The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2021, 05:49 AM
Gentry

Absolutely love Princess Eugenie video. At around 12:30 the interviewer ask her if she gives a toss about the HRH title before her name and she says "well... Would you have invited me to speak if I didn't have that?" And the interviewer says "no".

This is the truth of the matter. Let us all be honest: no one in the BRF would be invited to speak on any stage if it was not for their birth and it is the case in many royal families. In all honesty, bare Queen Maxima and Queen Letizia who even without titles would have become superstar in their own right on a multi national stage, none of the other could have gotten opportunities of those scales.

WA, Prince William, CP Victoria in Europe could have been good in their field and maybe famous within their sector but I believe that is all?

Old 02-28-2021, 05:54 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Except that James Corden is British, is popular with British audiences and has been since his Gavin and Stacey days, winning awards for his comedy. I don't know why it should be thought that the British wouldn't like something light with two old mates having fun. Not everyone in Britain always wants to watch ultra serious programmes.
James Corden is extremely well known in the UK. For many reasons and had been since he left University and joined The History Boys. In many ways he has a similar trajectory to Harry. Was known for being a bit of an idiot falling out of clubs in the early days and then on and on. He must be, or approaching, 40 now.

His show does in the UK, but those types of chat shows are not that popular in the UK. The Sketches on them are though so loads of people watch carpool, the musical crosswalk think.

I also think it is fair to say he isn't as high profile in the UK as he used to be. He was everywhere but fame is fickle but Gavin and Stacey episode last Christmas was huge.

The sketch was very well made but apart from the obstacle course thing thing Harry had nothing to offer. He was good at that. And also to the person who said about Harry, or any royal, not competing with the talent of people like Adele. Well yes...no they don't. It is their modus operandi to promote other people...They rarely talk about themselves. Which is why when you see William with drug addicts or footballers struggling with their mental health and just listening you think: Wow. Their whole life is to be a mouth piece for others.

If Harry was talking about Invictus or his work it would have been really good but Harry as Harry or indeed any of them as themselves are not that interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post

Are Monarchists really going to spend the next 40/50 years watching his every move and then point out the obvious?

He is gone, he will only be seen again in The UK for family events or specific occasions. Let him go his own way.

LaRae
Of course not. In fact their is already talk in the UK that the York Princesses and Sophie are gaining more interest when writing about. If this is the case the media will be more likely to print their work and they will become more visible.

Harry is just today's royal story. The buck will move, life will change, the Cambridge children will grow up and grap the headlines. He will be reduced to a narrative. The brother who left, probably seen as glamorous and wealthy, while the others run around in wellies with the kids in braces talking to homeless people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvaH View Post
Absolutely love Princess Eugenie video. At around 12:30 the interviewer ask her if she gives a toss about the HRH title before her name and she says "well... Would you have invited me to speak if I didn't have that?" And the interviewer says "no".

This is the truth of the matter. Let us all be honest: no one in the BRF would be invited to speak on any stage if it was not for their birth and it is the case in many royal families. In all honesty, bare Queen Maxima and Queen Letizia who even without titles would have become superstar in their own right on a multi national stage, none of the other could have gotten opportunities of those scales.

WA, Prince William, CP Victoria in Europe could have been good in their field and maybe famous within their sector but I believe that is all?
Love the York girls...and she and practically all of the rest of them bar Harry (I think he did get it once) and Andrew and probably Margaret...definitely Duke of Windsor... get this. But they do become special...some of them...In their own right because of the work they do. Princes Trust, Duke of Edinburgh awards, William and Kate for Mental Health. The Queen just the Queen. Camilla and domestic violence and literacy. You look at that and go they are changing lives and the narrative. And in fairness to Harry, the Invictus game is an amazing thing that gives purpose to many.

Old 02-28-2021, 06:27 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Except that James Corden is British, is popular with British audiences and has been since his Gavin and Stacey days, winning awards for his comedy. I don't know why it should be thought that the British wouldn't like something light with two old mates having fun. Not everyone in Britain always wants to watch ultra serious programmes.
Well, that makes him a poor "friend" IMO.

Anyway, James Corden (Like Oprah) is hardly going to miss the opportunity to produce something that is guaranteed to result in a high number of views. That would be stupid.

I'll repeat myself: H&M first job at present is not to suck up to their fanbase, they are already in place. If they want their plans to really take off, they need to convince the general public that what they are doing makes sense, that they are serious and that they won't embarrass the BRF and the Britons too much.

The hardcore detractors can safely be ignored. They won't switch to a positive outlook on H&M unless they personally rescued fifteen children from a burning orphanage. And even then it would be difficult...

Okay, what do H&M have that sets them apart from everybody else?
A special talent? Not really.
A lot of money? No.
Are they famous in regards to the general American public? - Apart from their royal status, not really. They are not movie, rock or sports stars.
Do they have experience in regards to running a successful business? No.

Okay, in what way are royals in general expected to behave, when compared to ordinary celebrities? In the eyes of the average American that is?
A certain dignity perhaps?
If Prince Harry in particular, but also Meghan, become too "ordinary" what makes them interesting in the long run, in the eyes of the average American?

Until H&M - if they ever do - sets up a serious and major philanthropic enterprise from which they work, they will IMO have to do some serious rope-walking!
Once they have set themselves up as serious philanthropists, then they can start acting like normal celebs, because by then their royal affiliation is no longer relevant for what they are doing.
But until then, that royal status is pretty much all they got.
Old 02-28-2021, 06:39 AM
Majesty

Quote:

but that's the exact point. The Royals would not have much interest in them, except for their royal status.. so when they go on TV etc it is NOT to talk about themselves or promote themselves, it is to support their country/charities. Harry wants to be free of the obligations of royal life, but he also wants to be on TV etc and make money from his status... which he essentially rejects.. yet he must know that if he weren't HRH P Harry, James Corden wouldn't give him the time of day...
Old 02-28-2021, 06:55 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
I'll repeat myself: H&M first job at present is not to suck up to their fanbase, they are already in place. If they want their plans to really take off, they need to convince the general public that what they are doing makes sense, that they are serious and that they won't embarrass the BRF and the Britons too much.
My feeling is that for "general public" (which is definitely not anyone visiting these forums, because we are interested in royals by default, for whatever reason), his "niche" is that of the "good bloke" who is obstructed by what he really wants to do (which is what a lot of people want: just have a nice little family, have freedom to do their own thing) by that mean old royal family (read audience comments on a dutch news site of "his old granny taking away his patronages, just for no reason at all").
Just like his mom was a "lovely gal" who was treated meanly by the same family.

"The crown" and other works of fiction have helped build that image, and Harry is going along with it, building his new profile on that flow.

just imo ofcourse
Old 02-28-2021, 07:14 AM
Majesty

Quote:

WA's, William's and Victoria's realities are somewhat different because the three of them were (or in the case of William and Victoria are) in a likely position to become King or Queen one day and, as such, their lives were pretty much mapped out for them from a very early age and they didn't have much room for choice. It is impossible to tell how their lives would have turned out if they had not been in that position because their education, upbringing, in fact all their life circumstances would have been completely different.

I guess a point that continental European posters like to make here is that, in some European monarchies, junior royals, namely people who are not in direct line to the throne, are free to pursue careers in the private sector and, many times, they are quite successful in what they do. Strictly speaking however, that is actually true only in the Netherlands, or in smaller countries like Luxembourg and Monaco. Elsewhere, members of the Royal House are still expected to do at least part-time royal duty and there are restrictions on the kind of private activities they can engage in, the caveat being that membership of the Royal House may be, however, quite limited and exclude for example siblings of the current King like in Spain.

Perhaps the latter is what makes the most sense, i.e. define a core group of state-funded working royals to whom restrictions may apply and who are expected to do full or at least part-time royal duty , and let the rest of the Family live as private citizens. What is shocking about H&M baling out is that, even in a slimmed down monarchy, as the youngest son and the daughter-in-law of the future King, they would normally be expected to be part of that core group of working royals, especially in a monarchy with a heavy workload as it is the case of the British monarchy.
Old 02-28-2021, 07:32 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
My feeling is that for "general public" (which is definitely not anyone visiting these forums, because we are interested in royals by default, for whatever reason), his "niche" is that of the "good bloke" who is obstructed by what he really wants to do (which is what a lot of people want: just have a nice little family, have freedom to do their own thing) by that mean old royal family (read audience comments on a dutch news site of "his old granny taking away his patronages, just for no reason at all").
Just like his mom was a "lovely gal" who was treated meanly by the same family.

"The crown" and other works of fiction have helped build that image, and Harry is going along with it, building his new profile on that flow.

just imo ofcourse
I dont know about abroad but in the UK there is a note nuanced opinion on all of those people. And Diana's legacy now is certainly nuanced and there is a lot directed at the media and not the family. And culpability pointing at her too.
Old 02-28-2021, 08:16 AM
Serene Highness

I quite like James Corden. And we've seen William do some of these half-jokey interviews, albeit in a more dignified way, but that's always been as part of a TV charity fundraiser or to draw attention to a cause. But Corden's a well known actor/comedian, and his co-hosts on his A Game Of Their Own TV programme are a former top level cricketer and a former top level footballer. Harry's just coming across as a pure celeb who's only famous for who his family are: he's not a working royal, and he's not famous for his work. There's no law against that, and there seem to be plenty of people these days who are just famous for being famous, but I just find it a bit embarrassing.
Old 02-28-2021, 08:18 AM
Serene Highness

My reaction to the video was that it was enjoyable. While I enjoy a good tidbit about royals, I was a bit taken aback at how easily Harry dropped the Q Bomb, i.e., the story about The Queen gifting Archie a waffle iron. Harry very willingly offered that information up, along with the tidbit about how Prince Philip ends his Zoom calls, those tidbits cannot be attributed to entrapment by some wily interviewer.

I don't agree with Harry's point about audiences knowing that The Crown is "obviously" fictionalized, the producers and distributor (Netflix) do not put any kind of disclaimer with the program, and while I understand the need for some license, there are some liberties taken that go beyond the pale. Furthermore there have been polls taken that show that most readers do NOT take what is reported by tabloids as fact. So Harry not having a problem with The Crown but having a problem with the tabloid media does not add up.

I don't have a problem in and of itself with Harry doing this skit with James Corden, nor with Meghan and Harry's upcoming interview with Oprah, that does not mean that I can't and won't have problems with specific comments or attitudes displayed.

I don't see it as that big of a deal that Harry and Meghan do interviews and participate in things like the Corden sketch versus something like The Queen doing the James Bond sketch for the London Olympics, by the way I liked that sketch up until the part where James Bond jumps out of the plane with the stunt queen and then cut to The Queen wearing the same dress as the stunt Queen, that took it into cringey territory. Anyhoo, I am not seeing where there is greater nobility or virtue in getting tens of millions each year in duchy income, in addition to Sovereign Grant funds and access to crown/public owned properties and other assets, and doing "public service" as part of the deal versus earning a private income and using that income and your high profile to do good works.
Old 02-28-2021, 09:20 AM
Heir Apparent

The Corden segment seemed to have been a hit. Those who already like Harry will still do. Those who don't will still not. But really this was a nice appetizer for the main dish coming up next week.

Harry had his moment to shine, so to speak. Meghan will have hers. And then I suspect we likely will go back to spontaneously popping up to promote projects but mostly stay to themselves like they are now.

Meghan is quite a bit along in her pregnancy, so I doubt we will see a lot of her but we well see. Either way I am looking forward to next week. Also this week the final piece of the trial concludes.
Old 03-02-2021, 06:21 PM
Nobility

Oprah with Meghan and Harry

Can’t find the right forum thread that is open concerning the staff of the Sussexes, but the London Times have explosive story on Megan’s alleged bullying of staff.
“The sources approached The Times because they felt that only a partial version had emerged of Meghan’s two years as a working member of the royal family and they wished to tell their side, concerned about how such matters are handled by the palace. The complaint claimed that she drove two personal assistants out of the household and was undermining the confidence of a third staff member.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/r...view-7sxfvd2c3
Old 03-02-2021, 06:24 PM
Commoner

This story seems like a repeat to me. I feel like I’ve heard the bullying claims before.

Anyways that’s pretty big accusation.
Old 03-02-2021, 07:58 PM
Courtier

Maybe the people who got bullied by her or both should insist to have an investigation started just like it was done in Luxembourg. [...]
Old 03-02-2021, 08:01 PM
Commoner

https://twitter.com/thetimes/status/...085773314?s=21

This is a really bad look for the palace. [...]

[...]
Old 03-02-2021, 08:18 PM
Majesty

[...]The action of the "Aides" or staff are anonymous and I find the bullying accusations beyond ridiculous. When a royal or celebrity feels something is important in the job, bullying the staff when there are shortcomings is counterproductive. In Meghans case she may be a perfectionist for all we know however, no member of the cast or crew of 'Suits' rushed off to dish the dirt once she was gone. People do not change their character or habits easily so I find the notion that she bulled staff at Kensington Palace highly suspect. To me it comes across as vindictive, malicious bullying and, if anyone had any sense of decency or even self preservation, they would "clean house" pretty smartly. After all, the next person they dish on may be them.
Old 03-02-2021, 08:28 PM
Heir Apparent

The article (and timing) is interesting. I see the words bullying but I didn't see one example of what she apparently did other than allegedly make someone cry. It will be interesting to see how it goes though.

But not surprised by the counter-attacks. I expect the upcoming weeks will be very very fascinating on all sides.
Old 03-02-2021, 08:35 PM
Commoner

[...]

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
The action of the "Aides" or staff are anonymous and I find the bullying accusations beyond ridiculous. When a royal or celebrity feels something is important in the job, bullying the staff when there are shortcomings is counterproductive. In Meghans case she may be a perfectionist for all we know however, no member of the cast or crew of 'Suits' rushed off to dish the dirt once she was gone. People do not change their character or habits easily so I find the notion that she bulled staff at Kensington Palace highly suspect. To me it comes across as vindictive, malicious bullying and, if anyone had any sense of decency or even self preservation, they would "clean house" pretty smartly. After all, the next person they dish on may be them.

And lazy people who saw her “American work ethic” as bullying, is what I suspect. Remember the complaints about early morning emails from years ago.
Old 03-02-2021, 09:06 PM
Aristocracy

Ppl need to realise that every country has different working culture. For example in UK you are entitled to have up to 52 maternity leave while in US it's only 12 weeks. So say, when an American becoming a manager in UK, if she/he didn't allow his/her subordinate to take that much leave because it wasn't that way in US, then was the subordinate lazy when she insisted to take 52 weeks leave? That's a written rule, another example for unwritten rule: in Japan, it's very unbecoming for a junior employee to go home before his/her senior (senpai), doesn't matter whether she/he still have work to do or not, they have to wait to leave office when/after their senpai leave (same office, not same company mind you), if they don't then tongue will wage and if it continues they can forget about getting promotion soon.

I'm fortunate to be assigned to work in different countries with different working environment and I learnt that the phrase of "In my country, we do it like this" will get me negative reaction from my crews and thus will only make my working life difficult until my next transfer unless I change my attitude and follow how it's done there instead of enforcing how it's done in my country.
Old 03-02-2021, 09:34 PM
Courtier

I agree that different people have different expectations based on where they originally come from and these shape their work practices when they move to a new country.

However, I never realised until reading a few of these comments that there were geographical boundaries around treating people with respect regardless of whether you are their superior or not.
Old 03-02-2021, 09:38 PM
Commoner

Oprah with Meghan and Harry

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathl29 View Post
I agree that different people have different expectations based on where they originally come from and these shape their work practices when they move to a new country.

However, I never realised until reading a few of these comments that there were geographical boundaries around treating people with respect regardless of whether you are their superior or not.

I don’t think it has to do with respect here. We haven’t even heard any specifics. Just the term “bullying”.

Interestingly enough, if it weren’t Royal Family, these leaks might be seen as a former employer (Buckingham Palace/the monarchy) bullying a former employee (Meghan).

Closed Thread

Tags
archie mountbatten-windsor, duchess of sussex, duke of sussex, meghan markle, prince harry, sussex