The Duke & Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 4: April-June 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I do hope that it was genuine, at least in part. Maybe there was an element of a show about it but hopefully that was only a part of it. I will say, though, that generally even the closest of families find funerals and the days leading up to them to be monumentally exhausting and I don’t imagine the RF is any different. If indeed they were putting on a show, which is tiring in itself, then they must all be unbelievably tired this evening. So, I hope it was, at least in part, genuine and not all just for PR purposes.

I hope so.

I would like to think two grown men could genuinely park their differences at the door for the funeral of a man they both loved and be cordial. And it not be just PR. They didn’t have to talk, of course, but if there’s ever a time to just set aside your problems....this would be one of them.

I never seriously thought it might be just PR until I read this thread. But- it’s possible. I would think the normal emotions of a family funeral, plus knowing you’re going to be filmed during such an emotional time would be extraordinarily exhausting all by itself. Forget trying to fake being polite for the press.

I do see what you’re saying and in the grand scheme of things the fact that she sent a wreath with specifically chosen flowers and a handwritten note isn’t of any real importance whatsoever. But the fact that all the details had to be made public, and at such an inappropriate moment, is just such a ridiculously selfish thing. Of great importance? No, not at all. But so cringey and in poor taste? Absolutely.

This is it! She just has to go too far and make it about her, and that's what turns a lot of people off her. Why doesn't someone tell her? If they do, why doesn't she listen? :bangin:

The wreath was from Meghan AND Harry. There was an explanation of what the flowers chosen for the wreath symbolised in Prince Philip’s life but Meghan didn’t disclose what the tribute was to Harry’s grandfather in her hand written note.

The wreath was from Meghan AND Harry. There was an explanation of what the flowers chosen for the wreath symbolised in Prince Philip’s life but Meghan didn’t disclose what the tribute was to Harry’s grandfather in her hand written note.
There were wreaths from many people in the chapel, yet only information about the Sussexes' one were disclosed. That's the issue, they could've gone with the BP spokesperson no comment policy, as it was a private, family matter :ermm: And simply don't go to press how thoughtful they were while picking the flowers and how Meghan handwritten the note herself.

I do hope that it was genuine, at least in part. Maybe there was an element of a show about it but hopefully that was only a part of it. I will say, though, that generally even the closest of families find funerals and the days leading up to them to be monumentally exhausting and I don’t imagine the RF is any different. If indeed they were putting on a show, which is tiring in itself, then they must all be unbelievably tired this evening. So, I hope it was, at least in part, genuine and not all just for PR purposes.

I suspect it was genuine because they both love their grandpa, and whatever their issues with each other, they weren’t ever going to make this day about them. There were reports beforehand saying all parties (Harry request?) had agreed to table their problems, but I’m not sure something like that was necessary. Also, no one knew they were going to walk back - it was Charles’ idea for the family to do that; therefore, how could it have been planned?

I couldn’t help wonder why the focus was ONLY on Harry’s return vis a vis William when obviously his relationship with his father was shaky as well. Granted, it’s probably less problematic because there is more hurt than anger, especially on Charles’ part. I’m not trying to make this a competition, at all. I badly hope that the brothers can start healing their relationship - for themselves, for their family. I can only imagine how heartbroken their father is for them. It just seems like the media only cares, even on this day, about a “sexy” story - Diana’s sons.

Well- I think it pretty much has to be her- or a joint decision by her and Harry. I just can’t see any other way. They are the ones who know why that arrangement was chosen. No one else’s floral arrangement details have been- or will be- publicized as I understand it right now.

To me- it’s not so much the difference in celebrity and royalty...it’s that this was the funeral of a beloved family member. I don’t think it’s appropriate to draw attention to yourself and your thoughtfulness and time it so that the maximum number of people hear it. It’s not about you. It was about him and his life.

As I said- if the entire family made a decision that they wanted to talk about the symbolism behind the flowers, that is one thing. Singling yourself out is something entirely different.

And I truly hate typing this. Or thinking this.
I agree with you both. Harry and/or Meghan and their PR folks do not seem to understand that announcing thIs today took the focus off Prince Philip and put them in the spotlight yet again, however temporarily. And since Harry is now out of the loop, perhaps he didn’t know that BP had said “no” to releasing details about the wreaths.
I would have rather heard about the flowers another time because the symbolism sounds lovely. But connecting to their wedding, Archie, and the handwritten note - too much.

:previous:

He was in the loop enough to arrange transportation from the airport, arrange to stay at Frogmore, and sort out processional and seating arrangements. I can give Meghan the benefit of the doubt for not seeing the problem here, but Harry would have known innately that if no one else issued a press release about this, he shouldn't, either.

Left to his own devices, I doubt Harry would have had any idea who did the flowers for their wedding reception, or for Archie's christening. Most men don't. I don't know if he ok'd the release or not, but those details make me think he wasn't the architect of it.

There’s this...among other tidbits

Much of the article details frostiness from the family towards Harry, but I do so hope this is true and does happen

Plans for a wake at Windsor Castle are understood to have been dropped, although a source said that Prince Charles, who was clearly emotional before and during the service, intended to spend some time with his younger son, perhaps taking him for a walk.

'There has been talk that Charles will walk around Windsor with Harry to look at some of the tributes and spend some time together,' the source said.

However, Harry is understood to be anxious to return to America to be with Meghan, who is thought to be seven months pregnant with their second child.

He could fly back to Los Angeles as early as today or tomorrow.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...e-Philips-funeral-writes-CAROLINE-GRAHAM.html

Video of the walk...

It wouldn’t surprise me one bit of Charles forged ahead to allow his sons to talk

Last edited by a moderator:
well they may talk, and be polite to each other, but its only a month since the interview that showed how alienated Harry is from his family. I hope that yes they could put aside their differences in public for the sake of Philp and the queen at such an emotional time.. but that does not mean that the relationship is likely to be restored to what it was. Too much has happened and Harry is now abroad permanently.. and has a new life. If he continues to engage with the American media in the way he did in March, relations will never be the same again.. if he does go on with his new life but does not any longer do interviews on private matters, things will probably slowly improve.
But certainly both of them were wrong last year to show their annoyance with each other, and Im sure that it was decided that at THIS occasion, they must be seen being polite....

Just saw on vipnews at Tv that Meghan leaked or said she is now forgiving the Royal family.
Is there any source to this?
Thanks.

oh, that´s so generous of her! I do hope they will not forgive HER so soon...

I am sure that its more to show some kind of decent unity in grief. Im sure teh queen doesn't want there to be any sign of coolness in public between her grandson and his brohter or the other members of the family...

I´m not sure if all members of this family care about what The Queen or the late Duke wanted...! Otherwise things like leaving roles as senior Royals without consulting her and other gaffes in the past would never had happened. At some point I wondered how much influence or authority The Queen had at all in this family..?! I think the idea of "HM is not amused" everybody obeying the sovereign is a myth these days...

I´m not sure if all members of this family care about what The Queen or the late Duke wanted...! Otherwise things like leaving roles as senior Royals without consulting her and other gaffes in the past would never had happened. At some point I wondered how much influence or authority The Queen had at all in this family..?! I think the idea of "HM is not amused" everybody obeying the sovereign is a myth these days...

Im sure they do, even Harry does. He is a mixed up young man, certainly but I doubt he is so heartless as to not care how his grandmother is feeling right now, having just lost her husband. He's certainly selfish and I think he and Meg were both so determined to leave that nothing would stop them... but that's their right to leave the RF if they want to.. albeit they did it badly.
but even last month when he was I think at his worst, he was a bit wary about attacking his queen and Philip so he did albeit belatedly, remember to say that it wasn't them who made the "racist remarks"...
Possibly it was due to selfish reasons that he did that, ie he was afraid that he' might look bad, even to the American public who didn't get the nuances, if he made it seem like his grandfather who was at hte end of his life, was saying racist things... or perhaps he was afraid that Granny who HAS tried to be fair to him, might turn against him.. but even if only for selfish reasons I think he would behave properly at the funeral and be seen talking to his brother...

Im sure they do, even Harry does. He is a mixed up young man, certainly but I doubt he is so heartless as to not care how his grandmother is feeling right now, having just lost her husband. He's certainly selfish and I think he and Meg were both so determined to leave that nothing would stop them... but that's their right to leave the RF if they want to.. albeit they did it badly.
but even last month when he was I think at his worst, he was a bit wary about attacking his queen and Philip so he did albeit belatedly, remember to say that it wasn't them who made the "racist remarks"...
Possibly it was due to selfish reasons that he did that, ie he was afraid that he' might look bad, even to the American public who didn't get the nuances, if he made it seem like his grandfather who was at hte end of his life, was saying racist things... or perhaps he was afraid that Granny who HAS tried to be fair to him, might turn against him.. but even if only for selfish reasons I think he would behave properly at the funeral and be seen talking to his brother...
But what kind of respect is this? It occurs to me as all fake. I´m not talking about not caring about someone´s feelings, but about respecting authority, someone, an institution standing above you. Respecting someone, especially your monarch or your "boss" is something you DO, not the image you want to create about it.
This couple´s behaviour, but also of some other family members, would have been unthinkable in the old days!

Last edited:
well they may talk, and be polite to each other, but its only a month since the interview that showed how alienated Harry is from his family. I hope that yes they could put aside their differences in public for the sake of Philp and the queen at such an emotional time.. but that does not mean that the relationship is likely to be restored to what it was. Too much has happened and Harry is now abroad permanently.. and has a new life. If he continues to engage with the American media in the way he did in March, relations will never be the same again.. if he does go on with his new life but does not any longer do interviews on private matters, things will probably slowly improve.
But certainly both of them were wrong last year to show their annoyance with each other, and Im sure that it was decided that at THIS occasion, they must be seen being polite....

I agree with this....but of course I never thought that everything would be hunky dory right away; I always thought that the best thing that could emerge from these days is that the family would lay the foundations for better days ahead. But, the “family” isn’t a monolith, it’s made up of different people, who have different relationships with Harry. I think W and H’s will take a long time to heal properly as there’s a lot of anger and mistrust there, and from W’s POV, Kate being dragged into it is inexcusable. Still, that doesn’t mean any improvements aren’t welcome, however small.

Charles and Harry’s relationship is at least as important to me, and I think that has a better chance of real improvement in the shorter term, even though I expect Charles will always be hurt. I hope the reports of his wanting to take Harry on a walk to show the tributes to Philip are true, and if so, that H takes that opportunity. He will regret it forever if he didn’t and something happened to his father.

But what kind of respect is this? It occurs all fake to me. Respecting someone, especially your monarch or your "boss" is something you DO, not the image you want to create about it.
This couple´s behaviour, but also of some other family members, would have been unthinkable in the old days!
I didnt say it was respect but I presume that he has enough affection for his grandmother to not want to upset her, at least when hei's in a calm mood.. so if he was told to make sure he was polite in public to his brother because it would upset his grandmother on the day of the funeral - he's not so monstrously selfish that he'd do the opposite. He only had to be seen saying a few wrods to William and I imaigine they could manage that.

Possibly it IS all done through selfishness, I dont know. I feel that Harry has shown his hidden depths in the past year and shown that he has a very dark angry bitter side to him... but possibly he has been wary that too much aggression to his queen isn't going to look good, or that if he upsets or angers her, she may be less likely to take his side or be sympathetic to him in any future discussions in the RF. Clearly he annoyed Charles very much, so he may well just feel that if he annoys Granny as well, he'll have no sympathisers left at all....
And of course there are things that would have been unthinkable in earlier years. Things change. It was considered unthinkable that Charles should get a divorce, no matter how unhappy his marriage was, but that convention changed. It would have been unthinkable years ago for Will to live with Kate before they got married, but it seems to me a good thing that that particular convention changed.

I agree with this....but of course I never thought that everything would be hunky dory right away; I always thought that the best thing that could emerge from these days is that the family would lay the foundations for better days ahead. But, the “family” isn’t a monolith, it’s made up of different people, who have different relationships with Harry. I think W and H’s will take a long time to heal properly as there’s a lot of anger and mistrust there, and from W’s POV, Kate being dragged into it is inexcusable. Still, that doesn’t mean any improvements aren’t welcome, however small.

Charles and Harry’s relationship is at least as important to me, and I think that has a better chance of real improvement in the shorter term, even though I expect Charles will always be hurt. I hope the reports of his wanting to take Harry on a walk to show the tributes to Philip are true, and if so, that H takes that opportunity. He will regret it forever if he didn’t and something happened to his father.
I don't rate Harry's self control very high. I think that he may be feeling a bit guilty about his outbursts in March now.. but its only a month ago.. and I doubt if the rest of the RF are likely to do more than be polite to him for some time to come. And I fear that If Harry is crossed he gets angry and loses any common sense he had.. Charles was an indulgent father.. but clearly Harry was so demanding last year that even he lost patience and Harry responded with that nasty interview. It probalby as well that he is living so far away, so that he wont be rubbing up against hs father...

Last edited by a moderator:
I didnt say it was respect but I presume that he has enough affection for his grandmother to not want to upset her, at least when hei's in a calm mood.. so if he was told to make sure he was polite in public to his brother because it would upset his grandmother on the day of the funeral - he's not so monstrously selfish that he'd do the opposite. He only had to be seen saying a few wrods to William and I imaigine they could manage that.

Possibly it IS all done through selfishness, I dont know. I feel that Harry has shown his hidden depths in the past year and shown that he has a very dark angry bitter side to him... but possibly he has been wary that too much aggression to his queen isn't going to look good, or that if he upsets or angers her, she may be less likely to take his side or be sympathetic to him in any future discussions in the RF. Clearly he annoyed Charles very much, so he may well just feel that if he annoys Granny as well, he'll have no sympathisers left at all....
And of course there are things that would have been unthinkable in earlier years. Things change. It was considered unthinkable that Charles should get a divorce, no matter how unhappy his marriage was, but that convention changed. It would have been unthinkable years ago for Will to live with Kate before they got married, but it seems to me a good thing that that particular convention changed.

Well, I was talking about RESPECT in my 1st post, not personal "feelings". Of course I realise that conventions change, some for the worse IMO, but often, also by the tabloid press, there is an image created that "the sovereign" is a person, members of the RF listen to and is respected as some sort of authority. I was just doubting that this was still the case.

Last edited:
I had the same reaction as Osipi though, and I would suspect most observers of the funeral on TV and those who read articles about the funeral felt the same. For me it was ‘Oh, Meghan sent a funeral wreath with some flowers that symbolised Prince Philip’s past. That’s nice.’

Whether Meghan sent a wreath is not important in the context of the day IMO, and here in Australia on Sunday morning no-one I know is talking about it though many other parts of the funeral have been. In my view these sort of details tend to be discussed on forums such as this but not by the general public at large.

Im in aus and it (the wreath) is all over the news, incl in some of the rolling coverage. I was a bit annoyed as i saw a headline mentioning meghan and i deliberately avoided the article but the same information(i presume) was then in the main article re the funeral.

However it got out it does seem odd that there were soo many details. It is possible it was m and hs us pr person trying to be helpful but it is a shame.

Well, I was talking about RESPECT in my 1st post, not personal "feelings". Of course I realise that conventions change, some for the worse IMO, but often, also by the tabloid press, there is an image created that "the sovereign" is a person, members of the RF listen to and is respected as some sort of authority. I was just doubting that this was still the case.

I would say Harry's feelings are mixed. He probably was brought up with "this is your queen and your granny" and has some respect for her.. but there could be a lot of selfish "I'd better propitiate Granny because Dads angry wth me."
And I think that the members of the RF do respect the queen but she IS very elderly and has led a sheltered life in many ways so they may not always feel that she gets things right.. and they are adults who have their own opinions and beliefs. I think its possible to respect her and see her good points yet still disagree at times and feel that one has to go one's own way, in some tings/ I think that Charles knew the queen didn't want him to divorce, and he DID try for several years to keep up a façade of a marriage in the old fashioned way.. but he reached a point where he felt that he could not go on with a broken unhappy marriage and that while he wanted to try and obey the queen, his affiarr had become public, so had Di's affairs and he wanted out of the marriage. I think that the Queen came to agree with him on that...and realised that while a divorce was unprecedented, it was the only way forward.

Very good points! Yeah, I can’t see many men being aware of all these details about the wreath. :D

Last edited:
this is just my opinion but I don't think other members of the family would become involved, it is between Charles William and Harry. Even if they are not happy with Harry they will just carry on, he is going back to America so no point in getting involved however annoyed they may be.

Where as he really does need to build bridges with his brother and father, there are young children in the family and it would be nice if there could be a relationship going forward.

Did Harry leave for LA or will he stay for his granny's birthday?

this is just my opinion but I don't think other members of the family would become involved, it is between Charles William and Harry. Even if they are not happy with Harry they will just carry on, he is going back to America so no point in getting involved however annoyed they may be.

Where as he really does need to build bridges with his brother and father, there are young children in the family and it would be nice if there could be a relationship going forward.

I think that’s true. It’s not insignificant if the family as a whole are angry with Harry, but they would be so on behalf of HM and the BRF overall. It’s Charles and William whose personal relationships with Harry matter.

I think that’s true. It’s not insignificant if the family as a whole are angry with Harry, but they would be so on behalf of HM and the BRF overall. It’s Charles and William whose personal relationships with Harry matter.
I'd say that most of the RF are annoyed iwht him, because of the things he siad which due to their being so vague, could apply ot almost anyone in the RF.. so he was leaving them all open to criticism...

Very good points! Yeah, I can’t see many men being aware of all these details about the wreath. [emoji3]
Not sure if the details were revealed. It doesn't take a genius to identify flowers. If they ID the right flowers. It wouldn't be the first time a big hoopla was made over information that turned out to be false!

Not sure if the details were revealed. It doesn't take a genius to identify flowers. If they ID the right flowers. It wouldn't be the first time a big hoopla was made over information that turned out to be false!
why would anyone care to talk about what flowers there were or where they came from... there were lots of wreath and BP didn't say what flowers were involved or who arranged them. They were just private....

why would anyone care to talk about what flowers there were or where they came from... there were lots of wreath and BP didn't say what flowers were involved or who arranged them. They were just private....
Yes. It is a bit odd that there's only media coverage of one that was displayed in St. George's Chapel among the others from the family. As I recall that information was shared even before the service had begun.

I'd say that most of the RF are annoyed iwht him, because of the things he siad which due to their being so vague, could apply ot almost anyone in the RF.. so he was leaving them all open to criticism...

You are right they probably all are annoyed with him, but I just wondered if they thought it worth causing a fuss at their fathers/ grandfathers funeral, he will be away soon anyway.

I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall when Anne came face to face with him.

You are right they probably all are annoyed with him, but I just wondered if they thought it worth causing a fuss at their fathers/ grandfathers funeral, he will be away soon anyway.

I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall when Anne came face to face with him.

At another time their meeting would have been interesting, but she probably just ignored him and I doubt if he made any attempt to engage her.

No of course they wont make a fuss. They know the tabloids have been watching to see how Harry got on esp with William and they're used to keeping up a front in public.. and even if H is there for another few days I don't think they'll want to rehash things with him privately right now. They will be civil but wary....and I suspect they'll hope he goes away soon....

Yes. It is a bit odd that there's only media coverage of one that was displayed in St. George's Chapel among the others from the family. As I recall that information was shared even before the service had begun.

The media are reporting it as they were given the info by the Sussex PR team. If BP had released details of the other flowers and who gave them then they probably would have reported on those but the other details were kept private and personal. Of course the Sussexes in general get coverage because they get a lot of clicks from all sides, especially post Interview.

The wreath is lovely and meaningful but I'm sure they all were but we didn't read about Lady Louise for example choosing her grandfather's favourite flowers from her own garden or how she and her grandfather had the closest bond out of all her family and whatever else Gayle and Scobie talked about on CBS as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom