The Duke & Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 2: December 2020-March 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL. Most of the royals have been relatively okay with the Netflix production of The Crown, until Season 4. Even then, reportedly some of them still watch the series.

Also, David Attenborough's recent environmental documentary debuted on Netflix, and it's been enthusiastically promoted and supported by the Cambridges. ?

Personally wouldn't compare the two Netflix productions considering that one is a a non-fiction nature documentary with the other being a historic drama series that's gained a reputation for being creative with the history on which the scripts are based. I have to wonder if Prince Harry is aware of the creative license that the Crown has taken with his family's history? Perhaps he simply didn't know the real truth. Anyhow, considering that Netflix is providing him with a lucrative deal perhaps that explains his response during the interview.

While that might be true regarding them being "relatively okay," I would imagine that Prince Phillip, his wife and children were probably very uncomfortable with some of the Crown's story line that regarding the death of his sister Cecile and her family. Depicting Prince Andrew of Greece blaming Phillip for the death of his daughter and her family. was quite simply lying about the circumstances of a tragedy. Reportedly Phillip has never watched an episode, but he's aware of how he was depicted. And IMHO it's quite cruel especially when it came to death of his family members.

https://www.insider.com/moments-in-the-crown-that-didnt-happen-real-life-2020-3

Last edited:
Personally wouldn't compare the two Netflix productions considering that one is a a non-fiction nature documentary with the other being a historic drama series that's gained a reputation for being creative with the history on which the scripts are based. I have to wonder if Prince Harry is aware of the creative license that the Crown has taken with his family's history? Perhaps he simply didn't know the real truth. Anyhow, considering that Netflix is providing him with a lucrative deal perhaps that explains his response during the interview.

While that might be true regarding them being "relatively okay," I would imagine that Prince Phillip, his wife and children were probably very uncomfortable with some of the Crown's story line that regarding the death of his sister Cecile and her family. Depicting Prince Andrew of Greece blaming Phillip for the death of his daughter and her family. was quite simply lying about the circumstances of a tragedy. Reportedly Phillip has never watched an episode, but he's aware of how he was depicted. And IMHO it's quite cruel especially when it came to death of his family members.

https://www.insider.com/moments-in-the-crown-that-didnt-happen-real-life-2020-3

I think he is rather self involved comment. There were plenty of hurtful things towards his father in season 4 as well. Towards many of them.

I think he has only seen the first couple of seasons which foes deal with the effect of duty on The Queen.

Basically he doesn't care beyond himself. The .media have torn and continue to tear many of his family apart.

Considering that Harry's grandfather is in hospital and his grandmother the same day went public urging the Britons to become vaccinated, I must confess that I am less than impressed with the timing of this interview.

Not least since he is mainly talking about himself and his... well, plight... within the BRF and him merrily adjusting to a life in USA.

There really is no need to jam his bigtoes up the barrels of the biggest shotgun he could find and pull the trigger.
Again, H&M's PR-handling is amateurish.

Considering that Harry's grandfather is in hospital and his grandmother the same day went public urging the Britons to become vaccinated, I must confess that I am less than impressed with the timing of this interview.

Not least since he is mainly talking about himself and his... well, plight... within the BRF and him merrily adjusting to a life in USA.

There really is no need to jam his bigtoes up the barrels of the biggest shotgun he could find and pull the trigger.
Again, H&M's PR-handling is amateurish.

The interview with Corden was done weeks ago, he had no control over when it was released.

This James Corden interview led me to a rabbit hole of stories about him that now I seriously hope he and Harry are not actually friends because the former seems like a piece of work.

If you're curious just google "James Corden Reddit AMA."

When talking about the toxic press coverage, he said ".... seeing stories written about my family, or my wife, or myself ..."; so he didn't limit his family to his wife and child.

Thanks - I stand corrected. I still have huge beef with him being ok with the Crown considering the hatchet job it’s doing on his father.

The interview with Corden was done weeks ago, he had no control over when it was released.

That's the point.

No control.

Even the most incompetent PR manager in the world couldn't have handled this any worse.
It's one thing to make what is basically a lighthearted YouTube portrait of himself - in the middle of a pandemic, and while Britain (and not least USA) is still in various stages of lockdown, for heavens sake - it's another thing to release it to be aired at... whenever.
I presume this is intended (and hoped) to be a nice little precursor to the Oprah interview.
The topic is off the mark as well. Apart from talking about the split form the BRF, which would be most interesting in its own right, Harry is cruising through, what is it? Bel Air? Obviously oblivious to the fact that millions of Britons will never be able to remotely relate to that life and who are presently struggling with loss of jobs, vaccines, lockdowns the aftermath and adjustment to Brexit and so on.

A number of thoughts go through my head:
Don't H&M follow the news in Britain at all?!?
Haven't they got a clue?
Can't they imagine how this might be perceived in Britain? (I find this in poor taste and I'm not even British.)

The next line of thought is that this was not aimed at the British audience at all, but the American audience. If so, can't they see that most Americans likely don't care? For the very simple reason that the average American has other things on their minds right now.
Don't they turn on the news once in a while?
IMO he doesn't come across as serious, so why should the viewers take him seriously?
Have they written off Britain as a "lost cause" from a PR point of view?

That leads me to the third line of thought:
That this may be indicative to the way the Oprah interview is angled. In other words: It's a supplement to the Oprah interview in a weeks time.
I hope not, because then I'll have to put on my safety shoes, otherwise my toes will break the floorboards here at home.

Last edited:
I think he is rather self involved comment. There were plenty of hurtful things towards his father in season 4 as well. Towards many of them.

I think he has only seen the first couple of seasons which foes deal with the effect of duty on The Queen.

Basically he doesn't care beyond himself. The .media have torn and continue to tear many of his family apart.

The DoE's sister Cecilie was on her way to a family wedding when the plane crashed, killing her, her husband and three of their four children including an unborn son.

Prince Philip was only a boy of 15/16. The fact that Netflix could fabricate such a vicious lie from this horrible tragedy tells me all I need to know about that wretched, overrated series.

I will never tune in after reading this.

I understand why Philip will never sue but God...I wish he would.:ermm:

That's the point.

No control.

Even the most incompetent PR manager in the world couldn't have handled this any worse.
It's one thing to make what is basically a lighthearted YouTube portrait of himself - in the middle of a pandemic, and while Britain (and not least USA) is still in various stages of lockdown, for heavens sake - it's another thing to release it to be aired at... whenever.
I presume this is intended (and hoped) to be a nice little precursor to the Oprah interview.
The topic is off the mark as well. Apart from talking about the split form the BRF, which would be most interesting in its own right, Harry is cruising through, what is it? Bel Air? Obviously oblivious to the fact that millions of Britons will never be able to remotely relate to that life and who are presently struggling with loss of jobs, vaccines, lockdowns the aftermath and adjustment to Brexit and so on.

Haven't they got a clue?
Can't they imagine how this might be perceived in Britain? (I find this in poor taste and I'm not even British.)

The next line of thought is that this was not aimed at the British audience at all, but the American audience. If so, can't they see that most Americans likely don't care? For the very simple reason that the average American has other things on their minds right now.
IMO he doesn't come across as serious, so why should the viewers take him seriously?

That this may be indicative to the way the Oprah interview is angled. In other words: It's a supplement to the Oprah interview in a weeks time.
I hope not, because then I'll have to put on my safety shoes, otherwise my toes will break the floorboards here at home.

I don't know if it's because Sunshine Sachs is an American PR firm that doesn't know the royal way of doing things, but I feel that ever since they hired them, their PR has been on the decline. I don't know exactly why ELF quit, but it's obvious he did wonders to Harry's image after that Las Vegas incident.

That's the point.

No control.

Haven't they got a clue?

You are making way to much of this. It was a fun thing for Harry to join Corden on his program. You cannot see into the future and know Phillip will get sick or The Queen will be talking about Covid! You are holding him to an impossible standard! So he is to sit on his hands and avoid anything public because it might “interfere’ with what the BRF has going on?

Because millions of Britons (and Americans) are in various stages of lockdown (the US is much more opened up) ppl need to stop having fun? No form of escapism allowed? Evidently a lot of ppl are looking for something because the video clip had over 5 million views (just on one format) yesterday as I recall so someone somewhere is watching. You cannot expect Harry to live his life based on what happens in The UK. Plenty of ppl here have insisted he is not needed nor wanted there. So which is it?

We have no idea on the Oprah interview, my guess is those who look for negative things are gonna keep finding them. I will wait and see what actually is said and go from there.

LaRae

The DoE's sister Cecilie was on her way to a family wedding when the plane crashed, killing her, her husband and three of their four children including an unborn son.

Prince Philip was only a boy of 15/16. The fact that Netflix could fabricate such a vicious lie from this horrible tragedy tells me all I need to know about that wretched, overrated series.

I will never tune in after reading this.

I understand why Philip will never sue but God...I wish he would.:ermm:

Why would he sue? They don't and have resilience in dealing with what people think and say about them. I don't Philip cared. I dou t he cared a day in his life about what the media ever say or said.

Last edited:
Of course the Crown isn't completely accurate but it isn't a totally fictional piece either. It is based on real people and real events and much of what it contains came from first hand accounts from politicians , members of staff, family friends and, indeed, members of the BRF themselves from info they gave to biographers and interviewers etc. The last series seems to have made the family particuarly uncomfortable as it sheds a very negative light on Charles and Camilla but it is only dramatising what a lot of people know already. I suppose though things do look worse when acted out on screen as opposed to being written down.

Honestly I'm torn on this. It was nice to watch, Harry made sure to be seen as normal as one can be - older Iphone etc. but I did have a nice time. Timing during the pandemia might be off and overall I still have a issue it's more of a celebrity thing and gig . Not someone who still has all the titles because he was born with them and didn't resign/ask to be stripped of them. During every single one someone brings up the topic or royals or the crown. Harry is never enough.
We'll see Meghan on Oprah but I believe Harry is less calculated while Meghan - not her fault - was literally an actress and knows how to handle and court the press so it usually comes off as less genuine.
Overall, they seem happy and honestly Harry seems to prefer and is happier doing such interviews than cutting ribbons. Who know how long it'll last and what will become of him and his career. It'll be interesting to see. Especially since everyone still do ask him about the royals, the crown. He's Harry a prince.
Having said that he could as well be his happy Californian self without so much PR moves and it's only the beginning. I don't believe it's wrong to court the press but I see how some of my fave celebs are quiet now because it's so easy to get unnoticed but Harry chose to give interviews to those who adores him and knows him.
So I'm torn.

Last edited:
Of course the Crown isn't completely accurate but it isn't a totally fictional piece either. It is based on real people and real events and much of what it contains came from first hand accounts from politicians , members of staff, family friends and, indeed, members of the BRF themselves from info they gave to biographers and interviewers etc. The last series seems to have made the family particuarly uncomfortable as it sheds a very negative light on Charles and Camilla but it is only dramatising what a lot of people know already. I suppose though things do look worse when acted out on screen as opposed to being written down.

My impression of the Crown is that it is wildly inaccurate, about the queen, PHilip, etc etc.

You are making way to much of this. It was a fun thing for Harry to join Corden on his program. You cannot see into the future and know Phillip will get sick or The Queen will be talking about Covid! You are holding him to an impossible standard! So he is to sit on his hands and avoid anything public because it might “interfere’ with what the BRF has going on?

Because millions of Britons (and Americans) are in various stages of lockdown (the US is much more opened up) ppl need to stop having fun? No form of escapism allowed? Evidently a lot of ppl are looking for something because the video clip had over 5 million views (just on one format) yesterday as I recall so someone somewhere is watching. You cannot expect Harry to live his life based on what happens in The UK. Plenty of ppl here have insisted he is not needed nor wanted there. So which is it?

We have no idea on the Oprah interview, my guess is those who look for negative things are gonna keep finding them. I will wait and see what actually is said and go from there.

LaRae

I agree. It was lighthearted fun and based on a lot of the reactions, many enjoyed that escape. It has gone done very well for Harry and I assume CBS has also enjoyed the social media engagements it garnered. Nice lead up to Oprah for sure.

And honestly, I think the tone of his comments on the BRF just confirms that not much negativity will be thrown their way, no matter how much some think (or wish) it will.

This James Corden interview led me to a rabbit hole of stories about him that now I seriously hope he and Harry are not actually friends because the former seems like a piece of work.

If you're curious just google "James Corden Reddit AMA."
Presumably they are friends, as that's the excuse isn't it? They are great buddies and Harry's just being his jolly cheerful self with his old mate...

I thought Harry's video with James Corden ventured a bit close to Royal Knockout territory what with the Fresh Prince business. (That 1987 Royal Knockout TV program should be required viewing for H & M's PR team.) Harry and James were both charming, BTW. I just would have liked the interview to be less hokey. Meghan's Facetime cameo was sort of cloying.

The Sussexes want to be taken seriously as forces for good and positive societal change. They should be a bit more selective and treat their image as the premium brand it has the potential to be. Comedy bits and distracting clap-backs at BP press releases are not helping.

I thought Harry's video with James Corden ventured a bit close to Royal Knockout territory what with the Fresh Prince business. (That 1987 Royal Knockout TV program should be required viewing for H & M's PR team.) Harry and James were both charming, BTW. I just would have liked the interview to be less hokey. Meghan's Facetime cameo was sort of cloying.

The Sussexes want to be taken seriously as forces for good and positive societal change. They should be a bit more selective and treat their image as the premium brand it has the potential to be. Comedy bits and distracting clap-backs at BP press releases are not helping.

I wonder if anyone has suggested that they view a "Royal Knockout" to the couple and their PR team. (Actually it should be required viewing for all royals IMHO.) Prince Harry likely doesn't remember any of the fallout from the program because he was too young.

Maybe this is the future. Light entertainment sprinkled with anecdotes about his relatives? James Corden has a large presence on youtube & as is being clearly demonstrated can raise the duke's profile immensely. Corden's episode with Adele garnered over forty million views on youtube in five days.

How sustainable this sort of trivia would be in the long term though is unclear. There may well be a shelf life for this sort of thing.

It is all of course immensely vulgar & undignified but he isn't the first member of this royal family to be guilty of that particular sin. It's also not surprising that some get confused over the difference between celebrity & royalty when a royal prince behaves like a celebrity.

I fail to see how this upholds the values of The Queen as promised. It is a corruption & debasement of royalty.

Last edited:
Harry's interview with James Corben isn't the first to do something that is amusing rather than dead pan serious. Two of my very favorite clips are lighthearted and entertaining. One being Harry and his Granny doing a mic drop routing with the Obamas for the upcoming Invictus Games in the US and the other is the Queen as a "Bond Girl" skydiving into the opening games of the 2012 Olympic Games. They're memorable and that makes them stand out among the many, many videos and interviews we have from the BRF.

I'm perhaps a bit different too as how I saw the remark that Harry made in reference to the Crown. When you want to really accentuate how horrible the stories and reports about Harry and his family were for Harry to "stomach", you compare it to something that ranks right up there as being horrible too. He was saying as bad as the Crown was in representing the truth of his family and events, what they had to go through directed towards themselves was even harder to stomach.

All in all, I saw absolutely nothing to be up in arms about with this interview and to be honest, I can imagine the Queen sitting and watching it and grinning from ear to ear over Harry's antics and the things that he said. The Queen is known to have a sharp wit and a good sense of humor.

I still am picturing Philip "hanging up the phone" by closing the laptop. It's the logical way that people that have mostly always made phone calls would do it. :D

You are making way to much of this. It was a fun thing for Harry to join Corden on his program. You cannot see into the future and know Phillip will get sick or The Queen will be talking about Covid! You are holding him to an impossible standard! So he is to sit on his hands and avoid anything public because it might “interfere’ with what the BRF has going on? (1)

Because millions of Britons (and Americans) are in various stages of lockdown (the US is much more opened up) ppl need to stop having fun? No form of escapism allowed? (2) Evidently a lot of ppl are looking for something because the video clip had over 5 million views (just on one format) yesterday as I recall so someone somewhere is watching. You cannot expect Harry to live his life based on what happens in The UK. (3) Plenty of ppl here have insisted he is not needed nor wanted there. So which is it? (4)

LaRae

I've allowed myself to bold parts of your post and add numbers.

It's difficult to make predictions - especially about the future... ;)
You can however to some extent anticipate what can happen.
1 No, he is not to sit on his hands, and that's not what I was saying. What I am saying and I'll happily repeat it, is that H&M PR is off and unprofessional.
This video would have worked a year ago - perhaps. But it sure doesn't now. This is the Age of Corona, things have totally changed in so many ways.
A portrait of what is basically an ex-royal couple living a seemingly carefree, celebrity life in a world detached from ordinary people is off-key now.
I'm sure you remember the US celebs who posted about how it was to be "imprisoned" at home during lockdown, while posting from their luxurious mansions. That was off-key as well.
In other words: H&M have failed to adopt to a changed world in their PR strategy.
It's like it hasn't dawned on them that the world is different now.

What is it they want?
Do they want to be reality stars? Then this sort of portraits works - perhaps.
Or do they want to be considered serious philanthropists? - In which case such a video doesn't work. Or at best it's a minor, repeat minor, addition to who H&M are as persons, not their work.
So why not show Harry helping in soup kitchens? Why not show Harry driving through the abandoned industrial areas of Detroit? Why not show Harry listening to minority representatives? Why not show Harry talk about the environment, recycling, wildlife preservation, sustainable energy solutions etc.?
Where is the genuinely concerned Harry?

That's where a professional PR agency would and should have gone in and said: You are so not going down that road!

(2)
Of course people should be allowed to have some lighthearted entertainment. In fact it's absolutely crucial in times of crisis!
But that's not H&M's job, if they wish to be taken seriously.
H&M's job right now are not to win over their fans, they are already on their side and will likely remain so. It's everybody else they have to impress. Certainly if they wish for their plans of Archewell and "serving in general" to take off.

(3)
I certainly can!
If Harry (and Meghan) keeps having problems as to whether they are royals or not, and whether they work for or as an indirect extension of the BRF and they themselves can't let go of the circumstances as to how and why they left the BRF. (At least for the present time.) I (or rather the British) can hold them accountable for what they say and do.

(4)
Exactly!
What are they? Fowl or fish?
Where do they want to go? Where is their master plan? Do they even have one? Like everybody else they have been stuck at home for extended periods, surely they have discussed, investigated and planned for alternatives.
Plan A: We are members of the BRF, but working on our own, didn't work.
Plan B: We are members of the BRF, but working on our own, earning our own income on among other things being royals, didn't work either.
Plan C: Then we will sort of become philanthropists and kinda be global role models in some way, you know... - Well, so far that hasn't been too convincing either IMO.

Last edited:
(snip)

I still am picturing Philip "hanging up the phone" by closing the laptop. It's the logical way that people that have mostly always made phone calls would do it. :D

I laughed at that bit! I could really relate. I have participated in several Zoom sessions and I have had trouble ending them because they don't always disconnect when you press the exit button. I think that in future I will simply "hang up" like Philip does. :D

I used to be a huge fan of theirs....
I really tried to watch that Corden thing from YTube but I had to stop.
I was embarrassed for them.... The whole thing was ridiculous and I cringed.
I felt that he was trying to look likeable, funny and "just like us".
Utterly embarassing.
Maybe some people liked it, tastes differ.....

After watching the full video, I have to agree with some posters here that I found the whole thing "cringey". I personally not a fan of James Corden and certainly not keen on his carpool karaoke series. To me, Harry is almost airing personal details or even dirty laundry for the sake of entertainment. Yes, Royal Family members have talk about their personal life, but only as a side note or example for charity works/causes/campaign (E.g. The Earl of Wessex briefly talked about Lady Louise Windsor and James, Viscount Severn's online learning in an interview about Duke of Edinburgh award scheme and other non-academic programs during the pandemic). The morning/afternoon tea segment is also embarrassing to say the least, especially when the trolley crashed at the turn of traffic.

Harry mentioning public services just once again confirm that Harry is missing the point about serving the UK (& the British public) and not knowing the difference between philanthropy and duty to serve his own country (i.e. public services). Since the interview is filmed before the palace's announcement that the Harry & Meghan' old patronages will be redistributed, this interview really did foreshadow what the Sussex press/PR team is going to release in their statements. Some of these tweets of sums up about public services:

The point about "take a step back" v.s. "walk away" just created more confusion in my opinion. The reason is that Harry & Meghan tried to take a step back after the Southern Africa Tour to re-consider their future and then ultimately walked away from being senior working royals after their announcement on instagram.

And for me this is not even the worst part, which was when Harry and James visited the "Fresh Prince of Bel Air" mansion. I cringed throughout the whole segment from the Harry's rapping, buying the property from the owner, Harry using the bathroom and the face-time with Meghan. The only part that I cringed less was the military challenge at the end, where Harry did comparatively well. But then again, it could be because the video is coming to the end.

In this James Corden show, Harry just scrape down into the entertainment and celebrity life from the Royal Family. It's almost the same as John Bercow (former speaker of House of Commons) appearing on Italian TV and shouting Order in Italian or appearing on Channel 4's The Last Leg.

Last edited:
After watching the full video, I have to agree with some posters here that I found the whole thing "cringey". I personally not a fan of James Corden and certainly not keen on his carpool karaoke series. To me, Harry is almost airing personal details or even dirty laundry for the sake of entertainment. Yes, Royal Family members to talk about their personal life, but only as a side note or example for charity works/causes/campaign (E.g. The Earl of Wessex briefly talked about Lady Louise Windsor and James, Viscount Severn's online learning in an interview about Duke of Edinburgh award scheme and other non-academic programs during the pandemic). The morning/afternoon tea segment is also embarrassing to say the least, especially when the trolley crashed at the turn of traffic.

Harry mentioning public services just once again confirm that Harry is missing the point about serving the UK (& the British public) and not knowing the difference between philanthropy and duty to serve his own country (i.e. public services). Since the interview is filmed before the palace's announcement that the Harry & Meghan' old patronages will be redistributed, this interview really did foreshadow what the Sussex press/PR team is going to release in their statements. Some of these tweets of sums up about public services:

The point about "take a step back" v.s. "walk away" just created more confusion in my opinion. The reason is that Harry & Meghan tried to take a step back after the Southern Africa Tour to re-consider their future and then ultimately walked away from being senior working royals after their announcement on instagram.

And for me this is not even the worst part, which was when Harry and James visited the "Fresh Prince of Bel Air" mansion. I cringed throughout the whole segment from the Harry's rapping, buying the property from the owner, Harry using the bathroom and the face-time with Meghan. The only part that I cringed less was the military challenge at the end, where Harry did comparatively well. But then again, it could be because the video is coming to the end.

In this James Corden show, Harry just scrape down into the entertainment and celebrity life from the Royal Family. It's almost the same as John Bercow (former speaker of House of Commons) appearing on Italian TV and shouting Order in Italian or appearing on Channel 4's The Last Leg.

I think there is a little bit of cultural misunderstanding going on in this forum regarding Harry's appearance on Corden's show. Late Night Show hosts in the US, like James Corden, are comedians and their shows are supposed to include comedy sketches, which is what he and Harry were doing.

I suppose it is fair to question whether someone who wants to be seen as a serious philanthropist or who is a prince of the United Kingdom should take part in a show like James Corden's, but, in the US, that is normally not a big deal and people who appear on those shows and go along with those comedy sketches are not necessarily seen by American audiences as cringey, shallow, out of touch, or insensitive to other people's suffering. Late Night shows are simply not expected to be like Hard Talk on the BBC.

Last edited:
It seems to me, judging from the various replies of this thread (as with other discussions on Sussex threads) that the reaction to Prince Harry on the Late Late Show more or less directly correlate to how posters felt about Harry (and Meghan) anyway, before this last appearance.

Here are some lighthearted reactions on Twitter to Harry, particularly on the obstacle course with James, as recorded by Harper's Bazaar.

https://www.harpersbazaar.com/celebrity/latest/a35647788/prince-harry-james-corden-interview-clip/

I think there is a little bit of cultural misunderstanding going on in this forum regarding Harry's appearance on Corden's show. Late Night Show hosts in the US, like James Corden, are comedians and their shows are supposed to include comedy sketches, which is what he and Harry were doing.

I suppose it is fair to question whether someone who wants to be seen as a serious philanthropist or who is a prince of the United Kingdom should take part in a show like James Corden's, but, in the US, that is normally not a big deal and people who appear on those shows and go along with those comedy sketches are not necessarily seen by American audiences as cringey, shallow, out of touch, or insensitive to other people's suffering. Late Night shows are simply not expected to be like Hard Talk on the BBC.

Similar to people like the Obamas dancing on Ellen or any number of political and cultural heavyweights willingly being eviscerated on Stephen Colbert’s old show.

I don’t know where Harry and Meghan are going with these various interviews and I do find Harry’s lightning quick jump from working British royal to American celebrity kind of jarring. But I disagree with the sentiment expressed by a few people here that what he’s doing now - basically the American celebrity lifestyle - is somehow a big comedown from working royal life. They’re two very different lifestyles but I don’t think one is inherently better than the other. I think of James Corden having Adele on his show and then I try to think of a member of a royal family - any of them - who, on his or her own merits, could match Adele’s level of talent and success. And none of them come close, including the ones who are somehow assumed to be smart/strong/independent, etc.

Thank you, that reply was enlightening to me.

The immediate conclusion I draw from this then is that this Corden appearance and the Oprah interview is indeed aimed squarely at the American market.
Because Harry is British, European and royal, surely he would know and understand how it would be perceived in Britain in particular?
It may be a normal thing for celebs, even Presidents to appear on light-hearted comical shows in America, but is sure isn't in Europe if you want to be taken seriously. And it's a no no for royals, or semi-royals, or has been royals or whatever Harry's current status is.
We can of course discuss ad nauseam whether that is European snobbishness or not, but that's beside the point. It's how it's perceived, not least in Britain.

I think that was a PR-mistake, in the sense that it will alienate H&M even more in regards to the British public. They already have the British tabloids on their backs, there is no need to help them.
But even worse, if this was indeed an appearance in a light-hearted American show, perfectly acceptable in USA, there really was no need to go too deep into the break from the BRF. That he could and should have dodged IMO.
I mean: He can dance around in a show with peacock feathers behind his ears, or he can seriously discuss his view on the break with the BRF in an interview, but do not mix it!

So again, as has been suggested here, the PR advisors H&M have, don't appear have a clue how things that are normal for US celebs will be perceived in Britain in particular. Especially considering that Harry is royal.

I believe this was a serious mistake, and if the Oprah interview is along the same lines, it will be an even worse mistake.
Because basically the only thing H&M has that stands out, is their royal or semi-royal status. If you devaluate that, what is left?

Except that James Corden is British, is popular with British audiences and has been since his Gavin and Stacey days, winning awards for his comedy. I don't know why it should be thought that the British wouldn't like something light with two old mates having fun. Not everyone in Britain always wants to watch ultra serious programmes.

I had really not thought of it in cultural terms but that makes a lot of sense.

For most Americans (who even think about it) being Royal means nothing really, accident of birth born into X family. You don't earn that status, you just get it by being born. Typically Americans put a lot more stock into it if you earn your spot in life.

So the idea of someone appearing on these shows is not at all shocking, demeaning or unsettling. Politicians, sports figures, educators, movie stars, artists ...they all appear on talk shows, late night shows, sit down interviews, write books, make various public appearances, do charity work etc etc

Perhaps that is something that appeals to Harry ..to be more “normal”, just do his bit in life and be happy as he does it without having to put up with the more structured framework expected by The Firm. No worries about not being able to do X because it overshadows another person or event etc.

Continuing to hold him to the same standard as if he lived in The UK, working member of The Firm is rather pointless. He will never meet that criteria again. He is going to, for the rest of his life, do things that do not mesh with the expectations normally required from a working Royal.

Are Monarchists really going to spend the next 40/50 years watching his every move and then point out the obvious?

He is gone, he will only be seen again in The UK for family events or specific occasions. Let him go his own way.

LaRae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom