The Duke & Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 4: April-June 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I always thought Amazon put up used copies for sale. I did not know they threw them out. Book dealers also are on Amazon with used copies. I think donating the books to charity is also a good idea.

Without wanting to wander off-topic, Amazon throws out a massive percentage of returned items of all kinds, not just books. It's cheaper and easier to put stuff in the bin than it is to process it for reintegration back into their system.

Really? Wow. That just seems so ridiculous to me. Why would anyone actually care that much about how well a book does.

Many book buyers buy books based upon the Best Seller list. The problem that divertive book like Finding Freedom is that it was fake demand. People see it on the Best seller list and genuinely want to read it and then well are confused. It is not the only book this happens to - many ghost writing autobiographies of politicians and sportsmen employ creating fake demand. Amazon themselves are now even doing it with regularly goods. They are posting free goods to people in the UK and US when they haven't ordered anything so that the items looks like it is selling - when it is not and will probably be returned. (There is a new documentary on YouTube about this)

I am afraid that if Amazon kept all the old copies that they had returned they would need more warehouses. They do sell old copies of books that sell well and not overly returned, textbooks and rare books or with limited print.

I would love it if they donated books. That been said have you been to a second hand book store lately. Asked the owner about their Dan Brown and Fifty Shades collection. My local recently build a Instagram wall with her Da Vinci Codes alone and donated the rest of her pulp fiction collection to the local school for bonfire night. Yep - we burned all the Fifty Shades of Grey and a lot of the Sparkly Vampires as well. There is just too many of them to keep around, no one wants them. She told me she cant even ship them to the 3rd world - they don't want them unless they are going to use them as fuel or toilet paper.

There are local charities that pick up items for donation and I donate books on a regular basis.

I don't know why anyone is surprised they wished Archie well wishes on his birthday. He is still their great-grandson, grandson, and nephew. They wish many members of the family the same. Why should he be different? Isn't that one of the main issues at play anyways?

As for the book. I am already seeing petty Hold Still vs Bench arguments on social media. I wish people would just grow up. Buy whatever book you want. Both will be successful regardless of how you feel about either woman.

Agreed. This is what they do. It is unfortunate that the pictures are old, but it is what it is.

Oh goodness. Agreed. Both books are going to do well. They just are. They are aimed at different audiences. And are being published for different purposes.

Generally boosk about royals wont have that many sources.. because people in the royal staff or circle, dont wnat to be quoted/are not supposed to talk to the press.

True. Modern royals, that does seem to often be the case. Which is a reason why I tend to read few of them.

True. Modern royals, that does seem to often be the case. Which is a reason why I tend to read few of them.

Well of course they are. Royal staff are not supposed to talk to the press. Royal intimates are chosen because they are discreet.... of course they will only rarely be named as sources.

The success to me is also if it is actually a classic. It was billed as an extraordinary debut, an instant classic...very, very gushing. Like a lot of things with the Sussexes, it sounded over the top. (Though I fully get the why of it.)

If it becomes the next Anne of Green Gables or The Secret Garden- (which takes time) then I’ll agree with the glowing assessment of this book in children’s literature.

But really- people are buying on name recognition.
I will read it if it gets reviews similar to Anne of Green Gables or even The Very Hungry Caterpillar which children absolutely adore! It is so clever and hilarious at the same time.:lol:

Harry and Meghan are urging people on their Archewell site to help support vaccine equity on Archie’s birthday with a donation of $5.

https://archewell.com/story/join-us-in-advocating-for-vaccine-equity-on-archies-birthday/

Thanks for the link, I usually do not look at their hp.
May I ask if this is a common thing in the US? To demand moeny on behalf of a two year old's birthday?
I've only seen this instead of flowers for a funeral or fundraising for sick people.
They use their son to make money, bad taste IMO and this is not because it's the Sussex couple, I simply feel uncomfortable, but maybe this is celeb style in the US? :eek:

I’ve already made my thoughts known about the book, so I’ll just add that I don’t care if it becomes a bestseller...if it does, I don’t think it makes any statement at all about how “popular” H and M are as some seem to think it does.

The Duke & Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 4: April 2021 -

Well of course they are. Royal staff are not supposed to talk to the press. Royal intimates are chosen because they are discreet.... of course they will only rarely be named as sources.

I understand the why of it. It makes sense. I just opt to read few of them.

May I ask if this is a common thing in the US? To demand moeny on behalf of a two year old's birthday?
I've only seen this instead of flowers for a funeral or fundraising for sick people.
They use their son to make money, bad taste IMO and this is not because it's the Sussex couple, I simply feel uncomfortable, but maybe this is celeb style in the US? :eek:

Harry and Meghan aren’t ‘demanding’ anything. They are explaining their support for a very worthy cause and ASKING if people would care to donate to equable vaccines for poorer countries in the world. They mention Archie in thanking everyone for their good wishes on his birthday, but there are no demands for money on his behalf.

We've also seen royal couples ask that people donate to charities in lieu of wedding gifts. I think it's a wonderful way to celebrate an occasion where people would be apt to send gifts or cards to the royals themselves. ?

I'm confused about this mass returning of books. How can so many people buy them and just automatically return them in their plastic covers? Is there an automatic right of return policy on books? Surely you can't just decide you don't want it and return it and get a refund. I would have thought you would have to have a valid reason such as a physical defect in the product not just the fact you have changed your mind.

US Weekly normally has decent articles with decent sources, but my god, they are scraping the bottom of the barrel with this one.

Who the heck calls The Queen “Elizabeth” ? Also, this doesn’t make any sense. Charles has EVERY right to be furious/hurt with Harry - who sought to damage him in the public eye. Charles being angry with his son has NO effect on the monarchy. Not only that, he hasn’t spoken a word publicly about Harry, so the idea he’s doing tit-for-tat is ridiculous. If he’s doing it in private, I don’t blame him - HE was the one most hurt.

“With the way things are going, Charles may never forgive Harry, which hasn’t gone down well with Elizabeth,” the insider tells Us. “She feels that he’s putting his pride before the best interest of the monarchy. She has enough on her plate dealing with the loss of her husband. It’s drama she can do without.”

The source adds that Charles, 72, is “more stubborn” than son William, 38, who was spotted chatting with Harry, 36, last month after Prince Philip’s funeral service in the U.K.

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s Families React to Bombshell Interview

“They’re definitely not at the point where they speak on a regular basis, but William wants to be the bigger person and set a precedent. He believes that in order to repair damage and destruction from Harry’s interview, the best approach is to keep things civil with his brother rather than fanning the flames and fighting back with a tit-for-tat attitude,” the source says. “Elizabeth is proud of William for taking the dignified approach, unlike Charles, who still hasn’t forgiven Harry for dragging his name through the mud.”

It's an American publication and it doesn't surprise me one bit that they didn't have the courtesy and respect to refer to HM as The Queen. Once again, too, we get "insider" information which is about as credible as a three dollar bill here in the States. :D

if they go back to the individual sellers, i suppose they can do what they like with them.. but possibly they do pulp returns. If the books dont sell that well, a library probably isn't going to want them al that much. They have space problems nowadays.

That's true, but libraries often organize book sales for fund-raisers.
So they might be willing to accept some copies.

Personally, I think book sales should be non-refundable, unless they are somehow damaged.
There are cheapskates who buy a book, read it, and then return it, which I think is inexcusable.

It's an American publication and it doesn't surprise me one bit that they didn't have the courtesy and respect to refer to HM as The Queen. Once again, too, we get "insider" information which is about as credible as a three dollar bill here in the States. :D

It’s not the publication, which has a lot of Royal info and does a good job, IMO - it’s the source.

If this is true, so much for not making it about themselves! ?

https://mol.im/a/9549421

I mean really? The reach folk are making is actually comical if it wasn't so pathetic. It is a kid's book. It features a few father/son relationships. But the tabloids are screaming about coded messages in a book no one has read.

Anyways...

Harry and Meghan have updated their Archewell website with a sweet picture of Archie and birthday balloons.

This is the original article... I think Phil Dampier makes a good point

Phil Dampier, author of Royally Suited: Harry and Meghan In Their Own Words, told Fabulous that Meghan is using the book to highlight how sad Harry is to lose his military titles.

He explained: “The illustration of a red-haired soldier (obviously you know who) hugging his little boy, looks as though he has come home from war after many years and pulls at the heart-strings.

“Mum is in tears as she looks through the window, and sees her husband returning from battle to pick up family life once more.

It’s a scenario familiar to so many military couples separated by conflicts.

“But of course it wasn't a reality for Harry, who was in a different relationship when he served in Afghanistan.

“Rather Meghan is probably showing how much the Army meant to Harry and how upset he is to lose his military titles.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/1...ok-show-upset-harry-stripped-military-titles/

I mean really? The reach folk are making is actually comical if it wasn't so pathetic. It is a kid's book. It features a few father/son relationships. But the tabloids are screaming about coded messages in a book no one has read.

