The Duke & Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 2: December 2020-March 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a pretty demanning article from Rebecca English.
There are parts of it which actually support theories and points I, and others- not just here- had raised and alluded to before, but as it is a mental health theory I won't go into details (I don't want this comment to be deleted- unless the mods give me the go ahead to expend?).

I'll just say that the below quote is a major alarm for me because it is bang on behavior wise.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-inside-story-fairytale-turned-nightmare.html

Thanks for posting. I am interested in the reference to helping Thomas Markle fly out of Mexico and finding a private place for him to go before the wedding:

Often these were things that were far beyond the scope of their normal work – in one case being instructed to make plans for her father Thomas to be flown from his home in Mexico before the wedding and taken to a fully-stocked 'safe house' in LA for a few days in order to fool any waiting media.

It doesn't seem unreasonable that Meghan assumed that the staff would help her with this. Perhaps it wasn't within the normal scope of the person she asked but any issues should have been resolved by referring her to the correct person.

This is a pretty demanning article from Rebecca English.
There are parts of it which actually support theories and points I, and others- not just here- had raised and alluded to before, but as it is a mental health theory I won't go into details (I don't want this comment to be deleted- unless the mods give me the go ahead to expend?).

I'll just say that the below quote is a major alarm for me because it is bang on behavior wise.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-inside-story-fairytale-turned-nightmare.html

I think one of the things for me is that all the royal reporters seem to be yeah we knew about this to a certain extent. That they all talk about the staff being exhausted and miserable.

Also the various descriptions of Meghan's behaviour is consistent and very much in line with patterns of behaviour I have seen in others.

[.....]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for posting. I am interested in the reference to helping Thomas Markle fly out of Mexico and finding a private place for him to go before the wedding:

It doesn't seem unreasonable that Meghan assumed that the staff would help her with this. Perhaps it wasn't within the normal scope of the person she asked but any issues should have been resolved by referring her to the correct person.

I don't think booking him a flight or even renting a house was unreasonable; I think it was rather the expectation that staff should participate in a scheme to "fool" the media. The palace either comments on matters or they don't, I don't think they usually go around "fooling" the media and making them believe that a person is in one place when they're actually in another.

It's ridiculous really and I do think the palace realizes that it's not a great idea to do that. It would likely get out in the end and once they realized they were "fooled" by the palace, certain media outlets would only snoop more and question the veracity whenever the palace tells them that a person is here or there.
For instance, the Palace says, "HM the Queen is at Windsor."
Media: "Is she really or are we just being "fooled" again?"

So does Meghan still have the earrings now ? If so, she is in possession of Crown property that should have been returned.

I just read somewhere that there is also an issue of her receiving freebies from designers and her staff has warned Meghan that doing so was breaching royal protocol so, maybe that's how the relationship between Meghan and staff turned sour

I don't think booking him a flight or even renting a house was unreasonable; I think it was rather the expectation that staff should participate in a scheme to "fool" the media. The palace either comments on matters or they don't, I don't think they usually go around "fooling" the media and making them believe that a person is in one place when they're actually in another.

It's ridiculous really and I do think the palace realizes that it's not a great idea to do that. It would likely get out in the end and once they realized they were "fooled" by the palace, certain media outlets would only snoop more and question the veracity whenever the palace tells them that a person is here or there.
For instance, the Palace says, "HM the Queen is at Windsor."
Media: "Is she really or are we just being "fooled" again?"

Thank you. Your explanation makes sense. However, if I had been Meghan, I wouldn't have thought about that. I am not sure why the employee was that upset by the request.

Thank you. Your explanation makes sense. However, if I had been Meghan, I wouldn't have thought about that. I am not sure why the employee was that upset by the request.

Yes, of the allegations against her, this really isn't one of the worrying ones. But I do think staff had to gently tell her no a lot, and she did not take kindly to that.

Based on this article and other things we have heard, possible examples are subjects she wasn't supposed to talk about, jewelry she wasn't supposed to wear, free clothes for advertising purposes she wasn't supposed to accept, occasions where she was expected to wear a hat etc.

My personal belief is that Meghan, an intelligent and mature woman with a degree in International Relations, willingly took on a diplomatic role but was never willing to act like a diplomat.

It could simply be that this was far out of the normal purview of whoever was being asked to do this, which is what this part of the article was talking about. Say for example they're on the communications team and they're being asked to manage Mr Markle in a way that they didn't feel was appropriate. Not just co ordinate with him but potentially act as a combined spy agency/care giver. Like a boss who tries orders their PA to go to parent-teacher conferences or something. It was originally said that Harry had organised for an old colleague to help Mr Markle out.

It's definitely not the most serious allegation. That would be the suggestion that working for the Sussexes may have given people actual PTSD and that this was well known by the royal rota and the palace, who far from throwing Meghan to the wolves, covered up for her.

In fact if any of this is in the slightest bit true it seems that far from getting no support, Meghan received a lot of support, just not what she wanted to hear.

And lets be clear a toxic working environment doesn't just look bad on Harry and Meghan it also looks bad on "The Institution" so I'm not sure what the upside to the palace leaking this would be.

Last edited:
So far none of the allegation revealed has been what I perceives as "bullying" but what one views is different than the other. That is why it is important to have the complete facts on all sides. Was the disrespect thrown both sides? These questions should be asked.

Will be interesting to see how it is handled.

So far none of the allegation revealed has been what I perceives as "bullying" but what one views is different than the other. That is why it is important to have the complete facts on all sides. Was the disrespect thrown both sides? These questions should be asked.

Will be interesting to see how it is handled.

And there has been no stated list of instances. What has appeared is an email discussing it. He hasn't listed point one, two, three in it like he was giving evidence in court. He is saying he is concerned about what is going on. If someone, as in the investigators who look into it, interview the relevant people then they will receive particulars. And that is the space for people to have their voice heard.

I doubt Harry and Meghan's could bare hearing a blow by blow account.

Let harry have his momment in the sun because it wont happen again not like this. They could do follow interviews but it wont be on this scale.

I agree with this. The only way Harry and Meghan can turn this into an ongoing issue is if they have damaging stories about members of TRF and are willing to make them public. I don’t think they’ll go that far and the people who make up the core of the working Royal Family aren’t especially vulnerable anyway. The Queen and DoE are as close to sacrosanct as two mortals can get. William and Kate are solid and we haven’t heard any rumours of private behaviour that they couldn’t recover from if it was made public. Charles has a lot of baggage but we’ve heard it all before.

The Royal Family has gone out of its way several times now to emphasize Harry, Meghan and Archie are loved and remain important parts of the family. I think they should continue to make that clear whenever it’s appropriate. It leaves the door open for the personal relationships to settle down at some point. Beyond that they should continue to say nothing, especially now with the bullying issue being investigated.

Here is a taste of how some of the US media is reacting the news. I have been watching a lot of the shows and such and... well this seems to be pretty consistent.

The Royal Family has gone out of its way several times now to emphasize Harry, Meghan and Archie are loved and remain important parts of the family. I think they should continue to make that clear whenever it’s appropriate. It leaves the door open for the personal relationships to settle down at some point. Beyond that they should continue to say nothing, especially now with the bullying issue being investigated.

I doubt they will name anyone specifically and will speak in broad terms. Overall I agree with your statement that once this is done that a time out will need to happen. Cool off and start the healing process.

Here is a taste of how some of the US media is reacting the news. I have been watching a lot of the shows and such and... well this seems to be pretty consistent.

I doubt they will name anyone specifically and will speak in broad terms. Overall I agree with your statement that once this is done that a time out will need to happen. Cool off and start the healing process.

The View clip is appallingly inaccurate. If that is what is believed in the USA. Best of luck to Harry and Meghan

Agreed, they wont point fingers at HM or Charles, but they will say things as like they/firm/aides. Besides they need to tote those video calls with HM/Charles, and coming off as still close family members.^_- Joking

Last edited:

Not at all surprised by the clip. For those unfamiliar the show is made up of fairly left leaning ladies who come from various backgrounds (actors, comedians, politics etc).

Of course the vast majority of Americans care nothing about Monarchies. Those watching the Oprah interview will do so because Harry is Dianas’ son (we like rebels here) and/or because Meghan is an American, a lot of folks are aware of her now and find their story interesting.

LaRae

The View clip is appallingly inaccurate. If that is what is believed in the USA. Best of luck to Harry and Meghan

Well those four were well informed & objective weren't they.:D

The Guardian (Left-leaning, republican/anti-monarchist and mostly pro-Sussexes) suggested that Buckingham Palace did not contact Harry and Meghan about the bullying inquiry. The publication also go further to mentioned that Harry & Meghan would not be involved in the investigation. Instead, the investigation itself would focus more on past or present royal staff. The Guardian article itself contains some content on the Oprah interview, as well as from The Times interview.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have yet to be contacted by Buckingham Palace after it announced it would launch an investigation into allegations of bullying by the duchess, the Guardian understands.

Harry and Meghan will not be personally involved in the investigation as they are no longer part of the royal household, but the Los-Angeles based couple are understood to be hoping to hear details of what the process will entail.

The stark illustration of how far apart the sides are came when it emerged that the Duchess of Sussex had said she could not be expected to remain silent about her experiences of palace life if the royal family was “perpetuating falsehoods” about her and Harry. Dismissing the consequences of speaking out, Meghan said a lot had “been lost already”.

(...)

It also emerged that the palace is just as much in the dark about the interview as any member of the British public waiting to see it. The Sussexes themselves are understood not to have received any “final cut” from the producers.

The interview was recorded before claims were published in the Times this week that the duchess had allegedly bullied former royal staff, leaving some of them in tears and driving two of them out of their palace roles.

The claims centred on an email sent by the couple’s former communications chief Jason Knauf in October 2018 – five months after the couple’s wedding – reportedly in an attempt to force Buckingham Palace to protect staff, the Times said.

Buckingham Palace has ordered an unprecedented investigation into the claims, believed to be the first such inquiry into the alleged actions of a senior royal, and has stressed it does not tolerate bullying.

Past and present employees will be invited to speak in confidence about their experiences of working for Meghan, after it was alleged she humiliated staff on several occasions and “destroyed” one, while another was left in tears.

Harry and Meghan will not be part of the process. The palace hopes to start the investigation as soon as possible and will report any changes to procedures that might result at a later time.

Buckingham Palace yet to contact Sussexes about bullying inquiry
Meghan and Harry will not be involved in investigation, announced just before Oprah Winfrey interview
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...cted-about-buckingham-palace-bullying-inquiry

Not sure if this is the correct thread but an interesting story out of Manila over "Archewell deodorant."

https://coconuts.co/manila/news/fil...harry-meghan-markle-over-archewell-deodorant/

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are reportedly going after a small-time Filipino businessman for using the word “Archewell” on one of his products, but the said entrepreneur has vowed that he would fight the couple “to the death.”
Cobblestone Lane LLC, which represents the couple, is going after a certain Victor Martin Soriano, to dispute his decision to name his powdered deodorant (AKA “tawas”) “Archewell Harvatera.” Soriano filed for a trademark application for the brand in July 2020 and learned four months later about Cobblestone’s opposition to his plan. Cobblestone also asked the Intellectual Property Office of the Philippines for “additional time to notarize and apostille the documents” in the United States and have these sent to Manila.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex own a non-profit foundation called Archewell, named after their son Archie Mountbatten-Windsor. They filed for trademarks for the term “Archewell” in the United Kingdom, the U.S., and the European Union. But this didn’t deter Soriano, who even came up with choreography for Archewell Harvatera deodorant.

You Gov UK's question of the day.

When it comes to the dispute between the Royal Family and the Duke and Duchess of Sussex (Harry and Meghan), with whom do your sympathies mostly lie?
The Queen and members of the Royal Family 38%
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex (Harry and Meghan) 18%
Neither 30%
Both 7%
Don?t know 7%

I'll be honest, I think that this is just plain nasty and has gotten out of hand on all sides. If the reports are true Meghan's behavior sounds difficult and demanding, but I guarantee you that she's not the first nor the last difficult and demanding member of that family, but you never heard publicly about any "investigations" being done about anyone else. It does make you wonder- was this behavior REALLY bullying or is it yet more racism and classism coming into play?

And then on the Sussex end, I wish that they would just sit back and focus on all of the good work that they can do through Archewell and other projects. They have only made themselves look petty, whiny, ungrateful, dramatic, and litigious and it is NOT a good look.

Thank you TLLK for providing the YouGov poll results.

Here is the link to the poll results including all types of category breakdown
https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politic...edium=daily_questions&utm_campaign=question_1

I would recommend people going through each category (i.e. Region, Gender, Politics, Age and Social grade) to see how divided the opinions are despite an overall higher percentage (not majority as in more than 50%) of sympathy towards The Queen and members of the Royal Family. The most obvious ones are politics and age groups

It is also important to note that this poll has more options compared to previous polls on royal family (i.e. 5 options instead of 3)

Last edited:

A third not sympathetic to either party. Interesting.

Only a fifth sympathetic to the Sussexes. Well that's pretty catastrophic really. Presumably the figures are reversed in the USA? Not that that's of any concern to British people of course.

In two further polls, about half of the British population believe the press are overly critical of the duchess & the couple have seen an improvement in their popularity.

On the other hand the poll was taken before the reports of bullying by the duchess & by the fact that the duke had made it known that he didn't want the matter pursued.

Thank you TLLK for providing the YouGov poll results.

Here is the link to the poll results including all types of category breakdown
https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politic...edium=daily_questions&utm_campaign=question_1

I would recommend people going through each category (i.e. Region, Gender, Politics, Age and Social grade) to see how divided the opinions are despite an overall higher percentage (not majority as in more than 50%) of sympathy towards The Queen and members of the Royal Family. The most obvious ones are politics and age groups

It is also important to note that this poll has more options compared to previous polls on royal family (i.e. 5 options instead of 3)

Drilling down is always interesting. The one thing it doesn't tell us of course is the percentages by monarchists or at least those who are content with the status quo. We can make an educated guess that the more republican minded are more likely to be sympathetic to the Sussexes. What that tells us further I'm not sure.

Janet Street-Porter is no fan of Meghan yet she writes in her defense.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...an-Meghan-dont-believe-bossy-makes-bully.html

----

Also one of Meghan's close friends speaks out.

I have known Meghan for 17 years.
Here’s what she is: kind, strong, open. Here’s what she’s not: “a bully”.
ANY of us who know her, feel the same thing from her broken silence: Relief.
The truth shall set you free.

---

Also her BFF Lindsay

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMA0uX-HaGX/

Last edited:
I hope after this interview they can close this door, they will have a chance to speak about the situation, get it off their chest and move fully into the next phase of their life. Occasional returns to the UK if desired. I want to see them leave all this drama behind.

I echo your hope Pranter. Also I would like to see this interview brings them some closure on that episode in their lives.

As we've seen before elections, opinion polls can mean anything or nothing (although the results sound reasonably accurate to me - few people have any sympathy with Harry and Meghan), but the phrasing of the question is telling - this is being seen as a dispute with the Queen, Prince Charles, Prince William and all the other Royals on one side, and Harry and Meghan on the other.

I think that's the way most people see it.

Is this what Harry wants? To be at war with his relations? Not forgetting the fact that they're already at war with Thomas Markle? It's all very sad, especially for Archie and the new baby.

Drilling down is always interesting. The one thing it doesn't tell us of course is the percentages by monarchists or at least those who are content with the status quo. We can make an educated guess that the more republican minded are more likely to be sympathetic to the Sussexes. What that tells us further I'm not sure.

I would also like YouGov to have a separate category of "support of the monarchy" (i.e. Monarchist or Republican), but then there has not been a referendum on who should be the head of state of UK. The occurrence of important referendum could be the reason why "Leave" and "Remain" continues to be options of political category even though UK had already left the EU.

I think you made a very good assumption that republicans are more likely to support the Sussexes than the Queen and Royal Family. But then there is Kevin Maguire (Associate editor of Daily Mirror) and some contributors of the Daily Mirror (left-wing tabloid), who supports neither sides and mentioned along the lines of "The drama/conflict between Harry & Meghan and Royal Family is a great narrative for the Republican cause".

Last edited:
Janet Street-Porter is no fan of Meghan yet she writes in her defense.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...an-Meghan-dont-believe-bossy-makes-bully.html

----

Also one of Meghan's close friends speaks out.

I have known Meghan for 17 years.
Here’s what she is: kind, strong, open. Here’s what she’s not: “a bully”.
ANY of us who know her, feel the same thing from her broken silence: Relief.
The truth shall set you free.

---

Also her BFF Lindsay

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMA0uX-HaGX/

Yea... that's how it always is, hence why those closest to the bully, or on the same level at work, have a hard time believing this 'amazing, kind, sweet etc etc," person they know is a bully.

[...]

Yea... that's how it always is, hence why those closest to the bully, or on the same level at work, have a hard time believing this 'amazing, kind, sweet etc etc," person they know is a bully.

[...]

Or abusers. In fact it is a sad fact that many abused and bullied people are the ones left with nothing. People who perpetrate these things are often the most charmi g and wonderful and popular. No one said life was fair.

Or abusers. In fact it is a sad fact that many abused and bullied people are the ones left with nothing. People who perpetrate these things are often the most charmi g and wonderful and popular. No one said life was fair.

I figured it was a given I was referencing all types of abuse and abusers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom