The Duke & Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 4: April-June 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The truth probably lies somewhere in the middle like most stories with no witnesses. It could be both of them cried after that but was originally played as "Meghan made Kate cry" for drama and gossip by the tabloids.

I imagine Meghan thought Catherine would be more supportive or understanding at that moment as she pretty much the only other person who knows what it likes to marry in The Royal Family and the stress of planning a wedding that is watched by millions. Catherine had just given birth and Meghan was planning a Royal wedding. No doubt both were very stressed out for different reasons and all came to a head.

Catherine obviously knew they had to follow protocol and knew there were strict rules which may be what she trying to explain.

Meghan did not grow up in the U.K and with a royal family.

Whatever the argument, whomever the offended or the offender, I am most astounded that anyone would state - to millions of people in a television interview - anything that would show negative light on any member of their family.
That might seem one sided but it just observes the action taken by Harry and Meghan.
That is the worst breach of trust and now forever a hurdle in the future relationship between formerly very close family members.

Who jeopardizes the family of one's children? Only people who see family as worthless.

Whatever the argument, whomever the offended or the offender, I am most astounded that anyone would state - to millions of people in a television interview - anything that would show negative light on any member of their family.
That might seem one sided but it just observes the action taken by Harry and Meghan.
That is the worst breach of trust and now forever a hurdle in the future relationship between formerly very close family members.

Who jeopardizes the family of one's children? Only people who see family as worthless.

Agree especially as the Royal Family never replies ott these stories or anything that is written about them. Very rarely do they ever. It especially put The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge in a tough place who no doubt wanted to spend but probably couldn't. Harry and Meghan knew they wouldn't be able to respond

Why couldn’t it be exactly that?

Why? ...If it was "just" a matter of notifying Meghan of the protocol, Meghan could then have said "thank you for notifying me but I'm still gonna go with no tights". And then there wouldn't have been an issue. As I see it, it's simply a non-issue unless they both maintain two different things.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO, the half in and half out was what everyone assumes it was— want my cake and eat it too. It was using their status as senior royals to make $$$. As everyone knows celebrity is fleeting but being a senior member of the RF is for life. Maybe this was from a desire to make enough money so that Harry wouldn’t have to lower himself (eventually) to being funded by King William.

I seriously believe the interview was a result of frustration and desperation. With them getting no/limited monies from the RF, they needed to pay their bills. While the contracts they’ve landed are lucrative, they need to do significant hard work to see that money. In the meantime, not only do they have their own bills to pay but they have to shell out monies to produce the content needed to make money from their deals. COVID-19 put a damper on the easier money making gigs: speeches and other paid appearances. So, with money going out like crazy and potentially not enough coming in.....

With their half in-half out idea they’d assumed that the RF would fund their international jet setting lifestyle and any money they made would fully be an addition to their bank balance. Now with an expensive lifestyle to fund, this “addition” is significantly reduced, plus with no Royal duties they have to work hard to keep their name in the press— which they need to attract more money making opportunities.

I suspect the half-in/half-out proposal was actually based on Harry's reluctance to completely give up his duties. Harry has worked hard over the years and is very committed to his charities and his military appointments. I think if they had been allowed to go part-time, Harry would have been able to do things like lay wreaths and work for veterans. Meghan would have joined him when she wanted to do so and occasionally have done some solo engagements. But they would have been out of the day-to-day restrictions of the palace and it would have been easier to control their media narrative.

The half-in/half-out also would have given them a better argument for taxpayer funded security. I have no idea how much the cost is but I've read estimates that security and maintenance for that large mansion may be as much as $5 million per year. If that is true, they will need constant stream of revenue to keep up their lifestyle. I think most of the other people in that area are billionaires, so it will be hard to keep up with the Joneses.

If the story is true, I somehow doubt it was "just" a case of Kate notifying Meghan of the protocol in place ;) In that case, it simply wouldn't have been "a story" at all.

It wouldn’t overly stun me if it didn’t take much at all for Meghan to decide she wasn’t being supported and get upset. I think it could have been just that simple. Catherine said- this isn’t how it’s done...and Meghan gets upset. Catherine didn’t just smile and nod with what she’d just said. In her defense- I am able to say that phrase and Meghan in the same sentence- weddings are stressful period, hers had the additional daddy drama and the pressure of a world wide audience.

It's a matter of perception indeed. Given how I get bruises and blood unless my sandals are very open, no heels and front at all, you can be sure that had it been my daughter, she would have worn tights with these shoes, protocol or not. Am I the only person who never wears this type of shoes without something separating the skin? I wouldn't have been supportive at all if the bride had gone on about the day being warm and all, just because she doesn't get blisters and doesn't have any idea how unpleasant it is.

I would like to think that shoes for a royal wedding would be made so comfortable that there would not be any risk of blisters or any other such damage. They might even be lined with soft, absorbent, spongy material. Otherwise it would, IMO, be cruel to insist the children did not wear tights or socks with their shoes on a hot day. I have never been able to stand wearing closed shoes without stockings on a hot day because I get blisters from the rubbing, made worse because my feet sweat in the heat and the shoes stick to my feet. Very uncomfortable! I would like to think someone would have explained that wearing tights is for the children's comfort, not just protocol. If Meghan was unreasonable about it, Kate could have withdrawn Charlotte from the wedding party; that would have gotten attention! But, of course, we don't know what the dispute was really about.

The “no one helped me or told me how things work” is utter BS. Samantha Cohen, The Queen’s former assistant private secretary was assigned to Meghan for protocol lessons. Ms. Cohen had been with the RF for 17ish years and was someone who knew how things work. That claim of Meghan’s alone causes me to doubt the truth of other things she says. Gosh, folks, she really blew it! I had such high hopes when she came on the scene: articulate, independent,a breath of fresh air. It is so very sad that it ended up in such a hot mess.:ohmy:

IMO it was Meghan’s wedding and it was her decision as to whether her little bridesmaids wore tights or not on a very hot day, not the duty of the mother of one of those bridesmaids to tell her what was supposedly protocol or not. Comfort in the heat should surely come before whatever has been done at some traditional weddings for sixty odd years. The little girls looked fine.

Having said that, I have read that the crying of one or the other was because Charlotte’s dress didn’t fit properly. If that was true then the obligation is on the dressmaker who made the outfit to make sure it fits by ensuring there are previous fittings before the wedding. That sort of thing is not the bride’s responsibility.
I respectfully disagree about the tights. While I personally don’t really care about tights one way or the other, the whole point is this is an example of Meghan not following protocol and doing things “by the book” in this very strict institution that believes in going “by the book.” I believe that unfortunately, Meghan balked at a lot of these kinds of things which is “just not done.” I think she thought she could do things her way (she was the bride, after all) but that’s not how the game is played. I fully believe that she could have been that breath of fresh air and maybe helped modernize some things, but the new kid on the block doesn’t call the shots, has to be patient, and EARN this privilege in due time. IMO she either didn’t understand that or didn’t have the patience for it. :sad:

I respectfully disagree about the tights. While I personally don’t really care about tights one way or the other, the whole point is this is an example of Meghan not following protocol and doing things “by the book” in this very strict institution that believes in going “by the book.” I believe that unfortunately, Meghan balked at a lot of these kinds of things which is “just not done.” I think she thought she could do things her way (she was the bride, after all) but that’s not how the game is played. I fully believe that she could have been that breath of fresh air and maybe helped modernize some things, but the new kid on the block doesn’t call the shots, has to be patient, and EARN this privilege in due time. IMO she either didn’t understand that or didn’t have the patience for it. :sad:

I have to admit I have always rather admired Meghan's independent streak and her tendency to rebel against this sort of protocol. :D When protocol seems ridiculous and only being observed because it has always been done that way, I have been known to question and ignore it, too. And wearing or not wearing stockings or hats or gloves or nail-polish definitely fall into the category of things I would be inclined to rebel against, especially on my own wedding day. I also think that if it really was important for the children to wear tights for some sort of "protocol" reason, then I think someone other than the mother of one of those children should have been the one to explain the reasons to Meghan and made it clear this is something she would have to go along with, if indeed that was the case.

:previous:can you believe someone saying something like that on television? Complaining about your sister in law or anyone in the run up to your wedding? I never really paid attention to that story when it came because it just seemed like tabloid fodder. But to talk about it years later on tv? She must have an enemies list to rival Richard Nixon’s.

Yes. The events surrounding the bridesmaids’ dresses happened years before the Oprah interview. The bone of contention is over which woman was provoked to tears over an item of children’s clothing. This is the sort of nonsense that happens in the stressful run up to big family events like weddings, usually followed quickly by embarrassment on the part of the adults who were transiently worked up by such silliness, and then forgotten, (or even laughed about).

A reasonable person does not carry this around for years afterward. Oh, the media got it wrong and said Meghan made Kate cry and not the other way around? Who cares? Buckingham Palace decided not to wade into the murky waters of a disagreement over a preschooler’s tights, (or lack thereof)? Can’t say that I blame them.

And just like Meghan experienced hell on earth while Kate apparently only got “rudeness” from the press, the many unsubstantiated, unflattering/catty stories that have been printed about Kate and that received no comment from TRF were conveniently forgotten.

Yes. The events surrounding the bridesmaids’ dresses happened years before the Oprah interview. The bone of contention is over which woman was provoked to tears over an item of children’s clothing. This is the sort of nonsense that happens in the stressful run up to big family events like weddings, usually followed quickly by embarrassment on the part of the adults who were transiently worked up by such silliness, and then forgotten, (or even laughed about).

A reasonable person does not carry this around for years afterward. Oh, the media got it wrong and said Meghan made Kate cry and not the other way around? Who cares? Buckingham Palace decided not to wade into the murky waters of a disagreement over a preschooler’s tights, (or lack thereof)? Can’t say that I blame them.

And just like Meghan experienced hell on earth while Kate apparently only got “rudeness” from the press, the many unsubstantiated, unflattering/catty stories that have been printed about Kate and that received no comment from TRF were conveniently forgotten.

I really don't care about who made whom cry for this worthless reason. I think it's only a family matter. A successful, mature and self-created woman, like Meghan, should not have paid attention to it and should never mention it. A reasonable woman should passed by it. Meghan seemed very petty to my eyes. :sad:

Honestly, this may be a matter of perception. People like to bang on about how no one helped Meghan, no one told her about protocols or how things were done, etc. Kate would certainly know after all these years if it’s protocol for flower girls to wear tights (they do seem to always wear them based on photos of other royal weddings) and perhaps she believed she was helping Meghan by letting her know in case she didn’t. Most people wouldn’t want to put a foot wrong on their wedding day when marrying into the BRF in a place as historic as St. George’s Chapel. Had I been Meghan, if that really was what occurred, I can honestly say I’d have seen that as someone trying to help me become acquainted with protocol, fit in, etc.
I think it depends on how one defines "support" - if it's "they really want to help me so they tell me when I'm doing something wrong" or "they are so nice to me and agree with me all the time". And from everything we know and found out about Meghan, I'm pretty damn certain which kind of support she wanted to get not only from Catherine, but the BRF as a whole.

But honestly, it was a difficult time for both Meghan and Catherine, emotional, hormonal, all of the above. It should have been forgotten or laughed about after the wedding, not dragged into a worldwide interview a couple years later.
Yes, and that includes the Sussexes, especially Meghan, who was accused by the media of saying and doing multiple things every week, most of which proved later to be false.
To be fair Meghan also said to the media a lot of things, which proved later to be false. Including dragging Archbishop of Cantebury (and the whole CofE) through the mud. I wonder if they still get the calls about "intimate wedding ceremonies in a garden" :lol:

If someone lies once, then twice, and about things that are easily proven as untrue - it's difficult then to take words of that person as true no matter what circumstances. Because people are always going to be left wondering "aren't they lying about that too"?

I think it depends on how one defines "support" - if it's "they really want to help me so they tell me when I'm doing something wrong" or "they are so nice to me and agree with me all the time". And from everything we know and found out about Meghan, I'm pretty damn certain which kind of support she wanted to get not only from Catherine, but the BRF as a whole.

But honestly, it was a difficult time for both Meghan and Catherine, emotional, hormonal, all of the above. It should have been forgotten or laughed about after the wedding, not dragged into a worldwide interview a couple years later.

To be fair Meghan also said to the media a lot of things, which proved later to be false. Including dragging Archbishop of Cantebury (and the whole CofE) through the mud. I wonder if they still get the calls about "intimate wedding ceremonies in a garden" :lol:

If someone lies once, then twice, and about things that are easily proven as untrue - it's difficult then to take words of that person as true no matter what circumstances. Because people are always going to be left wondering "aren't they lying about that too"?

To be fair, if it was meant to be forgotten or laughed about, it should never have made it into the press in the first place. I can understand Meghan's need to set things straight, but she should have been more adult and diplomatic about it. The "No no no... Kate made me cry" sounded so kindergarten.

From the “interview “

Meghan: A few days before the wedding, she was upset about something pertaining — yes, the issue was correct — about flower-girl dresses, and it made me cry, and it really hurt my feelings. And I thought, in the context of everything else that was going on in those days leading to the wedding, that it didn’t make sense to not be just doing whatever everyone else was doing, which was trying to be supportive, knowing what was going on with my dad and whatnot.

I remember being taken aback when I heard how Meghan framed this: there was seemingly genuine surprise that anyone would disagree with what she wanted - her definition of “support.” And that her feelings were the most important. I can understand why staff felt they were walking on eggshells.:ermm:

Reactions: Fem
I wouldn’t have been able to stomach the so called interview but this section of the transcript is even worse than I imagined. The quote you refer to seems to implicate Kate AND the entire family. Of course that is minus the body language etc.

You’re right. It’s actually worse than I remembered. She’s saying nothing was as it appeared- that seems to be a nasty swipe at the entire family. Things looked nice....but they weren’t.

That part of the interview was weird. She was perfectly capable of being complimentary about HM directly. Meghan’s not a fool. But Oprah twice tried to get her to specifically talk about Catherine. She deflected. Quite telling IMO.

I can totally see Kate making a remark about the dresses and Meghan bursting into tears as it was an emotional time in her life (or she was acting and being overly dramatic, who knows). And Kate apologizing, because it was a nice thing to do, even if she didn't feel remorseful.

Bringing it up in the interview and not explaining what exactly happened was tactless. As the enitre interview was...

I can totally see Kate making a remark about the dresses and Meghan bursting into tears as it was an emotional time in her life (or she was acting and being overly dramatic, who knows). And Kate apologizing, because it was a nice thing to do, even if she didn't feel remorseful.

Bringing it up in the interview and not explaining what exactly happened was tactless. As the enitre interview was...

I think that there is a very definite coolness of relations between Kate & William, and Meghan so while she may not feel very good about any of the RF, she did possibly have more arguments or estrangement with the 2 of them...

I tend to think that much of the emotions Harry and Meghan have experienced are common to the life changes they were going through. And, IMO, assigned motives to other people based on perspectives they already held. Moving to a new country/culture, starting a new job, entering a new family, entering an "intact" social group, getting married and starting a family are all experiences each and of themselves which bring stress, feelings of isolation and disorientation. To endure all of this under the spotlight so difficult and, no doubt, makes it all more complicated.

I just wish that Meghan had either had someone around her or listened to someone who tried to help her sort all of this out. Instead, and I believe Harry contributed greatly to this, she appears to have chosen to assign blame and incredulous intent to the actions of others. Yes, it is hard for anyone "fitting in" when they start a new job or enter a new family. Conflict is not unusual amongst a wedding party...ask any clergyman about that! Having a new baby is an isolating experience for most new moms. Good companies pay attention to and provide support for ex-pats precisely because the adjustment to a new culture is so stressful. Were the royals as attentive to all of this as they should have been? Maybe, maybe not. But I can say that many women have been through all of these difficult experiences with no one paying attention or providing "support." That does not make it right but it does make it unfair to cast such a shadow on your husband's family and/or to suggest that they need to re-invent their institution because you had such a difficult experience.

On a completely shallow note, I would also like to say that Meghan should have listened to Kate about the stockings. Looking back at the pictures, no stockings with such beautiful dresses does not look right.

I have to admit I have always rather admired Meghan's independent streak and her tendency to rebel against this sort of protocol. :D When protocol seems ridiculous and only being observed because it has always been done that way, I have been known to question and ignore it, too. And wearing or not wearing stockings or hats or gloves or nail-polish definitely fall into the category of things I would be inclined to rebel against, especially on my own wedding day. I also think that if it really was important for the children to wear tights for some sort of "protocol" reason, then I think someone other than the mother of one of those children should have been the one to explain the reasons to Meghan and made it clear this is something she would have to go along with, if indeed that was the case.

I can appreciate that as I like to push boundaries myself. But I think you would know when it may not be appropriate to do so. I don't flaunt tradition when I go to another country. I wear veils in Islamic countries even though I think it is demeaning and outdated. I but I show respect for their beliefs and traditions by conforming.

Meghan married into a thousand year old institution that values tradition and conformity. The trick is to know what boundaries to push. I doubt most British people cared about the color of her nail polish. But refusing to wear a hat when she was with the Queen struck some people as insulting and arrogant. She was effectively signaling that this tradition was ridiculous and she was so important that she didn't care.

That was her choice, but she shouldn't have been surprised when she was criticized. The more often she flaunted tradition, the more criticism she got and it became cumulative until the media became hostile.

She was effectively fighting the British establishment over things like wearing a hat. I don't think it was worth it.

I can appreciate that as I like to push boundaries myself. But I think you would know when it may not be appropriate to do so. I don't flaunt tradition when I go to another country. I wear veils in Islamic countries even though I think it is demeaning and outdated. I but I show respect for their beliefs and traditions by conforming.

Meghan married into a thousand year old institution that values tradition and conformity. The trick is to know what boundaries to push. I doubt most British people cared about the color of her nail polish. But refusing to wear a hat when she was with the Queen struck some people as insulting and arrogant. She was effectively signaling that this tradition was ridiculous and she was so important that she didn't care.

That was her choice, but she shouldn't have been surprised when she was criticized. The more often she flaunted tradition, the more criticism she got and it became cumulative until the media became hostile.

She was effectively fighting the British establishment over things like wearing a hat. I don't think it was worth it.

This is really, really well said. It's one thing to not conform to protocol or tradition when it's something like a nail polish color. Honestly, no one cares. We all have our own opinions about what looks classy and what doesn't but in the end, no one gives a fig about it. It's another thing entirely to flaunt every protocol and tradition just purely for the sake of saying you did. That's petulant, arrogant, and incredibly condescending. And this is the mistake that Meghan made. It would be rude to flaunt every tradition that any family has. When that family is the 1000 year old BRF, it's even worse because the whole nation and the world are watching and if you're thought to disrespect the much loved and valued Queen, you look like a spoiled child who believes she is much more important and transformative than she really is. Small things like nail polish colors, whatever. Bigger things like wedding traditions/protocols, dress codes when appearing with HM, christening traditions like announcing the names of the godparents, etc....those sorts of things just came across as refusing to do so just because she could and "no one could make her" and that's a really arrogant and disrespectful look.

This is really, really well said. It's one thing to not conform to protocol or tradition when it's something like a nail polish color. Honestly, no one cares. We all have our own opinions about what looks classy and what doesn't but in the end, no one gives a fig about it. It's another thing entirely to flaunt every protocol and tradition just purely for the sake of saying you did. That's petulant, arrogant, and incredibly condescending. And this is the mistake that Meghan made. It would be rude to flaunt every tradition that any family has. When that family is the 1000 year old BRF, it's even worse because the whole nation and the world are watching and if you're thought to disrespect the much loved and valued Queen, you look like a spoiled child who believes she is much more important and transformative than she really is. Small things like nail polish colors, whatever. Bigger things like wedding traditions/protocols, dress codes when appearing with HM, christening traditions like announcing the names of the godparents, etc....those sorts of things just came across as refusing to do so just because she could and "no one could make her" and that's a really arrogant and disrespectful look.

By the way, at Zara Tindall's wedding, her flower girls did not wear stockings either, and she was also appearing with HM.

It was said Meghan wanted to revolutionize the Monarchy, bring it into the 21st century. Whether she said this or not, I don’t know, but I absolutely believe it to be true.....and, it wasn’t her place. It’s not her country, it’s not her institution - this isn’t like writing to Proctor and Gamble when she was a young girl in the hopes they’d change their commercials. The Monarchy has been around for 1000 years, and it’s built on tradition. She doesn’t have to like it, but if she was going to CHOOSE to marry into it, then she needed to accept it.

[.....]

Last edited:
[.....]

It is the Sussex thread and to be honest I am enjoying reading the posts, as it has become a pleasant conversation, with different slants which is always interesting.
There were times when emotion took over the threads,

In the early days of Meghan I was one of the posters who criticised her for failing to follow protocol with regards, nail polish, hats etc. not because I think a hat or the colour of nail varnish is so important but it was so important to Meghan that she did things her way. Our monarch of nearly 70 years, also from a different generation, was asking her to do things a certain way and she refused. That bothered me.
I am sure when it is time for Charles he will not have a problem with nail varnish or hats,
I still believe she thought she was Diana mark 2,

Last edited:
By the way, at Zara Tindall's wedding, her flower girls did not wear stockings either, and she was also appearing with HM.

I understand the point but Zara Tindall is not a working royal or even an HRH. Meghan was officially representing the Queen - there is a difference.

Perhaps it would have been easier if Meghan had tried her adopted country's traditions before rejecting them.

When in Rome, do as the Romans do. This kind of fits when it comes to marrying into a royal family that is huge on protocol. When someone hires into a established corporation, they agree to do as the corporation lays out in its standard operation procedures. The monarchy and it's "Firm" is no different. You work for them and you follow their rules and guidelines. You don't try and step in as CEO and make CEO decisions in the first year you're hired in.

The only thing that the whole incident and rehashing of the "cry" scenario is that it tells me that Meghan can and does hold a grudge instead of letting it go. Someone please check the video again and see if that black and white dress she wore for interview had grudge hairs all over it? Grudges shed horribly, y'know. :D

I think it's perfectly valid to question their decisions regarding, say, Archie's christening but to pretend that it's hugely disrespectful to the institution itself for Meghan to decide that her little bridesmaids shouldn't wear tights in a warm chapel or to wear the wrong :)blink:) colour nail polish is just absurd.

If the monarchy's "protocol and tradition" is built around stockings and a special selection of nail polish colours, I'd say it's the monarchy that has a problem, not the people who have "the audacity" not to conform to such middle age-ish expectations.

I think it's perfectly valid to question their decisions regarding, say, Archie's christening but to pretend that it's hugely disrespectful to the institution itself for Meghan to decide that her little bridesmaids shouldn't wear tights in a warm chapel or to wear the wrong :)blink:) colour nail polish is just absurd.

If the monarchy's "protocol and tradition" is built around stockings and a special selection of nail polish colours, I'd say it's the monarchy that has a problem, not the people who have "the audacity" not to conform to such middle age-ish expectations.

The whole issue of royal protocol is way overblown by the press. I suspect that the Queen couldn't care less about stockings and nail polish.

I saw it as being disrespectful to the queen, not the institution, you are right hats and nail varnish are not that important but obviously important enough to Meghan that she would disrespect the queens request.

:previous: Are we sure the Queen actually felt disrespected and that people don't just feel disrespected on her behalf?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom