The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2021, 02:18 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
I am inclined to think it was strategically done by the Duchess of Cambridge for her and William to sandwich Prince Harry and then for her to drop off and go with the Countess of Wessex and Lady Louise.

That way the media can see the brothers talking and in pleasant moods. Very clever Kate!
Eh...Speculation.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Don't really want to be side tracked, but the UK media speculating or suggesting what may or may not be going on is very different, in my opinion, to Gayle repeating on national television a conversation she had with Meghan or Harry.

Exactly. Anonymous sources, or directly from Harry or Meghan's mouth is a different kettle of fish entirely.

Old 04-17-2021, 02:24 PM
Nobility

Nobody knows what was said. I don't think Kate "engineered it." It would have been worse if they did not speak. Maybe both realized they did need to show some solidarity.

Old 04-17-2021, 02:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tihkon2 View Post
Eh...Speculation.....
Of course. It was just too convenient.
Old 04-17-2021, 02:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
My cynical side tells me it was a well orchestrated PR stunt, but i can't deny it was very nice to see them side by side.
We all know members in our own families who act differently with or without their spouses. I guess Harry is one of them.
I thought the same.
It seemed staged, so the press couldn't say they totally ignored one another.
I suspect they kept to a few innocuous remarks.
Old 04-17-2021, 02:41 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
Of course. It was just too convenient.
Not for me. It seemed organic to me.
Old 04-17-2021, 02:45 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
One thing I thought was nice, also, was that one of the wreaths that were by the side of where Philip's coffin rested inside the chapel was from The Duchess of Sussex.

With this being such a sad and solemn occasion for the entire family, I sincerely doubt that much thought was given to "optics" and how the press would see things. I'm with those that thought the brothers acted spontaneously.
Old 04-17-2021, 02:48 PM
Aristocracy

I tend towards thinking it is organic, but I wouldn't put it past the Palace to stage manage the whole thing.
Old 04-17-2021, 02:52 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
One thing I thought was nice, also, was that one of the wreaths that were by the side of where Philip's coffin rested inside the chapel was from The Duchess of Sussex.
I thought the wreath was nice. The press release about it, including details about how it was the same florist with locally sourced flowers who had done their wedding, right in the middle of the funeral was a bit tacky.

Especially when BP said they weren't commenting on any of the family wreaths.
Old 04-17-2021, 02:59 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
I thought the wreath was nice. The press release about it, including details about how it was the same florist with locally sourced flowers who had done their wedding, right in the middle of the funeral was a bit tacky.

Especially when BP said they weren't commenting on any of the family wreaths.
There is a press release about it? During the service? That totally reduces the value of it; as apparently it was primarily to promote something/someone; and not to honor the duke - as that could have been done in silence.
Old 04-17-2021, 03:03 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
There is a press release about it? During the service? That totally reduces the value of it; as apparently it was primarily to promote something/someone; and not to honor the duke - as that could have been done in silence.
I watched the BBC feed and the only time the wreath was mentioned was before the procession even started from the castle. Basically, the BBC feed from inside during the service was focused on what was going on and not too much commentary at all.
Old 04-17-2021, 03:08 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by tihkon2 View Post
Not for me. It seemed organic to me.
I don't think it was planned at all to walk. The cars would not have stay then they would have returned to the castle. You can see them standing around as if undecided what to do and then James and Edward started walking so the others followed.
I think Zara and Mike jumped in a car, which I wish Eugenie had done. She really looked like she was having trouble. Where did Anne and Mark go?
Then they seemed to muddle up a bit as they weren't certain which gate to enter - the Wessex walked to the wrong one and then when they came back were with the Cambridge and people who had crossed at another point were ahead of them.

Personally I think Edward wanted to take James away for a quiet moment. And then the whole family thought it was a lets trek up the hill move. Honestly don't know. It was just odd watching the cars go pass them.

Quote:

With this being such a sad and solemn occasion for the entire family, I sincerely doubt that much thought was given to "optics" and how the press would see things. I'm with those that thought the brothers acted spontaneously.
There are several wreaths inside the chapel. The Daily Express has a photo of the one side of the pews that show them. There is one from every family. So there is one from the Prince of Wales & Duchess of Cornwall, Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and children , Duke and Duchess of Sussex and children ect.
It is not specifically from Meghan. To be honest we dont even know if they have identified the correct wreath?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ce-Philip.html
Old 04-17-2021, 03:08 PM
Majesty

Quote:
I watched the BBC feed and the only time the wreath was mentioned was before the procession even started from the castle. Basically, the BBC feed from inside during the service was focused on what was going on and not too much commentary at all.
Thanks, so at least not during the service as I feared based on the post I replied to; but still I wonder why those details needed to be revealed.

I watched the live coverage on The Royal Family's own YouTube-channel, so no commentary at all. Which was very peaceful I must say. The only disadvantage was that they cut away after the family left the quire; so no coverage of the family leaving St George's Chapel.
Old 04-17-2021, 03:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I don't think it was planned at all to walk. The cars would not have stay then they would have returned to the castle. You can see them standing around as if undecided what to do and then James and Edward started walking so the others followed.
I think Zara and Mike jumped in a car, which I wish Eugenie had done. She really looked like she was having trouble. Where did Anne and Mark go?
Then they seemed to muddle up a bit as they weren't certain which gate to enter - the Wessex walked to the wrong one and then when they came back were with the Cambridge and people who had crossed at another point were ahead of them.

Personally I think Edward wanted to take James away for a quiet moment. And then the whole family thought it was a lets trek up the hill move. Honestly don't know. It was just odd watching the cars go pass them.
It wasn’t - it was Charles’ idea to walk as a family
Old 04-17-2021, 03:36 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
There are several wreaths inside the chapel. The Daily Express has a photo of the one side of the pews that show them. There is one from every family. So there is one from the Prince of Wales & Duchess of Cornwall, Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and children , Duke and Duchess of Sussex and children ect.
It is not specifically from Meghan. To be honest we dont even know if they have identified the correct wreath?

I was just going by what the commentary said before the procession even began. They just mentioned that The Duchess of Sussex was unable to attend due to her doctors advising against travel for medical reasons. Then they mentioned the wreath and that the Duchess would be watching from her home in California. Pretty innocuous and straight forward reporting is the feeling I got from it.
Old 04-17-2021, 03:39 PM
Courtier

Quote:

I have no idea exactly when the press release about it was put out but there’s articles everywhere about how they commissioned it, the florist was the same one who did their wedding and Archie’s christening, exactly what flowers were used and why, and lots of words about Meghan attaching a handwritten note because she couldn’t be there. I don’t think it was necessary at all to release the information, it should have been a quiet gesture. If it was released during the funeral then it’s even worse. Absolutely all of today’s attention should have been focused on Windsor and the late DoE, not on Montecito and Meghan.

ETA: Looking at the time stamps on the articles it does appear that they all hit right at the time of the funeral so I’d guess that’s when the information was shared with the press.
Old 04-17-2021, 03:50 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Thanks, so at least not during the service as I feared based on the post I replied to; but still I wonder why those details needed to be revealed.
When I watched it seemed to have been announced on SM and livefeeds from the papers during the procession, along with a whole article of detail on the symbolism of every flower and the symbolism of the choice of florist and a handwritten note by Meghan, so much so that many people were confused and thought the wreath on his casket was Meghan's not The Queens because they hadn't shown the others in the chapel properly, although that part isn't necessarily the Sussexes fault.

No details of the other wreaths were announced either during or before the service. I thought the wreath was lovely but the timing was tacky.
Old 04-17-2021, 04:00 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
My cynical side tells me it was a well orchestrated PR stunt, but i can't deny it was very nice to see them side by side.
We all know members in our own families who act differently with or without their spouses. I guess Harry is one of them.
I agree with you. I think it was done to emphasize the point that Meghan has supposedly made: Harry is royal and will always remain royal.
Old 04-17-2021, 04:21 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post
I agree with you. I think it was done to emphasize the point that Meghan has supposedly made: Harry is royal and will always remain royal.
I am sure that its more to show some kind of decent unity in grief. Im sure teh queen doesn't want there to be any sign of coolness in public between her grandson and his brohter or the other members of the family...
Old 04-17-2021, 05:07 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Heather_ View Post
I have no idea exactly when the press release about it was put out but there’s articles everywhere about how they commissioned it, the florist was the same one who did their wedding and Archie’s christening, exactly what flowers were used and why, and lots of words about Meghan attaching a handwritten note because she couldn’t be there. I don’t think it was necessary at all to release the information, it should have been a quiet gesture. If it was released during the funeral then it’s even worse. Absolutely all of today’s attention should have been focused on Windsor and the late DoE, not on Montecito and Meghan.

ETA: Looking at the time stamps on the articles it does appear that they all hit right at the time of the funeral so I’d guess that’s when the information was shared with the press.
Who gave these details to the press about this wreath I wonder. Did this happen with the other wreaths as well?
Old 04-17-2021, 05:25 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
Who gave these details to the press about this wreath I wonder. Did this happen with the other wreaths as well?
As far as I can tell there are only very generalized details about the other wreaths, namely that each family has sent one, i.e. one from Mike and Zara, one from William and Catherine, one from Jack and Eugenie, etc. I haven’t found anything more or anything more detailed about them.

As for who provided all of the details, I’m not sure. I do know that the articles are all identical in the paragraphs describing the flowers and their symbolism and why they were chosen as well as the florist and their connection to Harry and Meghan’s wedding and Archie’s christening. They were also alike in the descriptions of the note that Meghan apparently wrote. Anyway, all that to say that while the articles had some filler that differed by author and/or publication, those details were all identical and clearly came from a release to the press. I also noticed that Scobie retweeted the article about the wreath that was put out by Harper’s Bazaar and given that we know for certain that he’s a mouthpiece for Harry and Meghan I think we can conclude that the details were accurate and provided by their camp.

Closed Thread