The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2021, 11:22 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
Iím very about that; Iíve never felt their relationship was beyond repair.

Were there any images of Harry and Charles ? Everyone is focused on the brothers, but to me the rift between father and son is just as tragic.
Charles was mostly ahead of his sons. So no images with either. I wasn't expecting the image with the brothers but was pleasantly surprised.

This is a small step but that really is all it takes when there is a rift. Maybe after Meghan gives birth and a little time has passed, we might see the Sussex family travel back to the UK for a visit. I wouldn't rule it out.

This was a lovely service. I am glad Harry was able to bid farewell.

Old 04-17-2021, 11:28 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
It was a nice image to see Harry sandwiched by William and Kate. Then we saw the brothers walking together talking. Hopefully this will be the start of the healing. It will take a lot of time but it can be done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Yes it was hopeful to see the three of them walking off together after the service. A nice sight to see.
One can hope that, this indeed, was a signal of the beginning of the healing process, and the path to rebuilding that relationship, though I remain sceptical. Events of the last 16 months have been so damaging, that it will take a vry long time for any form of trust to return. I sincerely hope that we do not hear about any family conversations that may or may not take place from Gayle or Oprah or any of the "friends" of the Duchess in the US ever.

Old 04-17-2021, 11:33 AM
Imperial Majesty

I would SO love it if the Sussexes decide to bring the new baby back to Britain for a family christening. Few events have the power to heal like the birth of a child.

I will keep my fingers crossed and remain hopeful that all is not lost here.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 04-17-2021, 11:34 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
One can hope that, this indeed, was a signal of the beginning of the healing process, and the path to rebuilding that relationship, though I remain sceptical. Events of the last 16 months have been so damaging, that it will take a vry long time for any form of trust to return. I sincerely hope that we do not hear about any family conversations that may or may not take place from Gayle or Oprah or any of the "friends" of the Duchess in the US ever.
Or the front page of the Times or Telegraph via Roya or Tominey via "sources"? Same coin, different side.

Anyways I just hope this can be the start of healing on all sides. Seeing the Queen sitting alone looking a bit fragile... I just hope she can have her family mended in some way. None of them are perfect. I am sure there was hurt done on all sides. They don't hate each other. It can be done with work.
Old 04-17-2021, 11:34 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Charles was mostly ahead of his sons. So no images with either. I wasn't expecting the image with the brothers but was pleasantly surprised.

This is a small step but that really is all it takes when there is a rift. Maybe after Meghan gives birth and a little time has passed, we might see the Sussex family travel back to the UK for a visit. I wouldn't rule it out.

This was a lovely service. I am glad Harry was able to bid farewell.
Thanks ! Iím sure Charles was glad to see his sons together ...and, I certainly think heís seen/talked to Harry.

Every journey has to start with a single step...and there is no time like the present. However long Harry stays, itís a beginning ...I wonít rule out his return to the U.K. - with Meghan and kids in tow, either. That would be something to look forward to.

Quote:
Or the front page of the Times or Telegraph via Roya or Tominey via "sources"? Same coin, different side.

Anyways I just hope this can be the start of healing on all sides. Seeing the Queen sitting alone looking a bit fragile... I just hope she can have her family mended in some way. None of them are perfect. I am sure there was hurt done on all sides. They don't hate each other. It can be done with work.
Exactly. They all do love each other deeply, and I hope that they are remembering that today.. Iím sure HM and Charles have been devastated by this rift - and so even just a small step in the right direction is very positive.
Old 04-17-2021, 11:41 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Don't really want to be side tracked, but the UK media speculating or suggesting what may or may not be going on is very different, in my opinion, to Gayle repeating on national television a conversation she had with Meghan or Harry.
Old 04-17-2021, 11:47 AM
Serene Highness

It was only a couple of months ago that the press were full of "they're all close again, Zooming everyday and looking forward to meeting up for family time at the Diana statue unveiling, maybe even Balmoral." Then the interview happened.

It was very good that they were able to chat a bit and maybe this is the start of dialogue but I think it will be a long road, although this may be the start.
Old 04-17-2021, 11:51 AM
Nobility

I'd like to see both couples together, getting along.
Old 04-17-2021, 12:05 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
It was only a couple of months ago that the press were full of "they're all close again, Zooming everyday and looking forward to meeting up for family time at the Diana statue unveiling, maybe even Balmoral." Then the interview happened.

It was very good that they were able to chat a bit and maybe this is the start of dialogue but I think it will be a long road, although this may be the start.
After all we have seen from Harry being "emotional" it is possible that now he has been without his wife back to his old lifestyle during a few tense days simply changed him back to what he seemed to be, less complicated, a little easygoing, close to W&K.
But like so often this is only an idea. Time will tell, and especially when/if there will be new leaks, telling friends of H&M or if Harry now understood something of his grandfathers sense of service and respects his folks and the life they have chosen. hopefully he has.
Old 04-17-2021, 12:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

This is true but it also goes to show how little we know. People also were convinced that Harry wouldn't be welcome and apparently it was so bad they wouldn't even talk. They didn't have to do this. They could have maintained the distance we saw majority of the service and no one would have thought twice.

