The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-18-2021, 09:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sionevar View Post
The latest update from the Daily Mail is that Harry has booked an open ticket back to LA, so may stay in the UK for a few days more, in order to be there for his grandmother's birthday.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...hday-week.html

And yes, I know the DM is not a bastion of journalistic integrity, so take all of this with a pinch of salt :)
I read that earlier, also. I think heís expected to leave tomorrow, but it would be wonderful if he stayed. It would mean so much to HM, his father, everyone

Old 04-18-2021, 10:08 PM
Aristocracy

So it is Scobie official! I could not get past the awful grammar in the article: ďher and Harryís 11M mansion; pregnant with her and Harryís second child.Ē I know it is the DM but who writes these articles?

Old 04-18-2021, 10:20 PM
Commoner

On second thought, I am deleting.
Old 04-18-2021, 10:22 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin9 View Post
Itís not about just how much coverage the wreath actually got IMO. (Which is plenty now from what Iíve seen; Iíve seen TV and internet stories cover this.) Itís that Meghan herself felt the need to publicize the extent of her thoughtfulness as a funeral was beginning- of all times. In general- I donít think she should have done it all, but the timing made it worse. As another poster said- itís self- serving. Itís putting attention on herself. Itís what it tells me about her and her values.

Meghan apparently felt the world needs to know just what a thoughtful person she is. And they needed to know as a funeral was beginning. So, lots of people will have at least heard. It wasnít enough to actually just be thoughtful. Or for the family to know. No- EVERYONE needs to know how much effort she put into it. And Iím sure it did take time and thought. But...why say it at all. No one else did. Only her.
Thanks, this is very well stated!
Old 04-18-2021, 10:34 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallo girl View Post
Meghan wasted her time letting it out then if nobody is interested.

I find it quite interesting that a number of posters are disappointed in Meghans action with regards announcing the wreath, imagine the different attitude if the information had came out a few days after the funeral with for example an article about various wreaths but noting the thoughtfulness in the choice of flowers in the Sussex wreath. I am sure we would have viewed it differently.
We would have been saying what a lovely thought, which is probably what Meghan thought she was going to hear.Timing is everything
I agree with you. While I agree that sending a press release in the middle of a funeral is ghastly, I would have been interested in hearing about the meaning of the flowers. But I can imagine that some were quite personal and other members of the RF didnít want to share the details.
Old 04-18-2021, 11:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalist.in.NC View Post
I agree with you. While I agree that sending a press release in the middle of a funeral is ghastly, I would have been interested in hearing about the meaning of the flowers. But I can imagine that some were quite personal and other members of the RF didn’t want to share the details.
I have a lot of sympathy for Meghan's desire to be independent and not have to lose her identity merely because she has married a member of the BRF... BUT, she is a grown woman rapidly approaching middle age and she should know that you have to pick your battles carefully. The funeral of the much loved consort of the Queen was not the place to shout from afar and draw attention to herself. I am interested in the language of flowers but unless the majority of the royals who chose the composition of the wreaths they sent (and some of them may have just said to their florist, "Send a wreath" without expressing any opinion about its contents) were prepared to participate in an article explaining their choices, I do not need to know the details of Meghan's choices. By being the only one to do this, and at such an inappropriate time, Meghan has drawn attention to herself when what she should have done is demonstrate she can be a team player when the occasion demands it.
Old 04-18-2021, 11:06 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Heather_ View Post
ďSome reports yesterday said that neither his aunt Princess Anne nor his uncle Prince Edward acknowledged Harry before or during the service.ď

We, of course, have no way of knowing if this is true but I canít say Iíd be even a little bit surprised if it is. Anne very much seems the type to be more than angry and irritated with the way he and Meghan have behaved and at their timing and lack thereof. She doesnít suffer fools easily and I doubt she really has much use force these two any longer. As for Edward, Iíve long gotten the impression that he and Sophie are close to the Cambridges and even to Charles and Camilla and we know how close they are/were to HM and the late DoE. I think there might very well be an element of loyalty happening there and they probably donít have much use for Harry and Meghan right now, either.

It wouldnít stun me if that was the case- and for some of the reasons you listed.

The press is focusing on Harryís relationship with William and Charles. Of course, those are the only ones we know are strained. Any others would be pure speculation. But I wouldnít be surprised if the damage is more widespread.
Old 04-18-2021, 11:07 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
There's a time and place for everything and Meghan got it totally wrong with the press release about the wreath. It's as Philip said "You don't look at the camera but you look at the people that are there to see you". Meghan, with the press release at an inappropriate time was courting the press which equates to looking at the camera. The focus of the day was on the Duke of Edinburgh and the reality of it all is that Meghan was very inconsequential to the whole day from beginning to end. I doubt she was even missed at the funeral. People's thoughts were elsewhere and so were the people that tuned in to watch the funeral broadcast.
Old 04-18-2021, 11:09 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
I have a lot of sympathy for Meghan's desire to be independent and not have to lose her identity merely because she has married a member of the BRF... BUT, she is a grown woman rapidly approaching middle age and she should know that you have to pick your battles carefully. The funeral of the much loved consort of the Queen was not the place to shout from afar and draw attention to herself. I am interested in the language of flowers but unless the majority of the royals who chose the composition of the wreaths they sent (and some of them may have just said to their florist, "Send a wreath" without expressing any opinion about its contents) were prepared to participate in an article explaining their choices, I do not need to know the details of Meghan's choices. By being the only one to do this, and at such an inappropriate time, Meghan has drawn attention to herself when what she should have done is demonstrate she can be a team player when the occasion demands it.
Yes, that is a good point. Probably most people grieving might say “make it pretty” as opposed to worrying about the meaning of the flowers. I’m afraid I don’t think that Meghan can be a team player; there again, a part of the problem.
Old 04-18-2021, 11:09 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
I agree with this, though being frosty and having the feud play out in front of a fragile and vulnerable Queen isnít a great idea. Thereís a middle ground between being cold and being affectionate and warm, and I think that should have been the road taken.

I donít think Edward or Anne would do anything to further upset their mother.
Old 04-18-2021, 11:13 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
I think with the situation within the family, it actually was a blessing that Philip passed while Covid restrictions were in place. Really gave a good reason for any of them to social distance from the other.
Old 04-18-2021, 11:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Right, I mean their mother has just lost the man sheís loved for 70 plus years, they lost their father, and theyíre going to take the time to bring deliberately rude? I do find it hard to believe,
Old 04-18-2021, 11:27 PM
Aristocracy

I don't find it all that hard to believe. It's well-known that Anne in particular has no patience for drama queens, and Lady C's description of how she never got along with Meghan was believable for that reason. I'm sure Anne and Edward love their brother Charles. In addition to their own grief and their own opinions about Harry's actions, it must have been difficult to for them to witness Charles's obvious devastation while knowing that instead of being able to mourn in peace, he felt obligated to try to repair some of the bridges Harry burned.
Old 04-18-2021, 11:44 PM
Courtier

I doubt either Anne or Edward would have ever made a scene or gone out of their way to be rude. However, I also donít think theyíd have gone out of their way to acknowledge him or speak to him. Iíd say itís much more likely they just simply ignored him.
Old 04-18-2021, 11:59 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Heather_ View Post
I doubt either Anne or Edward would have ever made a scene or gone out of their way to be rude. However, I also donít think theyíd have gone out of their way to acknowledge him or speak to him. Iíd say itís much more likely they just simply ignored him.

Yes- thatís what I was trying to say.

I find it very believable that they are upset with him for many reasons. But they would not have caused a scene or done anything to add stress for their mother- or anyone else for that matter.
Old 04-19-2021, 12:01 AM
Majesty

And did Harry rush about trying to speaking to them? I would say that in these times of Covid few of the RF went around trying to speak to other members outside their own household bubbles. I didn’t see any mass getting together of any of the extended family before, during or after the funeral.

Was Anne for example seen speaking to Camilla, Andrew or his daughters or either of the Wessexes to other family members? I think that all of them (especially the older ones and Anne IS seventy) for the most part stayed apart in their own family bubbles, due to regulations.
Old 04-19-2021, 01:23 AM
Administrator

This thread is ALL OVER the place...the future of the monarchy, order of precedence, Prince Phillips's Funeral and that bloody wreath!

Posts about the Future of the British Monarchy have been moved to the appropriate thread, which can be found https://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...ml#post2392515 .

Let's stay on topic.

Old 04-19-2021, 03:04 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
And did Harry rush about trying to speaking to them? I would say that in these times of Covid few of the RF went around trying to speak to other members outside their own household bubbles. I didnít see any mass getting together of any of the extended family before, during or after the funeral.

Was Anne for example seen speaking to Camilla, Andrew or his daughters or either of the Wessexes to other family members? I think that all of them (especially the older ones and Anne IS seventy) for the most part stayed apart in their own family bubbles, due to regulations.

That's fair. I also think it's possible that the media is trying to read into things that may not be there. For instance, it seems that William and Harry didn't really look at each other as they went into the Chapel, didn't do so until they ended up talking. The newspapers said, for instance, reported how William pretty much looked straight ahead..... I mean, really? Maybe he was looking straight ahead because he was devastated and was trying to get a grip on his emotions. It could have been a number of things. Considering the brothers hadn't seen each other in a year and that obviously things aren't good between them, I wouldn't have expected them to try and catch each other's eyes like kids in a classroom who are acting up. Maybe they both wanted to wait. Maybe they were lost in their own thoughts. There's an obsession with William and Harry........did anyone ask if Charles and Harry looked at each other? Because that relationship is or has been shaky, apparently. No, they didn't...and I'm glad they didn't, but the point is they DID with the brothers. Well, assuming it's true that the three met for two hours today, they didn't have the prying eyes of reporters or photographers, and I think for them that's a good thing.
Old 04-19-2021, 03:27 AM
Serene Highness

Very little was seen of anyone speaking to anyone. They weren't going to be chatting in the funeral procession or during the service, and we didn't see that much of them afterwards, just a few shots of them walking back up the hill. We don't know who spoke to whom beforehand, or once they got back to the castle.
Old 04-19-2021, 03:54 AM
Majesty

I think it is very unlikely that there were either rows OR close friendly relations restored at the funeral. They problaby chatted pleasantly, esp. if the cameras were on them.. and focused on mourning the Duke, paying their last respects to him and as far as they could comforting the queen. I'd say that Anne was at best polite to Harry..but for the queen's sake there would no rows or upsets.