The Duke & Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 4: April-June 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think they were wrong in their claims that the firm wasn't exactly helpful to them. Let's also not pretend the allegations of racism don't run a lot deeper than "just" the claims regarding the titles...If you afford one party the benefit of doubt, it rings a bit hollow if you don't extend it to the other party as well.
I said there were claims I found proven wrong and the "they didn't give Archie a title because of racism" was one of them.

I actually did afford Harry and Meghan the benefit of doubt by suggesting what I thought about the claims they made without excluding the possibility that there were real offences.

Since you suggested that Harry and Meghan might have been "the" injured party, isn't it the same non-allowance of the benefit of doubt that you're blaming me of, only placed on the other party?

Last edited by a moderator:
I said there were claims I found proven wrong and the "they didn't give Archie a title because of racism" was one of them.

I actually did afford Harry and Meghan the benefit of doubt by suggesting what I thought about the claims they made without excluding the possibility that there were real offences.

Since you suggested that Harry and Meghan might have been "the" injured party, isn't it the same non-allowance of the benefit of doubt that you're blaming me of, only placed on the other party?

The crux of the matter lies in the fact that all these accusations and implications and wrongdoings between members of a family were purposely brought into the public domain and the minds and thoughts of people that really have no *real* idea what went on behind the scenes or even know these people. For the general public, it's like watching a scripted soap opera where you tune in every day to see what your favorite hero or villain is up to.

Doing this purposely puts *all* of us in the position of forming an opinion based on what we've seen and heard and now getting feedback on from every one and their pet meerkat to influence that opinion we hold. Frankly, I'm starting to find it all rather tiresome. It's really a shame that *this* is what the Sussex brand is going to be "branded" with. Then again, that probably goes along with the thought than any publicity is good publicity. ;)

I really have to laugh sometimes too as I go through my Facebook feed and see a video pop up about Harry and Meghan that lists them as "The Duke and Duchess of Essex". I scrolled past that thing as fast as possible but that's what a *lot* of stuff out there these days are like. ?

I'm not gonna go into a debate about whether or not that was "proven wrong" but it clearly wasn't the only allegation of racism they made, so the examples you listed clearly weren't "the worst" they've got.

Benefit of doubt isn't mutually exclusive. I'm not the one consistently making it out as though only one party's to blame. None of us know what's really happened, so I'd just wish we'd move on from placing all the blame on one party because we don't like an interview they've done.

For now, as to the rift, I’m only going to speak as to Charles, William and Harry as we simply don’t know enough regarding the rest of the BRF - and frankly, it’s the first two who the latter hurt the most.

As I spoke about above, Charles as father will badly want to start the healing process - between he and H and especially between his sons (he can control his part of his relationship with H, but he can’t control anything with regards to W and H). That means getting everyone to open up, to TALK - and that will be much easier in person. I think there has been a lot of miscommunication between all 3, to be honest (that is, between C and H and W and H). The goal wouldn’t be to reestablish trust - that can only happen over time, and organically - but rather at least a desire to heal and to reopen the lines of communication. I think they all need to at least remember that they do all love each other...and tell each other that.

Charles is probably less angry (not saying he wasn’t, though) than hurt, and William is probably more angry than hurt, so I think the C and H will be easier to heal than W and H. That’s ok - baby steps.

As to public functions, I think that will just be left, again, wide open. Even if the BRF never really feels the same about M again, as long as she’s married to H, they’ll still consider her part of the family. I suspect there will be a standing invitation to appear (not as they used to, of course). Whether they will, who knows? I do think at some point H would....and my gut says M might as well one day, but I’m not going to predict anything.

I actually agree with a lot of this. I can see Charles and Harry mending things faster just because, as pointed out, the dynamic is different. But we obviously have no idea. I just wish healing on all sides.

I don't think any of them are saints. I think hurt has happened on all sides and hopefully they all can own up to it and work it out. But it will take time and a want for that to really happen.

I actually agree with a lot of this. I can see Charles and Harry mending things faster just because, as pointed out, the dynamic is different. But we obviously have no idea. I just wish healing on all sides.

I don't think any of them are saints. I think hurt has happened on all sides and hopefully they all can own up to it and work it out. But it will take time and a want for that to really happen.

I think we all wish healing for them...

They are no more perfect or less than any of us -and as a family, they are just like all of us when you put aside the Royal accoutrements. Their issues sound like a lot of what I read in advice columns: resentment, frustration at place in the family, desire to protect, miscommunication, hurt....all the kind of stuff you see in families.

The worst thing would be if they had to live with regret - should anything happen to any of them. That’s one lesson I think all this death has taught us - you just don’t ever know when the last time is that you’ll be able to see your family and tell them how you feel. They all need to put aside their pride.

But they may well be the injured party :ermm: I think it's astounding how it seems to have been collectively decided on here that the BRF has done no wrong. There's no way of knowing the specifics of what's went down, but it's not lost on me how only one party seems to get the benefit of doubt.

I do not believe that one side is completely innocent. Mistakes were made on both sides, and both sides feel injured. IMO, to begin a healing process, both sides have to own to what they did. And you're right, nobody knows the whole truth but the parties concerned.

Carrying a grudge through life can be a burden and exhausting to all concerned, so both sides might want to iron it out. They don't have to be BFFs.

The Duke & Duchess of Sussex & Family - General News April 2021 -

But they may well be the injured party :ermm: I think it's astounding how it seems to have been collectively decided on here that the BRF has done no wrong. There's no way of knowing the specifics of what's went down, but it's not lost on me how only one party seems to get the benefit of doubt.

I’m not saying the BRF handled everything perfectly. They’re human, of course.

But- I think the interview all by itself makes the TRF an injured party too no matter what. I don’t think private grievances should be aired publicly. Period. You sure don’t do it when you have 2 elderly grandparents who will be impacted by what you say.

What exactly happened between the Sussexes and TRF, we don’t know. Only one side is talking and the other won’t. The Sussexes knew that. They whined about people they knew couldn’t respond.

Furthermore- I do know this: the Sussexes told proven lies during the interview and related private conversations during and after the interview. Plenty to be upset with right there.

Also- there is the fact that Harry and Meghan allowed an interview to air that accused the family of racism- telling a story they can’t even relate in the same way- which threw the whole family under a cloud of suspicion.....including his elderly grandparents. Harry didn’t bother to correct the latter for hours. His grandfather was in the hospital. That is reprehensible in my mind. The racism accusation literally impacts everyone- the royal family, their kids, etc. Plenty of injured parties right there.

This is just off the top of my head.

So- yes- I think TRF are an injured party. I’m sure some of this is a 2 way street- no one is perfect- but only one side made private matters public- and did it pretty obviously as a sympathy ploy.

Last edited:
I think we all wish healing for them...

They are no more perfect or less than any of us -and as a family, they are just like all of us when you put aside the Royal accoutrements. Their issues sound like a lot of what I read in advice columns: resentment, frustration at place in the family, desire to protect, miscommunication, hurt....all the kind of stuff you see in families.

The worst thing would be if they had to live with regret - should anything happen to any of them. That’s one lesson I think all this death has taught us - you just don’t ever know when the last time is that you’ll be able to see your family and tell them how you feel. They all need to put aside their pride.

Agree. I sure the other Royal Families in Europe have their fair share of Family drama and issues but they don't get the coverage the British Royals do paticualry in English-speaking Coutnures so we don't really hear about it.

I’m not saying the BRF handled everything perfectly. They’re human, of course.

But- I think the interview all by itself makes the TRF an injured party too no matter what. I don’t think private grievances should be aired publicly. Period. You sure don’t do it when you have 2 elderly grandparents who will be impacted by what you say.

What exactly happened between the Sussexes and TRF, we don’t know. Only one side is talking and the other won’t. The Sussexes knew that. They whined about people they knew couldn’t respond.

Furthermore- I do know this: the Sussexes told proven lies during the interview and related private conversations during and after the interview. Plenty to be upset with right there.

Also- there is the fact that Harry and Meghan allowed an interview to air that accused the family of racism- telling a story they can’t even relate in the same way- which threw the whole family under a cloud of suspicion.....including his elderly grandparents. Harry didn’t bother to correct the latter for hours. His grandfather was in the hospital. That is reprehensible in my mind. The racism accusation literally impacts everyone- the royal family, their kids, etc. Plenty of injured parties right there.

This is just off the top of my head.

So- yes- I think TRF are an injured party. I’m sure some of this is a 2 way street- no one is perfect- but only one side made private matters public- and did it pretty obviously as a sympathy ploy.

I do agree. I have seen people on social media acting like it one-sided and that the other can do no wrong. but truthfully things were probably said and done on both sides. Of course, we will only ever have Sussex sides. We are all humans even the Royals

The Duke & Duchess of Sussex & Family - General News April 2021 -

I do not believe that one side is completely innocent. Mistakes were made on both sides, and both sides feel injured. IMO, to begin a healing process, both sides have to own to what they did. And you're right, nobody knows the whole truth but the parties concerned.

Carrying a grudge through life can be a burden and exhausting to all concerned, so both sides might want to iron it out. They don't have to be BFFs.

I agree with all of this. Well said. I hope there can be healing for all. Agreed- they don’t have to be BFFs.

Last edited:
Agree. I sure the other Royal Families in Europe have their fair share of Family drama and issues but they don't get the coverage the British Royals do paticualry in English-speaking Coutnures so we don't really hear about it.

As far as I know, members of other royal families don't go on television to make hurtful accusations. Every family has drama and issues, but it rarely does any good to air your dirty laundry.

The crux of the matter lies in the fact that all these accusations and implications and wrongdoings between members of a family were purposely brought into the public domain and the minds and thoughts of people that really have no *real* idea what went on behind the scenes or even know these people. For the general public, it's like watching a scripted soap opera where you tune in every day to see what your favorite hero or villain is up to.

Doing this purposely puts *all* of us in the position of forming an opinion based on what we've seen and heard and now getting feedback on from every one and their pet meerkat to influence that opinion we hold. Frankly, I'm starting to find it all rather tiresome. It's really a shame that *this* is what the Sussex brand is going to be "branded" with. Then again, that probably goes along with the thought than any publicity is good publicity. ;)

I really have to laugh sometimes too as I go through my Facebook feed and see a video pop up about Harry and Meghan that lists them as "The Duke and Duchess of Essex". I scrolled past that thing as fast as possible but that's what a *lot* of stuff out there these days are like. ?
Once, I saw them called Wessex. For real.

What you're talking about is related to the magic of royalty, I think. There's a reason royals aren't supposed to talk extensively about themselves. We could really do without seeing in person just how much like us they are.

As far as I know, members of other royal families don't go on television to make hurtful accusations. Every family has drama and issues, but it rarely does any good to air your dirty laundry.

Well the Dutch royal family dealt with a somewhat similar case of publicly "airing laundry" in the early 2000's with Princess Margarita and her first husband Edwin De Roy van Zuydewijn. The couple made some rather surprising allegations against the Royal House and Queen Beatrix. Likewise I don't believe that it did the couple any good in the end.

Last edited:
Once, I saw them called Wessex. For real.

What you're talking about is related to the magic of royalty, I think. There's a reason royals aren't supposed to talk extensively about themselves. We could really do without seeing in person just how much like us they are.

Yukari just posted a quote from the late Duke of Edinburgh as told to Gyles Brandreth in the thread about Philip's death (post #962) that sums up exactly what you've stated here, Moran.

"He told me more than once: ‘It’s a big mistake to think about yourself. No one is interested in you in the long run. Don’t court popularity. It doesn’t last. Remember that the attention comes because of the position you are privileged to hold, not because of who you are. If you think it’s all about you, you’ll never be happy."

No breaking news but apparently, Meghan and the Queen spoke and the Queen understands why Meghan couldn't attend. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...erstands-pregnant-Meghan-Markle-flown-US.html
Here is one of the responses to that article. I certainly agree that it takes two to tango and I’m sure the RF isn’t perfect. However, the grandstanding interview with Oprah was beyond the pale for me. You cannot have good family relationships if you say bad things about those family members publicly. Period. If I share personal information about my sister on Facebook I cannot expect her to be understanding, happy about it, and not hurt. Especially if it were to show her in a bad light. Here is the comment to the article that I agree with, written by someone in Southern California BTW:

Did I just read that correctly? " she is ready to forgive the royal family " . The family that welcomed her with open arms, that allowed her access to things no other girlfriend/fiance was allowed? That put on a multi million dollar wedding for a minor 6th in line to the throne. Her sense of entitlement and narcissism is utterly breathtaking.

https://www.usmagazine.com/celebrit...ried-about-leaving-meghan-markle-for-funeral/

According to this, he only plans to stay a week. If he can't leave quarantine until Saturday, and the funeral takes up most of the day Saturday, and then he turns around and leaves Sunday, that doesn't leave much time for personal conversations.

All the usual disclaimers about unnamed sources apply, of course.

Maybe Harry doesn't want to engage in lengthy conversations. I suspect he wants to see his grandmother and smooth things over with his father, but I wouldn't be surprised if he does not care to engage with his brother. A lot of people seem to take the view that the brothers need to make peace with each other, but I have the feeling that the relationship between Harry and William might never be close again and maybe Harry just doesn't care. There are obviously some deep-seated issues between them and perhaps the differences are irreconcilable.

Yukari just posted a quote from the late Duke of Edinburgh as told to Gyles Brandreth in the thread about Philip's death (post #962) that sums up exactly what you've stated here, Moran.

"He told me more than once: ‘It’s a big mistake to think about yourself. No one is interested in you in the long run. Don’t court popularity. It doesn’t last. Remember that the attention comes because of the position you are privileged to hold, not because of who you are. If you think it’s all about you, you’ll never be happy."
So eloquently said. Thank you, Osipi, and a thanks to Yukari.

As so many stated trust is very hard to build once it's gone. Personally I wouldn't want to speak to Harry about anything important because of where it might be published.

As so many stated trust is very hard to build once it's gone. Personally I wouldn't want to speak to Harry about anything important because of where it might be published.

And... with the way the "circle of trust" used to work with the brothers is that Harry won't know if what William tells him is true or a load of crapola. ;)

And... with the way the "circle of trust" used to work with the brothers is that Harry won't know if what William tells him is true or a load of crapola. ;)

Very true especially if the load of crapola ends up with Gayle King. I believe that a test will happen. Maybe not this weekend but at some point to establish trust again.

I mean that goes both ways. Frankly I don't think either brother trusts the other very much. They probably don't even like each other, but they are brothers still.

I have a bad feeling that the Gayle King conversation was the test.

I mean that goes both ways. Frankly I don't think either brother trusts the other very much. They probably don't even like each other, but they are brothers still.

I have a feeling that even in this time of grief no one is having a conversation with Harry about anything that they wouldn’t want Gayle King telling the world about

Thank you! How can they trust him now to open up up if they have reason to believe he will call Oprah or Gayle about it? He would naturally tell his wife at any rate and her “friends” have zero discretion or scruples about speaking out.

I have a feeling that even in this time of grief no one is having a conversation with Harry about anything that they wouldn’t want Gayle King telling the world about

Agreed. And I fully agree that there’s going to be a test, probably several actually, and I wouldn’t be surprised at all of Harry failed the first one by running to Gayle King.

Last edited:
One thing I can bet my last Oreo cookie on is that there'll be a beeline to Meghan after Harry returns hoping to pick up a scoop or three on the "inside story" of Harry's time back in the UK with his family.

I hope Harry does stay closed mouth and keeps things to himself. If so, as time passes, there'll be no scoops to be had from the Sussexes and perhaps fences can be mended. If Meghan or Harry give a "scoop" that is made public, it'll just widen the divide that already exists and further alienate the Sussexes from the British royal family.

The less said at this time, the better. ;)

Harry might be in a pretty difficult spot here. I suppose he might have been the one who called up Gayle King, but it doesn't seem likely. He might have just told his wife about his conversation with his brother, like most people would do, and that was all it took for it to end up on Good Morning America. If he wants to regain the trust of his family, he may need to be more judicious about what he tells Meghan. If he loves her as much as he seems to, he may not think it's worth it.

They should also start with their own sources blabbing to the likes of Camilla Tominey and Roya Nikkah. I’m just saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom