The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2021, 08:09 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
As I've stated before, the only mention of the wreath I heard was before the procession on the BBC coverage. I thought "that's nice" and forgot about it. I would imagine most people did the same. I wouldn't have heard anything about what flowers were in the wreath or mention of Meghan's calligraphy unless it was posted here. It really is no big deal and was probably used by talking heads as fillers (although from what I hear, at an inappropriate time).

Just makes me realize more why I don't like talking heads.

Old 04-17-2021, 08:13 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
As I've stated before, the only mention of the wreath I heard was before the procession on the BBC coverage. I thought "that's nice" and forgot about it. I would imagine most people did the same. I wouldn't have heard anything about what flowers were in the wreath or mention of Meghan's calligraphy unless it was posted here. It really is no big deal and was probably used by talking heads as fillers (although from what I hear, at an inappropriate time).

But just because you’ve chosen not to read online articles, even those from reputable publications, doesn’t mean that is the case for most people. These details are now literally everywhere. Here, yes, but also on major news broadcasts of the funeral and the surrounding details, tabloid articles from the DM and the Express and the like, and even more reputable sources like Vogue, Harper’s Bazaar, etc. If it had been as simple as “Harry and Meghan, along with other family members, have sent wreaths to be laid in the Chapel” then I agree that a “that’s nice” would have been my reaction. But that really wasn’t what this was.

Old 04-17-2021, 08:26 PM
Majesty

I had the same reaction as Osipi though, and I would suspect most observers of the funeral on TV and those who read articles about the funeral felt the same. For me it was ‘Oh, Meghan sent a funeral wreath with some flowers that symbolised Prince Philip’s past. That’s nice.’

Whether Meghan sent a wreath is not important in the context of the day IMO, and here in Australia on Sunday morning no-one I know is talking about it though many other parts of the funeral have been. In my view these sort of details tend to be discussed on forums such as this but not by the general public at large.
Old 04-17-2021, 08:30 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
I had the same reaction as Osipi though, and I would suspect most observers of the funeral on TV and those who read articles about the funeral felt the same. For me it was ‘Oh, Meghan sent a funeral wreath with some flowers that symbolised Prince Philip’s past. That’s nice.’

Whether Meghan sent a wreath is not important in the context of the day IMO, and here in Australia on Sunday morning no-one I know is talking about it though many other parts of the funeral have been. In my view these sort of details tend to be discussed on forums such as this but not by the general public at large.
I do see what you’re saying and in the grand scheme of things the fact that she sent a wreath with specifically chosen flowers and a handwritten note isn’t of any real importance whatsoever. But the fact that all the details had to be made public, and at such an inappropriate moment, is just such a ridiculously selfish thing. Of great importance? No, not at all. But so cringey and in poor taste? Absolutely.
Old 04-17-2021, 08:42 PM
Majesty

I think the fact that Harry and William, united in grief for their grandfather both behaved in a solemn and dignified way at the funeral and were seen talking together afterwards, together with Kate, was more worthy of comment by the media and observers than a wreath.

Much less frosty in all ways than at the Commonwealth service last year. And their interaction has received quite a lot of cautiously optimistic comment from many sources.
Old 04-17-2021, 08:43 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post

I would have the exact same reaction if the Sussexes followed the rest of the royal family (BP spokesperson declined commenting on the wreaths) - just a simple, nice gesture that is done by so many.

What was in a poor taste is going (or I should say asking somebody to go) to the press, explaining the meaning of used flowers, planting name of the florist and informing how the note had been written by Meghan, who is a master of caligraphy after all. Completely unnecessary, given the day. I wonder what kind of a person thinks it's appropriate.
Old 04-17-2021, 08:45 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I think the fact that Harry and William, united in grief for their grandfather both behaved in a solemn and dignified way at the funeral and were seen talking together afterwards, together with Kate, was more worthy of comment by the media and observers than a wreath.

Much less frosty in all ways than at the Commonwealth service last year. And their interaction has received quite a lot of cautiously optimistic comment from many sources.
Agreed, in fact I commented on it myself in the funeral thread. Fingers crossed that the optimism is justified. I understand the need for Harry to get back home but I do hope he’ll consider staying a few extra days. Maybe through the Queen’s birthday this week? It might give them all a chance for some much needed conversation now that the emotion and closure of the funeral itself is done.
Old 04-17-2021, 08:47 PM
Courtier

Quote:

I think especially because of the Commonwealth Service experience last year they knew they have to look at least cordial with each other, just to avoid the same media storm. They knew the world was looking at them, so they gave them a show, as to not be a distraction from the main focus, Prince Philip and HMQ.
Old 04-17-2021, 08:51 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fem View Post
I think especially because of the Commonwealth Service experience last year they knew they have to look at least cordial with each other, just to avoid the same media storm. They knew the world was looking at them, so they gave them a show, as to not be a distraction from the main focus, Prince Philip and HMQ.
I do hope that it was genuine, at least in part. Maybe there was an element of a show about it but hopefully that was only a part of it. I will say, though, that generally even the closest of families find funerals and the days leading up to them to be monumentally exhausting and I don’t imagine the RF is any different. If indeed they were putting on a show, which is tiring in itself, then they must all be unbelievably tired this evening. So, I hope it was, at least in part, genuine and not all just for PR purposes.
Old 04-17-2021, 09:05 PM
Aristocracy

I don't know why Kate would have gotten involved if it was for show. Appearances might have been something she considered when doing it, but if it was an agreed-upon plan that they should be seen talking, I think one of them would have just walked up to the other and started talking - no need for Kate.
Old 04-17-2021, 09:11 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Heather_ View Post
I do hope that it was genuine, at least in part. Maybe there was an element of a show about it but hopefully that was only a part of it. I will say, though, that generally even the closest of families find funerals and the days leading up to them to be monumentally exhausting and I don’t imagine the RF is any different. If indeed they were putting on a show, which is tiring in itself, then they must all be unbelievably tired this evening. So, I hope it was, at least in part, genuine and not all just for PR purposes.

I hope so.

I would like to think two grown men could genuinely park their differences at the door for the funeral of a man they both loved and be cordial. And it not be just PR. They didn’t have to talk, of course, but if there’s ever a time to just set aside your problems....this would be one of them.

I never seriously thought it might be just PR until I read this thread. But- it’s possible. I would think the normal emotions of a family funeral, plus knowing you’re going to be filmed during such an emotional time would be extraordinarily exhausting all by itself. Forget trying to fake being polite for the press.
Old 04-17-2021, 09:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I do see what you’re saying and in the grand scheme of things the fact that she sent a wreath with specifically chosen flowers and a handwritten note isn’t of any real importance whatsoever. But the fact that all the details had to be made public, and at such an inappropriate moment, is just such a ridiculously selfish thing. Of great importance? No, not at all. But so cringey and in poor taste? Absolutely.
This is it! She just has to go too far and make it about her, and that's what turns a lot of people off her. Why doesn't someone tell her? If they do, why doesn't she listen?
Old 04-17-2021, 09:33 PM
Majesty

The wreath was from Meghan AND Harry. There was an explanation of what the flowers chosen for the wreath symbolised in Prince Philip’s life but Meghan didn’t disclose what the tribute was to Harry’s grandfather in her hand written note.
Old 04-17-2021, 09:39 PM
Courtier

Quote:
The wreath was from Meghan AND Harry. There was an explanation of what the flowers chosen for the wreath symbolised in Prince Philip’s life but Meghan didn’t disclose what the tribute was to Harry’s grandfather in her hand written note.
There were wreaths from many people in the chapel, yet only information about the Sussexes' one were disclosed. That's the issue, they could've gone with the BP spokesperson no comment policy, as it was a private, family matter And simply don't go to press how thoughtful they were while picking the flowers and how Meghan handwritten the note herself.
Old 04-17-2021, 10:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I suspect it was genuine because they both love their grandpa, and whatever their issues with each other, they weren’t ever going to make this day about them. There were reports beforehand saying all parties (Harry request?) had agreed to table their problems, but I’m not sure something like that was necessary. Also, no one knew they were going to walk back - it was Charles’ idea for the family to do that; therefore, how could it have been planned?

I couldn’t help wonder why the focus was ONLY on Harry’s return vis a vis William when obviously his relationship with his father was shaky as well. Granted, it’s probably less problematic because there is more hurt than anger, especially on Charles’ part. I’m not trying to make this a competition, at all. I badly hope that the brothers can start healing their relationship - for themselves, for their family. I can only imagine how heartbroken their father is for them. It just seems like the media only cares, even on this day, about a “sexy” story - Diana’s sons.
Old 04-17-2021, 10:04 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin9 View Post
Well- I think it pretty much has to be her- or a joint decision by her and Harry. I just can’t see any other way. They are the ones who know why that arrangement was chosen. No one else’s floral arrangement details have been- or will be- publicized as I understand it right now.

To me- it’s not so much the difference in celebrity and royalty...it’s that this was the funeral of a beloved family member. I don’t think it’s appropriate to draw attention to yourself and your thoughtfulness and time it so that the maximum number of people hear it. It’s not about you. It was about him and his life.

As I said- if the entire family made a decision that they wanted to talk about the symbolism behind the flowers, that is one thing. Singling yourself out is something entirely different.

And I truly hate typing this. Or thinking this.
I agree with you both. Harry and/or Meghan and their PR folks do not seem to understand that announcing thIs today took the focus off Prince Philip and put them in the spotlight yet again, however temporarily. And since Harry is now out of the loop, perhaps he didn’t know that BP had said “no” to releasing details about the wreaths.
I would have rather heard about the flowers another time because the symbolism sounds lovely. But connecting to their wedding, Archie, and the handwritten note - too much.
Old 04-17-2021, 10:34 PM
Aristocracy

He was in the loop enough to arrange transportation from the airport, arrange to stay at Frogmore, and sort out processional and seating arrangements. I can give Meghan the benefit of the doubt for not seeing the problem here, but Harry would have known innately that if no one else issued a press release about this, he shouldn't, either.

Left to his own devices, I doubt Harry would have had any idea who did the flowers for their wedding reception, or for Archie's christening. Most men don't. I don't know if he ok'd the release or not, but those details make me think he wasn't the architect of it.
Old 04-17-2021, 11:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

There’s this...among other tidbits

Much of the article details frostiness from the family towards Harry, but I do so hope this is true and does happen

Quote:
Plans for a wake at Windsor Castle are understood to have been dropped, although a source said that Prince Charles, who was clearly emotional before and during the service, intended to spend some time with his younger son, perhaps taking him for a walk.

'There has been talk that Charles will walk around Windsor with Harry to look at some of the tributes and spend some time together,' the source said.

However, Harry is understood to be anxious to return to America to be with Meghan, who is thought to be seven months pregnant with their second child.

He could fly back to Los Angeles as early as today or tomorrow.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...NE-GRAHAM.html

Video of the walk...

It wouldn’t surprise me one bit of Charles forged ahead to allow his sons to talk

https://twitter.com/katienicholl/sta...169971201?s=21
Old 04-18-2021, 04:53 AM
Majesty

well they may talk, and be polite to each other, but its only a month since the interview that showed how alienated Harry is from his family. I hope that yes they could put aside their differences in public for the sake of Philp and the queen at such an emotional time.. but that does not mean that the relationship is likely to be restored to what it was. Too much has happened and Harry is now abroad permanently.. and has a new life. If he continues to engage with the American media in the way he did in March, relations will never be the same again.. if he does go on with his new life but does not any longer do interviews on private matters, things will probably slowly improve.
But certainly both of them were wrong last year to show their annoyance with each other, and Im sure that it was decided that at THIS occasion, they must be seen being polite....
Old 04-18-2021, 05:21 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy50 View Post
Just saw on vipnews at Tv that Meghan leaked or said she is now forgiving the Royal family.
Is there any source to this?
Thanks.
oh, that´s so generous of her! I do hope they will not forgive HER so soon...

Closed Thread