Anyways...

Harry and Meghan have updated their Archewell website with a sweet picture of Archie and birthday balloons.

https://archewell.com/story/join-us-in-advocating-for-vaccine-equity-on-archies-birthday/

i like it, but somehow would have liked it more if it had been full color :flowers: the brown hue makes it a bit vague (which is probably the point, i get that, but still..)

also if you donate, your donation will be quadrupled by various funds
"Your donation will be matched by Mastercard Impact Fund, Seadream Family Foundation, and a public charity, up to $1,000,000 each. All donations will benefit Gavi, the Vaccine Alliance which buys COVID-19 vaccines for the world, prioritizing those who need them the most in countries that cannot afford them."

Last edited:
Thanks for the full article, I couldn't post it here.

He makes a very good point. That sketch is quite obvious to anyone who can see.

You’re welcome! Phil isn’t necessarily criticizing H and M either, though of course H lost his military titles for a reason, which I doubt Archie will get the full, objective explanation of when he’s older.

What a terrible waste of resources to spend that amount of money to drive sales. Sadly I expect that this might happen again with The Bench.

It seems that with the 'generous return policy' they end up spending very little money to still support their favorite celebrity to get to the top of the lists (which probably makes them happy?).

It's not the first time I'm hearing about manipulating those rankings by the author/organization/fans; there are even companies that you can hire to do that for you (as that will generate more sales etc).

I’ve already made my thoughts known about the book, so I’ll just add that I don’t care if it becomes a bestseller...if it does, I don’t think it makes any statement at all about how “popular” H and M are as some seem to think it does.
There is no reason why a first time author would get such pre-sales if not for their name. So, at least the initial success of the book can be fully attributed to their fame (and fans).

This doesn't sound like a children's book at all... More like a present for Father's day.

Looking out at My Love
and our beautiful boy
And here in the window
I'll have tears of great joy

This is your bench
Where life begins
For you and our son
our baby, our kin.

Last edited by a moderator:
And I wouldn't believe a word that any "source" which refers to the Queen as "Elizabeth" says.

Regarding birthday fundraisers, they seem to be becoming a "thing" now. Facebook (and maybe Instagram too, but I don't use that so don't know) encourage people to set up birthday fundraisers, and quite a few people do. They're all for very good causes, but I wouldn't dream of asking people to donate money to mark my birthday.

Last edited by a moderator:
The book may be about Meghan using her "voice". Nothing wrong with that. I may have missed this--are the proceeds of the book going to charity? That would be a good thing if so.

I've written lots of poems that could be turned into children's books, but I somehow doubt that a publisher would give my work the time of day. Perhaps Meghan is an exceptional writer.

I do think it isn't an accident that the story is apparently about fathers and sons.

This sentence doesn't sound like a children's book at all... More like a present for Father's day.

I think that's my current opinion of the book from what I've seen so far and Meghan's usual somewhat treacly writing. It's probably going to be a book that the parents want on their shelves more than the kids want to read.

Of course that doesn't make it a bad book at all.

You’re welcome! Phil isn’t necessarily criticizing H and M either, though of course H lost his military titles for a reason, which I doubt Archie will get the full, objective explanation of when he’s older.

I think a lot of people may be under the impression that Harry has "lost" all his military titles which really isn't the case. Harry retains and always will have his rank in the military that he had when he left active duty.

The "titles" he's lost are those that are specifically honorary ones that are given to working royals for the "Firm". Harry was stripped of his three honorary military titles (Captain General of the Royal Marines, Honorary Air Commandant of RAF Honington and Commodore-in-Chief, Small Ships and Diving, Royal Naval Command)

https://observer.com/2021/02/prince-harry-royal-exit-military-titles-review-queen-elizabeth/

People do buy on name recognition. As I've said before, this is why ex-footballers, TV presenters, former politicians etc etc get their books published, whilst people who've been trying for years, and produce work which is probably of far higher quality, struggle to get publishers for theirs. It's not fair, but it's the way it goes - publishers are running businesses, and are going to choose something that sells.

Do Amazon really pulp books that are returned? If so, that's ridiculous. Why don't they donate them to public libraries? It'd be good publicity for them.

There was actually a documentary on this on television awhile ago. Not only do Amazon destroy books but they destroy most of what is returned. Pretty sure they could donate useable items to a homeless shelter or library or daycare or . . . . . . . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom