The Duke & Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 2: December 2020-March 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We rarely see Archie. As much as I would love to see his little sweet face, I am not surprised they still protect him in this way. I don't expect to see him at all anytime soon but one can hope.

But from this drawing image... he looks like he has quite the head of red hair.

This reminds me strongly of one year on Harry's birthday where we got a lovely picture of the Wales family featuring William and Charles beaming at the camera and Harry looking down. Where your first thought is "lovely photo!" and your second is, "not quite how I would have approached the occasion."

We rarely see Archie. As much as I would love to see his little sweet face, I am not surprised they still protect him in this way. I don't expect to see him at all anytime soon but one can hope.

Maybe we will get another birthday video clip in May 21

LaRae

This reminds me strongly of one year on Harry's birthday where we got a lovely picture of the Wales family featuring William and Charles beaming at the camera and Harry looking down. Where your first thought is "lovely photo!" and your second is, "not quite how I would have approached the occasion."

Maybe Harry was looking down for a good reason on the first occasion. And on this Xmas card he was looking lovingly at his wife while his son sat beside him. A happy atmosphere.

[...]

I’m disappointed as I had been looking forward to seeing a clear picture of him since we haven’t seen him in so long, but it’s not my decision to make.

Last edited by a moderator:
[...]

It reminds me of the kind my Nana used to collect for decades.

Its meant to be a combination of sending a boxed card/family photo card.

Honestly we haven't seen that much less of him when we had of Louis at that age.

He seems to have grown a great deal of red hair since his birthday ?

I love that they included the dogs and gave us a look of their happy family.

The photograph is definitely a stylistic thing. It reminds me of a Norman Rockwell painting. Yet, I too wish we could see the original photograph, though of course the Sussexes are not obligated to show us anything. Lucky are those people who are close friends of the Sussexes and/ or a loyal part of their inner circle. They get to engage in private with the Sussexes, and they surely get to see a lot of Archie as well. I believe M&H are always intentional in their approach, and the stylistic bent is definitely coming from Meghan. When she developed her Tig blog, she was very conscious of all aspects of developing the right themes and look of the site in a very detailed and creative way. She's always thoughtful and hands-on in everything she does.

In addition, I agree with those who indicate that the electronic rendering of the photograph is very intentional (It's surely done on the computer, so it's not strictly an illustration). Let's remember that the last portrait the Sussexes released ahead of the Times 100 Talks discussions with social media experts and activists, was doctored by someone to the point where it looked like Harry's left eye was bloodshot. The original black-and-white portrait was perfectly fine as is and needed no photoshopping adjustments. There were also unnecessary comments on the jewelry Meghan wore in that photo, etc. In the same vein, the Sussexes' last year's Christmas card was also photoshopped by a fan (who didn't intend any harm). However, the well-meaning but uncalled for tampering led to a lot of online blather and was upsetting to Janina Gavankar who had snapped the original photo which the Sussexes then turned into an electronic Christmas card. There has been further recent meddling online with that particular photo, in addition to unpleasant comments about Archie. Sadly, this is the case though it may not be widely known, recognized, or understood.

Therefore, it's understandable that the Sussexes wished to take a different approach with this current release. Since it is a computerized rendering from a photograph, in a lovely setting, there's not so much that can be done to alter it. Neither is there much to criticize about every detail, since the details are not distinct. But let's see what happens going forward regarding critiques.

The inclusion of the dogs is great. I'd always hoped to see a full family portrait with the dogs. This is not a conventional portrait though. When it comes to the Sussexes, we should always expect something unexpected. Including the dogs also fits with their intention of contributing to Mayhew and highlighting this specific charity so as to generate donations. I'm sure they gave Mayhew the okay to release the card on Twitter.

I like the way various charities are targeted by the Sussexes to gain benefit at the same time that the charities are instrumental in releasing Sussex photos/videos/news (e.g., Save the Children, et al). I wouldn't mind if M&H never went back to a personal Instagram account. They may possibly launch an Instagram for Archewell, but chiefly to highlight the foundation's important charitable work and projects. Or else, they may stick to communicating with the public via the Archewell website and press releases, and through communication by various charities.

M&H clearly want to communicate with their fans and with the general public in a conscientious and generous way, but also in a way that preserves as much privacy for their son as possible. I doubt we will get to see very much of Archie growing up over the coming years. Possibly we may see images only for his birthday and Christmas, unless we happen to get a rare view of him when he's a bit older at possible future albeit limited royal family-related gatherings in England, and/or maybe at charity-related events with his parents. A big part of this protective stance has to do with Harry's deep desire for his son not to experience the frustrations and fishbowl intrusiveness he chafed at as a child and as a young man. We know this because Harry has said this himself in print and in video interviews, and in media reports.

Meghan was very used to sharing things about her life and especially posting fun photos of her dogs and her outings with close friends on her former Instagram. But I believe once she began dating Harry, she came to understand Harry's trauma regarding media intrusiveness, and also the inherent problems with the high profile nature of being a royal. As a result, Meghan and Harry have both been on the same page regarding protecting their privacy during their courtship and marriage, and especially in regard to shielding their son.

No, don’t like it. If you don’t want your child exposed in the media, buy some lovely cards. You don’t have to put your family on a card ( like you don’t have to have turkey for Christmas lunch)

No, don’t like it. If you don’t want your child exposed in the media, buy some lovely cards. You don’t have to put your family on a card ( like you don’t have to have turkey for Christmas lunch)

yes I've never understood why people send out pics of themselves for Chrsitmas. Its not about them, its about Jesus. If you dont have religous beliefs but still want to send cards you can send one with Santa Claus....

It's a very lovely picture, especially with Archie and the dogs :flowers:

I agree with previous posters that the photograph has been electronic rendered and the card does look like a (title) cover of Enid Blyton's book. I don't think it's hand drawn otherwise the artist would signed at the bottom or even mentioned.

Last edited:
yes I've never understood why people send out pics of themselves for Chrsitmas. Its not about them, its about Jesus. If you dont have religous beliefs but still want to send cards you can send one with Santa Claus....

The holidays are also about family. What I saw was a family together with their dogs wishing those who received the cards a a happy holiday. Nothing more, nothing less and for me, there's no reading "between the lines".

These kind of holiday cards have been around for as long as I can remember (that is if my memory actually cooperates with me). :D

I tend to go for pictures of snow scenes or Father Christmas by an open fire. I wouldn't dream of sending a picture of myself: I'm quite sure that no-one (except possibly my mum and dad) would want a picture of me looking out from their mantelpiece!! But it does seem to be a thing for royals and politicians.

The holidays are also about family. What I saw was a family together with their dogs wishing those who received the cards a a happy holiday. Nothing more, nothing less and for me, there's no reading "between the lines".

These kind of holiday cards have been around for as long as I can remember (that is if my memory actually cooperates with me). :D

Yes these types of images have been around a lot longer than you! Someone mentioned there had been a cover like this done in the 30s of The princesses Elizabeth and Margaret!

We have family members who send a picture card of themselves/family every year as their Christmas Card. Not that uncommon.

LaRae

I tend to go for pictures of snow scenes or Father Christmas by an open fire. I wouldn't dream of sending a picture of myself: I'm quite sure that no-one (except possibly my mum and dad) would want a picture of me looking out from their mantelpiece!! But it does seem to be a thing for royals and politicians.

Honestly I think its awful, I'm sure it only came in, during the last 20 years...I cant see what's wrong with a normal secular Christmas card signed by the Royals invovlved... God knows there are enough picture of all of them out there.

I tend to choose snow scenes as well! :flowers:
But I always get lots of those family photo cards from others; they are such a popular trend.

A Very Clever Christmas Card!

[.....]

As an artist/creative, I say bravo to Meghan and Harry for going this route; let's see 'em photoshop this one too :lol:

Side NOTE:
I can't lie; I would have LOVED to see the original photo but even I, who doesn't have H&M's level of fame, never shared the existence of my child (now happily living her best University life in NYC) with any of my social media/online acquaintances, or even "friends," so yeah, I can't be hypocritical… :flowers:

Yes these types of images have been around a lot longer than you! Someone mentioned there had been a cover like this done in the 30s of The princesses Elizabeth and Margaret!

We have family members who send a picture card of themselves/family every year as their Christmas Card. Not that uncommon.

LaRae

No. I meant a regular picture. There are tons like that of them outside their play house at Windsor. Not ridiculously done like this one but the over all looknos of many years gone by.

These is just what these two do they cany do anything right to be fair. In people eyes. They are just always of kilter.

Not sure what her working has to do with her maybe staying with her daughter during these Covid times. Over the summer it did seem like she was spending a lot of time with Harry and Meghan as a few pap pictures did turn up with her at Tyler's home. I wouldn't be surprised if she continued when they relocated.

It would seem she has moved out of her old house. Paps used to watch her home quite a bit and apparently no one has been there for while. But she could have also just moved to a more secure location.

Also why would they announce Doria lives when them? It is literally none of our business.

Because while Covid shut down alot of things, old people homes it did not, and last I checked Doria was a social worker (to my knowledge she still works there), so she would be doing essential work. it seems odd for her to drive up and down from Montecito every day (seeing as it's about 1.5 hour drive each way)
I can understand her visiting them during the weekend, maybe on her day off too.
I'm not the one speculating about her whereabout, you guys are. I honestly couldn't care less, I was just trying to inject a reasonable reason as to why her moving in with H&M is quite frankly, ridiculous.

The comment about the lack of announcement was tongue-in-cheek seeing as they love to announce everything else about their life.

One of the charities that Meghan is a patron of, shared the Christmas Card. The original photo was taken by Doria earlier this month and the Christmas decorations were picked out by Archie.

I understand why royals release pictures with the kids (it is expected), I understand why politicians do.
I don't understand private people (which the couple is), who complained about lack of privacy and media attention and who wanted to raise their kid away from being a public figure, who do it.

Seeing as this is an official picture, but is work related, and given what I wrote above, I think a picture of just the two of them with the dogs, or even just the dogs- seeing as they send it to an animal shelter - would have been far better, or just a general wintery picture.
They could have saved this one (minus that horrible filter) for their friends and family.

And if anyone complain they can simply say: this is work related, our son is part of our personal life and is a private citizen, we saw no need to include his image in this.

This is such a sweet image and you can tell what a tight and happy family unit they are! I also love that it was taken by Doria.

I do have to say that I wish they had released a picture version rather than this artistic style version. While you can certainly tell who’s who, none of the figures have distinct features and I wish we could see that (in fact, I actually thought that their lab was a trash bag at first). I’m not sure if the intent was to obscure Archie’s features to give him a bit of privacy/protection or if they just wanted to be creative with it, but I wish we got to see THEM rather than a blurred rendering.

:previous:

Looks like an Enid Blyton 1950's cover. I mean seriously like a 30's picture of Princesses Elizabeth and Margaret Rose. I happen to think we have no right to see Archie. He isn't his cousins and therefore it is possible for him to have a private life. In a way no member so close to the royal family have ever had.

Really don't like the card. Last year's was actually lovely...this is a book cover to a children's book. But it is so them.

I much rather never see him. not because he isn't adorable, but because his parents claimed part of the reason they left was to give their son a normal life, or at least that's what FF claims... so.. stop putting his face out there, even the little bit they do.
There are celebrities I follow which I was shocked to find out they even have kids.

Exactly my point, they could have just bought some pretty holiday themed cards from a local artist, or a British one. It would have seemed far nicer and more appropriate than putting their kid on the card, when they don't HAVE to.

Honestly I think its awful, I'm sure it only came in, during the last 20 years...I cant see what's wrong with a normal secular Christmas card signed by the Royals invovlved... God knows there are enough picture of all of them out there.

The image is very sweet, just whatever they did to it filter wise is a major no.
I have seen christmas cards from royals with their pictures far older than 20 years, but those may have been personal to friends and family.

That being said, while H&M are members of the family they are no longer working royals and so putting their face on a christmas card is now their choice, the fact they choose to put themselves AND their son is.. odd.

I believe that there were Xmas cards of the Wales family when the brothers were little that were in the public arena. The difference though between those days and now was that there was no SM and no way of digitally altering such photos.

And even today there were complaints from detractors that the card did not show Archie's features because his parents want to hide him, either because he isn't with them or there is something physically wrong with him.

If there were never any photos of their son on any cards those furphies would continue and probably grow louder. And, after all, the Sussexes are a family. Harry and Meghan never said they weren't ever going to show Archie anywhere at any time. They love him, they are proud of him and if they want to show him on their Xmas card once a year surely they should be allowed to without others criticising their choice.

The card is nice, but not what would I would expect from them, it is the idea to shield the son behind this type of card. It would had been nice to see a real photo of them. Now by the colour of the hair I guess Archie is red hair.

Exactly my point, they could have just bought some pretty holiday themed cards from a local artist, or a British one

evolvingdoors-Or another suggestion might be to have someone affiliated with one of their UK charities/patronages create a unique image ie watercolor, photograph, ink print etc...as their official public card. I believe there are about UK based 25 patronages/charities combined. The card could later be reproduced and sold the following year as a fundraiser. The couple could consider initiating a contest for their charities to compete for the honor.

As for a family photo card, that could be distributed to trusted family and friends who wouldn't dream of sharing it publicly.

Surely, two grown adults should be free to share…however, whereever, whenever!

And even today there were complaints from detractors that the card did not show Archie's features because his parents want to hide him, either because he isn't with them or there is something physically wrong with him.

If there were never any photos of their son on any cards those furphies would continue and probably grow louder. And, after all, the Sussexes are a family. Harry and Meghan never said they weren't ever going to show Archie anywhere at any time. They love him, they are proud of him and if they want to show him on their Xmas card once a year surely they should be allowed to without others criticising their choice.

Wow, no wonder my mom thinks "the end is nigh!"

I mean, darned if they do; darned if they don't. How some are still surprised by H&M's choice is far beyond me :ermm:

For sure, it's their prerogative how, where, when, and if they (two grown free adults) choose to share their adorable son Archie, with the world…:flowers:

Last edited:
I am no fan of Harry and Meghan, but come on - making a stink about their Christmas card? It’s fine if you don’t like it - I’m not a huge fan of Charles and Camilla’s card - but H and M were under no obligation to buy British or to buy any other kind of card. I have no doubt Archie is adorable, but I personally don’t have this NEED to see him, at any time, so I don’t have any issue with this card...and anyway, my gut tells me this was not an attempt to hide him. I think H and M just liked the card.

Actually it looks like a painting that they went to the trouble to have someone paint for them. If you enlarge you can see what I mean. Quite different and took a lot of thought JMO

I think they devised a beautiful way to satisfy most followers. They have shared a lovely painted picture yet Archie would still not be easily recognised.

Lots of good info here...2021 looks like it will be better for the BRF, personally-wise

HARRY and Meghan are brokering an extension to the 12-month Megxit deal – and the prince plans to return here in the New Year to seal it.

They want a more permanent agreement to continue as non-working royals in California despite big-money deals with Netflix and Spotify.

They will make friendly video calls to senior royals next month before Harry heads here for face-to-face talks, possibly accompanied by Meghan. Their deal with Buckingham Palace expires on March 31.

A thawing of hostilities is under way. We told last week how Meg and Harry posted Christmas presents to William, Kate and their children.

And royal biographer Andrew Morton said the couple want to return – Covid restrictions willing – for the Queen’s 95th birthday on April 21, the Duke of Edinburgh’s 100th in June and the unveiling of a statue of Princess Diana on July 1 — what would have been her 60th birthday.

He said: “Although they will do some of it by Zoom, Harry wants to meet face to face to tie it all up.

“Things seem to have calmed down. Harry has been in contact with the Queen more often than you would think. But certain things you need to be there in person to sort. They will need a few weeks. That could be done after April, depending on Covid.”

The pair have moved on after what Andrew Morton called “a pretty dismal time” in their first few months in Canada and then the US.

He added: “You could see the trauma etched on their faces. They were barely on speaking terms with William and Charles.

“If Harry had a real regret, it was how he handled the announcement of stepping back. He pushed the Queen and his father into a corner and it made the whole thing far more dramatic.

“There was a period when Harry was uncertain, but not any more. He is loving life in the sunshine, the pace of life and lack of formality. This is what he has dreamed of for a long time.

“The rift between the two brothers is healing. It has been a good year and a bad year — court cases, paparazzi and, most difficult, Meghan having a miscarriage. But Covid has brought the family back together and forced Meghan and Harry to slow down and think. They have proved their point. Any conversation will be far more amicable.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/13579...twitter&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1609018812

:previous: Agreed. If this story is accurate then it does sound like 2021 will be better for the relationship between the BRF and the Sussexes.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...h-extension-Megixt-deal-royal-patronages.html

Sources are claiming the story is rubbish.
===================================================================
However, sources last night described the latest Megxit extension reports as ‘rubbish’.

One said: ‘This review period was inserted in case Harry and Meghan wished to return as working royal, but they have made it clear they want to live an independent life.’

Another said: ‘Harry and Meg are happier than they have ever been. Why would they want to return?’

Last edited:
Since the family has no control over the actions of the Sussexes (the article implies they do) I am suspicious of the accuracy of that article.

If the review part is true then I would say that would be in place in case the Sussexes decided they couldn't or didn”t want continue independently. I see nothing indicating they want to return.

LaRae

I do think that Harry may wish to return briefly at a certain point next year, perhaps for his grandparents' birthdays and the unveiling of Diana's statue. However, I don't believe that any biographer or tabloid journalist has been told anything from sources close to the Sussexes about the supposed review next year. I read in March that the review was the Queen's idea anyway and wasn't asked for by Harry. As far as I can see he and Meghan are as happy as Larry, living a great informal family life in sunny California.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom