The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-24-2021, 05:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy345 View Post
Harry himself complained about his family especially his father and he was the one who dealt with the unnamed person who talked about Archie's appearance. I did not see Meghan "putting down" Kate. She praised her and said she was a good person. Also, I firmly believe that if Kate had denied the crying story or if a KP spokesperson did, a lot of problems and ill will could have been avoided. I think that there was ill will between the Cambridges and the Sussexes which came to a head. During that service Kate and William looked daggers and snubbed the Sussexes. I don't think all the fault can be put at the feet of the Sussexes. Maybe HM or Charles should have stepped in. I think of course there are differences of opinions about the Sussexes. Some view them positively.
The Sussexes had equal access to the KP press office when the crying story was first published as that was where they were headquartered at that time. They had not split their communication team yet. They could have chosen to have a rebuttal issued at that time but chose to not do so. They could have chosen to share Meghan's side of the story via "Finding Freedom" which they collaborated with authors. However they chose to say that no one cried. They could have mentioned this in the South Africa interview, but again chose not to do so.
They had opportunities but chose to wait until 2021 with Oprah.

Old 04-24-2021, 05:05 PM
Nobility

Harry did speak out and seemed unhappy with his father which was expressing his feelings. I don't think they "lied". Royals like Diana and Sarah found out are not free to leave the residence without security or just cannot up and leave. So there is truth in that. Oprah like Barbara Walters did give interviews. I am not sure there are "serious" journalists around anymore. Just my take on it. Some like Mike Wallace had retired (and he has since passed away. And depending on the journalist may be biased (there are right wing and left wing sympathetic journalists these days). Charlie Rose was forced to resign and he did various interviews.

Old 04-24-2021, 05:14 PM
Royal Highness

The Duke & Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 4: April 2021 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fem View Post
In my opinion, I've been viewing that wrong all this time. The Sussexes don't see themselves as the wronged party, they see Meghan as the wrong party. It would make total sense given the commentary we've received from both Omid Scobie and Gayle King.

I think they want the BRF to admit Meghan was not treated right - by them as an organisation and as a family and by the press. I think they want, maybe not a public apology, but more recognition on how hard this has been for her. Even though they already did that, maybe not enough.

At this point, I think whatever exactly it is Harry and Meghan want- I tend to think they want at least some of it to be public. Their interview of complaints was (obviously) public. Gayle and Scobie keep commenting publicly on the situation- where things stand, Meghanís ďjourneyĒ, etc. If thatís what it takes for reconciliation, I donít see it happening. The Palace has made their public comments on the situation. Thatís it.

Meghan seems to be the primary wronged party- simply because she was the focus of the interview, and the ďher journeyĒ comments. A lot seems to be about her.
Old 04-24-2021, 05:19 PM
Nobility

Harry certainly expressed his own grievances in that interview--he seemed to indicate he had unresolved issues (not just security) with his father. I would not say it is all about her. Also, I do think that they are worried also about security for their son and the daughter born during the Summer.
Old 04-24-2021, 05:27 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Harry himself complained about his family especially his father and he was the one who dealt with the unnamed person who talked about Archie's appearance. I did not see Meghan "putting down" Kate. She praised her and said she was a good person. Also, I firmly believe that if Kate had denied the crying story or if a KP spokesperson did, a lot of problems and ill will could have been avoided. I think that there was ill will between the Cambridges and the Sussexes which came to a head. During that service Kate and William looked daggers and snubbed the Sussexes. I don't think all the fault can be put at the feet of the Sussexes. Maybe HM or Charles should have stepped in. I think of course there are differences of opinions about the Sussexes. Some view them positively.
It would be easier for me to acknowledge that the Meghan and Harry are not completely at fault if they took responsibility for anything. I have heard nothing about that interview or subsequent reports that indicate that the Sussexes acknowledge that they are not perfect either. I keep going back to the fact that they blamed the palace human resources department because Harry didn't arrange for his wife to get mental health care.

Whatever we think about the policy, the royal family rarely issues denials and that was explained to Meghan. We know there have been many ugly stories about the family that have not been denied.

Moreover, I don't think the silly article was that really that important to Meghan and she is changing the story to better fit her narrative. If she was really upset at the time, she could have sent her friends to the media (as she was doing with her family's statements) or released her own statement. She also could have corrected the record when cooperating with Finding Freedom. The fact that she didn't do any of that speaks volumes in my opinion.

That said, I am sure Harry and Meghan have legitimate complaints, although I haven't heard any. No one is perfect and I doubt the other members of the family are without fault. None of that justifies publicly embarrassing your family.
Old 04-24-2021, 05:33 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
It would have been really, really nice if that once the interview was over and done with, Harry and Meghan stuck to what was claimed as "they're not going to say any more about it". They probably figured they'd drop the bomb and leave the cleanup and the apologies and the resolutions to just start flowing into their inboxes like spam and phishing emails. That didn't happen. They figured things wrong. A lot of what they did boomeranged right back on their own heads and they didn't count on that happening.

The interview and Meghan's "truths" were a flash in a pan for entertainment purposes for two hours and pretty much quickly forgotten by the general viewing public. We all saw the international coverage that the funeral of the Duke of Edinburgh drew in and the subsequent stories about Harry and his family. Oh... Meghan was mentioned as "watching on TV" for the most part with some places reporting that she had "sent a wreath". The Sussex PR team have had to really work to make sure Meghan even gets noticed or mentioned hence why they issue "statements" and feed Scobie and Co. with "information".

Truth be told, marrying Harry brought Meghan up to the international level of coverage that the royal family does get year in and year out. Harry moving with Meghan to California is most likely to drop him down to the level of fame that Meghan had prior to marrying into the royal family. I think that is not what the couple counted on happening but they counted on a whole lot of things that didn't come to pass into reality.

The reality is that the BRF and the monarchy are capable of holding their own in a battle of wits whereas Harry and Meghan are basically unarmed.
Old 04-24-2021, 05:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post
It would be easier for me to acknowledge that the Meghan and Harry are not completely at fault if they took responsibility for anything. I have heard nothing about that interview or subsequent reports that indicate that the Sussexes acknowledge that they are not perfect either. I keep going back to the fact that they blamed the palace human resources department because Harry didn't arrange for his wife to get mental health care.

Whatever we think about the policy, the royal family rarely issues denials and that was explained to Meghan. We know there have been many ugly stories about the family that have not been denied.

Moreover, I don't think the silly article was that really that important to Meghan and she is changing the story to better fit her narrative. If she was really upset at the time, she could have sent her friends to the media (as she was doing with her family's statements) or released her own statement. She also could have corrected the record when cooperating with Finding Freedom. The fact that she didn't do any of that speaks volumes in my opinion.

That said, I am sure Harry and Meghan have legitimate complaints, although I haven't heard any. No one is perfect and I doubt the other members of the family are without fault. None of that justifies publicly embarrassing your family.

Very true and it should be acknowledged that in 2018 when the crying story was first released, the Sussexes were still using KP as their residence and office. They could have issued a denial/rebuttal through KP Communications but like with "Finding Freedom" they chose not to do so. They could have said something during the South Africa interview, but again opted to not say anything about it. It seems that it was only worth addressing to Oprah Winfrey.
Old 04-24-2021, 05:42 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post

This is exactly where I am. I think they probably do have legitimate complaints about things but I haven't heard any in all this.

So much of the interview can be proved factually wrong or just doesn't make sense so it just throws doubt on all the complaints and accusations for me.

That said I'm sure William and Charles and others have egos, can be difficult to work with, may have been jealous, may have been unwilling to compromise or whatever. But that's not the parts Harry and Meghan are focusing on. Even his complaints about Charles sound incredibly entitled from a 36 year old who willingly walked away from the family business.

It would also have looked a lot better if the Sussexes had admitted mistakes of their own. If nothing else that maybe Meghan had jumped in too soon, been a bit too eager to suggest changes, especially since she supposedly knew absolutely nothing about the UK or the Monarchy when she got married. But no. She was raring to "give up everything" but unfortunately didn't even google anything for over a year of knowing Harry. Or Harry admitting it was his fault that he didn't ask his family for help, not theirs or the staffers. Or that some of the media uproar wasn't helped by their own releases as in Archie's confused birth announcements.

Still laughing over "Meghan's Reality TV Journey" in the BRF Show.
Old 04-24-2021, 05:45 PM
Aristocracy

[Never mind - someone already addressed this.]

On another note, I don't think there's any good resolution at this point. Harry and Meghan can't afford their desired lifestyle (including their mortgage) unless they can stay in the headlines - and maybe not even then. They can't stay in the headlines unless they continue gossiping about or otherwise publicly entangling themselves with the royals. But if they (or just Harry) wants to have any relationship with his family, they need to stop doing that. The family might eventually forgive the Oprah thing if it were a one-off, but it can't be a one-off, or Harry's going to have to downsize.
Old 04-24-2021, 05:52 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
Very true and it should be acknowledged that in 2018 when the crying story was first released, the Sussexes were still using KP as their residence and office. They could have issued a denial/rebuttal through KP Communications but like with "Finding Freedom" they chose not to do so. They could have said something during the South Africa interview, but again opted to not say anything about it. It seems that it was only worth addressing to Oprah Winfrey.

The racism comment is obviously more serious, but itís the same idea: it was only worth talking about on Oprah. They never addressed whatever was said to the individual. Apparently it was only worth talking about to a worldwide audience when they could blanket the whole family with it.
Old 04-24-2021, 05:58 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin9 View Post
The racism comment is obviously more serious, but itís the same idea: it was only worth talking about on Oprah. They never addressed whatever was said to the individual. Apparently it was only worth talking about to a worldwide audience when they could blanket the whole family with it.
Let's face it. Meghan's going to Oprah to air her complaints about her "journey" with her "truths" worked as well as Meghan going to HR to get them to set her up somewhere far, far away for mental health treatment.

Talk about taking the wrong fork in the road for things.... sheeesh!
Old 04-24-2021, 05:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelot23ca View Post
I think Scobie is forgetting thereís another, very viable alternative, which is that nothing gets resolved. Charles and William continue to believe The Sussexes canít be trusted and have guarded and superficial interactions with Harry and none at all with Meghan from here on. The Sussexes are told that further discussion regarding their list of grievances is unlikely to be helpful. The BRF carries on as it sees fit and Harry and Meghan can do the same.

Some people seem to be living in this fantasy world where Harry and Meghan are Lionel Messi and the BRF is Barcelona, where they can do or say anything and the team will come crawling, begging to keep them on any terms. Whereas whatís actually happened is that Harry and Meghan said they were leaving, the BRF said ďok, byeĒ and then stood their ground, including when the couple went for broke on Oprah. The rift is sad on a personal level but the RF didnít lose anything irreplaceable when The Sussexes left and it hasnít been irreparably damaged by any of their claims, no matter how many times itís stated as fact by those with their own personal or political agendas.
I mean, a father and son have lost a son and brother, so that is huge. That said, despite breathless claims by Robert Lacey and Anna Pasternak, the BRF as a working family have moved on without skipping a beat, like you said.

Iíll be honest, Iím glad that Charles and William didnít just cave to Harry in order to heal ...As much as Iím sure Charles wants the family to reconcile, it canít be at the expense of their own feelings via conceding Harry was correct in his accusations. I think seeing each other at the funeral was a good chance for them to be open and honest, to clear up any miscommunication and misunderstandings. But the two ďsidesĒ are far apart, and I expect it will remain that way for awhile.
Old 04-24-2021, 06:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Harry certainly expressed his own grievances in that interview--he seemed to indicate he had unresolved issues (not just security) with his father. I would not say it is all about her. Also, I do think that they are worried also about security for their son and the daughter born during the Summer.
However I don't know why Prince Harry believes that his father has any say or control over the security that the BRF members receive. Those decisions are rightfully made by two neutral parties: The Home Office and the Metropolitan Police. The BRF are certainly too emotionally involved to make those decisions on who receive full or part time security.

The Sussexes could have chosen to remain in the UK where their full time security would have been provided for the the adults and electronic security was already in place for their home.
Old 04-24-2021, 06:07 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin9 View Post
I know you didnít ask me, but as an American, I can help a little.

Oprah is not a serious journalist. Never has been. She is a highly successful self made talk show host. Who I had a lot more respect for prior to her going off about ďyour truthĒ and this interview which was full of lies and misleading statements. (I really liked it when Meghan made it sound like she was practically a prisoner. She sure got around a lot in a short period for a trapped person....)

Had this interview been done by an actual journalist, this would have been very different because theyíre held to higher standards. I believe CBS (?) said as much in the aftermath when their lies started trickling out.
Also as an American, I think this is a very accurate assessment of Oprah. Iíve certainly lost a great deal of respect for her.
Old 04-24-2021, 06:10 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fem View Post
Please check out soapstar's post here: https://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...ml#post2394175
Apparently it was confirmed that the details were released by the Sussexes' Global Press Secretary. Whoever that is.

In other news, barely a week after Prince Philip's funeral, we have Scobie doing his thing:
https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal...mily-update-vn
Most interesting quotes include:
I don't know how this is supposed to help. And how anything is supposed to be addressed if Harry's talks with William and Charles did not go well.

Of course people who behave as Meghan appears to be behaving would insist that their "journey" be acknowledged.
Old 04-24-2021, 06:19 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
Do you get Coronation Street in America? Britain's most famous soap opera, been going since 1960. A character recently solemnly told two other characters that they each needed to "tell your truth", and a fourth character overheard and burst out laughing. That's what Harry and Meghan are here now - a laughing stock. And it's a shame, because they had the chance to do a lot of good.
I'm quite late to the discussion. On the aftermath of the Oprah's interview, some Sussex critics described it as The Jeremy Kyle Show, because of the family drama live on aired. The Jeremy Kyle Show is described as a British tabloid talk show, which is worse in reputation (or even "lower brow") than Coronation St. Some people also suggested that Harry & Meghan should be taking the lie detector (polygraphic) test, given the amount of inaccuracy, invalidity or even lies that were stated in the interview.

I agree with previous posters that Oprah is not a serious journalist, but more a celebrity talk show host. Andrew Neil and Jeremy Paxman would probably not let Harry & Meghan get away with such accusations, given that these two journalists would have done extensive research and challenge the Sussexes on every counts.
Old 04-24-2021, 06:22 PM
Gentry

As for how the story as played out in the U.S.- it was definitely 'water cooler' talk the week after. I expected most people to side with the Sussexes, but actually, I was surprised that though many people believed Meghan was a victim of racism by family members, a lot were critical of Harry's "they cut me off!" part of the conversation. But many people I work with are Harry's age, so of course, they found it hilarious to complain that you were left adrift with million-dollar trust funds.

Meghan was, at least among the people who talked to me, also criticized for her story saying that Kate made her cry. A lot of people saw that as her trying to slander Kate. More than I thought would. I do think that was a miscalculation.

No one cared about the private wedding falsity, one way or the other. No one really cared about security either- we are used to celebrities paying for their own private security. No one understood the HRH title issue. A lot of people think Prince Charles is the person who asked about Archie's future skin color, though a few think it was Camilla. (Again, this is just what people were saying to me. This isn't what I think or feel.)

Overall, I think most Americans will always be interested in Harry. I thought the interview would catapult Meghan more into the limelight, but I'm not sure it did.
Old 04-24-2021, 06:34 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
What would be the point?
The other posterís theory requires us to make the leap that some low level person at the florist got in touch with one of Meghanís known mouthpieces and he ran with it without checking if Meghan wanted the information out there...
Old 04-24-2021, 06:46 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post
The other posterís theory requires us to make the leap that some low level person at the florist got in touch with one of Meghanís known mouthpieces and he ran with it without checking if Meghan wanted the information out there...
Yes i know but I dbout if anyone would get paid much for a story like that, and it would run the risk of losing one's job...\The only person who had an interest in putting the story out was MEghan
Old 04-24-2021, 06:56 PM
Nobility

To me it seemed that the thing that truly bothered Harry was his father not returning calls.