The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2021, 11:17 PM
Gentry

Personally, I don't think a funeral is the appropriate time for Harry and Charles and William to work through their issues. I don't think anyone is thinking clearly when they are grieving.

And Covid makes it logistically difficult, too. Any discussions would have to be held outdoors. I just found the regulations:

The current rules - from 12 April

You can continue to meet up with others outdoors in private gardens and public spaces in groups of six (rule of six) or as two whole households:
These two households can be any size and a household can include an eligible support bubble.  For example, two families of four can meet, if each family live in the same household or form part of one support bubble.
If you are meeting with more than one other household there is a limit of six people.  For example, if you want to meet with friends who don’t live together or as a group of three families, the maximum number of people who can meet in a group is six.
You cannot mix indoors with people you do not live with or who are not in your support bubble.

https://www.london.gov.uk/coronaviru...o%20households.

Old 04-14-2021, 11:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
The Sussex couple returning to royal life and working for the monarchy will happen when there's daily snowball fights in hell. That is never going to happen. Not in this reality. I don't believe Harry and Meghan would ever *want* to go back nor do I think the BRF, the "Firm" and the British people would ever allow it or embrace it.

What we're talking about here is Harry mending fences with his family. Restoring communication and accepting the things that have happened as being the way they are and moving forward. No one ever is suggesting that the Sussexes return to the fold in the UK. That, in and of itself, is an impossibility after everything that has happened.
Agreed. That’s never happening but they can be civil and supportive players again with time. Joining the family at big events that extended family tend to appear. And when Charles is monarch, maybe things won’t be so distant despite the location of them all. That’s the hope. A reconciliation but time will tell.

Old 04-14-2021, 11:25 PM
Aristocracy

Maybe I'm missing something here, but I'm assuming they'll all be physically in the same place for the funeral, and would be allowed to meet in small groups outdoors afterwards. Current guidelines allow outdoor meetings of up to six people from two households. Everyone who lives within easy driving distance will still be within easy driving distance over the next few days. Everyone who doesn't is presumably staying on the grounds somewhere for at least a night or two.

...But if the timeframe she gave is correct and she's not due for at least two more months, then her pregnancy isn't a good reason for Harry to hop on the first flight back right after the funeral. So if that's what he does, I think it's perfectly fair to criticize him for not even trying to spend time with his extended family after their shared loss. If he just doesn't want to see them, that's his prerogative. But at that point it's time to call a spade a spade and recognize that no matter what's been claimed publicly, he simply isn't interested in repairing those relationships. I'd be more forgiving if they'd just lied about the due date, because I can understand why they'd want to, and this situation couldn't have been predicted at the time they did it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO
I think Harry will do what is best for him.
I think Harry will do what he thinks is best for himself, too. I just don't think that's how he should make decisions in this situation. Meghan and Archie aren't going to be meaningfully impacted by his staying a few days longer, so it's not about what's best for them, either. It should be about what's best for his 95-year-old newly-widowed grandmother, not what's best for Harry.
Old 04-14-2021, 11:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Well who is to say they want him to stay? People on this board love to state he is not welcomed over and over. Maybe he feels that too? Maybe they told him “You should leave once it’s over.”

I don’t believe it, but hey... maybe? We have no clue.

That said, Meghan’s due date really has nothing to do with him just wanting to return to his wife and son. I mean isn’t that normal?

Again we have no idea but we shall see. For all we know he might leave on Monday, which will give him the weekend to catch up.
Old 04-14-2021, 11:42 PM
Majesty

Every single mourner at that funeral has to stand or sit at least two metres apart, unless they share a household ‘bubble’.

Harry is presumably at Frogmore Cottage so he may just may be in a bubble with the Brooksbanks. He is not in a household bubble with the Queen, nor with his brother and sister in law, nor with his father and stepmother.

Masks will be worn by all the mourners at the funeral. Even afterwards, and out of doors, what sort of meaningful dialogue aimed at healing tensions could possibly be achieved under those circumstances?

Especially as Harry would not be able to visit his grandmother at Windsor Castle or BP, his father at Highgrove or CH, or his brother at Anmer or KP.
Old 04-14-2021, 11:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Also this is not the time for them to rehash all that. The focus will be on HMQ and Prince Philip. That’s said, that doesn’t mean they can’t jumpstart the lines of communication again. Hopefully they will. Drastic family events like this really can shift dynamics.
Old 04-14-2021, 11:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC21091968 View Post
I know this post might be deemed as speculation and a bit late to the conversation. In regards to whether Harry & Meghan knew about Prince Philip's health prior to the filming of Oprah's interview, Nigel Farage stated that a "royal correspondent" from UK's "big broadcaster) told him that the Royal Family and royal correspondent (if that is what the word "we" indicated) allegedly knew that Prince Philip was unlikely going to make it for his 100th birthday. This Fox News interview was done straight after the announcement of Prince Philip's death. Farage himself has uploaded this video on to his channel.

The "royal correspondent", who Farage did not name, said

Nigel Farage then made a conclusion and possibly an allegation that

Video start at 3:01 when the host of Fox News (I don't know about his name) asked Farage a question on Harry & Meghan and ends at 4:41 when Farage finished his response on Harry & Megan
https://youtu.be/Iu9bVb6qAyk?t=181

P.s. I won't be able to respond quickly (or even a reply) for the next 10 hours, as I have work.
Fox “news” is a tabloid tv and completely unreliable
Old 04-14-2021, 11:52 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
Yes he does need to quarantine when he returns to CA if he's not vaccinated. (Native Californians do not refer to our state as "Cali.")

https://covid19.ca.gov/travel/
'

Interesting. Thank You
Old 04-15-2021, 12:04 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Let's please move on from speculating about whether Meghan and Harry misstated her due date. Thanks.
Old 04-15-2021, 01:20 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I do think that now Philip has passed, the Queen will start to take her days a bit easier from here on out and relegate more to Charles and the family. It's been rumored that she'll reside predominately at Windsor and use BP as the "office".

About the time when the Queen perhaps was to "busy" to see Harry in the winter of 2019-2020, it possibly could be that Harry was hoping to talk with her in London and she was on hiatus at Wood Farm at the time (or Sandringham Big House) as it was the Christmas break. I'm sure if we checked the CC, we'd see what engagements she fulfilled during that time period.

It's just not unusual that if Harry wanted to sit down and talk with his grandmother, he'd have to go through her office and set a time and date. It's not unusual either for Harry to be told that the Queen was unavailable but I'm sure there could have been something set up somehow. It never panned out though. We don't have any kind of a definite timeline of how everything actually went down *before* the manifesto appeared publicly.
Old 04-15-2021, 02:07 AM
Nobility

Previous posters were asking about rules on Wakes etc. The covid guidance states 30 for a funeral but only 15 for a wake.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...virus-pandemic
Old 04-15-2021, 02:08 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
Well who is to say they want him to stay? People on this board love to state he is not welcomed over and over. Maybe he feels that too? Maybe they told him “You should leave once it’s over.”

I don’t believe it, but hey... maybe? We have no clue.

That said, Meghan’s due date really has nothing to do with him just wanting to return to his wife and son. I mean isn’t that normal?

Again we have no idea but we shall see. For all we know he might leave on Monday, which will give him the weekend to catch up.
Well, IF he would not be very welcome, I think no one is to blame after all the mess this couple caused and the lack of responsibility they showed...!
Many "ordinary people" in Britain also think H and M can stay now where they are for good.
Old 04-15-2021, 02:56 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
I wonder whether there might be a buffet meal for the guests after the funeral or whether that’s out due to Covid?

And if everyone has to remain in their bubbles due to Covid regulations surely there wouldn’t be any visiting between households for Harry or any of his relatives to speak to each other face to face anyway.
30 people can attend the funeral, but only 15 people can attend any wake/reception/come in for a cup of tea and a biscuit afterwards. I'm not sure what the logic of that is, but that's the rule!
Old 04-15-2021, 03:16 AM
Aristocracy

Just saw on vipnews at Tv that Meghan leaked or said she is now forgiving the Royal family.
Is there any source to this?
Thanks.
Old 04-15-2021, 03:22 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy50 View Post
Just saw on vipnews at Tv that Meghan leaked or said she is now forgiving the Royal family.
Is there any source to this?
Thanks.
Just "Meghan's friends" sources to various tabloids, so make of them what you will. For what it's worth it was the same sort of narrative the Omid Scobie who definitely has contact with approved Sussex sources was pushing a few days ago on GMB, although not quite as hard as some of the ones since.

Personally *if* true it's a cheek to say you aren't sorry about what you did before but are graciously going to forgive the family that *made* you wash your dirty laundry in public. Again, if these sources are what they wanted out there.

ETA The stripping of Harry's military appointments was apparently done after HM consulted with the heads of the armed forces and agreed with them that it wouldn't be suitable for Harry to keep them having permanently decamped to California to pursue a non royal life. That's one reason they weren't immediately dropped in early 2020.

There would necessarily be issues with something like the Invictus doc. Harry could be seen as profiting off injured soldiers whilst also being Captain General of the Marines, which would create a huge conflict of interest even though Invictus itself gets a donation.
Old 04-15-2021, 03:40 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
Just "Meghan's friends" sources to various tabloids, so make of them what you will. For what it's worth it was the same sort of narrative the Omid Scobie who definitely has contact with approved Sussex sources was pushing a few days ago on GMB, although not quite as hard as some of the ones since.

Personally *if* true it's a cheek to say you aren't sorry about what you did before but are graciously going to forgive the family that *made* you wash your dirty laundry in public. Again, if these sources are what they wanted out there.

ETA The stripping of Harry's military appointments was apparently done after HM consulted with the heads of the armed forces and agreed with them that it wouldn't be suitable for Harry to keep them having permanently decamped to California to pursue a non royal life. That's one reason they weren't immediately dropped in early 2020.

There would necessarily be issues with something like the Invictus doc. Harry could be seen as profiting off injured soldiers whilst also being Captain General of the Marines, which would create a huge conflict of interest even though Invictus itself gets a donation.
It's kind of like the ocean "forgiving" the raindrop for making it wet. Comes across to me as superficial, condescending magnanimosity. In the grand scheme of things and the way things have gone in the past year, I don't think Meghan really matters to the "Firm" or the monarchy at all anymore. She was within that fold for a New York minute and gone. She, however, as Harry's wife, is still considered "family" by the House of Windsor. That's due to her connection to Harry though and no more.
Old 04-15-2021, 03:48 AM
Aristocracy

thanks heavs and osipi.
I had important responsibilities and did not follow here or the media.

I would indeed look supergracious if the Duchess lowered herself to forgive HM&folks ,
or which the media will suggest could give proof it was DoE who dropped the comments... nothing is impossible with reporters. Heaven help!

May they all have a calm and peacefull and comforting farewell for Prince Philip.

And Meghan stay silent as any other well educated person would do in such a situation.
Old 04-15-2021, 04:50 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
It's kind of like the ocean "forgiving" the raindrop for making it wet. Comes across to me as superficial, condescending magnanimosity. In the grand scheme of things and the way things have gone in the past year, I don't think Meghan really matters to the "Firm" or the monarchy at all anymore. She was within that fold for a New York minute and gone. She, however, as Harry's wife, is still considered "family" by the House of Windsor. That's due to her connection to Harry though and no more.
I am really hoping that the sources are false, just tabloid fodder, and not Meghan asking her friends to give out tit bits.
Her close friends all say she is a lovely kind person, and if so surely she would keep quiet and not be saying anything at this time other than showing sympathy towards the queen.
Old 04-15-2021, 05:21 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
Also this is not the time for them to rehash all that. The focus will be on HMQ and Prince Philip. That’s said, that doesn’t mean they can’t jumpstart the lines of communication again. Hopefully they will. Drastic family events like this really can shift dynamics.
I have actually said this several times; even if they could rehash, it’s just not the time. The biggest issue, IMO, is miscommunication and misunderstanding...both of which lead to a breakdown in trust. All they need to do is to admit this, and then there is something to work with. Trust is something that will have to be regained over time, but the two M’s can be cleared up. It just feels like these three in various combinations and varying degrees have forgotten how much they love each other. They just need to start the ball rolling...
Old 04-15-2021, 06:25 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post
I agree that the reaction of the media has been very different in the U.S. However, first and foremost, Harry loves his family and wants to find a way a forward. I doubt the Queen or Charles would refuse to let them attend an event like the Trooping of the Color or the Jubilee. A few weeks ago, I would have believed that they would get a very chilly reception from the other royals whenever they came. But I think now more than ever, the family and even the public will pull together to support the Queen.

The more cynical side to me also thinks that they need the royal family more than the royal family needs them. I agree that the public has long memories and Harry and Meghan will probably never be completed forgiven or trusted. But there are a series of events that they will want to be part of to raise their profile for their "brand".

To do that, they will have to be at least tolerated. No one will jeer their presence as long as they are with the Queen. Appearing with the Queen in a few major public events (with minor royals and nonroyal family) and visiting her at Balmoral this summer, spending Christmas with her, etc. is the only way they will ever be tolerated in Britain.

I fully admit that I may be misreading the situation and am interested in hearing other people's thoughts.
I can see them at private family gatherings but because they have chosen not to be working royals, I really can’t see them on the balcony again. If the polls in the UK are correct, people would be furious about that. I cannot remember: has Andrew joined the family on the balcony since he stepped down (or back)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UglyAmerican View Post
I agree with all of this. They had control of the timing. If whatever they signed didn't allow them to control the timing of airing, they could have negotiated so it did. Oprah and CBS knew it was going to be a ratings bonanza, and supposedly H&M were doing it for free. CBS and Oprah wouldn't have said "We won't do it unless you give us sole control." And even if they did say that, H&M could have easily found another network or platform that would have given them more control. It wasn't a choice between "Either we talk to Oprah right now and CBS airs it when they want to air it, or we have to stay silent forever." They had plenty of options for when and how to air their grievances, and they chose to do it while Philip was hospitalized for what they had to know was his final illness. I said all along that their priority was getting it out there before he died.

Everything they complained about had happened at least a year in the past. The flower girl dress incident was in early 2018. The supposedly racist conversation would have been around the same time. Archie was born in May 2019, so whatever happened during Meghan's pregnancy was two years ago. Charles refusing to take Harry's calls and cutting him off financially probably happened when they posted their half-in half-out plan on their website more than a year ago. Waiting a few more months to tell the world about it wouldn't have been so terrible.
I agree with you. But I am curious about why you think they wanted to do the interview before he died. They could have waited several months or better yet, not done it at all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdm View Post
It must be special for Harry being back, on his own, in his old world, in the house that was intended for him and his starting family, after all that happened, for this sad occasion.
I’ve thought about this too. I cannot imagine being away from my home country for a year and then returning to my family after I’d publicly thrown them under the bus. I would think there would be a lot of emotions: nostalgia, regret, anger, sadness, maybe even guilt. Honestly, I would not want to be in Harry’s shoes.

Closed Thread