The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2021, 08:21 AM
Serene Highness

Going back to the meeting between Charles, William and Harry, The Times has written an article on this. I'm not quite sure if The Times or The Telegraph got hold of the story first. I have not read The Telegraph article, because I do not have a subscription (I understand some of the posts have been moved to The Future of the British Monarchy thread). The Times article is relatively short and focus on Harry & Meghan not The Royal Family as a whole.

Prince Harry talks with father and brother
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/n...arry-wlq8dwr25

Archived link to the full article: https://archive.ph/ZHu9k#selection-717.0-717.42

Old 04-19-2021, 09:05 AM
Heir Presumptive

The Sun has some more details regarding Charles, William and Harry chatting for 2 hours. It would be wonderful if Harry would stay for HM’s birthday...

Quote:
A source said: “It is not known what was said behind closed doors and when the cameras were turned off, but it's unfathomable to think Megxit and Oprah did not come up.

“Harry and William appeared cordial as the cameras rolled and that seemed to pave the way for Charles to join them when everyone had left.”

Harry and William arrived at the Quadrangle together away from the TV cameras as the rest of the family chatted on the lawn.

Charles and Camilla, who had led the family on the walk back, strolled across the grass to speak to the princes.

The Duchess of Cornwall left by car without Charles at 5pm. But according to sources, the Prince of Wales and his sons stayed at the castle for an hour after Camilla departed.

Royal biographer Penny Junor said: “This was minutes after the funeral and they were all grieving in their own ways.

“There might have been some greetings. And even that is a positive start.

“There is a lot to be unravelled here. This is a falling-out that has gone on for a long time. They need the time, space and the trust.

“Harry should stay for the Queen’s birthday as it is the least he can do for his grandmother and it gives him even more opportunity to talk to his father and his brother.”

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/146893...ealed-funeral/

Old 04-19-2021, 09:08 AM
Majesty

Doubt if he'll stay. and I doubt if they discussed Oprah. its bound ot be contentious and Im srue they dont want arguments to mar their short time togehter...when they should still be focussing on Philp and the queen
Old 04-19-2021, 09:08 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC21091968 View Post
Going back to the meeting between Charles, William and Harry, The Times has written an article on this. I'm not quite sure if The Times or The Telegraph got hold of the story first. I have not read The Telegraph article, because I do not have a subscription (I understand some of the posts have been moved to The Future of the British Monarchy thread). The Times article is relatively short and focus on Harry & Meghan not The Royal Family as a whole.

Prince Harry talks with father and brother
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/n...arry-wlq8dwr25

Archived link to the full article: https://archive.ph/ZHu9k#selection-717.0-717.42
The Sun has more details, which I posted below. I don’t think the Telegraph has had anything about this.
Old 04-19-2021, 09:14 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Doubt if he'll stay. and I doubt if they discussed Oprah. its bound ot be contentious and Im srue they dont want arguments to mar their short time togehter...when they should still be focussing on Philp and the queen
No, this talk was very likely focused on their relationships, all three of them in varying combinations...as it should be. They can’t start healing until they talk - and an honest talk- so this is exactly what they needed as a start. Considering Harry said some things in the interview, I certainly believe ghat came up in conversation...and it needn’t have been contentious. IMO, there’s just a lot of miscommunication going on, and the only way to correct that is to....communicate.

I’m not going to argue about this with you, though. I’m very glad father and sons had a long talk...baby steps.
Old 04-19-2021, 09:38 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallo girl View Post
Meghan wasted her time letting it out then if nobody is interested.

I find it quite interesting that a number of posters are disappointed in Meghans action with regards announcing the wreath, imagine the different attitude if the information had came out a few days after the funeral with for example an article about various wreaths but noting the thoughtfulness in the choice of flowers in the Sussex wreath. I am sure we would have viewed it differently.
We would have been saying what a lovely thought, which is probably what Meghan thought she was going to hear.Timing is everything
It would be a completely different ball game if today or even tomorrow we would get an article with a closer look at the wreaths in the chapel (all/most of them). But this is not it.

While BP spokeperson decided not to comment on the other wreaths, stating that it is a private matter, the Sussexes (and while we might suspect which one of them, we can't be sure) decided to make it public just as the funeral was beginning. While the whole action was simply astonishing - and not in a positive way - the timing just made everything worse.
Old 04-19-2021, 09:47 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
So inspite of whatever issues the Sussexes have with courtiers or even family members- they never stopped being a family and they never stopped caring.
I think for many people it's not an issue of if the Sussexes care. It's an issue of why the Duchess NEEDS to make everything public. Fans of hers are now saying "wreath-gate" isn't a big deal. But I'm not hearing of a sympathetic answer as to WHY they feel the Duchess HAD to make a press release about their wreath right at the start of Philip's funeral. What was her motivation? Did it help endear her to the family to release that to the public?
Old 04-19-2021, 09:50 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tihkon2 View Post
I think for many people it's not an issue of if the Sussexes care. It's an issue of why the Duchess NEEDS to make everything public. Fans of hers are now saying "wreath-gate" isn't a big deal. But I'm not hearing of a sympathetic answer as to WHY they feel the Duchess HAD to make a press release about their wreath right at the start of Philip's funeral. What was her motivation? Did it help endear her to the family to release that to the public?
Possibly, and this is just my guess, Meghan needs drama. She knew that the RF woudnt approve of her doing that, but she has to insert herself into things, and then gets upset if she gets criticised for it.It seems to me that she constantly stirs up drama, but instead of being hard edged about other people's reactions, seh gets upset and complains then that people are not being nice to her...
Old 04-19-2021, 10:14 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
And did Harry rush about trying to speaking to them? I would say that in these times of Covid few of the RF went around trying to speak to other members outside their own household bubbles. I didn’t see any mass getting together of any of the extended family before, during or after the funeral.

Was Anne for example seen speaking to Camilla, Andrew or his daughters or either of the Wessexes to other family members? I think that all of them (especially the older ones and Anne IS seventy) for the most part stayed apart in their own family bubbles, due to regulations.
That is true with respect to the public part of the ceremony but I believe it is not only possible but probable, that as the family lined up for the procession off camera, Anne and Edward acknowledged other members of the family but not Harry.

The family didn't just get out of their cars and take their places in absolute silence and without even looking at each other. In other words, I don't think that William and Harry only spoke in person for the first time after the service. I would be very surprised if Harry, William and Charles had not taken a few minutes to chat before the procession.

I doubt if they discussed the interview per se, even though it was the elephant in the room. The discussion probably included plans for Harry's travel for Diana's memorial. They may have also talked about the possibility of bringing the baby and Archie to visit the Queen when Meghan is able to travel, including whether the baby would be christened in the UK. They also probably discussed Prince Philip, the Queen, William's family - general family stuff.
Old 04-19-2021, 10:34 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post
T
The family didn't just get out of their cars and take their places in absolute silence and without even looking at each other. In other words, I don't think that William and Harry only spoke in person for the first time after the service. I would be very surprised if Harry, William and Charles had not taken a few minutes to chat before the procession.

I doubt if they discussed the interview per se, even though it was the elephant in the room. The discussion probably included plans for Harry's travel for Diana's memorial. They may have also talked about the possibility of bringing the baby and Archie to visit the Queen when Meghan is able to travel, including whether the baby would be christened in the UK. They also probably discussed Prince Philip, the Queen, William's family - general family stuff.
The RF is used ot putting up a front in public.. and in avoiding controversial topics in private, if necessary. Im sure they didn't want to get into the interview because feelings are WAY too raw.. and it will IMO be a long time before they can forgive and forget.. they probalby talked about the funeral, about Harry's trip, how big Archie's getting.. There are always things one can discuss that wont upset people...
Old 04-19-2021, 11:19 AM
Heir Presumptive

Regarding the controversial wreath...

Was there an actual press release from the Sussex family, or did the release come from the florist involved? I’d like to know how this gesture was revealed if anyone can direct me to a link. Thanks.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-19-2021, 11:20 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
That is true with respect to the public part of the ceremony but I believe it is not only possible but probable, that as the family lined up for the procession off camera, Anne and Edward acknowledged other members of the family but not Harry.

Exactly. That was my line thinking too. All we saw was them in place for the procession, ready to proceed. But- I imagine there was some acknowledgment of each other when they arrived. Or- if reports are true about Edward and Anne- they simply didn’t acknowledge Harry. And that is believable to me. I doubt the fallout of this mess is confined to Harry’s relationships with William and Harry. A lot of those reasons have already been stated, but also worth noting IMO, Anne and Edward are working members of the royal family.
Old 04-19-2021, 11:32 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
Was there an actual press release from the Sussex family, or did the release come from the florist involved? I’d like to know how this gesture was revealed if anyone can direct me to a link. Thanks.
There was no release, per se. It looks like a source close to Meghan and Harry spoke with news media about the wreath around the time the service started. We know that the report had to come from someone close to Meghan and Harry because Omid confirmed the details.
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000517569536 (IIRC, Omid starts discussing the wreath about the 40 minute mark. I posted the exact time in an earlier post but can't find it.)
Old 04-19-2021, 11:43 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
There was no release, per se. It looks like a source close to Meghan and Harry spoke with news media about the wreath around the time the service started. We know that the report had to come from someone close to Meghan and Harry because Omid confirmed the details.
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000517569536 (IIRC, Omid starts discussing the wreath about the 40 minute mark. I posted the exact time in an earlier post but can't find it.)
So, a source close to the couple could just be the florists? That seems much more likely than Meghan (or Harry) releasing the information. And certainly the close description of the flowers (and their meanings) would more easily come from the professionals, rather than Meghan carefully describing it all to Scobie.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-19-2021, 12:03 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Nothing that was posted directly to Archewell or anything but "Sussex Sources" had given it to the Telegraph among other outlets by 2.33pm just as the procession was gathering:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-fa...l-handwritten/

Jack Royston of Newsweek then tweeted about it during the procession causing people to confuse "Meghan's wreath" with HM's tribute on the coffin. Which I'm sure was a complete coincidence.

And now Scobie has talked about it is it is clear that the Sussexes wanted that information out there during the funeral either for Meghan to "be included" in everything (ie the publicity) or maybe even as someone suggested to cause drama.

It wasn't the florists unless they were given permission to be sources. The Telegraph specifically cites "Sussex Sources". This was apparently a florist who was a personal favourite of theirs and had done their wedding and Archie's Christening without saying a word. Why would she risk loosing a famous, well paying, returning client and word getting around that she is indiscreet by suddenly announcing it against their will?

The wording that all media parroted sounds exactly like other Sussex "releases" to the media.

I have no problem with them sending a thoughtful wreath to show they care, that was a lovely gesture. I have a problem with them announcing it to the world just how thoughtful the gesture was and making it all about Meghan and not PP/HM/the family just as the funeral was getting under way, assuring she's part of the headlines on a day that has very little to do with her or them as a couple. Scobie also made sure to mention in his coverage that "Meghan and PP had a special bond and she lost a family member too!"

Also it seems that the gesture to the family and any good it might have done is completely undercut by telling the world about it -which is a big part of the current Sussex problem in general.

We didn't see the Duchess of Gloucester who was also not there send out word about the symbolic wreath she picked out complete with how she and the DoE had a very special bond because they were both Danish and she will miss him dearly etc. If it was part of a larger article on all the wreaths that would be completely different but the others were deliberately kept private.

In itself it's not a huge deal (apart from the timing) but its part of a pattern of behaviour.
Old 04-19-2021, 12:06 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
So, a source close to the couple could just be the florists? That seems much more likely than Meghan (or Harry) releasing the information. And certainly the close description of the flowers (and their meanings) would more easily come from the professionals, rather than Meghan carefully describing it all to Scobie.
Possible but not likely. The florist didn't release any details of Archie's christening flowers. And we know that not only did Omid report on it, Meghan and Harry haven't distanced themselves from it.

It would have been fine if after Harry had returned, he either directly or indirectly communicated his thoughts on his grandfather's passing and a reference to his wife's thoughtfulness. Unfortunately, releasing these details around the start of the service seems to me to be Meghan jumping up and down, waving her arms and yelling "look at me, look at me." It got attention but it almost seems counterproductive.
Old 04-19-2021, 12:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

Looks like Harry spent some time with his dad before William joined in; I’m so glad about that. I’m really not upset that it appears he’s not staying for the Queen’s birthday - it would have been nice, but I’m glad for the extra day he did spend.

Quote:
The source told MailOnline this morning: 'Harry and Charles walked and talked at Windsor after the funeral. My understanding is that Harry goes back today. They talked with Harry as a family.'

It is not clear what was discussed at the meeting, but the source said they began the 'long task' of looking at condolence letters send from around the world.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9487565/Prince-Charles-walked-talked-Prince-Harry-family-summit-following-funeral.html
Old 04-19-2021, 03:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

The letter writing thing reminds me of how Charles and Philip had communicated for awhile only by letter. In a way, I think it’s a good thing; writing allows you to take your time to say what you want to say without emotions getting in the way.

Quote:
The Duke of Sussex reached out to Prince Charles after their relationship “hit rock bottom”, as he prepared to see his family for the first time since quitting royal life last year.

But the Prince of Wales remains “very hurt” by Harry’s decision to appear in a tell-all interview last month with US chat show queen Oprah Winfrey, while the Duke of Edinburgh was seriously ill in hospital.

Sources close to the Duke of Sussex - who now lives in California with wife Meghan and their one-year-old boy, Archie - told how he has been “forced to write letters” to his father due to a "complete communication breakdown".

In his correspondence he has "outlined his reasons for leaving" while promising to "respect the institution", sources have revealed.

Charles has since travelled to his Welsh home in Llwynywermod where he is working from home and continuing to observe the royal mourning period which ends on Thursday.

The source said: “Harry didn’t expect everything to be completely back to normal but his feeling after seeing his family was there is a lot of ground to make up.

“Whether that is harder or easier to do on the other side of the world remains to be seen.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-new...paign=sharebar
Old 04-19-2021, 03:35 PM
Serene Highness

Saying something by letter can be a very good thing - I agree. No-one's going to interrupt and start yelling and shouting, and you can read the letter through and rewrite it if you feel you haven't said the right thing.
Old 04-19-2021, 03:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
Saying something by letter can be a very good thing - I agree. No-one's going to interrupt and start yelling and shouting, and you can read the letter through and rewrite it if you feel you haven't said the right thing.
Exactly. In these articles, it’s looked at as a bad thing, but I see it as the parties acknowledging that it’s better to communicate by letter than to perhaps fight in person. It’s a temporary thing, a way to cool down.

I feel optimistic. It will probably take awhile for things to really get better but in the meantime, they’ve made a start...

Closed Thread