The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2020, 04:12 PM
Majesty

Many celebrities and public figures in the US don't like having their children photographed. There are a lot of very strange people out there. Threats to kidnap and/or harm well known people and their family members aren't exactly unknown.

The Sussexes received many threats when they were in the UK and had the benefit of RPOs. A packet of a white substance was discovered among the deliveries to them at KP, for example.

Having said all that, I don't believe that there was any motivation behind the couple's Xmas card other than they just liked the semi-painted concept and that it couldn't really be altered digitally in any way, unlike last year's card.

Old 12-27-2020, 04:12 PM
Majesty

Why do people want to see him? If he were in the main line like George, yes, there might be a case for having some photos of him ever year. But he's not. He's the son of a second son... who is now not a working royal any more.. H is parents claim that he's a private person.. so why do people want to intrude on his privacy?

Old 12-27-2020, 04:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
As long as Archie is not easily identifiable, he can go out with a nanny, or a manny and not be mobbed in public. Seems reasonable to me...
Do you really think he'd be mobbed in public?
Perhaps a handful of people might stop to look at him, but I can't imagine he'd draw crowds.
Old 12-27-2020, 04:26 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I don't think Archie would be "mobbed in public" but all I have to do is read the news and hear about the crazies so dead set against the Sussexes on social media to realize that just because of who Archie is, taking precautions to protect him are a smart move to make.

I don't believe though that there was any other intention behind the card than to wish those that received it happy holidays and they liked the artistic way they've presented it.
Old 12-27-2020, 04:57 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Why do people want to see him? If he were in the main line like George, yes, there might be a case for having some photos of him ever year. But he's not. He's the son of a second son... who is now not a working royal any more.. H is parents claim that he's a private person.. so why do people want to intrude on his privacy?
That's the thing, the only ones who are deeply interested in seeing him are their fans.
I have no interest in seeing the kid (except wish him the best of luck in life) but I think they are actually trying to drum up interest by playing with fire as they play these silly games that they do. either release a proper picture or don't at all- it's quite tiring to be honest.

And I don't think Archie is at any risk, they have security, let's be real here. If they are that worried about his security than, like I said above, they need to stop playing coy and leave him out of their professional life completely, and that includes adding him to their christmas card to their charities, not naming their charity after him and so on. -multiple celebrities manage to separate their home life from their work life.
Old 12-27-2020, 05:02 PM
Majesty

I agree.it was a perfectly lovely Christmas card and I am at a loss to understand all this subtext about alterior motives and the many condescending put downs resulting from said ulterior motives. Some even claimed there was something wrong with Archie they are trying to hide it and strangely, any mention of Archie invariably results in a recitation of his lineage to underscore how unimportant he is.

You know sometimes a Christmas card is just a Christmas card and a well thought out and executed one at that. Its Christmas, let's smile and consign it to the veritable flood of royal Christmas cards sent to to family friends and followers every single year with this year being no different than any other.
Old 12-27-2020, 05:20 PM
Royal Highness

Iím no fan of the Sussexes, but they have the right to choose what kind of Christmas card they send - and I personally think their choice is lovely. I honestly donít believe it has anything to do with trying to hide Archieís face. If that were the case, why have they shown his face before? I donít think heís in anymore danger than any other child...
Old 12-27-2020, 05:23 PM
Serene Highness

Personally I feel a card's a card. They could have chosen not to release a card, or to pick any picture they felt fit.
Archie is their child and we cannot fault people them for that. I do however wonder where this concern was when they were taking him to Desmond Tutu.
[...]
Old 12-27-2020, 05:50 PM
Courtier

Just general curiosity. People hear so much about famous people that it's as if they know them, and so they like seeing wedding photos, and baby photos - just so they can say "Aww, isn't he cute?" and "Oh look, he's got Harry's hair and Meghan's eyes" and that sort of thing, like you would if you saw a picture of a friend's baby on Facebook or Instagram. But, OK, if you're on the receiving end, it might well seem like invasion of privacy.
Old 12-27-2020, 05:54 PM
Heir Apparent

We have seen plenty of Archie. It is on their terms. I think they just thought the card was cute but the overanalyzing this card is just... a lot.
Old 12-27-2020, 06:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

What's the daily Sussex fuss now ? A christmas card ?
C'mon ...
Old 12-27-2020, 06:21 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
It's natural human curiosity. When you're interested in something it's natural you want to learn more. This is not an invasion of privacy. Being pleased at seeing a child on a Christmas card is not the same as people mobbing the child. That's a bit of a reach.

The Sussexes really can't breathe without a whole 3 page discussion about their motives on this site, lol.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 12-27-2020, 06:26 PM
Courtier

I'm not a fan of the Sussexes, but the Christmas card is least of my worries. Archie could have been recognised as Prince George and Prince Louis, but with red hair as some twitter users have pointed out. In fact, some of these "name-dropping" could be as ludicrous as judges' guesses of celebrity contestants on The Mask Singer at the beginning of the competition.
Old 12-27-2020, 06:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

Regardless of danger, I think most toddlers would not like to be confronted with even a small group of strangers, taking pictures and calling his/her name. And it could happen frequently in the same outing. I’ve seen total strangers attempting to force interaction with even a non-royal baby. Why not keep Archie’s appearance private? It’s none of my business what he looks like.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 12-27-2020, 07:39 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
Regardless of danger, I think most toddlers would not like to be confronted with even a small group of strangers, taking pictures and calling his/her name. And it could happen frequently in the same outing. Iíve seen total strangers attempting to force interaction with even a non-royal baby. Why not keep Archieís appearance private? Itís none of my business what he looks like.

I agree--we don't need to see Archie. I also don't think that we need to see a Christmas card of any kind from the Sussexes. If they want to send a card that they know will be released to the public, directly or indirectly, then I suppose the chosen image is the safest--we don't really see what Archie looks like.
Old 12-27-2020, 08:09 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
I always laugh when people say this. Do people ever grow tire of wishing this desperately

No one would care about Harry's wedding, he wasnt heir. No one would care about his baby, he wasnt heir. [.....]

The public don't care who is closest to the throne. They care about who is interesting to watch. And to talk about. Harry and Meghan's 'drama' makes Archie all the more interesting (not to mention being the bi-racial prince).

[.....]

There would be no complaint of the few photos of Archie if he was next in line. People have short memories. At this age we had very little photos of the Cambridge kids. Birthday photo, Christmas and the balcony when old enough. We have seen the same amount of Archie (actually maybe more). The only reason people are complaining is because Harry and Meghan are such a Hot topic in the press, so there is more demand to see their son.
Old 12-27-2020, 11:26 PM
Majesty

That may be so, but if the Sussexes were regarded by SM and the public in English-speaking countries at least, as conventional, stolid, dull and uninteresting, they wouldn't be seen by the media as newsworthy would they, and they are. And that is also a fact.
Old 12-27-2020, 11:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
Lots of good info here...2021 looks like it will be better for the BRF, personally-wise

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/135791...box=1609018812
I do hope that 2021 is a better year in terms of family relationships, but the way the article is written is really silly. When it says that Harry will come to the UK in "the New Year" it makes it sound like his return is imminent, when in reality I don't think things will be on a safer level for travel until at least the later half of the year. I hope that they are able to go and see the British side of the family at some point next year, but I think that things with COVID will continue to be tricky for a while yet and I also wouldn't be surprised if they have some personal/family circumstances that arise soon that they will want to stay local for, at least for a while.
Old 12-28-2020, 12:19 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
These are just my thoughts but, hopefully, as spring arrives and vaccinations are in full swing, the Sussex family will be able to travel to the UK. I kind of picture them staying at Frogmore Cottage for Trooping the Color (however it is celebrated in 2021) and there for Ascot (if it's held) and Philip's 100th birthday. Possibly even staying for the unveiling of Diana's statue.

I don't see Meghan and Archie returning to the UK with Harry for the year end review.

Everything really depends on Covid-19 and what things look like and what travel is allowed. I'm hoping for much better news as 2021 progresses.
Old 12-28-2020, 03:16 AM
Royal Highness

The fact is, Curry, that Harry and Meghan have created news by their actions; splitting from the Royal Family is big news even in America. She was an actress, she has celebrity friends, and he's the son of the heir, also Diana's son. Are they interesting in and of themselves, as individuals? IMO, that's up to individuals to decide.

Closed Thread

Tags
archie mountbatten-windsor, duchess of sussex, duke of sussex, meghan markle, prince harry, sussex