The Duke & Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 4: April-June 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, that's what the royal aides said, "the royal aides want them to give up the titles or explain why not"

That is the best request for firing them immediately as these so-called "royal aides" have no any say on this matter and should know their place.

I just wish people would let him live and let the BRF fight out their wars amongst each others.

Really? What an odd statement considering Harry is the one ripping his family in public on his OWN volition, and considering the fact that the BRF isn’t warring with each other at all.

For me, the bad taste is that Harry and Meghan want to make a career out of all this, talking about deeply personal matters in public.
Harry could have left the BRF and dealt with his shortcomings in private and quietly. Yes, you can speak about your mental health in public and encourage other people to address their problems but you don't need to discuss every detail in podcasts or in high profile interviews.
Your freedom ends when you enter the other people's freedom. To mention other people, like Kate or Charles or the grandparents, what they have done or not done, is trash talking, pure and simple. Even worse, when you do it in order to get money or attention of an audience you want to use for paying for your lifestyle in the long run.
Nobody's family is perfect, especially parents, but in most cases they do their best or have best intentions.
In the long run, it won't end well, I am sure.

This is one of the best comments IMO.

I know we are not to discuss his intelligence but I do wonder "is there anyone out there who tells him he makes himself look like a fool? Surely there must be people in his environment who know that he is talking rubbish. The thing he said about the first amendment? that is horrible and so stupid. Again surely there must be some friend who tells him off? :confused::confused:

I have always learned most by doing things wrong,?
But it is necessary to listen to others... I hope he does, otherwise it does not end well at all.:sad:

Really? What an odd statement considering Harry is the one ripping his family in public on his OWN volition, and considering the fact that the BRF isn’t warring with each other at all.

I would even venture to say that the reality is that Harry isn't going all out to have a war with his family with the express purpose of causing harm even though his actions and his words seem to do exactly that. Harry, at this time, seems to be at war mostly within his own self and is trying to rationalize, restructure, understand his own place in things and find what he needs to do to provide a happy and well balanced life for himself and his family. So far, it doesn't look like its going all too well for him. He seems caught between a rock and a hard place right now and sharing his journey with whoever cares to listen. That's his prerogative though. If only *one* person identifies with Harry and does decide to seek the help of a mental health professional, it's all worth it.

I'm just relating how I see it all. Doesn't mean that everyone sees this as I do and that's what makes this place so excellent for discussions and learning other people's viewpoints.

Do you really think that Harry's doing this to help others? Its seems to me that he's driven by a lot of anger that he's carried against his family for years and is now letting out.

:previous: Yes that is true that Harry Meade chose to have a party with the theme of Africa. I'm just sorry that the then twenty year old Prince Harry decided to wear that particular costume. He was an adult and he's ultimately the one responsible for the decision to wear it including the swastika arm band. However he has apologized and hopefully learned from the experience. As for Prince William his 21st birthday party theme was "Out of Africa" and it was selected for his love of the continent and his gap year experiences there.

BBC NEWS | UK | Partying prince turns Windsor wild

I personally don’t think an “oh hey, I’m sorry” is enough...

I just don't understand why they want to keep using them, if Harry says what he means about RF the he being hypocritical, he should not be able to have both ways, keep the titles and say that living in RF is akin to being in a Truman show

Because that’s all they have to offer...their titles. Seriously, if he were Harry Smith, would anyone hire him - based on his “resume”- to speak about mental health? Would he be headlining concerts ? Podcasts ? Would Netflix have signed him to some lucrative deal to produce programs for them?

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you really think that Harry's doing this to help others? Its seems to me that he's driven by a lot of anger that he's carried against his family for years and is now letting out.

I believe he *thinks* he's doing this to help out others. There's a time and a place though to be able to really speak out on one's issues but the public domain is not one of them. Especially if you're going to involve the character and reputation of other people. Especially people that are well known as public figures around the world.

There's a reason that people feel safe within recovery groups or group therapy sessions. It's a staunch rule that whatever is said there, stays there. I can't see any mental health professional applauding Harry for what he's doing right now in the public domain. His words and actions tend to make me believe that he's winging all this "mental health therapy" on his own without any real professional guidance whatsoever.

I would even venture to say that the reality is that Harry isn't going all out to have a war with his family with the express purpose of causing harm even though his actions and his words seem to do exactly that. Harry, at this time, seems to be at war mostly within his own self and is trying to rationalize, restructure, understand his own place in things and find what he needs to do to provide a happy and well balanced life for himself and his family. So far, it doesn't look like its going all too well for him. He seems caught between a rock and a hard place right now and sharing his journey with whoever cares to listen. That's his prerogative though. If only *one* person identifies with Harry and does decide to seek the help of a mental health professional, it's all worth it.

I'm just relating how I see it all. Doesn't mean that everyone sees this as I do and that's what makes this place so excellent for discussions and learning other people's viewpoints.

That’s being very kind to Harry, IMO, and I couldn’t disagree more...Why should one person possibly deciding to seek professional help be worth the public vilification of his family ? IMO it’s not, and frankly, all Harry has done is aired his grievances for all the world to see instead of just simply saying he’s gone to see a professional for some issues he has. He clearly never spoke to his father about these issues that suddenly have cropped up, he just waylaid him with these grenades that, IMO, were clearly meant to hurt him and his family.

Like you said, we all have our opinions...I’m glad we can all engage in civil discourse about a subject that we feel passionate about

Because that’s all they have to offer...their titles. Seriously, if he were Harry Smith, would anyone hire him - based on his “resume”- to speak about mental health? Would he be headlining concerts ? Podcasts ? Would Netflix have signed him to some lucrative deal to produce programs for them?

That has nothing to do with it. The Earl of Ulster and the Earl of St Andrews do nothing for the royal family but nevertheless they (and their children) will be Dukes (of Gloucester and of Kent) one day.

They belong to British aristocracy. The late 3rd Baron Glenconner purchased Mustique on the Grenadines and led a most peculiar life, partly outside the UK. Anyway, his grandson is the current 4th Baron Glenconner and still in the fabric of British high society. Should the Glenconner peerage have been repealed as "punishment" for a hedonistic lifestyle of his grandfather?

It would be the same as taking away the title Earl Spencer from the brother of the late Diana because he prefers to live in South-Africa. Money has nothing to do with it, but a Duke simply belongs to the highest aristocracy and Harry, as a prince if the blood royal, as son to a King, as brother to a King, simply is in that highest stratosphere of society. There is no any reason for Parliament to assemble and repeal the LP given by Her Majesty, to rip Harry, Archie and their future heirs from a hereditary peerage.

Last edited:
I know I’ve said this before, but I think his insecurity over being “the spare”, his annoyance that William has been “given” things or has been treated differently, has festered into an open wound. The Queen wouldn’t allow H and M to have their own court at Windsor, and Charles supported her. H wasn’t at all happy. Then Charles “cut him off” and that set H off. He’s not loved or wanted enough...so now Harry looks back at his entire childhood through angry eyes and he sees his father in a new light. That’s why all of a sudden he doesn’t remember riding bikes with him, why he wasn’t well-treated, etc...

What I wonder is why he feels he is more entitled than Princess Anne, Prince Andrew, or Prince Edward. I know Andrew is really no longer in the picture, but Anne and Edward do not have their own courts, and they are the Queen's children. I do think that if Charles is at fault for anything it is that he probably spoiled Harry too much. But, that is no excuse because Harry is now a grown man close to 40 who is responsible for the consequences of his own decisions.

Last edited:
Quite a few well-known men in their 20s and 30s have bravely spoken out here about their mental health problems. They're mainly British sportsmen or TV/radio presenters whose names might not mean a lot abroad, so I won't write a list, but none of them have publicly trashed their own families in the process.

I've got no idea what Harry thinks he's doing. Maybe I'm naïve, but, even after the Africa interview, I didn't think things would be like this - I thought he might cause the royal family some embarrassment by doing tacky adverts, like Peter's milk advert but more high profile, but I didn't expect him to spend his time abusing his own family in public. And he just doesn't seem to get that this is a problem. By all accounts, he was genuinely surprised that he wasn't welcomed back with open arms at Prince Philip's funeral. He just seems detached from reality.

That has nothing to do with it. The Earl of Ulster and the Earl of St Andrews do nothing for the royal family but nevertheless they (and their children) will be Dukes (of Gloucester and of Kent) one day.

They belong to British aristocracy. The late 3rd Baron Glenconner purchased Mustique on the Grenadines and led a most peculiar life, partly outside the UK. Anyway, his grandson is the current 4th Baron Glenconner and still in the fabric of British high society. Should the Glenconner peerage have been repealed as "punishment" for a hedonistic lifestyle of his grandfather?

It would be the same as taking away the title Earl Spencer from the brother of the late Diana because he prefers to live in South-Africa. Money has nothing to do with it, but a Duke simply belongs to the highest aristocracy and Harry, as a prince if the blood royal, as son to a King, as brother to a King, simply is in that highest stratosphere of society. There is no any reason for Parliament to assemble and repeal the LP given by Her Majesty, to rip Harry, Archie and their future heirs from a hereditary peerage.

Well I think it does, especially in America, which is what we’re talking about since H and M are here and not in the Netherlands ...and I never said anything in my post about repealing their titles...

I agree that a few years back, I think before he was dating Meg, there was an uneasy "Look at me" vibe from Harry. Im not sure what it was, if he was always trying to be noticed by the public.. and he did sometimes say thins that I thought were best left unsaid. But everyone does that sometimes. And I thought that in spite of his desire to "be seen" a bit too much, there was genuine compassion for those who were less fortunate. Now from what he's saying, that was all an act...

Your post made me think about Harry's interview (linked below) with Melody Hobson at the Obama Foundation Summit in 2017. During that interview he suggested that the Monarchy, or as he called it the "institution", treated his mother badly. Also, he suggested that young people “have all the solutions” to fix the world’s problems more so than older people because of all their connectivity. Thirdly, when asked by Melody Hobson about the number of charities he, William, and Kate supported as compared to his Grandmother, he says that we no longer live in a world where it works to just show up once a year to an event. I remember thinking then that I wondered how that made the hundreds of charities of which the Queen supports by showing up once per year feel. I am sure they greatly appreciate it and it works for them. He says you have to be involved and passionate about your work. I agree that it is good to be passionately involved with charities, but passionate involvement is not necessary for every charity. Just a visit by a royal personage can bring a lot of attention to them. I remember thinking that I supposed all these charities that have the Queen, Prince Charles, and the Duchess of Cornwall as patrons can just kiss Royal patronage goodbye when they die if it is not one that Harry was “passionate” about. I remember thinking then that he needed to grow up a little bit.
So I believe that the Harry we are seeing now has always been there. He was just kept under control to a large degree by his handlers, but now that he has broken with the royal family, t looks like is bent on self-destruction without even realizing it. It is really very sad to watch. I can't begin to imagine how awful it is for Prince Charles, the Duchess of Cornwall, the Queen, Prince William and the Duchess of Cambridge to watch this.

Interview

To be honest I think she's right there with him. She complained about security as well and clearly wanted Archie to be an HRH Prince title. She's also hanging on to DOS with her teeth in every appearance she makes. She was the most the one most likely to have written that HIHO statement and have her friends in the press wondering why HM took the amazing Meghan on a train journey to the Mersey Bridge of all places(!). They *both* seemed upset that the monarchy didn't bend to the bright stars that were the Sussexes and change everything.

She's also the one who in FF couldn't understand why Kate didn't drop everything and rush to meet her BIL's new girlfriend in a 100 mile journey from Norfolk to London despite the fact that Kate had 2 small children and a busy life etc.

She has more experience in the real world and appears more savvy but everything points to the idea that she also feels "special" and wants the perks without necessarily doing the work. Harry also said the journey from Montecito to LA gave him the chance to look over his notes and I would bet Meghan had a hand in prepping those.

She might have a different perspective on some things and roll her eyes at some of it but I don't think she's discouraging this "I was miserable, trapped and treated badly until Meghan made me get help and see the light" perspective, quite the opposite. And in FF again it's noted that one of the reasons she broke up with her first husband is that he refused to network for her (allegedly) and didn't take her to the Oscars.

I missed this. What was this statement?

What I wonder if why he feels he is more entitled than Princess Anne, Prince Andrew, or Prince Edward. I know Andrew is really no longer in the picture, but Anne and Edward do not have their own courts, and they are the Queen's children. I do think that if Charles is at fault for anything it is that he probably spoiled Harry too much. But, that is no excuse because Harry is now a grown man close to 40 who is responsible for the consequences of his own decisions.

Harry is a different person than his aunt and uncle... I’m not going to criticize Charles for allowing his sons freedoms since he was probably reacting to his own childhood - and I think he’s been a good father in any case (William hasn’t made the same choices as Harry). Like you said, Harry is and has been responsible for his own decisions for a long time.

Oh boy... I already expect the worst

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-f...hobox&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1621263745-1

Since there are no current plans to remove Harry’s titles, let’s move on from the circular discussion about whether his title will be taken away.

Let’s also move on from the discussion about Harry wearing a costume with a swastika armband.

Quite a few well-known men in their 20s and 30s have bravely spoken out here about their mental health problems. They're mainly British sportsmen or TV/radio presenters whose names might not mean a lot abroad, so I won't write a list, but none of them have publicly trashed their own families in the process.

I've got no idea what Harry thinks he's doing. Maybe I'm naïve, but, even after the Africa interview, I didn't think things would be like this - I thought he might cause the royal family some embarrassment by doing tacky adverts, like Peter's milk advert but more high profile, but I didn't expect him to spend his time abusing his own family in public. And he just doesn't seem to get that this is a problem. By all accounts, he was genuinely surprised that he wasn't welcomed back with open arms at Prince Philip's funeral. He just seems detached from reality.
No, I dont think anyone really thought that that was on the cards, even if he wanted to bash his family, and I think the signs were beginning to show a year ago that he did, one didn't think that he would do it, if only because his grandmother is the queen and a very old lady.. and also because if he does fall out iwth his family who will he turn to for help if things go awry? but now a year later, there has been very loud public bashing and its clear that he really really wants to do this..That a year away has only led to his still having these angry feelings burgeoning and that he thinks that he looks good by abusing htem.

Y
So I believe that the Harry we are seeing now has always been there. He was just kept under control to a large degree by his handlers, but now that he has broken with the royal family, t looks like is bent on self-destruction without even realizing it. It is really very sad to watch. I can't begin to imagine how awful it is for Prince Charles, the Duchess of Cornwall, the Queen, Prince William and the Duchess of Cambridge to watch this.

Interview

but It sounds like Harry was never all that passionate anyway. Mixing with the less fortunate seems to have aroused in him feelings that he was envious of them or had to force a smile to do a job he didn't want to do. It seems as if the one thing that he had that was really good about him, a genuine kindness towards those less fortunate, was something he was not really feeling and was basically faking

Last edited:
Anonymity

I believe he *thinks* he's doing this to help out others. There's a time and a place though to be able to really speak out on one's issues but the public domain is not one of them. Especially if you're going to involve the character and reputation of other people. Especially people that are well known as public figures around the world.

There's a reason that people feel safe within recovery groups or group therapy sessions. It's a staunch rule that whatever is said there, stays there. I can't see any mental health professional applauding Harry for what he's doing right now in the public domain. His words and actions tend to make me believe that he's winging all this "mental health therapy" on his own without any real professional guidance whatsoever.

Who you see here, what you hear here stays here. Good for the soul and family.

No, I dont think anyone really thought that that was on the cards, even if he wanted to bash his family, and I think the signs were beginning to show a year ago that he did, one didn't think that he would do it, if only because his grandmother is the queen and a very old lady.. and also because if he does fall out iwth his family who will he turn to for help if things go awry? but now a year later, there has been very loud public bashing and its clear that he really really wants to do this..That a year away has only led to his still having these angry feelings burgeoning and that he thinks that he looks good by abusing htem.

As I've not listened to the podcast and only rely on what has been related here, has Harry really ever mentioned anything at all in regards to a good support system he has in place? Is he actively seeking professional therapy at all? Or has he roadblocked everyone that has ever been in any way, shape or form there for him besides Meghan and declared the bunch of them the source of all his problems?

This is what worries me the most. Right now, he's riding on a high of being sought out and made to feel that what he is doing is valuable and pertinent to the public. He's built his life as a house of cards that one good, swift gust of wind can cause it all to come tumbling down around him. Harry's life story isn't one that is sustainable to be a motivational speaker about. It's big news now *only* because he's dragging the entire British royal family into it. People are lapping it up as they do when the tabloids print their stories that Harry and Meghan had such a huge problem with. What happens if Harry's story surpasses its 15 minutes of fame and Netflix dries up and all the other ventures that seem so promising right now don't pan out? There's so many "ifs" that it does seem to me that Harry is hell bent on burning his bridge on both ends but doesn't realize that he's doing it from the middle of the bridge itself.

Pride does go before a fall and I'll say it again. Harry seems to me to be standing on the edge of a cliff in hurricane force winds without a parachute and its a long ways to fall off that cliff. I really hope it never happens but the signs are all there that it easily could.

The Duke & Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 4: April 2021 -

I’m reading a book on medieval queens. And this passage from William of Malmesbury observed the following about Queen Matilda, wife of Henry. It’s nearly 1,000 years old, but still fits IMO. To be clear, before I quote him, I am not saying this is all the motivates Harry or Meghan. By any stretch. But the passage did resonate with me:

“For the desire for fame is so rooted in the human mind that hardly anybody is satisfied with the reward of a good conscience, but is fondly anxious.”

Part of what I see in Harry and Meghan is a desire for attention and validation. On their terms, of course. But it’s still there IMO. Otherwise....why be so very public about everything. (Yes- I do think they think they’re helping people at times. But it also smacks of attention getting, revenge, lashing out, validation, seeking to demonstrate that they were right to leave- after not getting their HIHO plan approved- of course.)

Last edited:
It is aptly said that we all play the leading character in our lives. Harry sure is!

Harry is basking in the limelight right now. - But the light is blinding.
He can't see his fellow actors, he can't see the extras and above all he can't see the audience - nor the critics scribbling away on the front row.

He is performing, awaiting the applause he is sure must come.

- It's really a Greek tragedy we are seeing. Except, this is no play.

That is the best request for firing them immediately as these so-called "royal aides" have no any say on this matter and should know their place.

Im sure they do know their place which is to give advice to teh royals.

His mother recognized it very early:

What did she say?

I'm not worried about William, but what will become of Harry?

As I've not listened to the podcast and only rely on what has been related here, has Harry really ever mentioned anything at all in regards to a good support system he has in place? Is he actively seeking professional therapy at all? Or has he roadblocked everyone that has ever been in any way, shape or form there for him besides Meghan and declared the bunch of them the source of all his problems?

T.

I find it hard to believe that he is NOT seeing a therapist.. but OTOH, its hard to believe that a good therapist would really advise him to make these public attacks on people. So perhaps he's not seeing anyone. So how does he plan to use all this to help others? Surely, as he's not a professional the best thing would be to advise people watching his programme about mental helath to seek help from a counsellor.. and if he's given up on therapy, how can he do that?

What did she say?

Can you quote where you heard this please? I seem to remember Diana saying something like "Harry's the naughty one, like me, always in trouble"... but I doubt if she meant that seriously....

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought what Diana said was: They will take care of William. I have to look out for Harry, he has my brains.

What did she say?

Diana was worried about William since he would be one to be monarch. Diana expected fully to live a normal life span so I doubt she'd have worried about what happened to Harry. Diana did not think anything "wrong" with Harry. She said William was a "deep thinker" and Harry was the mischievous one.

It is aptly said that we all play the leading character in our lives. Harry sure is!

Harry is basking in the limelight right now. - But the light is blinding.
He can't see his fellow actors, he can't see the extras and above all he can't see the audience - nor the critics scribbling away on the front row.

He is performing, awaiting the applause he is sure must come.

- It's really a Greek tragedy we are seeing. Except, this is no play.

His behavior is no way indicating that he’s basking in it. He’s just angry, lashing out and wants the world to know it.

I find it hard to believe that he is NOT seeing a therapist.. but OTOH, its hard to believe that a good therapist would really advise him to make these public attacks on people. So perhaps he's not seeing anyone. So how does he plan to use all this to help others? Surely, as he's not a professional the best thing would be to advise people watching his programme about mental helath to seek help from a counsellor.. and if he's given up on therapy, how can he do that?

I agree - in fact, I said the same thing earlier. No qualified therapist would encourage Harry to tear into his family like he has; they'd advise him to speak to his father or other family members, tell them how he feels.......but, of course, that presupposes that Harry wants to work things out with them. I don't think he does, not based on his actions. The therapist would also advise him to try and work out his issues in their sessions - that's what therapy is for. How is Harry setting a good example for anyone in tearing into his family? I think it's incredibly irresponsible, frankly.

I think it's only going to get worse.......but, in a sense, not for Charles and the BRF. By that, I mean that it WILL be bad for them because I think they'll be hurt (especially Charles.....), but Harry will also come off looking bad. Then again, when the Diana segment of this Oprah series airs........whew.

When did anyone from Apple, Harpo Productions or anyone else, including Oprah or Harry, announce that there was to be a Diana segment on their new show? I can believe that Harry may go into the trauma he felt when he walked behind his mother’s coffin at some point in the forthcoming show, just as several years ago William also mentioned how he felt doing it. However I doubt that there will be a whole segment on Diana at any time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom