The Duke & Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 4: April-June 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A look at the recent Harry interviews on GMB.

And I would just like to ask a question. Does it appear, from what we now know about how Diana’s death affected Harry (and his brother) who quite obviously were devastated, that any senior royal thought that these boys might need some therapy, some counselling, after this traumatic event? Apart from shoving Harry into a new school and that adjustment to be experienced of course. No thought of any consultation with any (child) psychologists on their behalf?

Charles had had therapy in the early years of his marriage so it wasn’t exactly an unknown quality for him, even if the Queen, Prince Philip, Princess Anne (of the stiff upper lip school) never thought of it at Balmoral when observing this 12 and 15 year old, or afterwards.
I have wondered about this as well. While I think there is less and less of a stigma now than 25 years ago, I don’t know about grief counseling for children in the UK. In the US there are grief counselors (free BTW) through Hospice for children and adults. In my county they have a summer weekend grief camp. I’ve had many grief counseling groups with children. I wish I could remember if this was prevalent 25 years ago, but I was working with college students then. Grief is such a personal thing - people don’t grieve the same way and children grieve very differently from adults.
I’ve never read anything about the boys doing grief work - perhaps they did - it is very helpful for most.

I guess Harry is denying but I wouldn't be surprised if Charles hadn't offered them counselling. They certainly had school counsellors who are trained in child psychology. The school counsellors probably assessed them regularly and kept Charles apprised.

Were they at Eton then? I’m sure they had pastoral counselors but not sure if they have/had a system of what we call School Counselors in the US. We are master’s level counselors licensed to work specifically in schools.

Last edited:
TBH, I think Harry only made one mistake in the last months: he overestimated his and Meghan's lasting popularity. This compassionate interview he's talking about isn't really a product of the delusions of a mentally ill person. It's a calculated strategy to make his family give him money, or else he'd keep giving interviews and saying damaging things. They didn't fall to their knees in money-padded supplications, so he kept talking. It's a warning that they'd better sponsor him, or else he'll keep talking ala Thomas Markle style, and paint them increasingly poorly.

The RF style isn't just about which hat goes with which dress at which event. It's about communicating. Harry, an ELF's product, has learned something about talking without being explicit.

There is this pattern: the more the RF shows they won't be backed into a corner, the more Harry lashes out in the hope of squeezing out some of those money that mean old Dad isn't ready to shower him in anymore.

What does ELF stand for?

Oprah specifically asked him if before he met Meghan, he had ever started the process of trying to figure out what was wrong. He said no. From Harry’s own account, we know that’s not true. In 2017, he spoke openly about William pushing him to get help, how he was finally dealing with Diana’s death and that his 2+ years of therapy helped him get to a better place in his life.

It’s possible that there were still issues that Harry needed to deal with and Meghan saw that and pushed him to get help. And if so, that’s what he should have said instead of telling Oprah he had never gone to therapy/tried to figure out what was wrong.

Not only is this true, but Dax also specifically asked about the moment when Harry realized he needed counseling for the first time. He answered that it was when Meghan pointed it out to him.

At the time, I posted pointing out that I perceived that in my opinion Harry was, to put it politely, trying to "craft a new narrative" in anticipation of this upcoming program. There was no other explanation, in my mind, for the sudden switch. I anticipated this new program would portray "Royal Family way of doing things bad, Meghan way of doing things good" and this podcast was his opportunity to to reset the narrative, now his audience is quite wider, that at least one family member had been quite helpful to his in regards to his mental health in the past. He had to plant the seed that in fact it had never been his own family who had helped him with mental health, oh no, it had been his wife. As I predicted, that was necessary because of the content of his upcoming program.

We might not be able to be sure of many things concerning this situation, but we can be sure that Harry is lying through his teeth about at least a handful of things that can be proven. If people want to trust the things that can't be proven, that is up to them.

None of us will ever know if Harry & William were offered or received counseling in the immediate aftermath of Diana's death, unless it comes from one of them directly. No mental health or school professional would ever violate their privacy in that way - and any licensed mental health practitioner would lose his/her license if he/she did so.
Yes, you are absolutely right. They would lose their license in a flash - unethical- period. Osipi said something earlier that I agree with as well. Some one has to be ready and willing to participate in counseling for it to help. Sometimes it can take a very long time to establish the trust and relationship you need for effective counseling. So even if Harry did receive it as a child, he may not have been open to it completely or at all.
Also it is common that as we all grow and pass through different stages in our lives that we need to revisit the trauma due to what bubbles up. I can’t remember how old Harry is but isn’t he about the same age as Diana was when she died? This is huge. Also having a child yourself triggers things from your own childhood, so Archie’s birth and a new baby on the way would do that.
My point is that therapy isn’t always “once and done” for some people meaning that even if he’d done extensive work as a child, he may need to do a different kind of work as an adult. I hope I am making sense:flowers:

The fact that they are showing in the Apple video clips treatment that is common for PTSD leads me to believe that he obviously has a lot more to work through. It is highly unusual to put a real therapy session on TV; obviously, consents were signed, but since I don’t have Apple TV I don’t know if they have (finally) put up anything about who/where to call if you yourself need help. If they have not, I have a super problem with that therapist’s ethics. She seems to be virtual in the UK so I have no idea about their professional standards.

I feel so sorry for Charles. I won’t speculate about what feelings he had about Diana and her death, but I have no doubt he loves Harry. Diana’s unhealthy relationship with the media was the indirect cause of her death. The direct cause of her death was her perceptions being so skewed that she believed being photographed by paparazzi was more dangerous than driving through a tunnel at insane speeds with no seatbelt. For whatever reason, she just wasn’t capable of evaluating the situation and balancing the risks and harms of each outcome rationally, and she’s dead because of it. I don’t know what Charles thought about all that, but he has to be both horrified and terrified to see Harry developing the same disconnect from reality, worrying about all the wrong things while seemingly not noticing - or even embracing - the glaring dangers and red flags all around him. Harry’s right that there’s a lot of his mother in him. Let’s hope it doesn’t end the same way.

Chelsy has never really said anything and probably isn't going to start but I have a feeling if she now spoke up and told the world about her struggles with him (drugs, anger, army, paranoia of the media, struggles with his family - all things he's admitted) under the guise of being open about "her truth" then they'd sue her and complain she was invading their privacy and trying to smear them, if they weren't 100% backing is current revisionism.

You're so right about this. Everyone defending Harry for "speaking his truth" or "talking about his own life" would be horrified - and rightly so - if Chelsy, William, Charles, etc. spoke about their difficulties with Harry and how those difficulties impacted their own lives. By Harry's logic, it should be perfectly ok for them to do that, because it's their truth about their own lives, and he was a part of those lives just as Charles and his other relatives were part of his. But we're not likely to hear firsthand about how William tried to help Harry through his struggles with addiction or looked out for him at Eton, or how Chelsy gave him ultimatums and was devastated by their breakup, or how the Queen and Philip originally wanted Diana's funeral to be a private affair because they were worried about the impact a public spectacle would have on Harry and William. That's because everyone else involved has more class than Harry, and more respect for Harry's privacy than he has for his own or anyone else's. And thank God for that.

Thanks. So he pointedly didn’t mention William’s role in him getting into therapy earlier that he previously stated was so helpful to him. Oprah clearly asked the question.

I

Knowing that Oprah gave him the chance and he just lied makes this worse. He’s not just leaving information out. He was given an opportunity to be crystal clear. And lied.

I guess it wouldn’t serve his current storyline to remind everyone that William had gotten him into therapy while he’s also now saying that the “family” was now neglectful, cold when Meghan needed help. (Of course, he can’t decide if he told them Meghan was suicidal or not....no....yes....)

but he and Meg have done this again and again. They've told a lot of untruths in their various chats with Oprah etc and now its pretty darn hard to believe anything they say.

Well he wouldn't have been stripped of "Dads support" if he hadn't walked out. If he had said that he just couldn't do the royal job any more but was willing to stay in the UK, I dont think that Charles would have cut him off financially.
He would still have had his house with security at Frogmore and I think that Charles would have given him an reasonable if not massive allowance which together with his mother's money could have kept him in reasonable comfort. But HE was the one who wanted NOT to completely leave royal life.. but to "earn a professional income" and he wanted to earn it in America and he was the one who wanted "half in and half out" so royal life can't have been THAT bad for him, or he would hardly have wished to stay in it part time.
NOW from what he has said, he clearly felt that whether he was "half in half out" OR fully out of royal life, Harry still expected his father and the tax payers to continue to pay for his security and expenses....and he was in no real hurry to find work, until he was told that they would not do so.

Harry is full of contradictions, if he hated his tours so much, why did he want to be half in half out, I assume that the half in part would be tours

Not only is this true, but Dax also specifically asked about the moment when Harry realized he needed counseling for the first time. He answered that it was when Meghan pointed it out to him.

At the time, I posted pointing out that I perceived that in my opinion Harry was, to put it politely, trying to "craft a new narrative" in anticipation of this upcoming program. There was no other explanation, in my mind, for the sudden switch. I anticipated this new program would portray "Royal Family way of doing things bad, Meghan way of doing things good" and this podcast was his opportunity to to reset the narrative, now his audience is quite wider, that at least one family member had been quite helpful to his in regards to his mental health in the past. He had to plant the seed that in fact it had never been his own family who had helped him with mental health, oh no, it had been his wife. As I predicted, that was necessary because of the content of his upcoming program.

We might not be able to be sure of many things concerning this situation, but we can be sure that Harry is lying through his teeth about at least a handful of things that can be proven. If people want to trust the things that can't be proven, that is up to them.

So, he was pointedly asked twice about when he realized he needed mental health help. He lied and left out William’s role in getting him help years earlier. That he said was helpful. Instead he says- Meghan helped him. Meghan saw to it that he addressed his problems for the first time ever. All credit to Meghan. None to his family.

Well I guess it wouldn’t serve his altered story that now his “family” was neglectful, cold and unfeeling when Meghan was suicidal to remind the audience that his “family” aka William was instrumental in him getting mental health care years earlier.

Of course- in Oprah 1- he never told his family at all that Meghan was suicidal. Oprah 2- he did and they didn’t care. I guess maybe he also realized it wasn’t a good look to show himself as so incompetent when his wife needed help.

So- he needed to blame his family. Which seems to be his go-to response. It’s not like he (or Meghan) takes responsibility for anything. Which a good therapist would have you do. (A good therapist would also not advise trashing his family publicly.)

Harry just lies. I don’t know of any other word to use. He can’t tell a coherent story. He contradicts himself constantly.

At the moment- one of the only things I take at face value is that he and Meghan have mental health issues of some kind.

The Duke & Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 4: April 2021 -

Harry is full of contradictions, if he hated his tours so much, why did he want to be half in half out, I assume that the half in part would be tours

IIRC- in his HIHO plan- tours, engagements were specified that they’d keep doing. So- he didn’t seem to have problems with that idea a year and a half ago.

So, yes, full of contradictions.

But- listening to him now, you’d never know there was a HIHO plan that got rejected. You’d think they’d just quit.

I hope Harry does keep talking, to the point where people just roll their eyes at another whining interview, because they've heard it all too many times.

Self-pity is never attractive, and much more of this sort of thing will quickly wear out any sympathy he might have gotten initially.

I don’t think we have to wait for that to happen - people are already tired of it. If Harry is looking for serious publicity and attention, he’s not getting it here outside of SOME people on Twitter and a few gossip/celebrity magazines.

I agree as well. Both Scobie and Gayle said the same thing on different occasions "talks are not productive, they won't be until the family really, really apologises to Meghan and speaks to her directly as SHE was the one who was wronged and then the BRF needs to tame the media". That's what they wanted.

I thought they couldn't be serious about actually getting it but combining all the pieces together and seeing that they seriously, really think they deserve full time taxpayer security for a 16 bedroom mansion, Duchy money from Charles, titles for the children and to say anything they want whilst silencing criticism whilst thinking they were being "compassionate"; then yes they thought they might get it.

And holding the threat of move revelations over the family is certainly what they're doing. Even the media commented on it.

They'd probably settle for a quiet payout from Charles if he offered them a large annual sum but I think they want the apology.

If I were H and M, I wouldn’t hold my breaths... much as the BRF loves Harry, they clearly don’t think they’re in the wrong, so even if they were inclined to make public apologies, they wouldn’t in this case. Harry probably thinks that if he keeps adding fuel to the fire that eventually Charles’ desire to reconcile will be so strong that he’ll throw as much water as he can to put out the fire. Not so. I think H has underestimated the BRF’s strength and determination.

By the time the updated Finding Freedom comes out, I don’t think anyone (relatively speaking) will care. I think H is very close to hitting the point of diminishing returns.

I would also point out that in response to criticism over the original Oprah interview (and who would ever think we would be saying that phrase) that Harry would be making his way in the world by constantly giving interviews dishing on his family, many who supported him stood up for him by saying that he had been quite clear that the Oprah interview was going to be his only and last word on the matter.

We can be assured that this program and its contents were well in the works when Harry was assuring us that Oprah was "it" in terms of his discussing his life as a royal and his family. This kind of content does not come together in the span of less than three months.

But if Harry had come out and said, yes, this is just the first of many times I will be talking about these things, first, the interview would not have been so marketable, and second, he would have lost support from people who thought he should tell his side of the story because, after all, he's just going to share his side this once but won't be "making a living" selling tales from within for profit. Indeed.

It is not however in the traditions of the British Royal Family for twelve and fifteen year olds to be expected to follow the coffin of a parent, torn away from them too soon, through the streets of London in front of TV cameras recording every second. Many of the public were weeping, wailing, calling out. Otherwise there was silence, except for the sound horses hooves. It was in front of the world media, and IMO was deeply traumatic.
I agree. Seeing the crowds and hearing the wailing and crying out of strangers that day must have been very traumatic. Harry himself said he dissociated to get through it. He had no control over this; it is a protective response during and/or after trauma. People describe is as an “out of body” type experience.

Excellent points made...

But Dickie Arbiter, the Queen's former press secretary, told the Daily Express: "Senior Royals including Prince Charles will feel deeply sad, deeply angry and deeply betrayed."

Mr Arbiter countered last night: "The royal household bends over backwards to help their family.

"The Queen took a lot of flak for staying at Balmoral after Diana died but why did she? She remained there to put family before duty for the first time in her life. This is what she gets in return. Does she deserve this? No, of course she doesn't."

Mr Arbiter, 81, added: "Harry is very hypocritical. He left because he didn't like media intrusion and wanted privacy but since leaving 17 months ago he has done nothing but media.

"I feel very sorry [about his struggles] but he shouldn't broadcast to the world.

"He may be losing sympathy of the Great British public."

While Royal author Phil Dampier said that "Prince Charles will be deeply saddened. I'm sure that if he did say something to William and Harry along the lines of 'I suffered, so you will', it just meant that they would experience similar problems to him."

He added: "It has doubtless been taken out of context and made to sound like he wanted pain inflicted on them, which I'm sure is totally untrue. Charles was in a very difficult position as a single parent and did his best.

"He and William will be tearing out what is left of their hair after Harry's latest outburst. There must now be serious doubt about whether Harry will come over to London for the unveiling of Diana's statue in July.

"The prospect of not being with his grandchildren - little Archie and the baby on the way - will make Charles very sad."

https://www.express.co.uk/news/roya...-latest-Queen-fury-Meghan-Markle-claims-video

Could Harry have not begun therapy when William suggested it, at say 28, continued it for a while then, for whatever reason (decided he didn’t need it any more, he felt the therapist had said all there was to say, or something else) and then started it again with another therapist when Meghan suggested it? It’s not necessarily contradictory or indicative of Harry lying.
Yes, and that is probably what did happen. But now his narrative does not include past therapy that his brother encouraged, it is now only since his relationship began with Meg.

If I were H and M, I wouldn’t hold my breaths... much as the BRF loves Harry, they clearly don’t think they’re in the wrong, so even if they were inclined to make public apologies, they wouldn’t in this case. Harry probably thinks that if he keeps adding fuel to the fire that eventually Charles’ desire to reconcile will be so strong that he’ll throw as much water as he can to put out the fire. Not so. I think H has underestimated the BRF’s strength and determination.

By the time the updated Finding Freedom comes out, I don’t think anyone (relatively speaking) will care. I think H is very close to hitting the point of diminishing returns.
I hope he hits it soon. It's going to be the best for everyone, Meghan and him included. Once they realize they have exhausted all their resources, they might turn their energy into something productive.

I'm not their biggest fan but there are two children to consider. I don't think the constant self-pity from both of them makes for the best family environment. Honestly, I got a little sad hearing that "Grandma Diana" was one of Archie's first words. Doria is right there and she's been long trotted out as the loving counter weight to the heartless Windsors but she has outlasted her usefulness, it seems. She's the best childminder ever but we'll be talking ad nauseam to the child about the one who isn't here. I hope he only said to to outshine the Cambridge kids and their Mother Day card. It can't be healthy to raise a child under a picture of their late grandmother who has been dead twice the time you knew her alive. And that's without going into the whole using Diana thing that Harry has been heavily involved into.

Shoot their arrows and put an end. It isn't good for anyone but I think it's worst for them. I don't for a moment believe they're as happy and content as they are trying to make us believe.

Last edited:

It's not the diminishing returns that is striking a bit of fear in my heart for Harry but a sinking feeling that once the attention and the adulation and the sense that people are agog to hear him tell his stories that it'll be then he will hit what is called "rock bottom". This is when he'll really need someone to listen to him and a good support system. Sometimes though it takes hitting a rock bottom to realize that the only way from there is up and changes start to be made. I also have a problem somewhat with references to Harry's addiction. Using alcohol and drugs to "escape" doesn't necessarily mean an addiction but a crutch. The only person that can claim an addiction is the addict themselves. No one else makes that diagnosis for him. Only Harry knows how much of a problem alcohol or drugs have been in his life. Addiction is a serious problem all by itself and it doesn't necessarily point to poor mental health either but can be a symptom of poor mental health. It's a tricky area left to professionals.

As far as Harry's programs that have already aired so far, I noticed yesterday that there was someone on Facebook that asked the question "Am I the only one that didn't watch the Harry and Meghan interview?" The responses (a lot of them) surprised me. No, they didn't watch the actual interview but knew what was in it and what was said because it was impossible to miss the feedback after the interview aired and none of the opinions given were in favor of the Sussexes.

Now, perhaps we're going to have a period of quiet from Harry and Meghan. Until their daughter is born and then to find out just how Harry chooses to handle the unveiling of Diana's statue at KP on July 1st.

Question - how did he get through the army mental checks? He was 10 year in the army that is 5 mental checks - if not more during active service?

I hope he hits it soon. It's going to be the best for everyone, Meghan and him included. Once they realize they have exhausted all their resources, they might turn their energy into something productive.

I'm not their biggest fan but there are two children to consider. I don't think the constant self-pity from both of them makes for the best family environment. Honestly, I got a little sad hearing that "Grandma Diana" was one of Archie's first words. Doria is right there and she's been long trotted out as the loving counter weight to the heartless Windsors but she has outlasted her usefulness, it seems. She's the best childminder ever but we'll be talking ad nauseam to the child about the one who isn't here. I hope he only said to to outshine the Cambridge kids and their Mother Day card. It can't be healthy to raise a child under a picture of their late grandmother who has been dead twice the time you knew her alive. And that's without going into the whole using Diana thing that Harry has been heavily involved into.

Shoot their arrows and put an end. It isn't good for anyone but I think it's worst for them. I don't for a moment believe they're as happy and content as they are trying to make us believe.

I feel sorry for Archie and baby girl Sussex because they are going to likely grow up not knowing their very Royal relatives. Sadly, it’s possible that they’ll never know their great-grandmother and grandfather... There’s no way they won’t be curious about their relatives, and so we’ll see if they resent their parents for keeping them from them...if that happens.

Question - how did he get through the army mental checks? He was 10 year in the army that is 5 mental checks - if not more during active service?

My guess would be that while Harry was on active duty, it was a totally different world for him and a totally different mindset to go along with that. The "royal" life was far, far away and remote as his job and his duties and working with his comrades in arms were the top priority and he was just 'one of the guys". It was a time in his life that he seemed to really appreciate and felt he "fit in". That is shown by his passionate involvement in organizations and causes to support those in the military that came back to civilian life with physical or mental problems. I will never doubt his sincerity in his work he's done for veterans and returning service personnel all over the world. That's the Harry I admire and I really hope that Harry is still in there somewhere.

I feel sorry for Archie and baby girl Sussex because they are going to likely grow up not knowing their very Royal relatives. Sadly, it’s possible that they’ll never know their great-grandmother and grandfather... There’s no way they won’t be curious about their relatives, and so we’ll see if they resent their parents for keeping them from them...if that happens.

I this doesn't happen. I don't think it will happen completely. I don't see Harry or Meghan missing events like the Jubilee and the coronations. How they will be received is another matter.

It may not come to that. There are wounds being opened right now between family members but I want to stay positive and believe that, in time, wounds can heal. For all we know, in the years to come, as the wounds heal, the relationships between family members could be even stronger than they were before. Right now it doesn't look very possible but there's hope.

It’s the N.Y. Post, but still, this reporter gets it just right. I could comment on any and all of this, but I’ll specifically do so on the part I bolded. Harry blathers on about how Meghan has been mistreated, but she was invited to stay at Sandringham even though she and H weren’t engaged. Charles stepped in for Thomas and walked M down the aisle, something that meant a great deal to H and M. This is a family that warmly welcomed M and, in fact, at least early on, she embraced them. She even encouraged H to bond with his father. Something went wrong - and I believe it’s that both Harry and Meghan couldn’t deal with the fact that, as loved and cared about and valued as they were, they were on a different plane than the Cambridges.

It was only, like, a year and a half ago that Harry and Meghan flounced out of Buckingham Palace, huffing their grievances all the way to a $14 million Montecito mansion despite the royal family’s blessing. We do recall.

Yet in this Apple TV+ series, Harry claims that his critics — by which he means the tabloid press who he believes exploited and killed his mother — must be psychotically damaged to find fault with him.

Who’s commodifying Diana now?

But by all means, Harry, please keep talking — out of both sides of your mouth, as is your wont, begging for privacy from the media while becoming an active player in the media.

Harkles, thy name is hypocrisy.

So Harry’s back to share more details of how terrible a father Prince Charles was, bequeathing him “genetic pain,” and how his entire family cared nothing for his unhappiness, let alone his future wife’s — despite fast-tracking Meghan into the fold and throwing a $45 million wedding.

America, strap yourselves into this feedback loop. We’re in it for now, even though Harry hasn’t realized that self-pity really isn’t in the American DNA. Unlike a little thing called the First Amendment, one of our most valued protections — which Harry last week called “bonkers” and something “I don’t understand.”

..:

We are watching an overgrown child throw an epic tantrum, and the point is unclear. Does Harry want to bring down the royal family? Prove he has something worth contributing? Does he even know what he wants?

One thing is clear: He’s profoundly tone deaf, and a course correction seems unlikely. Even Harry would have to admit the royals did one thing well: Their carefully crafted image of Harry — military man, good with kids, the lighthearted prince with a charitable soul — was far superior to this one

https://nypost.com/2021/05/22/princ...-his-hypocrisy/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

It's not the diminishing returns that is striking a bit of fear in my heart for Harry but a sinking feeling that once the attention and the adulation and the sense that people are agog to hear him tell his stories that it'll be then he will hit what is called "rock bottom". This is when he'll really need someone to listen to him and a good support system. Sometimes though it takes hitting a rock bottom to realize that the only way from there is up and changes start to be made. I also have a problem somewhat with references to Harry's addiction. Using alcohol and drugs to "escape" doesn't necessarily mean an addiction but a crutch. The only person that can claim an addiction is the addict themselves. No one else makes that diagnosis for him. Only Harry knows how much of a problem alcohol or drugs have been in his life. Addiction is a serious problem all by itself and it doesn't necessarily point to poor mental health either but can be a symptom of poor mental health. It's a tricky area left to professionals.

As far as Harry's programs that have already aired so far, I noticed yesterday that there was someone on Facebook that asked the question "Am I the only one that didn't watch the Harry and Meghan interview?" The responses (a lot of them) surprised me. No, they didn't watch the actual interview but knew what was in it and what was said because it was impossible to miss the feedback after the interview aired and none of the opinions given were in favor of the Sussexes.

Now, perhaps we're going to have a period of quiet from Harry and Meghan. Until their daughter is born and then to find out just how Harry chooses to handle the unveiling of Diana's statue at KP on July 1st.

Diminishing returns are already happening to a degree...but actually I just think that the vast, vast, vast majority of Americans simply don’t care one way or the other about the Royals. Oprah on CBS was like a unicorn - some people on Twitter got angry, but they went back to doing their usual thing and that’s been it for them as far as Harry and Meghan go. Harry has made a point to reject his family, so he’ll have to rely on M and his celebrity pals to see him through any rough times.

The July 1 ceremony will be interesting....and probably awkward.

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm guessing being a royal helped a lot in that department. Someone else commented on twitter that they wouldn't let anyone else with a drug problem into the cockpit of an Apache. He apparently also got let out a lot more than regular officers for polo etc.

Once Dannatt told him it was time to knuckle down and actually decide if he wanted to be a career soldier and follow the proper career ladder he folded and quit.

My guess would be that while Harry was on active duty, it was a totally different world for him and a totally different mindset to go along with that. The "royal" life was far, far away and remote as his job and his duties and working with his comrades in arms were the top priority and he was just 'one of the guys". It was a time in his life that he seemed to really appreciate and felt he "fit in". That is shown by his passionate involvement in organizations and causes to support those in the military that came back to civilian life with physical or mental problems. I will never doubt his sincerity in his work he's done for veterans and returning service personnel all over the world. That's the Harry I admire and I really hope that Harry is still in there somewhere.

But he's said that he was heavily boozing and doing hard drugs during the time frame he was on actual duty, although probably not whilst he was deployed. Sure he wouldn't be the only one but he would have failed drug tests which usually means you're kaput.

I didn't used to doubt his sincerity in working with veterans but yesterday's whining about going to Nepal where he was specifically requested to go because of his serving and being protected by the Gurkhas throws doubt on that. He didn't have to get specific about which tours he didn't want to go on but he complained about the one that was to help his comrades in trouble and to celebrate 200 years of the Gurkha regiments.

Last edited:
If there was any indication he was on drugs in Afghanistan he would not have been flying an Apache helicopter , regardless of his name or family.
Once again the stories do not tally.

“You cannot keep birds from flying over your head, but you can keep them from building a nest in your hair.”
Martin Luther

This whole sad and confusing story has surely ‘built a nest’ in the hair of many.

I am starting to wonder whether Harry is doing these interviews to convince himself -probably more so than the public- of how bad his previous life was (by painting a very different and inaccurate picture) as a way to justify giving up his royal life for a move to the States that doesn't seem to have worked out the way they expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom