The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #641  
Old 04-15-2021, 08:32 PM
Frelinghighness's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New England, United States
Posts: 5,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia View Post
Thank you



The below quote is the only part in the transcript Kaye1850 linked to that somewhat resembles what you describe:



If that's the part you're referencing, "Meghan making a point of telling Oprah that the pictures of her and Kate together seemingly friendly didn't reflect reality" is an incredibly misleading summary of the actual conversation. She clearly wasn't referencing her and Kate's relationship. She was referencing the experience of marrying into the royal family when she said that "it's nothing like what it looks like".
I wouldnít have been able to stomach the so called interview but this section of the transcript is even worse than I imagined. The quote you refer to seems to implicate Kate AND the entire family. Of course that is minus the body language etc.
__________________

  #642  
Old 04-15-2021, 08:32 PM
Somebody's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Somewhere, Suriname
Posts: 6,136
This is an interesting quote from Meghan about the 'cry story': Meghan seems to be saying that she cried because Catherine wasn't supportive (enough) of her...

Quote:
A few days before the wedding, she was upset about something pertaining — yes, the issue was correct — about flower-girl dresses, and it made me cry, and it really hurt my feelings. And I thought, in the context of everything else that was going on in those days leading to the wedding, that it didn’t make sense to not be just doing whatever everyone else was doing, which was trying to be supportive, knowing what was going on with my dad and whatnot.
(...)
It wasn’t a confrontation, and I actually don’t think it’s fair to her to get into the details of that, because she apologised.
What did being 'supportive' mean in that case? Just go with whatever she suggested because anything else would be perceived as being 'unsupportive' and would make her cry as she was at the border of crying every moment in the week leading up to her wedding [N.B. I do understand that final week must have been very stressful]? Or did Catherine truly say something inappropriate? I guess they might both have raised their voices in a less than pleasant conversation... with everyone walking on egg shells and being emotional wrecks?!
__________________

  #643  
Old 04-15-2021, 08:41 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Missouri, United States
Posts: 889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Heavs and Erin9, even though Kate graciously apologized, the story that Meghan made her cry is still generally accepted as part of the Meghan Canon. I suppose that is the reason it was brought up in the Oprah interview.

As much as I question Meghan's motives and her tendency to be economical with the truth in that interview, I genuinely do not believe she brought up the DoC's name for reason of spite. The fact that the false narrative that Meghan was the heavy in this story was allowed to spread and take on a life of its own with no rebuttal from Buckingham Palace or Kate's office even. It's all well and good to apologize, but why passively sit around and allow a lie to become pretty much gospel in the press and more fodder for the legions of Sussex detractors?

Meghan is obviously still resentful and I don't blame her one bit for that.

Now....IF the rumor that Meghan slammed the door in Kate's face is true, that is indeed a game changer and might go a ways toward explaining why KP did not originally shut down the story "made her cry" story.
I see what youíre saying here, I really do. But I have to ask, why are you so sure that Meghanís version is the true and accurate version? You admit she was ďeconomical with the truthĒ which is most definitely fair to say, why automatically believe that this piece was true? Maybe it was. Maybe it wasnít. Maybe it was a sort of half truth. Either way we simply donít know. But after the lies, the twisted words, and the half truths, Iím not inclined to take it for granted or give her the benefit of the doubt.

As for slamming the door in Kateís face...if thatís true, it most certainly explains why Kate, and probably the entire family/Firm, felt no real need to issue any sort of statement or correction. That says a lot about Meghan and none of it is good, if itís true. Honestly, I donít think Iíve ever actually heard of them ever issuing a statement about rumors of who likes who this week, who is mad at who and why, etc. so I donít know why they would in this instance. Why would Meghanís demands carry more weight than anyone else thatís ever been the target of these stories and frankly, they all have been at one point or another.
  #644  
Old 04-15-2021, 08:46 PM
Frelinghighness's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New England, United States
Posts: 5,742
can you believe someone saying something like that on television? Complaining about your sister in law or anyone in the run up to your wedding? I never really paid attention to that story when it came because it just seemed like tabloid fodder. But to talk about it years later on tv? She must have an enemies list to rival Richard Nixon’s.
  #645  
Old 04-15-2021, 08:57 PM
Somebody's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Somewhere, Suriname
Posts: 6,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin9 View Post
There was something in that interview where pictures of Meghan and Catherine together were shown and Meghan said something like appearances were deceiving. I canít remember exactly, but she was clearly saying: weíre not close.
Here is what she said:

Quote:
Oprah: Did you feel welcomed by everyone? It seemed like you and Kate . . . at the Wimbledon game where you were going to watch a friend play tennis . . . 

Meghan: (Laughs)

Oprah: Was it what it looked like? You are two sisters-in-law out there in the world, getting to know each other. Was she helping you, embracing you into the family, helping you adjust?

Meghan: I think everyone welcomed me.

Oprah: Mm-hmm.

Meghan: And, yeah, when you say, ĎWas it what it looked like?í, my under-standing and my experience of the past four years is itís nothing like what it looks like. Itís nothing like what it looks like. And I . . . and I remember so often people within The Firm would say, ĎWell, you canít do this because itíll look like that. You canítí.
After this Meghan moves on to describe how she was asked to "lay low" while she said she had only left the house 2 times in 4 months.

I'd say the fact that she is not acknowledging how Catherine supported her after she had just praised the queen, is indeed sending a very clear message.
  #646  
Old 04-15-2021, 09:00 PM
Somebody's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Somewhere, Suriname
Posts: 6,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Heather_ View Post
I see what you’re saying here, I really do. But I have to ask, why are you so sure that Meghan’s version is the true and accurate version? You admit she was “economical with the truth” which is most definitely fair to say, why automatically believe that this piece was true? Maybe it was. Maybe it wasn’t. Maybe it was a sort of half truth. Either way we simply don’t know. But after the lies, the twisted words, and the half truths, I’m not inclined to take it for granted or give her the benefit of the doubt.

As for slamming the door in Kate’s face...if that’s true, it most certainly explains why Kate, and probably the entire family/Firm, felt no real need to issue any sort of statement or correction. That says a lot about Meghan and none of it is good, if it’s true. Honestly, I don’t think I’ve ever actually heard of them ever issuing a statement about rumors of who likes who this week, who is mad at who and why, etc. so I don’t know why they would in this instance. Why would Meghan’s demands carry more weight than anyone else that’s ever been the target of these stories and frankly, they all have been at one point or another.
This part to me is rather damning and damaging to the royal family. Although given how Meghan's perspective at times is far from the truth, I am not sure what she is referring to (the truth-telling is probably about the cry-incident) but what is she implying with the 'they are willing to lie'? I fully believe that the palace 'spins'; and by leaving out details might give a different impression than 'nothing but the truth' - but that is something that Meghan and Harry will fully understand, I suppose. That's how keeping (or creating) an image works. But I wonder what full-blown lies the firm would be willing to spread just to preserve face.

Quote:
that I came to under-stand that not only was I not being protected, but they were willing to lie to protect other members of the family but they weren’t willing to tell the truth to protect me and my husband.
  #647  
Old 04-15-2021, 09:08 PM
Royalist.in.NC's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Asheville, United States
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Heather_ View Post
I'm not the poster you were replying to so I can't speak for that person. In my view, though, I would agree that they were absolutely desperate to get that interview out there before Philip died and it was no stretch to say that at the age of 99 absolutely no one believed he'd be dancing a jig a year or two, or even several months, from now.

As for why, well, even they could see how poorly it would be received if they aired all of that dirty laundry shortly after the death of the much respected and revered DoE. And, as Gayle King and Company have made clear, they believed it was something they had to do and they were taken aback by the backlash and were apparently mystified that everyone was focused on racism claims when they intended for everyone to be focused on, well, I'm not even really sure what.

By doing the interview and airing it when they did, they were able to avoid the backlash that would have come with "Attacking the Queen and the RF in the wake of the DoE's death" perception. They were able to say that no one knew he was going to die, they had no control over when it aired, etc. but had he died prior to the interview/airing then the entire thing would have had to be scrapped or their names/reputations wouldn't have had a chance of recovery. It's one thing to drag your family through the mud, throw them under the bus, and air your dirty laundry in public. It's another to attack your family while the family, the nation, and the world are grieving the loss of the longest serving consort in UK history.
Thanks for your thoughts, Heather! Iím sorry, I messed up my reply post - 😂
  #648  
Old 04-15-2021, 09:10 PM
Archduchess Zelia's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 2,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
What did being 'supportive' mean in that case? Just go with whatever she suggested because anything else would be perceived as being 'unsupportive' and would make her cry as she was at the border of crying every moment in the week leading up to her wedding [N.B. I do understand that final week must have been very stressful]? Or did Catherine truly say something inappropriate? I guess they might both have raised their voices in a less than pleasant conversation... with everyone walking on egg shells and being emotional wrecks?!
Trying not to create unnecessary hullaballoo in the middle of an already stressful time? According to Camilla Tominey's original story (although Tominey isn't exactly the pinnacle of reliability), the argument was about whether or not the bridesmaids should wear tights. Meghan supposedly didn't want them to wear tights because it was a warm day whereas it was laid out as though Kate felt that, according to protocol, they should be.

Supposing that that was the root of the argument (again, I'm not sure how reliable I'd say Tominey is), I'd guess Meghan meant supportive in the sense that maintaining that the bridesmaids (in a wedding that is not your own) should wear tights because that's the right protocol is just unnecessary. What would it matter if they were wearing tights or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frelinghighness View Post
I wouldnít have been able to stomach the so called interview but this section of the transcript is even worse than I imagined. The quote you refer to seems to implicate Kate AND the entire family. Of course that is minus the body language etc.
How so? If I remember the interview correct, I felt it was pretty clear that the "what it looks like" part was in reference to her experience with everything. How she thought it would be versus how it actually turned out to be. That part wasn't aimed at the family.
__________________
"Hope is like the sun. If you only believe it when you see it you'll never make it through the night."
ó Our Princess

  #649  
Old 04-15-2021, 09:17 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Missouri, United States
Posts: 889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia View Post
Trying not to create unnecessary hullaballoo in the middle of an already stressful time? According to Camilla Tominey's original story (although Tominey isn't exactly the pinnacle of reliability), the argument was about whether or not the bridesmaids should wear tights. Meghan supposedly didn't want them to wear tights because it was a warm day whereas it was laid out as though Kate felt that, according to protocol, they should be.

Supposing that that was the root of the argument (again, I'm not sure how reliable I'd say Tominey is), I'd guess Meghan meant supportive in the sense that maintaining that the bridesmaids (in a wedding that is not your own) should wear tights because that's the right protocol is just unnecessary. What would it matter if they were wearing tights or not?
Honestly, this may be a matter of perception. People like to bang on about how no one helped Meghan, no one told her about protocols or how things were done, etc. Kate would certainly know after all these years if itís protocol for flower girls to wear tights (they do seem to always wear them based on photos of other royal weddings) and perhaps she believed she was helping Meghan by letting her know in case she didnít. Most people wouldnít want to put a foot wrong on their wedding day when marrying into the BRF in a place as historic as St. Georgeís Chapel. Had I been Meghan, if that really was what occurred, I can honestly say Iíd have seen that as someone trying to help me become acquainted with protocol, fit in, etc.
  #650  
Old 04-15-2021, 09:23 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Missouri, United States
Posts: 889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
What did being 'supportive' mean in that case? Just go with whatever she suggested because anything else would be perceived as being 'unsupportive' and would make her cry as she was at the border of crying every moment in the week leading up to her wedding [N.B. I do understand that final week must have been very stressful]? Or did Catherine truly say something inappropriate? I guess they might both have raised their voices in a less than pleasant conversation... with everyone walking on egg shells and being emotional wrecks?!
I have to say, Iím still a bit floored how often Meghan speaks about needing to be supported and protected. But just in this interview but constantly. Iím honestly not sure Iíve ever known a grown, independent, successful woman who needed this much support and protection.
  #651  
Old 04-15-2021, 09:26 PM
Royalist.in.NC's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Asheville, United States
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I have a serious question here about a thought I've had.

Do you think it's possible that Meghan would still have wanted to tell "her side of things" had they been allowed to have the "half in and half out" way of doing things that was their original intention? Or did both Harry and Meghan feel they needed to "clear the air" because they didn't get things to go as they wanted them to go?

Seriously here. We tend to forget their original intention was to remain as senior working royals for the "Firm" representing the Queen while still pursuing the lifestyle they now have in California. The biggest thunderbolt was not being allowed to be "half in" with the perks that being working royal afforded them.
That is a really good question, Osipi! My thinking is that no, they would not have done this interview because they got what they wanted so donít bite the hand that feeds you. But since they didnít get what they wanted....As time goes on it feels more and more like revenge and a desire to lash out in anger and hurt because they did not get what they wanted. And they certainly thought they would get what they wanted or they wouldnít have written what they did on Sussexroyal.
  #652  
Old 04-15-2021, 09:27 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 8,138
IMO it was Meghanís wedding and it was her decision as to whether her little bridesmaids wore tights or not on a very hot day, not the duty of the mother of one of those bridesmaids to tell her what was supposedly protocol or not. Comfort in the heat should surely come before whatever has been done at some traditional weddings for sixty odd years. The little girls looked fine.

Having said that, I have read that the crying of one or the other was because Charlotteís dress didnít fit properly. If that was true then the obligation is on the dressmaker who made the outfit to make sure it fits by ensuring there are previous fittings before the wedding. That sort of thing is not the brideís responsibility.
  #653  
Old 04-15-2021, 09:32 PM
Eskimo's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Dallas, United States
Posts: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
What baffles me most now is that if things were so bad and dire and horrible and Meghan was having so many problems including thoughts of suicide, why would she even begin to think of assenting to be half in working for the big, bad institution and living part time in the UK where the problems stemmed from in the first place. This is what doesn't make sense to me at all. Unless.... the half in was intended to "foot the bill" for their lifestyle they wanted?

Things just don't really add up to the way I believe Harry and Meghan want them to.
IMO, the half in and half out was what everyone assumes it was— want my cake and eat it too. It was using their status as senior royals to make $$$. As everyone knows celebrity is fleeting but being a senior member of the RF is for life. Maybe this was from a desire to make enough money so that Harry wouldn’t have to lower himself (eventually) to being funded by King William.

I seriously believe the interview was a result of frustration and desperation. With them getting no/limited monies from the RF, they needed to pay their bills. While the contracts they’ve landed are lucrative, they need to do significant hard work to see that money. In the meantime, not only do they have their own bills to pay but they have to shell out monies to produce the content needed to make money from their deals. COVID-19 put a damper on the easier money making gigs: speeches and other paid appearances. So, with money going out like crazy and potentially not enough coming in.....

With their half in-half out idea they’d assumed that the RF would fund their international jet setting lifestyle and any money they made would fully be an addition to their bank balance. Now with an expensive lifestyle to fund, this “addition” is significantly reduced, plus with no Royal duties they have to work hard to keep their name in the press— which they need to attract more money making opportunities.
  #654  
Old 04-15-2021, 09:33 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: N/A, Bulgaria
Posts: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Heather_ View Post
Honestly, this may be a matter of perception. People like to bang on about how no one helped Meghan, no one told her about protocols or how things were done, etc. Kate would certainly know after all these years if it’s protocol for flower girls to wear tights (they do seem to always wear them based on photos of other royal weddings) and perhaps she believed she was helping Meghan by letting her know in case she didn’t. Most people wouldn’t want to put a foot wrong on their wedding day when marrying into the BRF in a place as historic as St. George’s Chapel. Had I been Meghan, if that really was what occurred, I can honestly say I’d have seen that as someone trying to help me become acquainted with protocol, fit in, etc.
It's a matter of perception indeed. Given how I get bruises and blood unless my sandals are very open, no heels and front at all, you can be sure that had it been my daughter, she would have worn tights with these shoes, protocol or not. Am I the only person who never wears this type of shoes without something separating the skin? I wouldn't have been supportive at all if the bride had gone on about the day being warm and all, just because she doesn't get blisters and doesn't have any idea how unpleasant it is.
  #655  
Old 04-15-2021, 09:37 PM
Archduchess Zelia's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 2,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Heather_ View Post
Honestly, this may be a matter of perception. People like to bang on about how no one helped Meghan, no one told her about protocols or how things were done, etc. Kate would certainly know after all these years if it’s protocol for flower girls to wear tights (they do seem to always wear them based on photos of other royal weddings) and perhaps she believed she was helping Meghan by letting her know in case she didn’t. Most people wouldn’t want to put a foot wrong on their wedding day when marrying into the BRF in a place as historic as St. George’s Chapel. Had I been Meghan, if that really was what occurred, I can honestly say I’d have seen that as someone trying to help me become acquainted with protocol, fit in, etc.
If the story is true, I somehow doubt it was "just" a case of Kate notifying Meghan of the protocol in place In that case, it simply wouldn't have been "a story" at all.
__________________
"Hope is like the sun. If you only believe it when you see it you'll never make it through the night."
ó Our Princess

  #656  
Old 04-15-2021, 09:41 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Somewhere, United States
Posts: 1,780
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Heather_ View Post
I have to say, Iím still a bit floored how often Meghan speaks about needing to be supported and protected. But just in this interview but constantly. Iím honestly not sure Iíve ever known a grown, independent, successful woman who needed this much support and protection.


It is staggering really.

Harry and Meghan seem to have trouble picking a consistent narrative all around IMO. Is she independent? Or does she need constant support and hand holding? Pick a lane.

I have a feeling that when Meghan defines being supported, it means AGREEING with her completely. Thatís not how I define it, but I think she does.
  #657  
Old 04-15-2021, 09:44 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Missouri, United States
Posts: 889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia View Post
If the story is true, I somehow doubt it was just a case of Kate notifying Meghan of the protocol in place In that case, it simply wouldn't have been "a story" at all.
Why couldn’t it be exactly that?...Meghan’s clearly shown that she reads a lot into things, doesn’t like to be told no or that she’s wrong, etc. Who’s to say with the stress of the week that she wouldn’t have seen the advice as an attack? We don’t know that it happened but it certainly wouldn’t surprise me.
  #658  
Old 04-15-2021, 09:44 PM
Royalist.in.NC's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Asheville, United States
Posts: 133
Reply to Osipi

The institution didnít become big and bad until they didnít get what they wanted. On the Sussex royal site, they fell all over themselves talking about serving TQ and the Commonwealth and gave details about how they planned to do this. They sounded ďall inĒ with support for the Firm. I think they just could not believe nor understand why they didnít get what they wanted. I agree that it makes no sense why they would want to work even part time for ďthe firmĒ if it was all so terrible. But didnít it start with ďwe want to get away from the racist tabloidsĒ? Now I donít live in the UK and read that stuff but I could certainly believe that racist remarks or innuendo happened some. But in the interview the point that they made that was like a bomb dropping was not about the tabloids but some unnamed mysterious member of the RF. You are right; it makes absolutely no sense.
  #659  
Old 04-15-2021, 09:45 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Woodbury, United States
Posts: 2,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Yes, and that includes the Sussexes, especially Meghan, who was accused by the media of saying and doing multiple things every week, most of which proved later to be false.
Yes, it includes anyone who was proven to have falsely been accused of something...Like my Rabbi once said in a sermon, gossip is like ripping up a pillow where the feathers fly away; no matter how hard you try, itís impossible to get all of them back. Gossip, false accusations, bad information....they spread like wildfire. I told my mother tonight that if she wants any info on Royals, come to me and Iíll find out from the proper sources. She told me tonight she read on FB that Philip had other children (ie: he has affairs), that Harry isnít Charlesí son...etc.. She loves the Crown, and Iím forever telling her that itís fiction. I saw in Twitter today that someone said that the Crown made her hate Philip.

Whatever I feel about H and M, I try to be fair.
  #660  
Old 04-15-2021, 09:47 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Missouri, United States
Posts: 889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin9 View Post
I have a feeling that when Meghan defines being supported, it means AGREEING with her completely. Thatís not how I define it, but I think she does.
I agree. I think itís become pretty obvious that anyone who disagrees or says no is found to be unsupportive or attacking while the definition of supportive seems to be agreeing or saying yes. That doesnít seem to be a good formula for creating healthy relationships in any part of oneís life but it certainly does seem to be how she defines supportive and unsupportive.
__________________

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 4 (0 members and 4 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Duke & Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 3: March - April 2021 Jacknch Current Events Archive 2203 04-06-2021 12:08 PM




Popular Tags
#royalrelatives #royalgenes abu dhabi american american history ancestry baby names britannia british royal family british royals brownbitcoinqueen buckingham palace camilla's family camilla parker bowles canada carolin china chinese ming dynasty asia asian emperor royalty qing clarence house cpr dresses duchess of sussex duke of sussex earl of snowdon edward vii emperor family tree general news thread george vi gradenigo hereditary grand duchess stťphanie hereditary grand duke guillaume history hochberg house of windsor hypothetical monarchs jewellery jewelry kensington palace list of rulers maxima monarchy mountbatten names nepal nepalese royal family pless prince charles of luxembourg prince harry princess alexia (2005 -) princess chulabhorn princess dita princess eugenie princess laurentien princess of orange queen elizabeth ii queen louise queen victoria resusci anne royal court royal jewels royalty of taiwan russian court dress spain stuart thailand thai royal family unfinished portrait united states united states of america wales welsh


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:13 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises
×