The Duke & Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 4: April-June 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Given his very pregnant wife and small child in Cali why would anyone be surprised that he’d prefer to leave right after the funeral?

To me, I would think it would be important for Harry to spend even just a few days with his family, who he hasn’t seen in a year and who he likely won’t see for a long time. If he cares about his relationships with them, I don’t think another 2 or 3 days will kill him. That’s just how I see it.

I wonder whether there might be a buffet meal for the guests after the funeral or whether that’s out due to Covid?

And if everyone has to remain in their bubbles due to Covid regulations surely there wouldn’t be any visiting between households for Harry or any of his relatives to speak to each other face to face anyway.

To me, I would think it would be important for Harry to spend even just a few days with his family, who he hasn’t seen in a year and who he likely won’t see for a long time. If he cares about his relationships with them, I don’t think another 2 or 3 days will kill him. That’s just how I see it.

I think many of us will have different views on this, and that's fine. I can understand Harry giving priority to his own family - the one he chose and created and where his future lies: his wife and children - not his brother and father and grandmother. His wife is heavily pregnant at home with their young son and I see it as perfectly natural that he would want to get home to them as soon as possible.

Given his very pregnant wife and small child in Cali why would anyone be surprised that he’d prefer to leave right after the funeral?

Meghan is not due until summer, and fathers sometimes do go away on a business trip for up to two weeks, I am sure she has help and Doria is very close.

It really depends on when Meghan is due. She said "summer," which is far enough away that an extra day or two really shouldn't matter. But if she's actually due next week, that would change things. I just don't understand the urgent need to get back to the people he lives with, at the expense of spending any time with relatives he hasn't seen in over a year and may (in his grandmother's case) never get the chance to see again. He's talked about how he regrets being eager to get off the phone with his mother in what turned out to be their last phone call because he wanted to go outside and play. At that time, he was a child, and her death was completely unexpected. But he's an adult now, and he knows his grandmother is 95 and has just lost her husband of 73 years. Nothing he does would surprise me at this point, but if he jets right back home Saturday night and then the baby isn't born until mid-May or later, I think that's a different choice than the one most people would have made.

Now I'm wondering if they didn't purposely misstate the due date for privacy reasons. That's their prerogative, of course, but there are practical consequences. One of them is that when you behave in a way that makes perfect sense for a near-full-term pregnancy but would be unreasonable at six months along, and everyone thinks you're at six or seven months because that's what you chose to tell everyone, people are going to think you're behaving badly even if you really aren't because you're nearly full-term.

Last edited by a moderator:
How exactly is are Harry and Meghan behaving badly with this pregnancy? They don’t owe anyone anything. They said she is due in the summer. How one interprets that is on them. Harry going back home immediately after the funeral is hardly a bad thing nor is staying a few days. He will do what is right for him.

I think many of us will have different views on this, and that's fine. I can understand Harry giving priority to his own family - the one he chose and created and where his future lies: his wife and children - not his brother and father and grandmother. His wife is heavily pregnant at home with their young son and I see it as perfectly natural that he would want to get home to them as soon as possible.

So basically reject his family? Because they still are his family...I’m not suggesting he stay a month, but from my POV, that’s an awfully cold attitude to take to people you supposedly love. If he could see his family more often, if there weren’t a rift that could used at least the beginning of healing, it wouldn’t be as big of a deal. The idea that your father, brother, grandmother, etc.. are no longer of any import because you have your own family ...I admit, I can’t wrap my head around it.

How exactly is are Harry and Meghan behaving badly with this pregnancy? They don’t owe anyone anything. They said she is due in the summer. How one interprets that is on them. Harry going back home immediately after the funeral is hardly a bad thing nor is staying a few days. He will do what is right for him.

You said previously that you hope the family can heal at some point. Don’t you think it’s worth spending a little time with your family to try and lay the foundation of a new beginning? He’s here, why not?

I know you love Harry, but it’s mind boggling that you think anyone who believes he should stay a few more days is suggesting something crazy, out of this world.