Instead we saw the brothers come together. Time will obviously tell but from the reaction I heard from the media... it is clear, despite the ranting all week, that deep down they do want this family healed. Heck that seems to be he new narrative now. The hope this small olive branch between them is the beginning.

Who knows. I am just glad we had that small moment. Death puts a lot into perspective.
Old 04-17-2021, 12:44 PM
Heir Apparent

The royal family loves Harry and will always take him back. Harry is free to make his choices, and BRF may like it or not.
I believe that Harry now enjoys being close to his family until he returns to his wife and children.
I'm pretty sure that Harry has already regretted (or will still regret) the interview he and Meghan gave to Oprah.
It is not yet known when Harry will return to the United States?
Old 04-17-2021, 12:49 PM
Majesty

Harry can't have seen anyting of his family during his week of isolation..nad I would not be sanguine about things improving. He clearly had much more anger and issues about his family and royal life than anyone would have guessed...
Old 04-17-2021, 01:08 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
It was good to see the three of them together but I don't think we can read anything into it other than they have made sure to put everything else aside and concentrate on their grandparents.
TV.

Agreed. Iím not reading anything into it. It was nice to see, but one would hope they could set their issues aside and celebrate the life of a man they both loved, maybe share memories, and be supportive to their grandmother and to the rest of the family and be able to converse with each other in the course of doing so. They didnít/donít have to, of course, but I would have hoped so and am glad to see that.

Maybe it is a start though. Thereís clearly a lot of water under that bridge though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
It is still an improvement over that Commonwealth service where he literally looked like he could kill.

Yes. Very true. It is an improvement.

But this was also the funeral of their grandfather. Iím sure the focus was rightly on that- not on their issues. I would not have expected to see them glaring at each other or showing signs of being angry.

Whereas the commonwealth service was the Sussexes last engagement as working royals....very different situations.
Old 04-17-2021, 01:14 PM
Aristocracy

And the way the "bubbles" mixed on their way back, having taken off the masks, may tell there will be a meeting for the family members. sure they have all been tested if not vaccined already anyway and some had covid already...

I wonder how they (W&K) deal with the children. If there is really a rift plus Covid and Mexit, they haven't seen Uncle Harry for probably a very long period since H&M left.
Though normally one keeps the kids out if adult's troubles things are here mire complicated,
but maybe nobody is wary about Harry anyway.
Hope they all had a good week though grieving.
Old 04-17-2021, 01:26 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin9 View Post
Yes. Very true. It is an improvement.

But this was also the funeral of their grandfather. I’m sure the focus was rightly on that- not on their issues. I would not have expected to see them glaring at each other or showing signs of being angry.

Whereas the commonwealth service was the Sussexes last engagement as working royals....very different situations.
No, I agree about the difference in situations. However, the reason I called it an improvement was because they could've just avoided one another if they wanted to.
Regardless, it was kind of cute how Harry naturally gravitated towards William, even walking in between him and Kate...lol. It was nice to see him keeping up with William.

If you observe, Kate moved away, giving them space. That woman deserves so much credit, I can't even begin to tell.
Old 04-17-2021, 01:37 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
No, I agree about the difference in situations. However, the reason I called it an improvement was because they could've just avoided one another if they wanted to.
Regardless, it was kind of cute how Harry naturally gravitated towards William, even walking in between him and Kate...lol. It was nice to see him keeping up with William.

If you observe, Kate moved away, giving them space. That woman deserves so much credit, I can't even begin to tell.

True. They absolutely could have just ignored each other. Itís nice that they didnít. I just didnít expect to see any glaring at each other either. Not the time or the place for their personal issues to spill over. My expectation was that they could and would park that at the door at a minimum and focus on why they were there.

The nice part to me was that they talked. They could have totally ignored each other. But one would think/hope that at your grandfatherís funeral you could be civil and converse- at the least about him, their grandmother, the service itself, how to be supportive....something. But that is certainly not a given at family funerals when thereís tension between various members. Thatís for sure.

Philip said to his biographer that he was glad William found such a ďlevel headed girl.Ē Everything about Catherine suggests to me that she is indeed quite level headed. So- not surprised to see her giving them space to say whatever they wanted.
Old 04-17-2021, 01:48 PM
Commoner

Quote:

I also give Peter Phillips a world of credit, whether by plan or not, he held his distance back from the brothers just enough that they were more side-by-side. Well done to this family
Old 04-17-2021, 01:59 PM
Aristocracy

I hope that Harry stays to celebrate his grandmother's 95th birthday next Wednesday. That would be a lovely gesture to make and mean more time with the family.
Old 04-17-2021, 02:02 PM
Nobility

Harry has a family of his own now. COVID has changed a lot of family dynamics about travel. Harry's UK family if they want to take Harry back will need to also take his wife and son and soon to be born daughter. There have been other TV interviews pre Harry and Meghan and things were smoothed out eventually. I would hope that once COVID is over, there will be more visits and Harry can bring his family and they can stay and visit. Even if he decides not live in the UK they can still all visit. I think both decided to talk and even without Catherine or Peter it still would have happened.
Old 04-17-2021, 02:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

My cynical side tells me it was a well orchestrated PR stunt, but i can't deny it was very nice to see them side by side.
We all know members in our own families who act differently with or without their spouses. I guess Harry is one of them.

Closed Thread