The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2021, 10:01 AM
Heir Apparent

Over the years we have heard many stories about aides/staff being treated badly by royals. So if that is the environment than it 100% needs to be looked into and fixed.

No one comes out looking good in this situation.

Old 03-04-2021, 10:19 AM
Royal Highness

While I appreciate that some posters feel that the palace or the royal family itself released these allegations at this time to counter any damage the interview will do, and it is possible. However, others can also argue that Harry and Meghan agreed to do this interview as revenge for the removal of their patronages.

For everyone's sake, I hope that the family can start productively discussing these issues privately and come to agreements on how to avoid misunderstandings in the future.

Old 03-04-2021, 10:44 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
The interview was recorded before their patronages were removed - but, yes, after the "War of the Waleses", you'd think lessons would have been learnt about playing out family feuds all over the media. It just ends up causing more hurt.
My theory is that although Harry says he does not want history repeating itself with respect to his memories of Diana, he is insisting on following her footsteps. There are many reports that Diana regretted doing her interview because it also hurt her children, not just Charles. I hope Harry and Meghan don't regret going public because of pain caused to people they don't want to hurt.

ETA to add, I assume that they knew their patronages were being removed before it was announced. Another possibility is that their patronages were removed because of this interview. Either way, Harry and Meghan cannot simply publicly attack others and then be surprised when they are attacked in return.
Old 03-04-2021, 11:01 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post

But I am looking to Harry's father to say or do something, anything that would lead one to believe he loves his younger son, daughter-in-law and grandson. Perhaps a reminder that Meghan is having to endure the same vile abuse as during her first pregnancy. But I fear his "Duty" is to his mother and father.
Harry, who is an adult, has not been exactly publicly supportive of Charles and one of the clips from the interview is widely perceived as a slap at Charles. A statement of support from Charles may make Harry and Meghan look horrible if the interview has other criticisms (veiled or not).

Anything the royal family says publicly right now will be dissected and misinterpreted by the media. Moreover, Charles and the family have other concerns, especially with Philip's health. I think it is better to wait until after the interview and make decisions then.
Old 03-04-2021, 11:05 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post
My theory is that although Harry says he does not want history repeating itself with respect to his memories of Diana, he is insisting on following her footsteps. There are many reports that Diana regretted doing her interview because it also hurt her children, not just Charles. I hope Harry and Meghan don't regret going public because of pain caused to people they don't want to hurt.

ETA to add, I assume that they knew their patronages were being removed before it was announced. Another possibility is that their patronages were removed because of this interview. Either way, Harry and Meghan cannot simply publicly attack others and then be surprised when they are attacked in return.

Honestly I don't think Harry and Meghan can make the same potential damage as Diana.

Diana was not royal by blood and was not in the line of succession, but she was the (former) wife of a future king and the mother of another, so in a way she had a direct connection to the main line to the throne.

Harry is Charles' son and William's brother, but once William had children of his own, he became part of a collateral line, thus relegated to a secondary role in the Family. And Meghan is at best only the daughter-in-law of the future king who is married to a son in collateral lne.

As I said, the "Firm" should just ignore them. They don't live in the UK and have no official public role, so they are now actually irrelevant to the people of the UK and the Commonwealth. Creating an image of a row or feud between themselves and "the Firm" only suits their own PR goals of being in the spotlight and playing the role of victims in front of their target audience, which is now the American public.
Old 03-04-2021, 11:29 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC21091968 View Post
The difference is Queen Elizabeth does not claim/portray to be a humanitarian nor constantly support sustainability or cruelty-free products. It's almost the same argument about climate change, where The Queen has stay out of it. That is what I like about her.
That is what I like about the Queen. She stays clear of politics and hot topics. I hope that Charles and William will do so when they become the Monarchs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Exactly - I think Harry has worked it out in his head that they are attacking the institution and not the family, but essentially it is the same thing.

I had been told that CBS is trying to find out if video or audio evidence exist and it the Times has it. If they do and it is out there - they might pull the interview. I told you that it was suspicious that CBS and Harpo people were talking to palace staff suddenly. They knew what was happening.
I do wonder if there is video/audio evidence. I have to think that the Times feels strongly enough that they have some kind of proof to publish these allegations, given the threat of a lawsuit by Harry and Meghan. I am an American, but I have always understood that the Times is a very reputable publication. If there is video/audio evidence, I suspect that it won't be released until after the Oprah interview.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyDrx View Post
I think this interview might have the potential to be their version of Panorama. If it does, it would be interesting to see what would The Queen do. She told Charles and Diana to divorce because of it, is it possible that Harry and Meghan might lose their royal titles because of this interview?
I just saw another preview today of the Oprah interview where Meghan says "the Firm" perpetuated falsehoods about her and Harry. I think they will have to answer to the Queen if that statement is a preview of what the interview will be like.
Old 03-04-2021, 11:44 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by duchessrachel View Post
I just saw another preview today of the Oprah interview where Meghan says "the Firm" perpetuated falsehoods about her and Harry. I think they will have to answer to the Queen if that statement is a preview of what the interview will be like.
I think the queen will treat them with total ignoral.. they've been out of the RF for a year, they have done nothing but create dramas.. and IMO she's finished with them....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
Over the years we have heard many stories about aides/staff being treated badly by royals. So if that is the environment than it 100% needs to be looked into and fixed.

No one comes out looking good in this situation.
If that's the case, then it is good for it to come out..
Old 03-04-2021, 11:56 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
If that's the case, then it is good for it to come out..
I agree, if anyone has engaged in inappropriate behavior with staff it needs to be handled.

LaRae
Old 03-04-2021, 12:00 PM
Royal Highness

They should be ignored...Any attention is better than no Attention as they say when dealing with petulant denied overly entitled individuals who are acting out. Not much different than will small children.
Old 03-04-2021, 12:03 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by duchessrachel View Post
I do wonder if there is video/audio evidence. I have to think that the Times feels strongly enough that they have some kind of proof to publish these allegations, given the threat of a lawsuit by Harry and Meghan. I am an American, but I have always understood that the Times is a very reputable publication. If there is video/audio evidence, I suspect that it won't be released until after the Oprah interview.
The original e mail is evidence that a member of staff had concerns, as far as I understand it that is what the article is about.
After recent court cases I would expect all media to be careful.
Old 03-04-2021, 12:30 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolvingdoors View Post
This is a pretty demanning article from Rebecca English.
There are parts of it which actually support theories and points I, and others- not just here- had raised and alluded to before, but as it is a mental health theory I won't go into details (I don't want this comment to be deleted- unless the mods give me the go ahead to expend?).

I'll just say that the below quote is a major alarm for me because it is bang on behavior wise.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...nightmare.html
Thanks for posting. I am interested in the reference to helping Thomas Markle fly out of Mexico and finding a private place for him to go before the wedding:

Quote:
Often these were things that were far beyond the scope of their normal work – in one case being instructed to make plans for her father Thomas to be flown from his home in Mexico before the wedding and taken to a fully-stocked 'safe house' in LA for a few days in order to fool any waiting media.
It doesn't seem unreasonable that Meghan assumed that the staff would help her with this. Perhaps it wasn't within the normal scope of the person she asked but any issues should have been resolved by referring her to the correct person.
Old 03-04-2021, 12:55 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolvingdoors View Post
This is a pretty demanning article from Rebecca English.
There are parts of it which actually support theories and points I, and others- not just here- had raised and alluded to before, but as it is a mental health theory I won't go into details (I don't want this comment to be deleted- unless the mods give me the go ahead to expend?).

I'll just say that the below quote is a major alarm for me because it is bang on behavior wise.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...nightmare.html

I think one of the things for me is that all the royal reporters seem to be yeah we knew about this to a certain extent. That they all talk about the staff being exhausted and miserable.

Also the various descriptions of Meghan's behaviour is consistent and very much in line with patterns of behaviour I have seen in others.

[.....]
Old 03-04-2021, 01:01 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Thanks for posting. I am interested in the reference to helping Thomas Markle fly out of Mexico and finding a private place for him to go before the wedding:

It doesn't seem unreasonable that Meghan assumed that the staff would help her with this. Perhaps it wasn't within the normal scope of the person she asked but any issues should have been resolved by referring her to the correct person.

I don't think booking him a flight or even renting a house was unreasonable; I think it was rather the expectation that staff should participate in a scheme to "fool" the media. The palace either comments on matters or they don't, I don't think they usually go around "fooling" the media and making them believe that a person is in one place when they're actually in another.

It's ridiculous really and I do think the palace realizes that it's not a great idea to do that. It would likely get out in the end and once they realized they were "fooled" by the palace, certain media outlets would only snoop more and question the veracity whenever the palace tells them that a person is here or there.
For instance, the Palace says, "HM the Queen is at Windsor."
Media: "Is she really or are we just being "fooled" again?"
Old 03-04-2021, 01:07 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
So does Meghan still have the earrings now ? If so, she is in possession of Crown property that should have been returned.
I just read somewhere that there is also an issue of her receiving freebies from designers and her staff has warned Meghan that doing so was breaching royal protocol so, maybe that's how the relationship between Meghan and staff turned sour
Old 03-04-2021, 01:42 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess_Eleanor View Post
I don't think booking him a flight or even renting a house was unreasonable; I think it was rather the expectation that staff should participate in a scheme to "fool" the media. The palace either comments on matters or they don't, I don't think they usually go around "fooling" the media and making them believe that a person is in one place when they're actually in another.

It's ridiculous really and I do think the palace realizes that it's not a great idea to do that. It would likely get out in the end and once they realized they were "fooled" by the palace, certain media outlets would only snoop more and question the veracity whenever the palace tells them that a person is here or there.
For instance, the Palace says, "HM the Queen is at Windsor."
Media: "Is she really or are we just being "fooled" again?"
Thank you. Your explanation makes sense. However, if I had been Meghan, I wouldn't have thought about that. I am not sure why the employee was that upset by the request.
Old 03-04-2021, 02:00 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Thank you. Your explanation makes sense. However, if I had been Meghan, I wouldn't have thought about that. I am not sure why the employee was that upset by the request.

Yes, of the allegations against her, this really isn't one of the worrying ones. But I do think staff had to gently tell her no a lot, and she did not take kindly to that.

Based on this article and other things we have heard, possible examples are subjects she wasn't supposed to talk about, jewelry she wasn't supposed to wear, free clothes for advertising purposes she wasn't supposed to accept, occasions where she was expected to wear a hat etc.

My personal belief is that Meghan, an intelligent and mature woman with a degree in International Relations, willingly took on a diplomatic role but was never willing to act like a diplomat.
Old 03-04-2021, 02:11 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
It could simply be that this was far out of the normal purview of whoever was being asked to do this, which is what this part of the article was talking about. Say for example they're on the communications team and they're being asked to manage Mr Markle in a way that they didn't feel was appropriate. Not just co ordinate with him but potentially act as a combined spy agency/care giver. Like a boss who tries orders their PA to go to parent-teacher conferences or something. It was originally said that Harry had organised for an old colleague to help Mr Markle out.

It's definitely not the most serious allegation. That would be the suggestion that working for the Sussexes may have given people actual PTSD and that this was well known by the royal rota and the palace, who far from throwing Meghan to the wolves, covered up for her.

In fact if any of this is in the slightest bit true it seems that far from getting no support, Meghan received a lot of support, just not what she wanted to hear.

And lets be clear a toxic working environment doesn't just look bad on Harry and Meghan it also looks bad on "The Institution" so I'm not sure what the upside to the palace leaking this would be.
Old 03-04-2021, 02:21 PM
Heir Apparent

So far none of the allegation revealed has been what I perceives as "bullying" but what one views is different than the other. That is why it is important to have the complete facts on all sides. Was the disrespect thrown both sides? These questions should be asked.

Will be interesting to see how it is handled.
Old 03-04-2021, 02:29 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
So far none of the allegation revealed has been what I perceives as "bullying" but what one views is different than the other. That is why it is important to have the complete facts on all sides. Was the disrespect thrown both sides? These questions should be asked.

Will be interesting to see how it is handled.
And there has been no stated list of instances. What has appeared is an email discussing it. He hasn't listed point one, two, three in it like he was giving evidence in court. He is saying he is concerned about what is going on. If someone, as in the investigators who look into it, interview the relevant people then they will receive particulars. And that is the space for people to have their voice heard.

I doubt Harry and Meghan's could bare hearing a blow by blow account.
Old 03-04-2021, 02:30 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by duchesschicana View Post
Let harry have his momment in the sun because it wont happen again not like this. They could do follow interviews but it wont be on this scale.
I agree with this. The only way Harry and Meghan can turn this into an ongoing issue is if they have damaging stories about members of TRF and are willing to make them public. I don’t think they’ll go that far and the people who make up the core of the working Royal Family aren’t especially vulnerable anyway. The Queen and DoE are as close to sacrosanct as two mortals can get. William and Kate are solid and we haven’t heard any rumours of private behaviour that they couldn’t recover from if it was made public. Charles has a lot of baggage but we’ve heard it all before.

The Royal Family has gone out of its way several times now to emphasize Harry, Meghan and Archie are loved and remain important parts of the family. I think they should continue to make that clear whenever it’s appropriate. It leaves the door open for the personal relationships to settle down at some point. Beyond that they should continue to say nothing, especially now with the bullying issue being investigated.

Closed Thread

Tags
archie mountbatten-windsor, duchess of sussex, duke of sussex, meghan markle, prince harry, sussex