So basically reject his family? Because they still are his family...I’m not suggesting he stay a month, but from my POV, that’s an awfully cold attitude to take to people you supposedly love. If he could see his family more often, if there weren’t a rift that could used at least the beginning of healing, it wouldn’t be as big of a deal. The idea that your father, brother, grandmother, etc.. are no longer of any import because you have your own family ...I admit, I can’t wrap my head around it.

...those people are not children, they are adults with their own families whose been established for years now. Harry just started his and people wants him to ignore them and priorities the royal household...?

I think, because of the bubble restrictions, Harry will catch a flight home as soon as he can. Either late Saturday or Sunday. Perhaps anything with the family can be put on the back burner until Harry possibly returns to the UK at the end of June to be there for the unveiling of Diana's statue. Maybe not. Depends on when his second child is born.

After the funeral Saturday, I think most family members will experience a sense of air being let out of a balloon as the funeral process has been completed and there's a sense of closure. To me, its not the time to worry about family relationships and disagreements and try to mend fences. If it happens that Harry does stay, that's great but I don't really think he will.

If it hadn’t been for this pandemic, preventing regular flights across the pond, we don’t know whether things would have developed in the way that they seem to have. Harry might well have been back half a dozen times by now for varied reasons and seen and spoken to his family face to face.

However, Covid has changed many things and even if Harry stayed an extra week there’s no guarantee, with the household bubbles and other regulations that are in place that he would be able to go to CH or Highgrove to see his father and stepmother or to Anmer to meet with his brother and his family.

Last edited:

But with the current Covid restrictions in Britain, I don't think he'd be able to meet with any of them in person, except perhaps outdoors?

It's not like the US where all of the lockdowns are, in essence, merely advisory, save for the limitations on certain business sectors. I'm in Oregon, one of the more restrictive states and even during Christmas, almost our entire family gathered at my parents house for 3-4 days (9 adults & 1 6-mo old, from 4 different households), in spite of our governor's guidance to the contrary.

I don't have a problem with Harry heading back home shortly after the funeral. It would be different if things were looser in the UK, like they are in the US, but I just don't see how Harry can meet with anyone face-to-face right now, especially if it's true that he's at Frogmore Cottage since we know that Eugenie & Jack are also there. The assumption would be that the Brooksbanks are sharing a support/family bubble with the Yorks, which would leave Harry, if he's in the same household at the moment, as part of that bubble, not a Cambridge or Wales support/family bubble.

Last edited:

For what? What will that accomplish at this point?... Now is hardly the time to address anything, Harry needs to take his butt right back to the family he just started, everything else can wait.

I'm not suggesting that Harry does not consider his brother, father and grandmother are of any import, but family dynamics can change when people have their own spouses and even more when they have their own nuclear families. Their role in the extended family is different, especially, as with Harry, when there have obviously been frictions in later years which increased when Meghan became a fixture in Harry's life. What were close relationships between siblings as children can cool off over time and not everyone remains close to their siblings. It seems that there are serious problems in Harry's relationship with William and maybe he doesn't want to be anywhere near his brother and just wants to get back to his wife and little son and await the birth of his daughter. Harry has chosen to live independently and some choices he would not have made himself have been imposed upon him and maybe right now he doesn't have a burning desire to fix his relationship with William.

Last edited:
If it hadn’t been for this pandemic, preventing regular flights across the pond, we don’t know whether things would have developed in the way that they seem to have. Harry might well have been back half a dozen times by now for varied reasons and seen and spoken to his family face to face.

However, Covid has prevented many things and even if Harry stayed an extra week there’s no guarantee, with the regulations that are in place that he would be able to go to CH or Highgrove to see his father and stepmother or to Anmer to meet with his brother and his family.

All fair.

I’ll admit, It’s very possible in the short time Harry is here that he will have some time to chat with his father, etc.. If that’s enough to get the ball rolling in the sense that they can see a possibility of a fresh start, then fine - no issue. They can all still Zoom.

Fine, but if he does that, I will conclude that he simply can’t be bothered with his family anymore. Yes, his father, brother, grandmother, etc..are still his family. He hasn’t seen his family in over a year... and it’s not like they live in the next town - they live 6000 miles away. You said previously that you hope the family can heal at some point. Don’t you think it’s worth spending a little time with your family to try and lay the foundation of a new beginning? He’s here, why not?

I know you love Harry, but it’s mind boggling that you think anyone who believes he should stay a few more days is suggesting something crazy, out of this world.

I think Harry will do what is best for him. It is not my place to judge his decision with his family. I do hope they heal. That hasn’t changed but we have no idea the circumstances. I mean other than the funeral, my guess he not seeing much of anyone. And can he? His 5 day exemption is pretty specific. Lockdown restrictions haven’t lifted.

This is such an extreme take. So unless he stays a few days that means he hates everyone? He will have to quarantine again when he leaves. Maybe he doesn’t want to prolong that due to other commitments? We just have no idea what’s going on but I wish them well with whatever happens.

Last edited:
But with the current Covid restrictions in Britain, I don't think he'd be able to meet with any of them in person, except perhaps outdoors?

It's not like the US where all of the lockdowns are, in essence, merely advisory, save for the limitations on certain business sectors. I'm in Oregon, one of the more restrictive states and even during Christmas, almost our entire family gathered at my parents house for 3-4 days (9 adults & 1 6-mo old, from 4 different households), in spite of our governor's guidance to the contrary.

I don't have a problem with Harry heading back home shortly after the funeral. It would be different if things were looser in the UK, like they are in the US, but I just don't see how Harry can meet with anyone face-to-face right now, especially if it's true that he's at Frogmore Cottage since we know that Eugenie & Jack are also there. The assumption would be that the Brooksbanks are sharing a support/family bubble with the Yorks, which would leave Harry, if he's in the same household at the moment, as part of that bubble, not a Cambridge or Wales support/family bubble.

But...he’s going to be seeing everyone at the funeral, stuff before it actually starts, so obviously he’s exposed to them.

To be fair, like I referenced below, it’s possible that Harry and Charles (I guess William? Things are likely worse between them) could have some time alone while H is there. Maybe the most important thing will be that they remember they love each other, and they can agree to have conversations on Zoom or whatever. Charles at one point had bad relationships with his parents, and things changed...Misunderstandings, miscommunications...cleared up. They obviously learned to understand and respect each other. Same thing can still happen here. They don’t have to unpack all their baggage here - my ONLY concern is wanting this family rift to heal, no matter how long it takes

I think Harry will do what is best for him. It is not my place to judge his decision with his family. I do hope they heal. That hasn’t changed but we have no idea the circumstances. I mean other than the funeral, my guess he not seeing much of anyone. And can he? His 5 day exemption is pretty specific. Lockdown restrictions haven’t lifted.

This is such an extreme take. So unless he stays a few days that means he hates everyone? He will have to quarantine again when he leaves. Maybe he doesn’t want to prolong that due to other commitments? We just have no idea what’s going on but I wish them well with whatever happens.

Too extreme, that’s why I deleted that part, lol.

My only concern is that this family heal their rift - I guess that’s why I got emotional. I’m just going to sit back and hope that father, son and brothers can lay the foundation of a new beginning. Harry will be having a daughter, soon, and that will be cause for great joy and celebration...

I'm not suggesting that Harry does not consider his brother, father and grandmother are of any import, but family dynamics can change when people have their own spouses and even more when they have their own nuclear families. Their role in the extended family is different, especially, as with Harry, when there have obviously been frictions in later years which increased when Meghan became a fixture in Harry's life. What were close relationships between siblings as children can cool off over time and not everyone remains close to their siblings. It seems that there are serious problems in Harry's relationship with William and maybe he doesn't want to be anywhere near his brother and just wants to get back to his wife and little son and await the birth of his daughter. Harry has chosen to live independently and some choices he would not have made himself have been imposed upon him and maybe right now he doesn't have a burning desire to fix his relationship with William.

That’s all true. My main concern is frankly Charles and Harry as I think there is much hurt between them rather than anger. I can’t bear that father and son have such issues. I’m terribly sad about W and H, but that, I think, is a lot more complicated and probably will take a lot longer to heal...and even then, it might not be the same.

I don’t mean to diminish Harry’s own nuclear unit, by the way.

Too extreme, that’s why I deleted that part, lol.

My only concern is that this family heal their rift - I guess that’s why I got emotional. I’m just going to sit back and hope that father, son and brothers can lay the foundation of a new beginning. Harry will be having a daughter, soon, and that will be cause for great joy and celebration...

I don't see things changing anytime soon if ever. In the Oprah interview, Harry said he got out (his been wanting to get out for years before Meghan and said as much on many instances...). For that reason, I don't see them returning to royal life unless a lot of changes happen.

If I not mistaken doesn't Prince Harry have to quarantine when he get back?

If I not mistaken doesn't Prince Harry have to quarantine when he get back?

Yes he does need to quarantine when he returns to CA if he's not vaccinated. (Native Californians do not refer to our state as "Cali.");)
Follow the CDPH Travel Advisory

All travelers should follow the CDPH Travel Advisory. It asks that you:

If you are unvaccinated:

• Avoid non-essential travel
  • If you must travel, get tested 1-3 days before travel, and 3-5 days after travel
  • After travel, self-quarantine for 7 days, no matter what your test results were. If you didn’t get tested, self-quarantine for 10 days.

https://covid19.ca.gov/travel/

I don't see things changing anytime soon if ever. In the Oprah interview, Harry said he got out (his been wanting to get out for years before Meghan and said as much on many instances...). For that reason, I don't see them returning to royal life unless a lot of changes happen.

The Sussex couple returning to royal life and working for the monarchy will happen when there's daily snowball fights in hell. That is never going to happen. Not in this reality. I don't believe Harry and Meghan would ever *want* to go back nor do I think the BRF, the "Firm" and the British people would ever allow it or embrace it.

What we're talking about here is Harry mending fences with his family. Restoring communication and accepting the things that have happened as being the way they are and moving forward. No one ever is suggesting that the Sussexes return to the fold in the UK. That, in and of itself, is an impossibility after everything that has happened. ;)

Personally, I don't think a funeral is the appropriate time for Harry and Charles and William to work through their issues. I don't think anyone is thinking clearly when they are grieving.

And Covid makes it logistically difficult, too. Any discussions would have to be held outdoors. I just found the regulations:

The current rules - from 12 April

You can continue to meet up with others outdoors in private gardens and public spaces in groups of six (rule of six) or as two whole households:
These two households can be any size and a household can include an eligible support bubble.  For example, two families of four can meet, if each family live in the same household or form part of one support bubble.
If you are meeting with more than one other household there is a limit of six people.  For example, if you want to meet with friends who don’t live together or as a group of three families, the maximum number of people who can meet in a group is six.
You cannot mix indoors with people you do not live with or who are not in your support bubble.

https://www.london.gov.uk/coronavir...in groups bigger,six people or two households.

The Sussex couple returning to royal life and working for the monarchy will happen when there's daily snowball fights in hell. That is never going to happen. Not in this reality. I don't believe Harry and Meghan would ever *want* to go back nor do I think the BRF, the "Firm" and the British people would ever allow it or embrace it.

What we're talking about here is Harry mending fences with his family. Restoring communication and accepting the things that have happened as being the way they are and moving forward. No one ever is suggesting that the Sussexes return to the fold in the UK. That, in and of itself, is an impossibility after everything that has happened. ;)

Agreed. That’s never happening but they can be civil and supportive players again with time. Joining the family at big events that extended family tend to appear. And when Charles is monarch, maybe things won’t be so distant despite the location of them all. That’s the hope. A reconciliation but time will tell.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but I'm assuming they'll all be physically in the same place for the funeral, and would be allowed to meet in small groups outdoors afterwards. Current guidelines allow outdoor meetings of up to six people from two households. Everyone who lives within easy driving distance will still be within easy driving distance over the next few days. Everyone who doesn't is presumably staying on the grounds somewhere for at least a night or two.

...But if the timeframe she gave is correct and she's not due for at least two more months, then her pregnancy isn't a good reason for Harry to hop on the first flight back right after the funeral. So if that's what he does, I think it's perfectly fair to criticize him for not even trying to spend time with his extended family after their shared loss. If he just doesn't want to see them, that's his prerogative. But at that point it's time to call a spade a spade and recognize that no matter what's been claimed publicly, he simply isn't interested in repairing those relationships. I'd be more forgiving if they'd just lied about the due date, because I can understand why they'd want to, and this situation couldn't have been predicted at the time they did it.

ACO said:
I think Harry will do what is best for him.

I think Harry will do what he thinks is best for himself, too. I just don't think that's how he should make decisions in this situation. Meghan and Archie aren't going to be meaningfully impacted by his staying a few days longer, so it's not about what's best for them, either. It should be about what's best for his 95-year-old newly-widowed grandmother, not what's best for Harry.

Well who is to say they want him to stay? People on this board love to state he is not welcomed over and over. Maybe he feels that too? Maybe they told him “You should leave once it’s over.”

I don’t believe it, but hey... maybe? We have no clue.

That said, Meghan’s due date really has nothing to do with him just wanting to return to his wife and son. I mean isn’t that normal?

Again we have no idea but we shall see. For all we know he might leave on Monday, which will give him the weekend to catch up.

Every single mourner at that funeral has to stand or sit at least two metres apart, unless they share a household ‘bubble’.

Harry is presumably at Frogmore Cottage so he may just may be in a bubble with the Brooksbanks. He is not in a household bubble with the Queen, nor with his brother and sister in law, nor with his father and stepmother.

Masks will be worn by all the mourners at the funeral. Even afterwards, and out of doors, what sort of meaningful dialogue aimed at healing tensions could possibly be achieved under those circumstances?

Especially as Harry would not be able to visit his grandmother at Windsor Castle or BP, his father at Highgrove or CH, or his brother at Anmer or KP.

Last edited:
Also this is not the time for them to rehash all that. The focus will be on HMQ and Prince Philip. That’s said, that doesn’t mean they can’t jumpstart the lines of communication again. Hopefully they will. Drastic family events like this really can shift dynamics.

I know this post might be deemed as speculation and a bit late to the conversation. In regards to whether Harry & Meghan knew about Prince Philip's health prior to the filming of Oprah's interview, Nigel Farage stated that a "royal correspondent" from UK's "big broadcaster) told him that the Royal Family and royal correspondent (if that is what the word "we" indicated) allegedly knew that Prince Philip was unlikely going to make it for his 100th birthday. This Fox News interview was done straight after the announcement of Prince Philip's death. Farage himself has uploaded this video on to his channel.

The "royal correspondent", who Farage did not name, said

Nigel Farage then made a conclusion and possibly an allegation that

Video start at 3:01 when the host of Fox News (I don't know about his name) asked Farage a question on Harry & Meghan and ends at 4:41 when Farage finished his response on Harry & Megan

P.s. I won't be able to respond quickly (or even a reply) for the next 10 hours, as I have work.
Fox “news” is a tabloid tv and completely unreliable

Let's please move on from speculating about whether Meghan and Harry misstated her due date. Thanks.

I do think that now Philip has passed, the Queen will start to take her days a bit easier from here on out and relegate more to Charles and the family. It's been rumored that she'll reside predominately at Windsor and use BP as the "office".

About the time when the Queen perhaps was to "busy" to see Harry in the winter of 2019-2020, it possibly could be that Harry was hoping to talk with her in London and she was on hiatus at Wood Farm at the time (or Sandringham Big House) as it was the Christmas break. I'm sure if we checked the CC, we'd see what engagements she fulfilled during that time period.

It's just not unusual that if Harry wanted to sit down and talk with his grandmother, he'd have to go through her office and set a time and date. It's not unusual either for Harry to be told that the Queen was unavailable but I'm sure there could have been something set up somehow. It never panned out though. We don't have any kind of a definite timeline of how everything actually went down *before* the manifesto appeared publicly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom