The Duke & Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 4: April-June 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
To be honest it was a plain statement on why the website has gone dark. It isn't a personal opinion but a formal notice, so I fail to understand the overt and poorly disguised sniping.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is 8.15 am Saturday as I post this, and our news shows the media are camped outside Prince Harry's home in Montecito hoping to catch Harry leaving for the UK.

Awful...don’t these people have loved ones that they’d be devastated to lose?

Awful...don’t these people have loved ones that they’d be devastated to lose?

Is anyone surprised? There are loads in Windsor too. Charles was filmed leaving Highgrove on the way to Windsor.

Meghan and Harry are wide open to these things and given they may be photographed privately I guess they will be if they can.

A piece from Royal Central about Harry being able to attend the funeral in spite of having to remain in isolation for several days.

https://royalcentral.co.uk/uk/phili...lips-funeral-on-compassionate-grounds-158161/

I wouldn’t be surprised to hear that Harry has already left his home in Montecito. The whole family IMO knew that Prince Philip was in bad health for several weeks before his death and arrangements for Harry’s travel and attendance have probably been made already.

I would think that if it was clear for weeks that Philip's death was imminent, Harry would have visited sooner rather than waiting for the funeral.

I hope he’s able to attend and chooses to do so… and I hope he brings Archie. Even those who aren’t happy to see Harry will be delighted to see Archie, and I think it would mean a lot to them that Harry brought him. The family has plenty of enormous homes at its disposal that could accommodate either Harry or the Brooksbanks for a week or two. It’s probably just as well if Meghan doesn’t come, for a lot of reasons.

It’s so sad that it came to this, and so unnecessary. I’m sure he feels terrible for not visiting before this.

TBH I don't see Prince Harry traveling to the UK with Archie. A long distance flight with COVID restrictions in place with an under two year old and then the adjustment to a new time zone and environment isn't going to be easy. This is a stressful time for all involved and honestly the little guy would be better off at home IMHO.

IMHO a visit later in 2021 after the baby's been born might be a better option for all involved. Then Archie could have the opportunity to see his extended family and enjoy the experience.

I would think that if it was clear for weeks that Philip's death was imminent, Harry would have visited sooner rather than waiting for the funeral.

Due to covid, other than Prince Charles, there is no indication or report that Prince Philip's other children or grandchildren visited him.

There are spikes in COVID in the US. I am not sure it is all that safe to travel now. I don't think it safe for Archie to travel with his parents. I also think that the other small children in the family would not meet in "gatherings" due to COVID.

Due to covid, other than Prince Charles, there is no indication or report that Prince Philip's other children or grandchildren visited him.

Well in fairness two other children as well as three grandchildren live on the same estate as him they could have seen him in person outside. The weather was nice a few weeks back or gone in with masks but this is essentially private and I would not have expected it to come out today. It usually comes out later. The last thing they would have wanted was a national death bed watch.

The discussion concerning the statements released by the Sussexes and various members of the BRF, is going around in circles. Let’s please move on.

A piece from Royal Central about Harry being able to attend the funeral in spite of having to remain in isolation for several days.

https://royalcentral.co.uk/uk/phili...lips-funeral-on-compassionate-grounds-158161/

I wouldn’t be surprised to hear that Harry has already left his home in Montecito. The whole family IMO knew that Prince Philip was in bad health for several weeks before his death and arrangements for Harry’s travel and attendance have probably been made already.

This. I could imagine he's been in quarantine for at least the last few days. It's not like the family didn't know the late DoE wasn't seriously ill

This. I could imagine he's been in quarantine for at least the last few days. It's not like the family didn't know the late DoE wasn't seriously ill

He could certainly have already travelled to the UK. I dont believe Harry and Meghan leave their home much so you know it wouldn't be that much of a change if he was staying at home. We all are.

But he will be in touch with people between leaving his house and landing in the UK. So, while quarantining would reduce his risk of infection, I don't think it would fulfil the requirements of quarantine as it is kind of impossible to quarantine/not interact in any way with at least a few people in the States before flying off, i.e., while traveling (even on a private jet (which would either need to be a rather large one or it will need a stop-over on the East Coast as the distance LA-London requires a large jet to be able to carry sufficient fuel)- if he chooses to do so).

But he will be in touch with people between leaving his house and landing in the UK. So, while quarantining would reduce his risk of infection, I don't think it would fulfil the requirements of quarantine as it is kind of impossible to quarantine/not interact in any way with at least a few people in the States before flying off, i.e., while traveling (even on a private jet (which would either need to be a rather large one or it will need a stop-over on the East Coast as the distance LA-London requires a large jet to be able to carry sufficient fuel)- if he chooses to do so).

He would by law need to quarantine in the UK. Then take a PCR test and this can take 48 hours come back. Then he can leave quarantine if this is negative. You can quarantine at the house of others I think. It is all a bit confusing.

I guess he could have been in the UK this whole time, for all we know. I hope so. I certainly don't approve of the media camping out at their front gate, but if there's no sign of him leaving in the next day or two, he's probably either already there or he isn't going. Though if he's allowed to leave the five-day quarantine for a funeral, then I guess he could in theory still fly in that morning or the day before. Would he have to stay for at least the five days before turning around and going back to California?

I guess he could have been in the UK this whole time, for all we know. I hope so. I certainly don't approve of the media camping out at their front gate, but if there's no sign of him leaving in the next day or two, he's probably either already there or he isn't going. Though if he's allowed to leave the five-day quarantine for a funeral, then I guess he could in theory still fly in that morning or the day before. Would he have to stay for at least the five days before turning around and going back to California?

I hadn't heard of that but given the ages of the older members of the family that would be an incredibly isolating experience as I suspect he would have to sit alone in the church and only there as he would have to go straight after as technically he is still quarantining.

I would imagine that the announcement will come tomorrow that the funeral arrangements have been revised in light of the pandemic and it will happen at the same church Beatrice got married. They may not even film in there, but I wouldn't be surprised if they do and that a later Thanksgiving service will he held St Georges sometime after lifting of restrictions in June where more family and representatives and things can go.

Last edited:
Harry should do whatever the Queen wants him to do. If she wants him there, he should go. If she doesn't want to deal with him, he should not go.

Well given the funeral arrangements are not final yet I don't think Harry would have been able to do anything.

We will see.

I was shocked, saddened and speechless to hear the news this morning. I can’t imagine how the man’s actual grandson feels.

In regards to the funeral, I am sure H&M will do what HM, and they themselves, feel is the most appropriate thing to do. I don’t think we should judge their actions relating to this. Everyone grieves in different ways, in addition to a global pandemic and a heavily pregnant duchess.

Is anyone surprised? There are loads in Windsor too. Charles was filmed leaving Highgrove on the way to Windsor.

Meghan and Harry are wide open to these things and given they may be photographed privately I guess they will be if they can.

That’s true...I didn’t look at those photos as I felt it was unseemly to intrude on his grief.

He would by law need to quarantine in the UK. Then take a PCR test and this can take 48 hours come back. Then he can leave quarantine if this is negative. You can quarantine at the house of others I think. It is all a bit confusing.

Exactly. That was my point. The days of quarantine start when he touches down in the UK, not days in advance because he says he already started quarantining. See also my previous post with the likely schedule (assuming it will take less than 24 hours in his case; because, well, he is a prince and they won't make him wait 48 hours especially in these circumstances) in which he could make it to the funeral if he preferable lands Saturday morning or at the latest on Sunday morning (depending on the date of the funeral; but I guess they will be willing to postpone until Saturday if needed).

I hadn't heard of that but given the ages of the older members of the family that would be an incredibly isolating experience as I suspect he would have to sit alone in the church and only there as he would have to go straight after as technically he is still quarantining.

I would imagine that the announcement will come tomorrow that the funeral arrangements have been revised in light of the pandemic and it will happen at the same church Beatrice got married. They may not even film in there, but I wouldn't be surprised if they do and that a later Thanksgiving service will he held St Georges sometime after lifting of restrictions in June where more family and representatives and things can go.

Wasn't there already some announcement that the body of the prince will remain in Windsor Castle and that the funeral will take place in St George's Chapel? Or was that unofficial?

And I don't see a reason at all to move to a different church. They are perfectly capable of closing of Windsor Castle for an event like this one.

Wasn't there already some announcement that the body of the prince will remain in Windsor Castle and that the funeral will take place in St George's Chapel? Or was that unofficial?

And I don't see a reason at all to move to a different church. They are perfectly capable of closing of Windsor Castle for an event like this one.

That was the orginal plan. It was removed pronto.

Well for 30 people it is a little big. I mean it wouldn't be my preference for a small ceremony.

That was the orginal plan. It was removed pronto.

Well for 30 people it is a little big. I mean it wouldn't be my preference for a small ceremony.

Others were complaining that the Quire would be too small. I think it would work; but we'll see what will truly happen. It will be the queen's decision - most likely in close consultation with Charles and several others.

Every household has to sit 2 metres apart, so he will need to sit on his own anyway unfortunately (unless he bubbles up with someone as a support person).

Well in fairness two other children as well as three grandchildren live on the same estate as him they could have seen him in person outside. The weather was nice a few weeks back or gone in with masks but this is essentially private and I would not have expected it to come out today. It usually comes out later. The last thing they would have wanted was a national death bed watch.

Well Phillip had had the vaccine. I don't know if other members of his family had had the vaccine (obviously not the really young ones but in my state you can now get it if you're over 16). I just think he died too quickly for anyone to see him besides Elizabeth. How long had he been out of the hospital?

He could certainly have already travelled to the UK. I dont believe Harry and Meghan leave their home much so you know it wouldn't be that much of a change if he was staying at home. We all are.

Well I'm going to say this wrong. But forget who Harry is and his controversial interview. I'd be annoyed if I were British if he were given special travel privileges to go to this funeral if I were still in lockdown and weren't allowed to see my loved ones. If other Brits aren't allowed to travel now he shouldn't be allowed to either. No special diplomatic passports.

If other Brits aren't allowed to travel now he shouldn't be allowed to either. No special diplomatic passports.

I've seen diplomatic passports or other credentials mentioned in several places, and I don't understand it. I would have thought he'd lost his eligibility for that when he first decided to stop being a working royal. If not, then surely he'd have lost it at the not-quite-one-year point when they officially made that decision permanent... right? Do the other non-working family members have that credential? I wouldn't think so, since they're not doing diplomatic duties.

Well Phillip had had the vaccine. I don't know if other members of his family had had the vaccine (obviously not the really young ones but in my state you can now get it if you're over 16). I just think he died too quickly for anyone to see him besides Elizabeth. How long had he been out of the hospital?

Well I'm going to say this wrong. But forget who Harry is and his controversial interview. I'd be annoyed if I were British if he were given special travel privileges to go to this funeral if I were still in lockdown and weren't allowed to see my loved ones. If other Brits aren't allowed to travel now he shouldn't be allowed to either. No special diplomatic passports.

I agree , I would feel the same, but the travel is not the issue it is the quarantine. People are travelling.

The plans will be in place, they just haven't announced them yet.

Harry would have known of his grandfathers death before the announcement
to the public he might have already been on his way before the statement came out.

In travelling home for the funeral and making it in time (provided it will be in a week's time) by using the Test to Release scheme, what "special travel privileges" would he be given? :ermm: All British citizens are allowed to enter the UK (this is not a "travel", he wouldn't be vacationing). If you're implying that in entering the country alone, he would be given special treatment, you're making a fuss over nothing because that is his right as a British citizen.

Every household has to sit 2 metres apart, so he will need to sit on his own anyway unfortunately (unless he bubbles up with someone as a support person).

I think that will be incredibly sad to see him alone. I am not sure which of his family he could support bubble with. Obvious one is his father. Obviously the Queen also is now unbubblled but given her age now by law she can bubble with one of her children.

I mean the rules do allow bubbling and upon Harry's return he would be able to bubble,with anyone not bubbled with someone else. But I don't know who that could be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom