the British public is split down the middle between not believing/being annoyed at H/M and believing them/not being sure. However unpopular they are, itís not like most British are throwing out what they say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
There must be people in the US who are interested, or they would not have secured an interview with Oprah....
Denville, you tend to think that everything is black and white. Yes, SOME Americans are interested in the Royals, in Harry and Meghan, but MOST are not. Many Americans are interested in celebrities, but MOST are not. We are an enormous country with an enormous population, so even saying millions care about H and M means that many, many, many, many, many millions more donít. 17 million watched the Oprah interview... Thatís a strong rating for tv, but the US Population last year was 331 million. I donít need to do any further math to prove my point.
  #1617  
Old 04-25-2021, 12:15 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Scotland, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
But I cannot for the life of me understand the polls that indicate that the British public is split down the middle between not believing/being annoyed at H/M and believing them/not being sure. However unpopular they are, itís not like most British are throwing out what they say...
The first days after the interview there were reactions, as I said some used it as a stick to beat the royals others couldn't have cared less.

I would not go as far as to say they are split down the middle.

Meghan was very clever how she worded things, enough to suggest an element of truth but not enough to fully clarify what she was saying. Dangerous .

A sentence out of a paragraph....a carrot to instigate talk and trouble and play the victim card but not enough to be clear on what the facts are/ were.

Correct me if I am wrong but anywhere in that interview did they suggest that at any time they could/ should have done things differently, was there anything that they said or over reacted to that they might regret. No they played the victims, Multi millionaire victims whose funding had been stopped .
Another thing about the funding is that part of it is to cover the cost of their staff and expenses it is not a pool of money for them to spend as they see fit. I have often wondered if that was the problem , they wanted the money for themselves not for staff.
  #1618  
Old 04-25-2021, 12:20 PM
Lori138's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 103
"The reality is that the BRF and the monarchy are capable of holding their own in a battle of wits whereas Harry and Meghan are basically unarmed. "

I love this statement!
  #1619  
Old 04-25-2021, 12:21 PM
ACO ACO is offline
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 3,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
Itís an odd question to ask about a wealthy man whoís got his wealth due to his family and has just publicly ripped his father for not keeping him up in the lifestyle to which heís been accustomed.
I don't recall Harry asking Charles to fully fund him. There was definitely talk of security and it was clearly shot down. They didn't care and rightfully told Harry to figure out how to keep his family safe on his own. Honestly that is his job and he figured it out with some help from friends. Literally no issue with that.

Harry made the choice to walk away from being a working royal. Now he is figuring his way. When you don't earn a dime yourself your entire life and suddenly no longer have income coming it -- it is a shellshock. Let's not act like it wouldn't be. But again they are figuring it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
But I cannot for the life of me understand the polls that indicate that the British public is split down the middle between not believing/being annoyed at H/M and believing them/not being sure. However unpopular they are, itís not like most British are throwing out what they say...
It is really not all that surprising that things might be split. Despite what the press says and what not, we really have no way of knowing how people really feel. There are many loud minorities and silent majorities in a lot of things, so why not this too.

People will watch and come to their conclusions and sometimes it can be surprising how people interpret and consume info presented to them. I think the reaction to the Sussexes is just another example of that.
  #1620  
Old 04-25-2021, 12:30 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Woodbury, United States
Posts: 2,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallo girl View Post
The first days after the interview there were reactions, as I said some used it as a stick to beat the royals others couldn't have cared less.

I would not go as far as to say they are split down the middle.

Meghan was very clever how she worded things, enough to suggest an element of truth but not enough to fully clarify what she was saying. Dangerous .

A sentence out of a paragraph....a carrot to instigate talk and trouble and play the victim card but not enough to be clear on what the facts are/ were.

Correct me if I am wrong but anywhere in that interview did they suggest that at any time they could/ should have done things differently, was there anything that they said or over reacted to that they might regret. No they played the victims, Multi millionaire victims whose funding had been stopped .
Another thing about the funding is that part of it is to cover the cost of their staff and expenses it is not a pool of money for them to spend as they see fit. I have often wondered if that was the problem , they wanted the money for themselves not for staff.
I hope youíre right... but they are unpopular, that I believe.

I also think that (based on clips Iíve seen) Meghan perfected that calm, restrained voice which she knew that people would take more seriously than if she sounded hyper emotional...
__________________

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 7 (0 members and 7 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Duke & Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 3: March - April 2021 Jacknch Current Events Archive 2203 04-06-2021 12:08 PM




Popular Tags
#royalrelatives #royalgenes abu dhabi american american history ancestry baby names baptism british british royal family british royals brownbitcoinqueen camilla parker bowles carolin china chinese ming dynasty asia asian emperor royalty qing clarence house cpr customs dresses duke of sussex earl of snowdon edward vii family tree general news thread george vi gradenigo gustaf vi adolf hereditary grand duchess stťphanie history hochberg house of windsor hypothetical monarchs imperial household jacobite japan jewellery jewelry kensington palace king edward vii list of rulers luxembourg maxima meghan markle monarchy nepal nepalese royal family pless princess alexia (2005 -) princess chulabhorn princess chulabhorn walailak princess eugenie princess laurentien princess of orange princess ribha queen consort queen elizabeth ii queen victoria resusci anne royal jewels royalty of taiwan russian court dress spain sussex swedish queen thai royal family tradition unfinished portrait united states united states of america welsh wittelsbach


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:26 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises
×