The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2021, 03:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Here is a taste of how some of the US media is reacting the news. I have been watching a lot of the shows and such and... well this seems to be pretty consistent.

https://twitter.com/TheView/status/1367542863026741250

Quote:
The Royal Family has gone out of its way several times now to emphasize Harry, Meghan and Archie are loved and remain important parts of the family. I think they should continue to make that clear whenever it’s appropriate. It leaves the door open for the personal relationships to settle down at some point. Beyond that they should continue to say nothing, especially now with the bullying issue being investigated.
I doubt they will name anyone specifically and will speak in broad terms. Overall I agree with your statement that once this is done that a time out will need to happen. Cool off and start the healing process.

Old 03-04-2021, 03:15 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
Here is a taste of how some of the US media is reacting the news. I have been watching a lot of the shows and such and... well this seems to be pretty consistent.

I doubt they will name anyone specifically and will speak in broad terms. Overall I agree with your statement that once this is done that a time out will need to happen. Cool off and start the healing process.
The View clip is appallingly inaccurate. If that is what is believed in the USA. Best of luck to Harry and Meghan

Old 03-04-2021, 03:25 PM
Nobility

Quote:

Agreed, they wont point fingers at HM or Charles, but they will say things as like they/firm/aides. Besides they need to tote those video calls with HM/Charles, and coming off as still close family members.^_- Joking
Old 03-04-2021, 03:31 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:

Not at all surprised by the clip. For those unfamiliar the show is made up of fairly left leaning ladies who come from various backgrounds (actors, comedians, politics etc).

Of course the vast majority of Americans care nothing about Monarchies. Those watching the Oprah interview will do so because Harry is Dianas’ son (we like rebels here) and/or because Meghan is an American, a lot of folks are aware of her now and find their story interesting.

LaRae
Old 03-04-2021, 03:43 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy7 View Post
The View clip is appallingly inaccurate. If that is what is believed in the USA. Best of luck to Harry and Meghan
Well those four were well informed & objective weren't they.
Old 03-04-2021, 04:13 PM
Serene Highness

The Guardian (Left-leaning, republican/anti-monarchist and mostly pro-Sussexes) suggested that Buckingham Palace did not contact Harry and Meghan about the bullying inquiry. The publication also go further to mentioned that Harry & Meghan would not be involved in the investigation. Instead, the investigation itself would focus more on past or present royal staff. The Guardian article itself contains some content on the Oprah interview, as well as from The Times interview.

Quote:
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have yet to be contacted by Buckingham Palace after it announced it would launch an investigation into allegations of bullying by the duchess, the Guardian understands.

Harry and Meghan will not be personally involved in the investigation as they are no longer part of the royal household, but the Los-Angeles based couple are understood to be hoping to hear details of what the process will entail.

The stark illustration of how far apart the sides are came when it emerged that the Duchess of Sussex had said she could not be expected to remain silent about her experiences of palace life if the royal family was “perpetuating falsehoods” about her and Harry. Dismissing the consequences of speaking out, Meghan said a lot had “been lost already”.

(...)

It also emerged that the palace is just as much in the dark about the interview as any member of the British public waiting to see it. The Sussexes themselves are understood not to have received any “final cut” from the producers.

The interview was recorded before claims were published in the Times this week that the duchess had allegedly bullied former royal staff, leaving some of them in tears and driving two of them out of their palace roles.

The claims centred on an email sent by the couple’s former communications chief Jason Knauf in October 2018 – five months after the couple’s wedding – reportedly in an attempt to force Buckingham Palace to protect staff, the Times said.

Buckingham Palace has ordered an unprecedented investigation into the claims, believed to be the first such inquiry into the alleged actions of a senior royal, and has stressed it does not tolerate bullying.

Past and present employees will be invited to speak in confidence about their experiences of working for Meghan, after it was alleged she humiliated staff on several occasions and “destroyed” one, while another was left in tears.

Harry and Meghan will not be part of the process. The palace hopes to start the investigation as soon as possible and will report any changes to procedures that might result at a later time.
Buckingham Palace yet to contact Sussexes about bullying inquiry
Meghan and Harry will not be involved in investigation, announced just before Oprah Winfrey interview
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...llying-inquiry
Old 03-04-2021, 04:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Not sure if this is the correct thread but an interesting story out of Manila over "Archewell deodorant."

https://coconuts.co/manila/news/fili...ell-deodorant/

Quote:
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are reportedly going after a small-time Filipino businessman for using the word “Archewell” on one of his products, but the said entrepreneur has vowed that he would fight the couple “to the death.”
Cobblestone Lane LLC, which represents the couple, is going after a certain Victor Martin Soriano, to dispute his decision to name his powdered deodorant (AKA “tawas”) “Archewell Harvatera.” Soriano filed for a trademark application for the brand in July 2020 and learned four months later about Cobblestone’s opposition to his plan. Cobblestone also asked the Intellectual Property Office of the Philippines for “additional time to notarize and apostille the documents” in the United States and have these sent to Manila.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex own a non-profit foundation called Archewell, named after their son Archie Mountbatten-Windsor. They filed for trademarks for the term “Archewell” in the United Kingdom, the U.S., and the European Union. But this didn’t deter Soriano, who even came up with choreography for Archewell Harvatera deodorant.
Old 03-04-2021, 04:25 PM
Heir Apparent

You Gov UK's question of the day.

Quote:
When it comes to the dispute between the Royal Family and the Duke and Duchess of Sussex (Harry and Meghan), with whom do your sympathies mostly lie?
The Queen and members of the Royal Family 38%
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex (Harry and Meghan) 18%
Neither 30%
Both 7%
Don?t know 7%
Old 03-04-2021, 04:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

I'll be honest, I think that this is just plain nasty and has gotten out of hand on all sides. If the reports are true Meghan's behavior sounds difficult and demanding, but I guarantee you that she's not the first nor the last difficult and demanding member of that family, but you never heard publicly about any "investigations" being done about anyone else. It does make you wonder- was this behavior REALLY bullying or is it yet more racism and classism coming into play?

And then on the Sussex end, I wish that they would just sit back and focus on all of the good work that they can do through Archewell and other projects. They have only made themselves look petty, whiny, ungrateful, dramatic, and litigious and it is NOT a good look.
Old 03-04-2021, 04:43 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
Thank you TLLK for providing the YouGov poll results.

Here is the link to the poll results including all types of category breakdown
https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics...ign=question_1

I would recommend people going through each category (i.e. Region, Gender, Politics, Age and Social grade) to see how divided the opinions are despite an overall higher percentage (not majority as in more than 50%) of sympathy towards The Queen and members of the Royal Family. The most obvious ones are politics and age groups

It is also important to note that this poll has more options compared to previous polls on royal family (i.e. 5 options instead of 3)
Old 03-04-2021, 05:00 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post

A third not sympathetic to either party. Interesting.

Only a fifth sympathetic to the Sussexes. Well that's pretty catastrophic really. Presumably the figures are reversed in the USA? Not that that's of any concern to British people of course.

In two further polls, about half of the British population believe the press are overly critical of the duchess & the couple have seen an improvement in their popularity.

On the other hand the poll was taken before the reports of bullying by the duchess & by the fact that the duke had made it known that he didn't want the matter pursued.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC21091968 View Post
Thank you TLLK for providing the YouGov poll results.

Here is the link to the poll results including all types of category breakdown
https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics...ign=question_1

I would recommend people going through each category (i.e. Region, Gender, Politics, Age and Social grade) to see how divided the opinions are despite an overall higher percentage (not majority as in more than 50%) of sympathy towards The Queen and members of the Royal Family. The most obvious ones are politics and age groups

It is also important to note that this poll has more options compared to previous polls on royal family (i.e. 5 options instead of 3)
Drilling down is always interesting. The one thing it doesn't tell us of course is the percentages by monarchists or at least those who are content with the status quo. We can make an educated guess that the more republican minded are more likely to be sympathetic to the Sussexes. What that tells us further I'm not sure.
Old 03-04-2021, 05:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Janet Street-Porter is no fan of Meghan yet she writes in her defense.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...kes-bully.html

----

Also one of Meghan's close friends speaks out.

https://twitter.com/Janina/status/13...5Es1_&ref_url=

I have known Meghan for 17 years.
Here’s what she is: kind, strong, open. Here’s what she’s not: “a bully”.
ANY of us who know her, feel the same thing from her broken silence: Relief.
The truth shall set you free.

---

Also her BFF Lindsay

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMA0uX-HaGX/
Old 03-04-2021, 05:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
I hope after this interview they can close this door, they will have a chance to speak about the situation, get it off their chest and move fully into the next phase of their life. Occasional returns to the UK if desired. I want to see them leave all this drama behind.

I echo your hope Pranter. Also I would like to see this interview brings them some closure on that episode in their lives.
Old 03-04-2021, 05:16 PM
Serene Highness

As we've seen before elections, opinion polls can mean anything or nothing (although the results sound reasonably accurate to me - few people have any sympathy with Harry and Meghan), but the phrasing of the question is telling - this is being seen as a dispute with the Queen, Prince Charles, Prince William and all the other Royals on one side, and Harry and Meghan on the other.

I think that's the way most people see it.

Is this what Harry wants? To be at war with his relations? Not forgetting the fact that they're already at war with Thomas Markle? It's all very sad, especially for Archie and the new baby.
Old 03-04-2021, 05:22 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
Drilling down is always interesting. The one thing it doesn't tell us of course is the percentages by monarchists or at least those who are content with the status quo. We can make an educated guess that the more republican minded are more likely to be sympathetic to the Sussexes. What that tells us further I'm not sure.
I would also like YouGov to have a separate category of "support of the monarchy" (i.e. Monarchist or Republican), but then there has not been a referendum on who should be the head of state of UK. The occurrence of important referendum could be the reason why "Leave" and "Remain" continues to be options of political category even though UK had already left the EU.

I think you made a very good assumption that republicans are more likely to support the Sussexes than the Queen and Royal Family. But then there is Kevin Maguire (Associate editor of Daily Mirror) and some contributors of the Daily Mirror (left-wing tabloid), who supports neither sides and mentioned along the lines of "The drama/conflict between Harry & Meghan and Royal Family is a great narrative for the Republican cause".
Old 03-04-2021, 05:37 PM
Administrator

Just a reminder that discussion concerning the forthcoming interview with Oprah may take place in the Oprah with Meghan and Harry thread - https://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...o=newpost.html. Where possible, posts about the interview here have been moved over to that thread.
Old 03-04-2021, 05:56 PM
Courtier

So a twitter post send me to check: apperantly Heather Wong no longer works for the couple for another position in Jan 2021!! she is now Chief of Staff at company called "Atomico"

https://www.linkedin.com/in/heather-wong-b343721a9/

Though I saw a tweet claims she is still listed as an active director at Travelyst.
Old 03-04-2021, 06:01 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Janet Street-Porter is no fan of Meghan yet she writes in her defense.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...kes-bully.html

----

Also one of Meghan's close friends speaks out.

https://twitter.com/Janina/status/13...5Es1_&ref_url=

I have known Meghan for 17 years.
Here’s what she is: kind, strong, open. Here’s what she’s not: “a bully”.
ANY of us who know her, feel the same thing from her broken silence: Relief.
The truth shall set you free.

---

Also her BFF Lindsay

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMA0uX-HaGX/
Yea... that's how it always is, hence why those closest to the bully, or on the same level at work, have a hard time believing this 'amazing, kind, sweet etc etc," person they know is a bully.

[...]
Old 03-04-2021, 06:07 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolvingdoors View Post
Yea... that's how it always is, hence why those closest to the bully, or on the same level at work, have a hard time believing this 'amazing, kind, sweet etc etc," person they know is a bully.

[...]
Or abusers. In fact it is a sad fact that many abused and bullied people are the ones left with nothing. People who perpetrate these things are often the most charmi g and wonderful and popular. No one said life was fair.
Old 03-04-2021, 06:15 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy7 View Post
Or abusers. In fact it is a sad fact that many abused and bullied people are the ones left with nothing. People who perpetrate these things are often the most charmi g and wonderful and popular. No one said life was fair.
I figured it was a given I was referencing all types of abuse and abusers.

Closed Thread

Tags
archie mountbatten-windsor, duchess of sussex, duke of sussex, meghan markle, prince harry, sussex