The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2021, 08:34 AM
Heir Presumptive

I’m sorry, I refuse to blame Charles for Harry’s conduct. He did the best he could as a parent....Harry is an adult; his actions are his own. If he’s ungrateful for the support his father did offer him, if he demanded or expected more, that’s on him. Period. He hurt his father terribly by publicly trashing him - I’m getting angry about it as I type this. I do hope they’re able to reconcile, but if they do, I think it will be along the lines of “forgive, but never forget”.

Old 04-21-2021, 08:56 AM
Aristocracy

What really shocked me was when the Sussex Royal site first debuted. You don’t throw up something as well crafted as that overnight. So IMHO the plans to leave/do things their way was planned way in advance.
Also I don’t think that Meghan and/or Harry really understood how security works. If I understand correctly (please correct me if I’m wrong), the UK taxpayers pay for this security. It is given to senior working members of the royal family and is, of course, based in the UK. In the interview and on their website, they seem to indicate that they will be provided security because of “who they are.” I am struck again and again by Harry’s obliviousness to the way things work in the RF. This is on Harry, not Meghan. Of course she would have assumed (obviously incorrectly) that her husband as a lifelong member of the RF would be very clear about how things work.
Meghan bemoaned that she didn’t have “princess lessons.” It looks like one of the “grey suits” should have given Harry some “prince lessons.”

Old 04-21-2021, 08:59 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I remember when H got married people were saying how Charles was being nice to Meghan and how H looked fine with his relationship with his father.. so I was a bit taken aback by the hostility that Harry seemed to show, when he was interviewed. I think that he's not happy with any of the RF but there seems to be a particular animus against his father... so is stored up anger to do with things in the past.. or simply that Charles DID over indulge him and now having been told "No" last year and told that he can't expect the same support as a "moved away" royal as he did when he was part of the Firm, that he just got really furious with the family adn esp his father and is lashing out at his dad.

He may be particularly angry at Charles-but I also think- from a PR POV- it’s easier for him to lash out by name at Charles, rather than say William. And certainly not HM. Charles is less popular.

I don’t think it’s coincidental that the majority of their criticisms have been lodged at the family, the business, the staff in vague terms. It not only accomplished the purpose of throwing EVERYONE under the bus, but it avoided the consequences of individually calling out the more popular members of the family too much.
Old 04-21-2021, 08:59 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalist.in.NC View Post
What really shocked me was when the Sussex Royal site first debuted. You don’t throw up something as well crafted as that overnight. So IMHO the plans to leave/do things their way was planned way in advance.
Quite right. There had been press reports and Twitter speculation in January 2020 that the website had been registered in Spring 2019.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalist.in.NC View Post
[B][/B
Also I don’t think that Meghan and/or Harry really understood how security works. If I understand correctly (please correct me if I’m wrong), the UK taxpayers pay for this security. It is given to senior working members of the royal family and is, of course, based in the UK. In the interview and on their website, they seem to indicate that they will be provided security because of “who they are.” I am struck again and again by Harry’s obliviousness to the way things work in the RF. This is on Harry, not Meghan. Of course she would have assumed (obviously incorrectly) that her husband as a lifelong member of the RF would be very clear about how things work.
Meghan bemoaned that she didn’t have “princess lessons.” It looks like one of the “grey suits” should have given Harry some “prince lessons.”
See my post 1144 further upthread.
Old 04-21-2021, 09:00 AM
Royal Highness

I don’t blame completely Charles for his kids actions and choices now. Harry is an insanely privileged almost middle aged man after all. But it’s a fact if you don’t or can’t instill parental/family respect and delayed gratification and discipline when they are very young and looking to you for guidance you are setting up trouble for them and yourself when are grown. They don’t have tools in place to live happily and successfully in the real world.
Old 04-21-2021, 09:03 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaryllus View Post
Lashing out at being told no is something a teen or maybe a young 20 year old would do. That 36 year old would do this is bizarre.

It’s particularly bizarre after having had an entire year to think things though, come to terms with what happened and the consequences- you and your wife land on: let’s bash the family and family business in a world wide interview and take responsibility for absolutely nothing.

Well- okay then....that’s mature.
Old 04-21-2021, 09:15 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
I’m sorry, I refuse to blame Charles for Harry’s conduct. He did the best he could as a parent....Harry is an adult; his actions are his own.

Agreed. Furthermore- we have no idea just what kind of values Charles (and Diana) tried to instill in Harry. He could have tried, and Harry just didn’t listen.
Old 04-21-2021, 10:01 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnystar View Post
BS. They could have absolutely found a home with space between homes for privacy, etc, in a good location that is optimum for financial deals and business for less than what they paid. They paid for the Montecito zip code. They could have easily found something similar for less in Orange County, San Diego or Palm Springs and would have been just as close to LA as they are in Montecito.

You are absolutely correct Sunnystar. Choosing to live in exclusive and extremely pricey Montecito among other celebrities was in my opinon most definitely a choice and not a need. They could have also opted for nearby Ventura County which has the beauty, proximity to the beach, plus a semi-rural feel for the necessary space and privacy.

The money they would have saved could have been budgeted for security costs or other expenses.
Old 04-21-2021, 10:13 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Scot View Post
I don't get the outrage because I don't believe that is what they said. Meghan and Harry talked about their security being suddenly pulled while they were still in Canada. They weren't talking about California. They were talking about when they were still living in Canada. Harry said he asked if the threat level for him had changed and he was told "No". I think he did expect his security to be paid for because he was born into the Royal Family. (In my opinion, comparisons with Beatrice and Eugenie don't make sense because they clearly do not have the threat level that Meghan and Harry have.) Harry went on to say that they then negotiated their lucrative contracts to pay for their expenses, including security.
I agree Harry expected his security to be paid for because he was born into the royal family. The question is how reasonable that expectation was and the basis for the expectation. When they stepped back, they claimed that they were eligible for taxpayer provided security (no matter where they decided to live) because they are "internationally protected persons." I have been practicing international law for years and to my knowledge, being an internationally protected person does not entitle anyone to taxpayer funded (or father funded) security.

The reason this is being discussed is because Harry criticized his father and the British protection services for not providing free security. It's nice that he has negotiated lucrative contracts to pay his own bills but I question the maturity and judgment of someone who wanted others to pay for his security so he could live in a mansion that has 16 bathrooms without having to negotiate lucrative contracts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia View Post
I'm curious of the grounds on which you base this categorical denial that they've used leaks prior to the interview? It's not like the British press wasn't riddled with stories courtesy of "royal sources" and "courtiers" before the interview.
I am sorry, I don't understand this question. Can you explain why you feel my post was a categorical denial that they've used leaks prior to the interview?
Old 04-21-2021, 10:18 AM
Heir Apparent

Model Chrissy Teigen has stated that the Duchess of Sussex reached out to her by letter following the loss of her infant son in September.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...-son-Jack.html

Quote:
Chrissy Teigen has said that Meghan Markle reached out to her after learning the model had tragically lost her baby son Jack halfway through her pregnancy.
Chrissy, 35, and her husband John Legend, 42, who are parents to Luna, five, and Miles, two, lost their son Jack in September last year - he was stillborn.
Pregnant Meghan, who is currently expecting her second child - a girl - with Prince Harry, tragically suffered her own miscarriage over the summer in 2020.
Chrissy praised the Duchess of Sussex for being 'wonderful and so kind' by reaching out to her with a touching letter during the difficult time.
Old 04-21-2021, 10:31 AM
Gentry

Harry is now home in California:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...an-Archie.html

I am crossing my fingers there is not an 'update' from Gayle King in the next few days. I personally find her involvement in this whole affair to be rather irksome.
Old 04-21-2021, 10:38 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I remember when H got married people were saying how Charles was being nice to Meghan and how H looked fine with his relationship with his father.. so I was a bit taken aback by the hostility that Harry seemed to show, when he was interviewed. I think that he's not happy with any of the RF but there seems to be a particular animus against his father... so is stored up anger to do with things in the past.. or simply that Charles DID over indulge him and now having been told "No" last year and told that he can't expect the same support as a "moved away" royal as he did when he was part of the Firm, that he just got really furious with the family adn esp his father and is lashing out at his dad.
I don't think it was stored up anger but a genuine deterioration of what was once a good relationship. At the onset, the family was very welcoming and kind to Meghan. Recall, Prince Harry was saying that "the RF was the family Meghan never had". The Prince of Wales generously funded the Sussexes livestyle- paid for her closet full of Givenchy clothes and paid for hair and makeup artist to be with her on the royal tour of Australia and New Zealand. So it appears things were good for a while.
According to Prince Harry, it was after the tour that feelings, attitudes, and perception towards the couple started to change. This deterioration led to pushing the issue on other people, being told to put their plans in writing, to the PofW stop taking Harry's calls all together.
Old 04-21-2021, 11:06 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
I don't think it was stored up anger but a genuine deterioration of what was once a good relationship. At the onset, the family was very welcoming and kind to Meghan. Recall, Prince Harry was saying that "the RF was the family Meghan never had". The Prince of Wales generously funded the Sussexes livestyle- paid for her closet full of Givenchy clothes and paid for hair and makeup artist to be with her on the royal tour of Australia and New Zealand. So it appears things were good for a while.
According to Prince Harry, it was after the tour that feelings, attitudes, and perception towards the couple started to change. This deterioration led to pushing the issue on other people, being told to put their plans in writing, to the PofW stop taking Harry's calls all together.
The Press certainly started to take a negative view towards H&M after the Aus tour. I suspect H&Ms own behaviour and demeanour changed when the press commentary changed, and the rest is history.
Old 04-21-2021, 11:14 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaryllus View Post
I don’t blame completely Charles for his kids actions and choices now. Harry is an insanely privileged almost middle aged man after all. But it’s a fact if you don’t or can’t instill parental/family respect and delayed gratification and discipline when they are very young and looking to you for guidance you are setting up trouble for them and yourself when are grown. They don’t have tools in place to live happily and successfully in the real world.
Sometimes, parents have to make an unpopular decisions. I remember, with my own son, his school started at 8am, and I did not have to be at work unit 11am, so it was up to him to take a shower and make breakfast for himself, cereal and milk, and if he did not, he would go to school hungry, he learned pretty quickly to make his own breakfast because mummy was still sleeping. Now his is a completely self-sufficient young man of 29, who can make his own dinner.
Old 04-21-2021, 11:16 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Quite right. There had been press reports and Twitter speculation in January 2020 that the website had been registered in Spring 2019.

See my post 1144 further upthread.
Thanks so much! I wrote this before reading yours. I appreciate your giving the factual information
Old 04-21-2021, 11:40 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
The Press certainly started to take a negative view towards H&M after the Aus tour. I suspect H&Ms own behaviour and demeanour changed when the press commentary changed, and the rest is history.
The increasingly negative attitude towards H&M started well before the tour down under. I recall several discussions where posters right here on this forum commented on how the couple could change the tide of the press if the tour was successful.
Old 04-21-2021, 11:44 AM
Heir Apparent

Glad that Harry has made it home safe. I saw Russell Meyers hinting that Meghan is due in early June. I wonder if that was overhead over the weekend. So no doubt that will be the focus for Harry from this point out.
Old 04-21-2021, 11:45 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sionevar View Post
Harry is now home in California:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...an-Archie.html

I am crossing my fingers there is not an 'update' from Gayle King in the next few days. I personally find her involvement in this whole affair to be rather irksome.
Well it's not Gayle King on CBS Morning Show it but is what the Sussexes want us to know via Scobie:

IE:
Quote:
A tabloid report claiming that Harry wrote a “deeply personal” letter for his father before the funeral is also false, the source adds. Prince Charles has been staying at his Llwynywermod estate residence in Wales (over 185-miles away from Windsor) since Sunday.

BAZAAR understands that Harry met the queen, who turns 95 today, privately on at least two occasions during his time in the country. “The love and respect he has for his grandmother will always be unwavering,” a source previously said.
https://www.harpersbazaar.com/celebr...hilip-funeral/

Of course other reports say Charles and William talked on Saturday before Charles went on Sunday. But it follows the Interview pattern, push the "We love the Queen and she loves us" and "Charles is the bad guy" narrative.
Old 04-21-2021, 11:49 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin9 View Post
He may be particularly angry at Charles-but I also think- from a PR POV- it’s easier for him to lash out by name at Charles, rather than say William. And certainly not HM. Charles is less popular.

I don’t think it’s coincidental that the majority of their criticisms have been lodged at the family, the business, the staff in vague terms. It not only accomplished the purpose of throwing EVERYONE under the bus, but it avoided the consequences of individually calling out the more popular members of the family too much.
Great points. I think he’s angry at different ways with his father and brother, though I do think there’s more sheer anger with William and more pain/resentment with Charles. I mentioned this before, but I think he was using the interview to get his point across to Charles as he resented having to communicate by letter for even a short time. Charles did that with his father for awhile when they were particularly at odds - I think it’s a good idea, and I suspect C thought that would be a good idea with H as well. H apparently took that as “my father no longer wants to have speak to me” and he aired his grievances. In the process, he damaged the trust between them and he gave people more reasons to hate his father; that can never be undone.

I know H loves both his father and brother, but saying that in the interview didn’t mitigate anyone; his comments were not loving, especially about Charles.
Old 04-21-2021, 11:56 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
Well it's not Gayle King on CBS Morning Show it but is what the Sussexes want us to know via Scobie:

IE:

https://www.harpersbazaar.com/celebr...hilip-funeral/

Of course other reports say Charles and William talked on Saturday before Charles went on Sunday. But it follows the Interview pattern, push the "We love the Queen and she loves us" and "Charles is the bad guy" narrative.
But he refused to meet his father because he was on a schedule. This says it all to me - H doesn’t prioritize trying to heal his relationship with his father. He managed to find time twice to see his grandmother, but couldn’t be bothered to see his father.

Daily Express says that Charles is planning a visit to the States to see Biden. Robert Jobson is quoted as saying that it’s likely he won’t visit H in CA as the trip would be for work. There’s more to it, but that’s the gist. I agree with Jobson that C will get blowback for ignoring his son, but like he said, it’s a work trip - on British tax payers’ dime. At this point, I’m fine with it. I don’t want Charles to have to beg for H’s love.

Closed Thread