The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2021, 10:19 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

A number of posts have been deleted. Until we have more information about the situation between Meghan and her staff, let’s hold off on accusations of racism. Let’s stick to what has so far been reported. Thanks.

Old 03-03-2021, 10:32 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolvingdoors View Post
Many of us here pointed out that all this smoke was very heavy and that someone should check for the fire.

I do have to say, seeing the chaos on twitter.. I am so painfully disappointed by fellow left wingers, individuals who pride themselves on their investigation skills, who always bang on about standing up for the disenfranchised person in cases of workplace bullying and harassment, yet without question are taking Meghan's side (a very privileged person!) and are literally shaming and gaslighting the victims- probably scaring them away from talking (and maybe even scaring other victims who are being bullied from talking about their own abuse by others, especially if their abuser is a non white person)

Logically I understand both sides- I do, I get why her supports are supporting her (especially US ones), but at the same times: this is not new allegations, there have multiples, the palace literally protected her from them while not protecting the employees.

I'm just.. disappointed.
Unfortunately some people who like to think of themselves as “woke” dig in their heels when it appears that the person they’re championing is not as pure as snow..They view it as an attack on their “woke” credentials and cannot tolerate being questioned

Old 03-03-2021, 11:44 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy7 View Post
Well not Harry.

I do feel for his situation really. Fell in love, the people who work for him complain about her, relationship with brother fails apart and then family business say on your bike.

He is definitely loser number 1.
And Meghan is definitely winner number 1, imagine going from an actress who was pretty much unknown to one of the most talked about woman who married a prince and lives in a palatial home.
Old 03-03-2021, 11:50 PM
Courtier

These accusations won't change anyone's mind...
Old 03-03-2021, 11:55 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalNight View Post
Will M&H sue the Times?
Who knows what will happen going forward? We do know that M&H's attorneys sent a legal letter debunking the claims. The Times has published what was leaked/ handed to them, and they made the decision that these 3 years old accusations are news and decided to go with what was given to them.

Some observers feel that The Times should have passed on what clearly looks suspiciously like pushback attacks against M&H agreeing to speak out in the upcoming interview. If there's any legitimacy to the accusations in The Times, then it all should have been dealt with and fully investigated when it occurred. The earrings nonsense reeks of some kind of ill-motivated and ill-conceived set-up against Meghan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyDrx View Post
And Meghan is definitely winner number 1, imagine going from an actress who was pretty much unknown to one of the most talked about woman who married a prince and lives in a palatial home.
Indeed, the constant unrelenting daily U.K. press stories and attacks against Meghan, even when she's been unseen publicly for weeks at a time, have certainly made her the most talked about woman in the world.
Old 03-03-2021, 11:59 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyDrx View Post
Meghan was on a hugely popular television show. Both on cable and Netflix.

She was well enough known she was asked to be the spokeswoman for major international charitable organizations like the UN and World Vision.

She isn't the nameless out of work actress desperate for a fancy house you make her out to be.

And if she was, she would have wanted to remain a working royal. How much fancier a house, more money and fame could she get?

As for the complaints even if investigated likely nothing to come of it. How many people every week complain to HR their boss 'is a task master'. People who can't deal with the pressure of the job and lay complaint on their boss as not being supportive enough. Plenty.

Does it make them a loving boss? No. Does it make them a bully? No.
Old 03-04-2021, 12:00 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Ester View Post
"The suggestion seems to be that the palace is leaking partial information. And the lack of a full statement is leading to more speculation and rumors. If they were going to make public the information about the earrings, then the full story should have been known. Instead of allowing rumors to run around."

Well, I hope Oprah will Meghan a question about the earings, just to set the story straight

What's the deal with the earrings? What earrings? I can't find the whole story.
Old 03-04-2021, 12:06 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenMathilde View Post
Here is why the earrings are being discussed.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...wn-Prince.html

(sorry, it is the Daily Mail, but it was the quickest source to pull.)

To my knowledge, there has been no official confirmation as to the provenance of the earrings. I don't know if the Royal Family ever released lift of wedding presents. If they did, I didn't see it at the time.
Old 03-04-2021, 12:13 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
It's discussed in the D&DoS news and current events thread.
Old 03-04-2021, 12:13 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Without going off-topic The earrings story came from the Times article written by Valentine Low. It's behind the paywall. Like MaiaMia_53 mentioned in the previous post, it has been discussed in the Sussexes News and Currents Events thread.

Royal aides reveal bullying claim before Meghan’s Oprah interview
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/r...view-7sxfvd2c3

I could private message you the segment with the earring story if you want the full detail
Old 03-04-2021, 12:26 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
His statement on Meghan wanting to be a victim from the start, so she could convince Harry to get out and move back to the States is an interesting interpretation/observation from the staff that he talked to...
How convoluted, offensive and preposterous a summation by this journalist. When we see two people so obviously as deeply in love as Harry and Meghan, this type of desperate accusation beggars belief.

This faulty, 11th hour media interpretation is in direct opposition to everything we witness in M&H's words and interaction in their engagement interview. M&H's engagement interview is memorable to this day for their expression of genuine enthusiasm and eagerness to make an important contribution to representing and furthering the worthwhile work and positive influence of the monarchy. Had the Sussexes been fully supported by the royal firm they could have done so much to aid the Crown in their work with Commonwealth projects and initiatives. What a shame.
Old 03-04-2021, 12:49 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsrichie View Post
The hypocrisy of the palace aides to leak about those earrings is just astonishing.

Are we ready to discuss Elizabeth’s jewels?
The difference is Queen Elizabeth does not claim/portray to be a humanitarian nor constantly support sustainability or cruelty-free products. It's almost the same argument about climate change, where The Queen has stay out of it. That is what I like about her.
Old 03-04-2021, 12:56 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC21091968 View Post
The difference is Queen Elizabeth does not claim/portray to be a humanitarian nor constantly preach about sustainability or cruelty-free products. It's almost the same argument about climate change, where The Queen has stay out of it. That is what I like about her.

But the problem is Betty is supposed to be a public servant who really should not be personally profiting from that.
Old 03-04-2021, 01:00 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
The difference is Queen Elizabeth does not claim/portray to be a humanitarian nor constantly preach about sustainability or cruelty-free products. It's almost the same argument about climate change, where The Queen has stay out of it. That is what I like about her.

And yet, the provenance of the jewels remains the same, regardless of who is or was the wearer in the royal family.

Please link to where Meghan ever 'preached about sustainability or cruelty-free products.' 'Preaching' in the negative connotation apparently intended here, is not the same as someone in a high profile position advocating through the example of simply wearing and using such products.
Old 03-04-2021, 01:01 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binny2 View Post
But the problem is Betty is supposed to be a public servant who really should not be personally profiting from that.
And she was rightfully criticised in the past and so did The Countess of Wessex.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...of-Wessex.html
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-16452634

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiaMia_53 View Post

And yet, the provenance of the jewels remains the same, regardless of who is or was the wearer in the royal family.

Please link to where Meghan ever 'preached about sustainability or cruelty-free products.' 'Preaching' in the negative connotation apparently intended here, is not the same as someone in a high profile position advocating through the example of simply wearing and using such products.
Evidence of Humanitarian:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/li...ations-meghan/

Evidence of Meghan supporting sustainable jewellery:
https://www.harpersbazaar.com/celebr...-vargas-goteo/

Quote:
Meghan Markle Favors Sustainable & Ethical Jewelry Lines
On numerous occasions, the Duchess of Sussex has been spotted sporting jewelry from sustainable lines. On the Royal Tour of Australia, for example, she wore jewelry from Ecksand. The Canadian brand is committed to sourcing conflict-free stones while using 100% recycled gold. Founder Erica Bianchini was thrilled to see Meghan wearing Ecksand pieces, including the Emerald Secret Heart Stackable ring—

“Just seeing her wear our pieces really reiterates to us that she must already be aligned with our values,” she told People Magazine. “And the way she brought them all together is so fun, she always put things together so naturally … I was really happy to see she chose [the emerald stackable ring] because I love emeralds and also they mean everlasting love,” Bianchini mentioned. “But I don’t think the Duchess needs any gems to reinforce that!”
https://www.peacefuldumpling.com/meghan-markle-jewelry
https://www.hellomagazine.com/fashio...all-interview/
https://www.businessinsider.com.au/m...18-5?r=US&IR=T

Yes, she may not have preached, but still support support sustainable jewellery, which contradicts her decision to wear the earrings. She could have worn other sustainable jewellery at Fiji and Charles' birthday dinner, given that she has many options to choose from.

I have edited my post.
Old 03-04-2021, 01:24 AM
Commoner

Quote:
And she was rightfully criticised in the future and so did The Countess of Wessex.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...of-Wessex.html
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-16452634

Evidence of Humanitarian:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/li...ations-meghan/

Evidence of Meghan supporting sustainable jewellery:
https://www.harpersbazaar.com/celebr...-vargas-goteo/

https://www.peacefuldumpling.com/meghan-markle-jewelry
https://www.hellomagazine.com/fashio...all-interview/

Yes, she may not have preached, but still support support sustainable jewellery, which contradicts her decision to wear the earrings. She could have worn other sustainable jewellery at Fiji and Charles' birthday dinner.
Supporting sustainable jewelry does not mean that one cannot wear jewelry mined from the earth. Megan did not indicate that she would always wear sustainable jewelry when she said that she supported it.
Old 03-04-2021, 01:39 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binny2 View Post
Supporting sustainable jewelry does not mean that one cannot wear jewelry mined from the earth. Megan did not indicate that she would always wear sustainable jewelry when she said that she supported it.
I was asked to provide evidence on Meghan's jewellery in relation to the allegation on The Times. I have never said that Meghan could not wear jewellery mined from earth, I was focussing more on the humanitarian and cruelty aspect. And Meghan's engagement ring was sourced from conflict-free mines, based on the fourth link (Business Insider) that I have provided earlier under the sustainable jewellery subheading.

Quote:
“Choosing a diamond from Botswana speaks to Prince Harry and Meghan’s shared commitment to social and environmental responsibility, as Botswana diamond mining has contributed to transforming Botswana into one of Africa’s most prosperous economies,” Money told Business Insider. “Botswana diamonds are also sourced from mines that follow internationally recognised labour and environmental standards.”
https://www.businessinsider.com.au/m...18-5?r=US&IR=T
Old 03-04-2021, 01:39 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Yes, she may not have preached, but still support support sustainable jewellery, which contradicts her decision to wear the earrings. She could have worn other sustainable jewellery at Fiji and Charles' birthday dinner, given that she has many options to choose from.
I know Meghan advocates for use of sustainable products, which I mentioned in my previous post. She does a lot to support designers who utilize ethical materials and manufacturing processes.

I personally do not feel that Meghan, as a new, pregnant member of the royal family who was going on her first royal tour about five months after the royal wedding and all the stress that led up to the event, that it's necessary to hold this young woman to a higher standard than anyone else in the royal firm. None of us are completely perfect and consistent to a fault in everything and in every step we take. I think Meghan has done a good job of holding herself to high standards. It was up to the palace and their staff to guide and protect her in the first place, not to purposely take advantage of her in a negative way which is what this current belated release of information about the earrings looks like.

It is questionable what Meghan was told about the jewels and their provenance. As well, at the time, other negative stories appeared in newspapers regarding tiaras, but this story didn't appear at that time. This story about the earrings doesn't make anyone look good in the royal family, nor among the staff who presented this selection of jewelry to Meghan. Who leaked false stories about tiaras that appeared at the time? Let's remember that Meghan was pregnant when a lot of these negative stories began circulating relentlessly in the U.K. media. Neither Meghan nor Harry spoke out at the time, as they were probably hoping to receive protection from within, which never came. Everything continued to get worse.

Trying to connect Meghan to Kashoggi's murder through her wearing the earrings, is like the negative story in The Telegraph attempting to connect Meghan's visit to the mosque which housed the Hubb Community Kitchen, to somehow supporting terrorism.
Old 03-04-2021, 01:47 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiaMia_53 View Post

I know Meghan supports sustainable products, which I mentioned in my previous post. She does a lot to support designers who support ethical materials and manufacturing processes.

I personally do not feel that as a new, pregnant member of the royal family who was going on her first royal tour about five months after the royal wedding and all the stress in the lead up to it, that it's necessary to hold this young woman to a higher standard than anyone else in the royal firm. None of us are completely perfect and consistent to a fault in everything and in every step we take. I think Meghan has done a good job of holding herself to high standards. It was up to the palace and their staff to guide and protect her in the first place, not to purposely take advantage of her in a negative way which is what this current belated release of information about the jewels looks like.

It is questionable whether what she was told about the jewels and their provenance. As well, at the time, other negative stories appeared in newspapers regarding tiaras, but this story didn't appear at that time. The story doesn't make anyone look good in the royal family, nor among the staff who presented this selection of jewelry to Meghan. Who leaked false stories about tiaras that appeared at the time. Let's remember that Meghan was pregnant when a lot of these negative stories began circulating relentlessly. Neither Meghan nor Harry spoke out at the time, as they were probably hoping to receive protection from within, which never came. Everything continued to get worse.

Trying to connect Meghan to Kashoggi's murder is like the negative story in The Telegraph attempting to connect Meghan's visit to the mosque which housed the Hubb Community Kitchen, as supporting terrorism.
Thank you for your reasonable explanation in a polite manner. I understand and agree with you that mistakes and confusion happens (e.g. Princess Eugenie's and Wessex's children's title) and the press (not just the tabloids) are vicious, especially in spinning narrative depending on their political/social agenda. What I don't agree with you are the handling/dealing of the press and the rights/freedom of the press, but we could respectfully disagree.
Old 03-04-2021, 02:18 AM
Royal Highness

No matter anyone's beliefs, freedom of the press and fair, responsible journalism has nothing to do with relentless and defamatory publication of false and misleading stories.

Closed Thread

Tags
archie mountbatten-windsor, duchess of sussex, duke of sussex, meghan markle, prince harry, sussex