The Duke & Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 4: April-June 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yet, Harry and Meghan were on the same page during the interview. I found the most severe comments from Harry himself: he mentioned his father never returned his calls and he was the one who spoke to the unnamed mystery person who talked about how Archie would look. I still don't get why SHE is the one getting the flak. Harry grew up in that family and is born in. As far as Deal Breakers, two wrongs don't make a right. And time will tell how this turns out. It's not over till it's over.

Yet, Harry and Meghan were on the same page during the interview. I found the most severe comments from Harry himself: he mentioned his father never returned his calls and he was the one who spoke to the unnamed mystery person who talked about how Archie would look. I still don't get why SHE is the one getting the flak. Harry grew up in that family and is born in. As far as Deal Breakers, two wrongs don't make a right. And time will tell how this turns out. It's not over till it's over.

No. The most severe comment was about why Archie was not given a title, and what she put it down to. Harry was not even there when that comment was made. Rightfully, she gets the flak for it. N at the same time, I don't really see who is giving Harry a free pass. If anything, people were slagging him off for moaning about daddy not giving him pocket money. Meghan was also there, I wonder why she doesn't get any flak for that? Wait, that's because she didn't make that comment.

Well I saw it differently, the one that struck me was Harry's talking about his father and also the unnamed person. I am hoping for the best down the road. I am just saying generally that I notice Meghan is blamed for what she said and Harry has been spared and she is a "bad influence" and so on ad so forth., I notice this trend and I am not limiting it to what I see on this particular board. In any case, I hope for the best for the future and things improve with the family.

Well I saw it differently, the one that struck me was Harry's talking about his father and also the unnamed person. I am hoping for the best down the road. I am just saying generally that I notice Meghan is blamed for what she said and Harry has been spared and she is a "bad influence" and so on ad so forth., I notice this trend and I am not limiting it to what I see on this particular board. In any case, I hope for the best for the future and things improve with the family.

I think both racial issues were first mentioned publicly, in the interview, by Meghan.

You are right , two wrongs do not make a right, I just find it interesting that some posters appear supportive of Meghans respone to her father's actions, which are not so unlike what Meghan and Harry then did to his family.

What could she have done? Her father did not take her calls or Harry's then started complaining about his child to the media. I cut her some slack on this one. He also went to the media to slam her and got money from the media and admitted it. He could have spoken on the phone or Skyped with them and cleared the air. He even said the entire royal family "owed him" and they did not try to "make up with him." HM ignored him.

Last edited:
The same applies to H & M as well. Make it private. In case of Thomas Markle, he gave interviews. The RF didn't do anything as such, and yet these two decided to slag them off in public. That's way more worse.

I think both racial issues were first mentioned publicly, in the interview, by Meghan.
Erin9, that is how I remember it too. Then when Harry joined, I think he looked surprised that Meghan had brought it up so maybe they had not discussed doing this - which would surprise me but still.

I think that so much of what BOTH of them said in the interview was unbelievably inappropriate. I for one do not blame only Meghan for this; both Meghan and Harry were complicit IMHO.

What could she have done? Her father did not take her calls or Harry's then started complaining about his child to the media. I cut her some slack on this one. He also went to the media to slam her and got money from the media and admitted it. He could have spoken on the phone or Skyped with them and cleared the air. He even said the entire royal family "owed him" and they did not try to "make up with him." HM ignored him.

I am not challenging her actions, I just find it interesting that the couple conducted an interview that has questionable " details" in which they said very unpleasant things about the royal family. I would like other posters views on the difference between the behaviour of Thomas Markle and Harry and Meghan.

I wonder if Charles and the rest of the family see the Oprah interview as a major deal breaker.
Going on tv and bad mouthing your family whom you know will not be able to respond.
Do you think that might be their tipping point.

Charles himself criticized his parents...and truly come to regret it. As Giles Brandreth said recently, he believes Charles was in a bad, a dark, place - and when he emerged, he came to see that he was wrong about his assumptions. I’m not sure what would hurt/anger him the most about the interview, but I think it’s a combination of things. Yes, H took these things public is a huge deal, but the fact that he thinks his family is racist and made those accusations public is crossing the line. I’m guessing Charles already knew H was angry and resentful about things before the interview, but making it public damages him in the public eye, and that must be incredibly hurtful. Charles has to deal with constant barbs from tv/movies/etc..about Diana; it got so bad w/the Crown that he and Camilla has to prevent people from responding on Twitter to their posts. Now his own SON is taking aim ? I can’t imagine how hurt he must be.

Erin9, that is how I remember it too. Then when Harry joined, I think he looked surprised that Meghan had brought it up so maybe they had not discussed doing this - which would surprise me but still.

I think that so much of what BOTH of them said in the interview was unbelievably inappropriate. I for one do not blame only Meghan for this; both Meghan and Harry were complicit IMHO.

I think everything was decided well in advance.

It's not the first time they focus on something that they are clearly really bad at themselves. For example, Harry is championed for Mental Health after explaining to the world he has no clue how to deal with it. So, Meghan writing about father-son relationships after severing ties with both her own father and her husband's fits right in with them championing their own weaknesses.

a typical dunning-kruger-effect ? MAYBE.

I wonder if Meghan has more family she talks to we do not know.
It seems sad to raise the children with only one grandma around
and Harry's family probably fed up with the couple. Imagine if Doria got ill or passed they would be totally isolated from any family?
Maybe Meghan has cousins or something, we do not know?
Hope so, if not the children will miss a lot.
I do not suggest the RF would cut the children off in a mean way, but how build a deep relationship with long distance PLUS if the adults are estrained and the pandemic has caused its bit aswell to relations, especially as small children do not understand videocalls etc.

I am not challenging her actions, I just find it interesting that the couple conducted an interview that has questionable " details" in which they said very unpleasant things about the royal family. I would like other posters views on the difference between the behaviour of Thomas Markle and Harry and Meghan.

All 3 behaved horribly. I mostly tuned out news regarding Thomas Markle a long time ago because his behavior just blew my mind. Repeatedly.

I find it astonishing that Harry and Meghan had the examples of both his parents and her father....and went and did this anyway.

It would surprise me too if Harry was unaware, no matter how surprised he seemed. Perhaps. Meghan sure was taking a risk IMO if Harry was unaware of the race comments going public in advance. That’s an incredibly nasty thing to level at his entire family.

Yes- they both behaved horribly. It’s incredible to me how they just hit everybody and everything they could. Charles and Diana’s interviews were no where near this destructive across the board IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
What it boils down to for me, whether it be Tom Markle, Charles or Diana or Harry and Meghan, *anyone* that has a gripe against someone and uses the public domain to air it intentionally knowing that it will strike and hurt the people they're slamming, is a reflection on their own character and indicates that its *them* that is a bad place mentally and emotionally. Reminds me of grade school bullies on the playground. Not mature behavior at all. It rarely, if ever, results in a good outcome for anyone.

What it boils down to for me, whether it be Tom Markle, Charles or Diana or Harry and Meghan, *anyone* that has a gripe against someone and uses the public domain to air it intentionally knowing that it will strike and hurt the people they're slamming, is a reflection on their own character and indicates that its *them* that is a bad place mentally and emotionally. Reminds me of grade school bullies on the playground. Not mature behavior at all. It rarely, if ever, results in a good outcome for anyone.

Agreed. That is exactly how I feel about it.

a typical dunning-kruger-effect ? MAYBE.

I wonder if Meghan has more family she talks to we do not know.
It seems sad to raise the children with only one grandma around
and Harry's family probably fed up with the couple. Imagine if Doria got ill or passed they would be totally isolated from any family?
Maybe Meghan has cousins or something, we do not know?
Hope so, if not the children will miss a lot.
I do not suggest the RF would cut the children off in a mean way, but how build a deep relationship with long distance PLUS if the adults are estrained and the pandemic has caused its bit aswell to relations, especially as small children do not understand videocalls etc.

Diana the paternal grandmother passed on. William does talk about Diana to his children. I imagine Harry does the same. Meghan's maternal grandparents passed on and I read in the Morton book she was close to them. It is a society now where families can live far from others. And because of various factors, don't live in the same town where they grew up and near their parents. Many move to other cities or even countries in this day and age.

Agreed. That is exactly how I feel about it.

Yet Harry said “I’ll always love my father...”. That’s not how you treat someone you love, even if you’re angry with them (for ridiculous reasons as I see it). I do believe he wanted to hurt his father...he knew exactly what he was saying and the reaction he’d get.

Archie and his sister are not going to have any relationship with anyone except their parents and maternal grandmother. What a shame...I think of Charles, who still wishes he’d gotten to know his own grandfather (George VI). I hope it won’t come to that for these kids...

Last edited:
Never say never as I see it. Archie is a tot and his sister will be born soon. What happened between Charles and Harry is known only to them. Charles and Philip did not always see eye to eye to say the least but they moved on from that. I think Archie and his sister will see Harry's cousins, Eugenie for instance.

All 3 behaved horribly. I mostly tuned out news regarding Thomas Markle a long time ago because his behavior just blew my mind. Repeatedly.

I find it astonishing that Harry and Meghan had the examples of both his parents and her father....and went and did this anyway.
I wrote a long post that I somehow lost - my bad. Diana, Charles, and Tom Markle after the fact regretted their interviews and things made public that should have been kept private. I think that healthy adults with appropriate boundaries know better than to reveal private communications and family matters to the media. Talking with friends, ok. Talk with therapist, ok. Talk with a mediator if you can’t resolve issues with family member, yes. Go on TV to show your bitterness and vengefulness to the whole world? Emphatically, no.

These things don’t “go away.” I’ve read some things recently about “tampongate “ that happened about 30 years ago. And can you imagine being William or Harry and watching the Panorama interview where their mom trashes their dad and Charles’ interview where he confesses to an affair? You know they’ve seen them- anyone can watch them on YouTube.

So one day Archie and his little sister will watch their parents talking to Oprah. Even if every single word of what they said was true (and I don’t believe that it is), for people so concerned about mental health they surely weren’t thinking of their own children when they decided to “tell all”. And that goes for all of them: Diana, Charles, Tom Markle, Harry and Meghan. :nonono:

That's a pretty good sign that the book will be a success. It's all good. ?

The book.

Do any of you remember the books you liked as a young child? I liked Amelia Bedelia and Dr. Seuss's "The 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins". I can't remember the text. I remember every illustration though. The pictures were clearly done by skilled adults.

This book of Meghan's is among a bunch of recent children's books that have visuals done in a naif, childlike manner.

A child likes good art as much as adults do. Why employ babyish looking drawings and paintings when putting together a book for children?

edit - Amelia B. And B. Cubbins ... shoes and hats. It makes sense that I would eventually post on a forum concerning royalty!

Last edited:
The book.

Do any of you remember the books you liked as a young child? I liked Amelia Bedelia and Dr. Seuss's "The 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins". I can't remember the text. I remember every illustration though. The pictures were clearly done by skilled adults.

This book of Meghan's is among a bunch of recent children's books that have visuals done in a naif, childlike manner.

A child likes good art as much as adults do. Why employ babyish looking drawings and paintings when putting together a book for children?

edit - Amelia B. And B. Cubbins ... shoes and hats. It makes sense that I would eventually post on a forum concerning royalty!

I really can't compare children's books today with myself as child as I was a kid in the 1950s and started actually reading words in books at 4 years old. I can't remember really paying attention to the pictures in a book but it was the story itself that made an impact. I do, however remember the artwork done in my all time favorite story of my childhood. Disney's "Cinderella". For the 50s, the artwork was superb. I still love Disney today. ?

I really can't compare children's books today with myself as child as I was a kid in the 1950s and started actually reading words in books at 4 years old. I can't remember really paying attention to the pictures in a book but it was the story itself that made an impact. I do, however remember the artwork done in my all time favorite story of my childhood. Disney's "Cinderella". For the 50s, the artwork was superb. I still love Disney today. ?

I was looking at books only a decade later ... if F-Troop or Romper Room wasn't on! I was a picture person. I went to an art-oriented HS and University as well.

Never say never as I see it. Archie is a tot and his sister will be born soon. What happened between Charles and Harry is known only to them. Charles and Philip did not always see eye to eye to say the least but they moved on from that. I think Archie and his sister will see Harry's cousins, Eugenie for instance.

Why? Where? Cannot see this at all.

Diana the paternal grandmother passed on. William does talk about Diana to his children. I imagine Harry does the same. Meghan's maternal grandparents passed on and I read in the Morton book she was close to them. It is a society now where families can live far from others. And because of various factors, don't live in the same town where they grew up and near their parents. Many move to other cities or even countries in this day and age.

Sure, but that's not the point at all. Nobody expects everybody to rest in the village one was born :eek:

I wrote IF they are and keep estrained plus pandemic plus videocalls do not the same for a relationship as meeting somebody especially for toddlers.

And you, too, have not further knowledge about Meghan's folks we may not know, what was my question.
So, sorry i don't see the point in your post except blind defense.

Yet Harry said “I’ll always love my father...”. That’s not how you treat someone you love, even if you’re angry with them (for ridiculous reasons as I see it). I do believe he wanted to hurt his father...he knew exactly what he was saying and the reaction he’d get.

Archie and his sister are not going to have any relationship with anyone except their parents and maternal grandmother. What a shame...I think of Charles, who still wishes he’d gotten to know his own grandfather (George VI). I hope it won’t come to that for these kids...

Personally I hope all parties will be able to patch up the situation. Even Meghan and her family. Heard the same about Edward saying that he was grateful that his children are able to spend time with their grandfathers, as his were nothing more then pictures to him.

I really hope that they are able to resolve this - especially for the children. I was recently reminded that parents who breaks their own paternal bonds unusually see their children break theirs.

Why? Where? Cannot see this at all.

Today is Archie's second birthday. Both the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and both The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall congratulated the little boy on twitter in public. They could have congratulated him in private. For me this is a message that Archie will always be their grandchild and nephew and that they want to have contact with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom