The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2021, 12:25 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighGoalHighDreams View Post
I get that this is meant to be funny and appreciate both the humor behind the posts (I take it they are a silly knock-off on the #thanksObama style posts) and your inserting the levity into this thread, but....

I hope you, and others, realize that the knocking over a cup of tea is almost certainly a knock on an employee who supposedly had scalding tea thrown over her by her employer, Meghan. It's not funny, it's not a joke, and it's (yet more) victim-shaming after several glorious days of it here and elsewhere.

You can be "skeptical of the claims against Meghan" without making a "parody" of serious claims of bullying and, in this case, something quite a bit more serious. But I guess that should leave me "rolling on the floor laughing."
Count me in as one of the (apparently few) Americans who do not find it funny and who do not see the "humor".

This is the first I have read about any incident involving hot tea. There is simply no way to excuse/rationalize this if it's true.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 03-07-2021, 12:33 PM
Gentry

[...]I do wonder if Meghan really, truly understood what she was taking on when she became engaged to Harry. That it would mean living a high profile life of privilege, but bound by numerous rules and restrictions, and having to do things the way The Firm expects them to be done, rather than the way you personally want to do them.

I can absolutely sympathize with her finding those rules and restrictions too hard to live with - it is not a way of life I could ever tolerate myself. But it is the price of marrying into the BRF. Was it not explained properly too her? Was it explained, but she didn't listen? Did she listen, but quietly think 'I will be able to change this' only to later discover she absolutely could not?

It's just all very sad in hindsight.

Old 03-07-2021, 12:33 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fem View Post
[/B]Maybe with more time and more caution Meghan would have more time to get to know people in the UK and understand the way BRF works and if she can live with the boundaries of becoming a member of a royal family.
[...] it may have been better if she hadn't "hit the ground running" as a full-time senior member of the royal family. I understand there was a lot of pressure on Meghan to make appearances, but it may have been better to ease into the job.
Old 03-07-2021, 02:17 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post
[...] it may have been better if she hadn't "hit the ground running" as a full-time senior member of the royal family. I understand there was a lot of pressure on Meghan to make appearances, but it may have been better to ease into the job.

My feeling has been that Meghan WANTED to “hit the ground running.” She said she did- and I believe her. That rang true- then and now.

She was used to having a job, used to public speaking, had some media experience, was used to working with charities, projected a lot of confidence. I really don’t think she thought she needed to ease into anything.

It is my opinion that if she had wanted to ease into things....no one would have pushed her to do otherwise. (They may well have encouraged her to ease in- and she failed to heed the advice.)

Everyone remembered the problems with Diana. Kate was certainly eased in- of course, her and William’s jobs/life/age/life experiences were very different from Harry and Meghan’s when they married.
Old 03-07-2021, 02:53 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sionevar View Post
[...]I do wonder if Meghan really, truly understood what she was taking on when she became engaged to Harry. That it would mean living a high profile life of privilege, but bound by numerous rules and restrictions, and having to do things the way The Firm expects them to be done, rather than the way you personally want to do them.

I can absolutely sympathize with her finding those rules and restrictions too hard to live with - it is not a way of life I could ever tolerate myself. But it is the price of marrying into the BRF. Was it not explained properly too her? Was it explained, but she didn't listen? Did she listen, but quietly think 'I will be able to change this' only to later discover she absolutely could not?

It's just all very sad in hindsight.
If Meghan did not appreciate what was entailed with marrying Prince Harry, then that is entirely the fault of Prince Harry. He seems to continually quote that he doesn't want 'history to repeat itself' - a significant part of this history was the idea that Diana was not prepared for her role in marrying into the BRF. If this was so important to Harry, he should have made it his chief ambition that Meghan knew EXACTLY what she was getting into, warts and all. It appears, sadly, he did not do this. Hence many of their problems.
Old 03-07-2021, 02:57 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_royalist View Post
If Meghan did not appreciate what was entailed with marrying Prince Harry, then that is entirely the fault of Prince Harry. He seems to continually quote that he doesn't want 'history to repeat itself' - a significant part of this history was the idea that Diana was not prepared for her role in marrying into the BRF. If this was so important to Harry, he should have made it his chief ambition that Meghan knew EXACTLY what she was getting into, warts and all. It appears, sadly, he did not do this. Hence many of their problems.
Possibly Harry sees it more as the press harrasing him and Beign hostile to Meghan...but I think he shoudll indeed have warned her that the press are pretty awful and that the only way to live with them is to totally ignore them..
Old 03-07-2021, 03:07 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin9 View Post
My feeling has been that Meghan WANTED to “hit the ground running.” She said she did- and I believe her. That rang true- then and now.

She was used to having a job, used to public speaking, had some media experience, was used to working with charities, projected a lot of confidence. I really don’t think she thought she needed to ease into anything.

It is my opinion that if she had wanted to ease into things....no one would have pushed her to do otherwise. (They may well have encouraged her to ease in- and she failed to heed the advice.)

Everyone remembered the problems with Diana. Kate was certainly eased in- of course, her and William’s jobs/life/age/life experiences were very different from Harry and Meghan’s when they married.
I agree with your post. I didn't mean to imply that Meghan was pressured to start royal duties immediately (she was very clear about wanting to start), just that it may have been better to ease into it. I'm not sure it would have made a difference but it may have made it easier for her.
Old 03-07-2021, 03:18 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post
I agree with your post. I didn't mean to imply that Meghan was pressured to start royal duties immediately (she was very clear about wanting to start), just that it may have been better to ease into it. I'm not sure it would have made a difference but it may have made it easier for her.

Gotcha. Agreed. It may not have made a difference in the end if she’d eased in, but it might have made things easier for her at least.
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighGoalHighDreams View Post
I get that this is meant to be funny and appreciate both the humor behind the posts (I take it they are a silly knock-off on the #thanksObama style posts) and your inserting the levity into this thread, but....

I hope you, and others, realize that the knocking over a cup of tea is almost certainly a knock on an employee who supposedly had scalding tea thrown over her by her employer, Meghan. It's not funny, it's not a joke, and it's (yet more) victim-shaming after several glorious days of it here and elsewhere.

You can be "skeptical of the claims against Meghan" without making a "parody" of serious claims of bullying and, in this case, something quite a bit more serious. But I guess that should leave me "rolling on the floor laughing."
Especially when Dave McCladd has a history of making fun of children of Conservative politicians (Boris Johnson and Jacob Rees-Mogg). Look it's one thing to satirise and make fun politicians, but it's completely different when it involves children, who happens to born into the family. I disagree with his political view and hence I have been avoiding him on social media, but sometimes his satirical jokes keep popping up, because there are popular amongst his left-wing remainer twitter audience. Dave McCladd should consider himself lucky that both Boris Johnson and Jacob Rees-Mogg have very thick skin, who often play the abuses/attacks down and don't complain about them for the sake of freedom of speech.

https://twitter.com/davemacladd/stat...10037766234112
https://twitter.com/davemacladd/stat...97196449374212
https://twitter.com/davemacladd/stat...79182465290242
https://twitter.com/davemacladd/stat...99611904065536
https://twitter.com/davemacladd/stat...35735426039809
https://twitter.com/davemacladd/stat...08180518850562
https://twitter.com/davemacladd/stat...06855304015878 (Comparing COVID-19's variant and virus replication to the Rees-Mogg fertility with six children)

He is probably the same twitter users behind #Bekind and yet making vile comments on children of right-wing politicians, just because he does not agree with them. I would have thought Harry & Meghan's supporters would be critical of comedians/satirist making fun of children, given what happened to Archie (conspiracy theories on how Archie is a doll or born out of a surrogate and Danny Baker's baby chimp tweet which are absolutely vile).

But then why should I be surprised given that some of them have make vile comments on the Cambridge children and other members of the royal family on social media.

Also in regards to the tweet where he mentioned about the Queen's family who started WWI, since when should The Queen and royal family be blamed over what Wilhelm II, George V or Nicholas II did over a decade ago? And The Queen was not even born then and George V died when Elizabeth II was still a child.
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_royalist View Post
Clearly something broke down somewhere but:

In their engagement interview Harry said that he had lost relationships because the women didn't want the hassle and life that he came with and that made him determined to explain to Meghan exactly what it would entail ASAP so she could say “thanks but no thanks” if it wasn’t something she thought she wanted for her life. And she was nodding beside him saying she saw opportunities.

Either he didn’t do as good a job as he thought he did and Meghan was left with the impression of a Disney princess or that they could make changes they actually couldn't, Meghan thought she could handle it but quickly found out she couldn’t, Meghan lied and was never okay with it or they both agreed that if it wasn’t working out 100% then they could get out quick and didn’t tell anyone else about that.

She had already seen what the press could be like on her own behalf before the engagement and a quick search of a decade’s worth of discussion on Kate’s suitability, virginity, family including her teenage sister, work ethic, fertility, religion, upskirt shots, Uncle Gary and footage of her running down the street as a 23 year old pursued by a dozen large men with cameras on her birthday could have clued her in that it is intense, invasive, and never ending even when you actually get married. She could also look up the same thing for Chelsey. Or read any of the many books that say it isn't a glamourous life of choosing what you want to do or say what you want to say. But that there are ways of doing good things which are different from what she was used to.

I know why they moved very quickly but also living together and living in the UK for longer would have given her a chance to get to know more people and the culture and decide if she liked it. Because I don’t think it’s better or worse than many places in the US in terms of things like racism and progressiveness but it is very *different*.

Apart from anything else they both made a huge amount of changes in a short amount of time: finished a job, changed continent, got married, started a new job, immediately got pregnant, became globally famous not cable TV famous. Dramatically quit a job, break down with family, new “job” that relies on a connection to your old job that you now hate, another continent move, another baby, several law suits, more difficult family situations and whatever’s next. That’s a hell of a lot and I’m only going over the basics.
Old 03-07-2021, 03:40 PM
Aristocracy

Here are some excerpts from an article by Alexandra Shulman, former editor-in-chief of British Vogue. She addresses some of the subjects that have been discussed here - might be interesting for some people!

Quote:
Before the Duke and Duchess of Sussex married, a professional creative, well used to the intricacies and diplomacy involved in working with Royal households, was interviewed for a role by Meghan.

A mutual friend ran into the candidate immediately after the interview and asked excitedly how the experience had been.

The reply did not sound encouraging. ‘Well. Let’s just say it was like The Devil Wears Prada. And I was not Meryl Streep.’

Judging by the bullying allegations that have now emerged in a leaked email from the Royal couple’s then communications secretary, Jason Knauf, this was not an uncommon reaction.

I have met Knauf many times and I have to say that he must have felt pretty hard-pushed to do something that could undermine any of his bosses.

The staff who work at KP, like those at Clarence House and Buckingham Palace, are a hugely industrious bunch, happy to put in incredibly long hours for comparatively low salaries because they enjoy the status of working for the Royal Family. And they care. They care a great deal about protecting the Royals in every way, from organising the details of daily life to their image and security.

I remember meeting Knauf for the first time. He was a good-looking young American (a direct contemporary of Harry) wearing a formal grey suit and the requisite palace lanyard, and I found him quite daunting.

He didn’t seem big on small talk or even the smallest joke, and clearly took the view that this meeting was mine to lose. He was the one in control. As I got to know him better, I discovered he has a great sense of humour but, even off-duty, he was implacably loyal to his bosses.

The idea that he, or anyone working alongside him, would have had any interest in not supporting the incoming Meghan Markle as she tried to navigate this new world is simply not credible.

In truth, the opposite is true. Even before Meghan arrived, I know for a fact that the KP team were busy rallying a group of interesting and influential people who might be helpful and friendly to her in a new country.

They had learnt from the sad story of Princess Diana that letting a newcomer flounder in the somewhat archaic Royal pool, where they could feel isolated and unsupported, could be disastrous.

But herein lay the problem. It turns out that Meghan did not want guidance or support, or certainly not of the kind she was getting. No, as we later learnt in her interview with Tom Bradby on the South Africa tour, she wanted to be asked how she felt.

Knauf’s email raising concerns about Meghan’s intimidating behaviour came about after a growing number of complaints – all from women – in Kensington Palace.

At that time in 2018, the corporate world was finally beginning to take accusations of bullying and bad workplace practice seriously – and Knauf, an accomplished corporate professional, had his ear close enough to the ground to know that such things couldn’t be allowed to fester, even in a palace.

The decision to confront this toxic situation would have been nightmarish to make. The last thing Knauf would have wanted was the idea that he and his colleagues were ganging up against Meghan.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/a...want-help.html
Old 03-07-2021, 03:47 PM
Administrator

I remember that interview, I also remember reading that one of Meghan's friends warned her about the British press and she either said she could handle it or didn't think it was a big deal.

What's so interesting about Harry's take on the Diana situation is that he fails to recognize that his family would have more security if they stayed in England. The British Press is going to write about them whether they are in England, the US or on Mars. The paparazzi is going to follow them in the USA but they can't do that on royal estates. Honestly, I am not sure what he was thinking. I get him wanting to protect his family but the way he is doing is questionable IMO.

Old 03-07-2021, 06:19 PM
Serene Highness

Speaking of the devil, i.e. the Prime Minister and UK Government not getting involved with the drama surrounding the Sussexes, Gavin Williamson (Secretary of State for Education) was asked on the same question on Times Radio. He told the radio hosts Gloria De Piero and Tom Newton Dunn (or G&T) that "The whole nation stands up for the Queen" and the government will not be involved in matters of the Royal Family. He also talked about the Platinum Jubilee next year and how it's part of the COVID-19 recovery.
Tom Newton Dunn @tnewtondunn
Asked why the Government isn't defending the Queen against Meghan and Harry's attacks, Gavin Williamson tells G&T: "The whole nation stands up for the Queen".
@TimesRadio
9:31 PM · Mar 7, 2021·Twitter Web App
https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/stat...09689441452032
Times Radio @TimesRadio
''The whole nation stands up for the Queen.''
Education secretary Gavin Williamson on the row between Buckingham Palace and the Duke and Duchess of Sussex.
Listen Speaker with three sound waves http://times.radio/listen
@GloriaDePiero | @tnewtondunn | @GavinWilliamson
10:01 PM · Mar 7, 2021·Twitter Media Studio
https://twitter.com/TimesRadio/statu...17212240289792

Unlike his fellow colleague, Michael Fabricant, Conservative MP for Lichfield was not afraid to criticise Meghan for being a diva and unable to fit in with the Firm. (Ouch! ) He was asked about his personal opinions and really went for it oblivious on what other might think of it . But then again, he is a backbench MP, who has more freedom to say what he wants than those on the front bench.
Times Radio @TimesRadio
''I just wonder whether or not they're a spoiled couple.''
Michael Fabricant, MP for Lichfield, says he thinks it's a ''great shame'' that Harry and Meghan decided to step back from their duties.
Listen Speaker with three sound waves http://times.radio/listen
@GloriaDePiero | @tnewtondunn | @Mike_Fabricant
12:50 AM · Mar 8, 2021·Twitter Media Studio
https://twitter.com/TimesRadio/statu...59658865156098

In contrast, Lisa Nandy, Shadow Foreign Secretary has sympathy to Meghan, particularly on the media's criticism though focusing more on women in the public eye. She also recognise the "horrible situation" with the royal family and would not wish it on any families. She did at one point at the start of 2020 admits that she is a republican during Labour Leadership.
Times Radio @TimesRadio
''I have a lot of sympathy for Meghan and any woman in the public eye.''
Lisa Nandy, shadow foreign secretary, says "it was a very difficult thing" for the Duchess of Sussex to become a member of the royal family.
@GloriaDePiero | @tnewtondunn | @lisanandy
10:11 PM · Mar 7, 2021·Twitter Media Studio
https://twitter.com/TimesRadio/statu...19714687836169
Old 03-07-2021, 07:33 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy7 View Post
Yea but I think really the direct line should always have the titles which is what is happening now. Children and siblings of the monarch or expected monarch.

So presuming that The Cambridges have no more children that the next new HRH will be potentially George's children. Siblings of the heir should be HRH though as tragically you never know and you don't know of the heir won't have kids for example.
As it currently stands, the next "born" HRH children will be William and Catherine's grandchildren UNLESS Charles becomes King before Meghan and Harry finish their family. And that assumes that H & M do not decide to have their children not use it, like Edward and Sophie did. Harry's grandchildren would not receive it under the current rules.
Old 03-07-2021, 08:05 PM
Administrator

This thread will now be closed. A new thread for General News will be available soon.

Discussion relating to and emanating from the Oprah interview may take place in the Duke & Duchess of Sussex - Interview with Oprah March 2021 thread: https://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...1-a-48373.html

Please contact one of the moderators if and when General News unrelated to the Interview is published.

Tags
archie mountbatten-windsor, duchess of sussex, duke of sussex, meghan markle, prince harry, sussex