The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2021, 02:13 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Merel View Post
Considering the dude ranked #1 as most popular royal for years and did a lot of service for the BRF, this is not at all fair.
I'm talking about the present-day, that period of popularity was before he married Meghan and became preachy. Plus, popularity is a fickle thing, you can be extremely popular today and be detested tomorrow, just ask Edward VIII and Andrew.

Old 02-26-2021, 02:22 PM
Aristocracy

British Prince pretend-peeing in stranger's house to promote himself...
Can't wait for Oprah interview.

Old 02-26-2021, 02:23 PM
Serene Highness

I do see a problem with the way he views the Crown - personally I feel he is under contract not to say anything against Netflix in general as most people who work with the company have the clause in their contract. So legally he cant say anything negative.
But saying that a bluntly inaccurate depiction of your family's past and the obvious undercurrents of The Crown is better then your personally depiction in the tabloid media is laughable. So attacks on my family are acceptable, just don't say Meghan's dress is ugly. Surely Harry knows that popular culture like TV soon becomes fact, he is in the industry now. And he thinks people believe tabloid journalism more - hmm. What tea is he smoking? People know the tabloids for what they are - they were there decades before H& M and will be decades afterwards. No-one gives them the light of day - but if the Sussex's get negative press then it is oh they are attacking my mental health. Either he is immature that he takes his popularity and press way too heart or he is extraordinary vain and needs the public admiration and sympathy to validate his existence. Either way - good luck in LA.
Old 02-26-2021, 02:23 PM
Heir Apparent

I really enjoyed the interview. Lighthearted and a lot of fun.
Old 02-26-2021, 02:30 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Actually, Harry asked to use the bathroom at the home where "The Fresh Prince of Bel Air" was filmed. It was a comedic spiel into getting Harry to have that home as his LA base. I thought it was funny. In these times, we *do* need a respite from everything being dire and gloomy. I don't know about anyone else but I mention watching Netflix a lot and Hulu and preferring to stream things rather than watch live TV. In fact, throughout the entire interview, I can't say that I saw either Harry or James "plugging" anything at all.

Three syllables. A most difficult word for a lad his size. I can just imagine the routing. "See you later, alligator" with Archie chiming in "After while, crocodile" and busting into a fit of laughter.

OH! Another part I found interesting is Harry being asked who would ever "play" him and he names Damian Lewis. I'm in the middle of streaming all the episodes of "Homeland" where Lewis plays Nick Brody. I remember clearly thinking that he's a ginger like Harry was when Lewis was on screen.
I also don't think he needed to use the bathroom - I think it was just meant to be funny.
Old 02-26-2021, 02:53 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fijiro View Post
I also don't think he needed to use the bathroom - I think it was just meant to be funny.
How was it funny?
Old 02-26-2021, 03:19 PM
Serene Highness

Ir was a way well made interview. James Corden is certainly worth whatever they are paying him. And Harry is very fit.

Beyond that...tumbleweed.

Corden could have done that with a plank of wood and Harry was not particularly charismatic or interesting in it. Dull.

In fact the only two interesting things that were said were about the Queen and Prince Philip. Which is interesting to me because before i would have loved any details about Harry.

Royalty makes average (sometimes below) people star sprinkled. Without it you better have gifts.

Because what is Harry? Really? Well obviously very fit but little else. He has very famous relatives and is as a consequence very famous.

I don't think, on the back of this, that is sustainable.

Maybe she can carry them both now. Lets see what she can do on Oprah
Old 02-26-2021, 03:52 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
On a lighter note, "See you later, alligator" would sound quite different in British and American English due to the flapping (?) of the intervocalic 't' in the American pronunciation and the mute final 'r' in 'alligator' in the British pronunciation (the final 'r' in 'later' wouldn't normally be pronounced either in British RP, but in this particular sentence, I believe it is, because it is followed by a vowel).

I wonder how Archie would pronounce that sentence having an American mother and a British father.

On Harry's casting suggestion, isn't Damian Lewis too old to play him? Wikipedia says he's 50.
Children always adopts the accents of the country/place where they grow up, so if Archie ends up growing up in America, he will have American accent.

Winston Churchill's mother Jennie Jerome was American, Winston Churchill of course had British accent, he grew up in Britain.
Old 02-26-2021, 04:20 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy7 View Post
Royalty makes average (sometimes below) people star sprinkled. Without it you better have gifts.

Because what is Harry? Really? Well obviously very fit but little else. He has very famous relatives and is as a consequence very famous.
"Famous" is relative. Harry is famous because he's a royal and has a way with making people feel comfortable around him. Tiger Woods is famous because he's an excellent golfer. Ghislaine Maxwell is famous for her association with Jeffrey Epstein. I'm not famous because nobody really knows me and I'm not in the public eye for anything but my Foodie with a Snout thinks I'm good with giving him food.

Harry's gift is his charisma and his ease being in and around people and making them feel comfortable and listened to. I would say that is a gift that is needed for one going into philanthropy and raising donations for charities and incentives. Would he make it in the PGA? Nope. Not a chance. I have no clue if Harry's ever golfed in his life.
Old 02-26-2021, 04:32 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
"Famous" is relative. Harry is famous because he's a royal and has a way with making people feel comfortable around him. Tiger Woods is famous because he's an excellent golfer. Ghislaine Maxwell is famous for her association with Jeffrey Epstein. I'm not famous because nobody really knows me and I'm not in the public eye for anything but my Foodie with a Snout thinks I'm good with giving him food.

Harry's gift is his charisma and his ease being in and around people and making them feel comfortable and listened to. I would say that is a gift that is needed for one going into philanthropy and raising donations for charities and incentives. Would he make it in the PGA? Nope. Not a chance. I have no clue if Harry's ever golfed in his life.
Not here he didn't. There was no sign if any charisma. Although I agree I have seen it in the past.

Fame isn't t relative . It is quantifiable and qualifiable.

Harry's fame in my view has nothing to do with anything you said and everything to do with birth.

And those talents he has, while I dont disagree. Are ten a penny and thankfully for us shown by many nurses doctors, teachers, counsellors etc about making people comfortable. In fact his own brother is phenomenal at all those things.

The cold hard reality is that they need to build a sustainable.brand and he is not going to enable this. Maybe she will.
Old 02-26-2021, 04:35 PM
Heir Apparent

It's amusing and lighthearted. Both men have picked up a true Southern California idiosyncrasy by adding "the" before the number/name of a freeway/highway ie: "the 405."

I'm not surprised that he seemed to be okay with the Crown due to the Netflix connection to the Sussexes.
Old 02-26-2021, 04:45 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerry View Post
Thank you Osipi for your positive comments about the Cordon interview. I too enjoyed this light hearted escapade into the wilds of LA and appreciated the many common touches (can I use your bathroom: even Royals need to pee!) that were highlighted by Cordon. Yes, there was clever product placement: Netflix and Jeopardy (Alex Trebek was famously Canadian) but Harry is a professional: his performance in the obstacle course, clearly marking his speed to help Cordon out, was exemplary; At the end of the interview, however, I was also sad because the Royal Family has clearly lost a star performer in the Prince;
Ever since the COVID-19 pandemic, the Queen and the royal family has done brilliantly in supporting frontline workers, their patronages and charities, as well as continuously conducting engagements in different formats. There was not a big hole when Harry & Meghan left. In fact, some may suggest that they are not missed at all in terms of duties and engagements.

Quote:
I am sure the 'grey men' at Buckingham Palace are kicking themselves with 'what could have been'.
I'm pretty sure these "men in grey suit" (whatever the Sussexes want to call them to play the victims) probably said "good riddance" when they left, because the Sussexes have been perceived to be self-centred and arrogant by not following royal protocols, thinking they can modernise the royal family, wanting the royal family to work around them not the other way round, hiring their own PR team and make the leaving announcement without much advance notice.

Quote:
What I will be watching for is the British press reaction to this clear attack on their 'toxic' reaction to his 'stepping back', some of which I read in the various posters on this forum, to my dismay.
A lot of public figures have negative encounter with the press. What Harry & Meghan been through since the leaving announcement is a fraction of some politicians and celebrities get. I don't think the press is too upset by the word "toxic", given that it has been used endlessly. I'm pretty sure the press is used to getting criticism and hate from public figures and members of the general public.

Quote:
Shame, really; but there are many Daily Fail readers on this forum, I think. A little bit of kindness never hurt anybody.....
I'm pretty sure most people on this forum despises the Daily Mail as well as other tabloids (Daily Mirror, Daily Express & The Sun) and shelf magazine (New Ideas) and can make them own opinions without reading them... Unlike the Mail, most people here like Harry & Meghan initially and stay loyal until the Sussexes leave as senior working royals mainly due to the way they left. Speaking of kindness, it's always those people including celebrities who speak about compassion or with the #BeKind hashtag on social media who are the least kind and most vile (E.g. vitriol thrown at Captain Tom Moore, Prince Philip when at hospital, Boris Johnson when in intensive care or when Wilfred Johnson is born and named). This also applied to some staunch Sussex supporters who have been vile to the members and staff of the royal family (The Queen, Prince Philip, Prince Charles, Duke and Duchess of Wessex, Angela Kelly) by throwing accusation of racism and misogyny, as well as wishing ill on them.
Old 02-26-2021, 04:48 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
It's amusing and lighthearted. Both men have picked up a true Southern California idiosyncrasy by adding "the" before the number/name of a freeway/highway ie: "the 405."

I'm not surprised that he seemed to be okay with the Crown due to the Netflix connection to the Sussexes.
We do that in the UK except there is m in front of motor ways The M4, the M6 etc etc. They just put in the number of the American roads.
Old 02-26-2021, 04:55 PM
Courtier

Quote:

The cold hard reality is that they need to build a sustainable.brand and he is not going to enable this. Maybe she will.

Well he's the one with the charm. If he can't build it they won't build it.
Old 02-26-2021, 05:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Not here he didn't. There was no sign if any charisma. Although I agree I have seen it in the past.

Fame isn't t relative . It is quantifiable and qualifiable.

Harry's fame in my view has nothing to do with anything you said and everything to do with birth.

And those talents he has, while I dont disagree. Are ten a penny and thankfully for us shown by many nurses doctors, teachers, counsellors etc about making people comfortable. In fact his own brother is phenomenal at all those things.

I couldn’t agree more...I suppose in America he might end up famous for being famous, like they used to say of George Hamilton. Harry’s being jolly doesn’t do anything for me - like a poster said above, apparently his family is limited to his wife and child. Father depicted as a beast ? No big deal. He’s sold his soul for the almighty dollar...

What’s this about asking to use the bathroom ?
Old 02-26-2021, 06:00 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I rather enjoyed the video of Prince Harry with James Corden. Harry seems like a good sport. Archie seems super sweet.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 02-26-2021, 07:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
We do that in the UK except there is m in front of motor ways The M4, the M6 etc etc. They just put in the number of the American roads.
Thank you poppy7. I hadn't known that and now I can see that Prince Harry and James Corden would use "the" when referring to the freeway.
Old 02-26-2021, 07:44 PM
Courtier

I watched the James Corden interview with Harry and was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. You could tell they were friends which helped it flow well and it felt like I was seeing the Harry of old in some parts of it.

Harry comes off best in this light-hearted type of setting as whether he likes it or not he is not viewed as an intellectual heavyweight which impacts how he is perceived when he talks on serious issues. Not sure I needed the cameo with Meghan but they are a duo and Harry will feature in the Oprah interview so I can understand why she was there and showed their connection well.

There was the obvious plugs to Netflix but they are now ‘employed’ by them so as celebrities rather than Royals they have to do this. The only part I found problematic was the reference to The Crown as there have been articles indicating Charles, William and Earl Spencer are not happy with the portrayals. I wonder how well Harry’s statements will age when The Crown moves fully into its telling of the War of the Wales.

This was great PR for Harry and Meghan and my concern for them is that they will undo all that with the Oprah interview.

Oprah is a different style and loves a more emotional, victim style interview which is also primarily focusing on Meghan who is undoubtedly less popular which I doubt will go down as well as this one has. I think James got the scoop on Oprah and I hope I am wrong and that they don’t end up wishing they had stopped at this interview.
Old 02-26-2021, 07:47 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
I couldn’t agree more...I suppose in America he might end up famous for being famous, like they used to say of George Hamilton. Harry’s being jolly doesn’t do anything for me - like a poster said above, apparently his family is limited to his wife and child. Father depicted as a beast ? No big deal. He’s sold his soul for the almighty dollar...

What’s this about asking to use the bathroom ?
When talking about the toxic press coverage, he said ".... seeing stories written about my family, or my wife, or myself ..."; so he didn't limit his family to his wife and child.
Old 02-26-2021, 08:12 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
I noticed that. In the UK, you say the BBC and Philip is in hospital. Here it would be the opposite. It's showing on ABC and Philip is in the hospital.

Tags
archie mountbatten-windsor, duchess of sussex, duke of sussex, meghan markle, prince harry, sussex