The Duke & Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 4: April-June 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If they were at Kensington they would have been seen already. But I don't know they obviously returned to a London in early March when the schools opened and William was either supposed to be giving a video link nor be at the Baftas in London tonight. Who knows where they are.

It was the Easter break so possibly at Amner Hall. Not sure when schools open. I think It was a live video link.

Nott Cott is at Kensington Palace in London. The Queen is at Windsor Castle. I don't see Harry meeting up with her much before the actual funeral. Maybe by phone though. ?

I'd read that Harry was going to see her first...........but, in any case, point taken. I thought Nott Cott (love saying that, lol) was near Frogmore.........isn't Frogmore on Windsor grounds?

Frogmore cottage is on tbe Windsor estate and Nott cottage is within Kensington Palace grounds.

Frogmore Cottage is very near Windsor Castle (don’t know whether Eugenie and family are living there or are at Ivy Cottage). Ivy and Nott Cottages are part of the Kensington Palace complex.

Thanks, all! Now I have my cottages straightened out, lol..........

Frogmore Cottage is very near Windsor Castle (don’t know whether Eugenie and family are living there or are at Ivy Cottage). Ivy and Nott Cottages are part of the Kensington Palace complex.

I saw Frogmore cottage yesterday . It is literally right by the Cambridge gate entrance to Windsor. Given the trees and stuff surrounding it and Eugenies social media . She is living there.

I'd read that Harry was going to see her first...........but, in any case, point taken. I thought Nott Cott (love saying that, lol) was near Frogmore.........isn't Frogmore on Windsor grounds?

He couldn't see her anyway. He has to quarantine.

Will any of the funeral on Saturday be broadcast at some time.

Last edited:
I think he arrived a bit earlier than that. Here in Australia we started getting reports of his arrival over three hours ago on our early Monday TV news.

:previous: If true, that's got to sting, especially if Charles and William are wearing uniforms. Hopefully everyone involved can be gracious about it.

We don’t know whether any of the royals will wear military uniform. There’s been no notification from the Palace that this will be the dress code.

And if he doesn’t, he will hardly be standing out. None of the grandchildren apart from William or the grandchildren’s spouses are or have been in the military forces.

But Prince Philip was in hospital for weeks and none of his family but Prince Charles went to visit him while he was there. As his children and grandchildren were in their own family bubbles (as was Philip and the Queen) it’s extremely debatable that any of them besides Charles saw him close up face to face during those last months of his life.

If most of them visited Windsor Castle to see the couple during the last lockdown then the media must have missed it because it wasn’t recorded. During Covid family members from different households could not visit each other, whether they were royal or not.

Covid has been raging in both the US and the UK with huge case numbers. It’s not as simple as just getting on a plane to visit a family member, however old they are, and hasn’t been for nearly two years.

But Prince Philip was in hospital for weeks and none of his family but Prince Charles went to visit him while he was there. As his children and grandchildren were in their own family bubbles (as was Philip and the Queen) it’s extremely debatable that any of them besides Charles saw him close up face to face during those last months of his life.

If most of them visited Windsor Castle to see the couple during the last lockdown then the media must have missed it because it wasn’t recorded. During Covid family members from different households could not visit each other, whether they were royal or not.

Covid has been raging in both the US and the UK with huge case numbers. It’s not as simple as just getting on a plane to visit a family member, however old they are, and hasn’t been for nearly two years.

Oh, please with the hyperbole. Covid has only been with us for about 16 months, MAX, and it wasn't even making the news outside of China until mid-January 2020, just 15 months ago.

And the media could have missed it if they weren't camped out at every single possible entrance to Windsor Castle. Andrew lives at Royal Lodge and could have easily visited without anyone from the media recording it. Charles and HM clearly visited with each other outdoors prior to Easter. I think it's all but certain that they did visit once he was out of the hospital but we're never going to know for sure, and that's just fine. We don't need to know.

As for Harry - It would have been a lot more obvious had he boarded a plane in LA and the media would have absolutely camped out at Heathrow to monitor all arrivals from the US and it would have certainly raised the speculation that Philip was at death's door. That coupled with Meghan probably just having entered her third trimester, I honestly think it just made more sense, no matter how much he would have wanted to see his grandfather before he passed away, for him to remain in California until Philip did pass away. Maybe it was clear that the end was near but Philip could have lingered for much longer and how long does Harry stay in the UK once he completes the quarantine? Plus, he would then have to fly back and quarantine again for a funeral. Harry was, IMO, in a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" position with regard to travel & quarantine restrictions.

I have much compassion for him, being so far away. I was a freshman in college when my paternal grandfather died, on the other side of the country and my family didn't have the money to fly me out to Oregon unexpectedly for a funeral, so I wasn't able to be there for that but did come up the following summer to visit my grandmother who took me to visit his gravesite at the national cemetery. That's the choice that sometimes we face, and it's all we can do. I'm glad Harry has made it to London and will be able to attend the funeral.

Maybe it was clear that the end was near but Philip could have lingered for much longer and how long does Harry stay in the UK once he completes the quarantine? Plus, he would then have to fly back and quarantine again for a funeral. Harry was, IMO, in a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" position with regard to travel & quarantine restrictions.

I don't see why flying to the UK to see Philip, seeing Philip, flying back to California, and then turning around and flying to the UK again a week or two later for the funeral would have been worse than not seeing him. As I understand the quarantine rules, it wouldn't have violated any of them. It would have been an extra week or so away from Meghan, but well before the due date. If she's just barely in her third trimester now, her accompanying him for the first trip might have been an option. It seems none of his jobs involve anything he can't do remotely, so he could have done them just as well from quarantine at Frogmore or wherever. I'm sure those properties all have high-speed internet. The travel itself might not have been pleasant, but if that's the biggest problem, it's hardly a reason not to do it. No one would expect an ordinary person with a real job and limited means to do that, but Harry was fortunate to have the option, and I'll never understand why he didn't take advantage of it.

Monday morning here in Aus and they reported that Harry arrived Sunday (via Commercial jet) and was whisked away in a Rangerover. Then one correspondent said he will be staying at Frogmore Cottage. Then another correspondent on another channel said he will be staying at Nottingham cottage at Kensington Palace. They simply do not know for sure at this stage.

I don't think any of the grandchildren have seen him recently - although they may have done so before Windsor was put under Tier 4 restrictions in December. The children and their spouses will all have been vaccinated, but the grandchildren are all under 50 so their turn hasn't come yet.

Something about ''emasculated'' Harry narrative bothers me.

Throghout his life and public work, Harry's granpa, Duke of Edinburgh, has been praised for walking two steps behind his wife , Queen Elizabeth. And supporting her and monarchy. I have never seen word emasculated next to Phillip's name.

Why do so many people have different standards for Harry , that supporting and caring about your wife and kids is not very masculine or regal? :ermm:

Throghout his life and public work, Harry's granpa, Duke of Edinburgh, has been praised for walking two steps behind his wife , Queen Elizabeth. And supporting her and monarchy. I have never seen word emasculated next to Phillip's name.

Why do so many people have different standards for Harry , that supporting and caring about your wife and kids is not very masculine or regal? :ermm:

I can't speak for others, and I don't think Harry is "emasculated," but the double standard here isn't the one you're thinking. Philip didn't spend 70-odd years walking two steps behind Elizabeth because he thought that's what good husbands are supposed to do when they love their wives. He spent 70-odd years walking two steps behind her because she was the queen. Had she not been the queen, they'd have had a much more equal relationship. I doubt anyone - even either of them - believed that their dynamic was normal and healthy for ordinary people.

I hadn't thought of this comparison until you brought it up, but in some ways, Harry does support Meghan in much the same way Philip supported Elizabeth. The difference is that Meghan isn't the queen or even royal, and without that practical reason for the disparity, it seems far less healthy.

That's his official supporting royal and by all accounts it did take some getting used to. Especially with things like "not being able to give his children his name " at first. He had to work to carve out a meaningful place as a Consort.

However it has always been said that he's very much patriarch of the family in private and it balances each other out.

The perception by some that Harry is "emasculated" comes from a very different angle. There's the idea that she's driving everything because they're living in California, signing Hollywood deals and speaking out on things that Harry never spoke about before, she was the one who was very much driving the Oprah interview etc. Literally everything changed drastically publicly when they married, although he has said he wasn't happy with his life before to be fair. Then you have articles with former staff complaining that it was Meghan arranging the media press releases for the Sussexes and falling out with his family over her, it's all presented from her POV both in public and rumours about how things went in private.

Whether or not that is at all true we have no idea. I hope it is a very equal relationship BTS it's extremely difficult to make any true judgements of what goes on behind closed doors.

The perception by some that Harry is "emasculated" comes from a very different angle. There's the idea that she's driving everything because they're living in California, signing Hollywood deals and speaking out on things that Harry never spoke about before, she was the one who was very much driving the Oprah interview etc. Literally everything changed drastically publicly when they married, although he has said he wasn't happy with his life before to be fair. Then you have articles with former staff complaining that it was Meghan arranging the media press releases for the Sussexes and falling out with his family over her, it's all presented from her POV both in public and rumours about how things went in private.
Is there really such a perception? I don't think I've seen it this much, except when I happened across twitter and the likes where people need their witch and the bewitched victim.

I thought the general consensus out of those circles was that influenced by Meghan or not, Harry was a big boy making his own decisions, no matter how rash they might be. (Leaving without a plan, anyone?)

Last edited:
Is there really such a perception? I don't think I've seen it this much, except when I happened across twitter and the likes where people need their witch and the bewitched victim.

I thought the general consensus out of those circles was that influenced by Meghan or not, Harry was a big boy making his own decisions, no matter how rush they might be. (Leaving without a plan, anyone?)

My father blames Meghan. He said 'ah sure he may stay home now.' I laughed

But I think the isolation from the family has not helped and the general consensus among all of us that have had and know friends that have been quoted unquote 'body snatched.' But everyone is different. We don't know what has happened. Only what has been said directly.

Last edited:
My father blames Meghan. He said 'ah sure he may stay home now.' I laughed

But I think the isolation from the family has not helped and the general consensus among all of us that have had and know friends that have been quoted unquote 'body snatched.' But everyone is different. We don't know what has happened. Only what has been said directly.
:lol: Unless you're on the young side of teen, your father is from a very different generation from mine. I admit I didn't take this generation into account. But I can see how they might think like this.

People do make jokes like this but I don't think many of them really believe their own words. I might well be wrong, though.

I thought the general consensus out of those circles was that influenced by Meghan or not, Harry was a big boy making his own decisions, no matter how rush they might be. (Leaving without a plan, anyone?)

I've seen it quite a bit, mostly because they're on Meghan's home turf, industry and the word salad that seems to come out of Harry's mouth whenever he speaks, not to mention seeming to follow her lead in cutting off from most of his family and old friends. The "cheeky, easy going Harry" narrative has been thoroughly smashed and people look for a reason why, but it was often a creation (albeit based in some form of truth) of Edward Lane Fox after his various scandals.

My personal view is a little different. I agree with what you said, I think Harry's perfectly capable of throwing his own toys out of his pram (bank of Dad comments etc) when he doesn't get what he wants and he and Meghan are partners in crime in this mess they created.

If I could give Harry and Meghan one piece of advice I would tell them to repair their relationships with their family members. It’s sad what has happened between William and Harry. Meghan has a deplorable relationship with her father and sister. I really think Meghan’s relationship with her family is toxic and her influence is making Harry’s family relationships worse. Harry’s and Meghan’s “statement” to remember his grandfather was so cold. Thanks for your service? How about We love you, Grandpa?
That’s what is missing. Love for their families.

:previous: What statement? They haven't released a statement on Philip's death. They posted a few words to accompany the tribute on their website. That's not a statement.

And Meghan's relationship with her father's family may be toxic but then it certainly goes both ways. Actually, I'd say that an outright unwillingness to respect someone's boundaries is a textbook example of toxicity.

William and Harry have both released solo statements about Philip today.

Here is Harry's https://archewell.com

It has also been confirmed that Harry is quarantining in his home at Frogmore Cottage.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom