The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2021, 07:40 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
To reiterate what Prince Harry said-The Crown can be unfair in its portrayal of people as it is FICTION. They have poetic license to glorify or villify people as much as they want to.

However when the press tries to pass off factual information as fictious lies that is the proplem and that us wrong.

Stevie Wonder could see the point the Prince was trying to make.
But its not ficiton. It is based on fact and a lot of people will beleive that it is fact....

Old 02-26-2021, 07:42 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by intothesea View Post
True, but we will still be subject to seeing them around now. Oprah and James Corden, People Magazine inset covers, this is just week #1. When the Oprah interview comes out, there will be likely a People cover story. Then talk about it on the morning shows, etc.

Harry will be in a media blitz, even if most Americans donít follow him. I donít follow many of the US shows and celebrities, but I can still see an image and usually say ďoh, thatís so-and-so promoting xyzĒ.

I assume he knows this? His interview in South Africa made him sound skeptical of any media. But, he seemed to have changed his mind.

It is okay for him to decide what he wants to do, but I do think heís in a predicament because he will have to talk about his family and media loves the idea of drama, so he may walk into a few traps where things he says will become the headline, and heíll find himself in a familiar situation where he feels the media is unfair.
If you donít buy People, their being on the cover wonít matter. If you donít watch Oprah, it wonít matter about the interview. If you donít care about H and M and/or the BRF, Americans can avoid them. My country is in dire straights, so are most Americans. Under the best of circumstances, H and M would only generally be covered by celebrity or gossip magazines...under these terrible circumstances, thatís still how theyíll be covered. This media blitz is going to come off as tasteless... but most of us wonít be paying attention

Old 02-26-2021, 07:46 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
If you donít buy People, their being on the cover wonít matter. If you donít watch Oprah, it wonít matter about the interview. If you donít care about H and M and/or the BRF, Americans can avoid them. My country is in dire straights, so are most Americans. Under the best of circumstances, H and M would only generally be covered by celebrity or gossip magazines...under these terrible circumstances, thatís still how theyíll be covered. This media blitz is going to come off as tasteless... but most of us wonít be paying attention
They would not be doing this, if Americans weren't interested in them. They have to make money, they have their deal with Netflix to fulfil and if they don't have fans in teh US who will watch their stuff on TV and other media, then they will lose out. So they're not doing this with Oprah cos they want to chat to her, its to make money.. If most people ignore them, dont watch their shows etc, they're gonna fail at their money making...
Old 02-26-2021, 07:46 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Charities Need and like the publicity, which is why they always tweet about donations received.

Harry looks healthy and happy with his old friend in this interview, which is more than he did in London. If Harry and his wife were stifled and miserable in their positions and under fire from a vile press day and night for every single little thing they did and said, they are surely allowed to leave the RF without being accused of being traitorous and disloyal every five minutes. And surely Harry knew and knows the state of his own mental health better than any outsider does.

As for speaking about Archie, which wasn't much, most people including royals talk to others about their children at times. Diana did, Kate and William do. Why is Harry not allowed? Harry and Meghan wanted some privacy for themselves and their child. That meant not being probed and found fault with by the British tabloids all the time, not that they wished to remain silent about their lives and offspring for all time.
Exactly! For ex. the Cambridges have given similar interviews in the past where they discussed things like Christmas presents, what kind of shows their kids watch..etc.
Public figures and royals know people like insight into aspects of their lives not normally scene and as such share them on interviews just like this.
Old 02-26-2021, 07:51 AM
Heir Presumptive

Gotcha - Harry is perfectly fine with his father being destroyed by the Crown because itís ďloosely based on factsĒ.

I think Iím done with him permanently now.
Old 02-26-2021, 07:53 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
They would not be doing this, if Americans weren't interested in them. They have to make money, they have their deal with Netflix to fulfil and if they don't have fans in teh US who will watch their stuff on TV and other media, then they will lose out. So they're not doing this with Oprah cos they want to chat to her, its to make money.. If most people ignore them, dont watch their shows etc, they're gonna fail at their money making...
Denville, I think I know much more about my country than you do. I stand by everything I said. If you read what I wrote, I said MOST Americans don’t care about H and M or the Royals. Some people do...maybe that’s enough to make H and M money, because we have a population of over 320 million. That doesn’t mean Americans in general care.
Old 02-26-2021, 07:56 AM
Majesty

Quote:
If you don’t buy People, their being on the cover won’t matter. If you don’t watch Oprah, it won’t matter about the interview. If you don’t care about H and M and/or the BRF, Americans can avoid them. My country is in dire straights, so are most Americans. Under the best of circumstances, H and M would only generally be covered by celebrity or gossip magazines...under these terrible circumstances, that’s still how they’ll be covered. This media blitz is going to come off as tasteless... but most of us won’t be paying attention

I don't know. America may be in dire straits (quite frankly, most of the world is right now), but lots of people watch Oprah and/or read People magazine. In fact, during bad times, people tend to turn to gossip and entertainment even more as a form of stress relief and escapism.

I agree with what other posters said about Harry sounding skeptic about any kind of media in South Africa and now turning to a media blitz in America. Apparently, he is not against the media when he finds it friendly, which is pretty much the case with the US media outlets he is approaching.

In a way, Harry is more comfortable in America because, as Denville says, in the UK there are lots of people in the press/media who are openly anti-royalist or even anti-monarchist and will take advantage of anything to slam the Royals and accuse them of preferential treatment, misuse of public funds and things like that. In the US, since the RF plays no public role and royals are just seen as celebrities like any ordinary movie, music or sports stars, he doesn't have to deal with that.
Old 02-26-2021, 08:19 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Denville, I think I know much more about my country than you do. I stand by everything I said. If you read what I wrote, I said MOST Americans donít care about H and M or the Royals. Some people do...maybe thatís enough to make H and M money, because we have a population of over 320 million. That doesnít mean Americans in general care.

I'd agree with this. The people I work with and my family don't care at all about Harry or Meghan. I think it's a small percentage like me who loves history or remembers their mother that cares about them. I don't think the Oprah interview is going to get the great ratings they think it will just going by the people I know.
Old 02-26-2021, 08:34 AM
Serene Highness

I watched the interview because I didnít want to comment without seeing it and had the unexpected reaction of feeling sad about the whole thing.

They seem to want superstardom and piles of money, and justify those as essential parts of the philanthropy they wish to do. But thatís just not the case. You can totally make a success out of an organization without bandying your face around. Heck, one can even be a famous and critically acclaimed actor without becoming a celebrity (Daniel Day Lewis, hello, and a lot of British thespians). Same goes with nearly all these big name philanthropists, who were known for their talents first.

It was a fun enough interview, light, and sure it made Harry seem likable but heís nearly always been that. But itís so so so common. Like who wants this life, over the amazing heritage he was born with and the endless possibilities if only they were smart enough to know what to do with what they had and how to navigate those adversities.

Itís just sad, this made me sad.
Old 02-26-2021, 08:34 AM
Serene Highness

I saw this mentioned on Sky News earlier. The same bulletin mentioned that the Queen, 94 years old and no doubt worried sick about Prince Philip, had spoken out about the importance of the vaccination programme, that Prince Charles and Camilla had been visiting medical staff, and that Sophie Wessex had trained as a volunteer at a vaccination centre. Meanwhile, Harry gives an interview about himself.

I've been treated for mental health problems myself in the past and am not unsympathetic, but "any husband and father" wouldn't just pack in a stressful job and a stressful life and run off to Hollywood, because most husbands and fathers are not in a financial position to do that.

I'm really finding Harry's behaviour quite frustrating.
Old 02-26-2021, 08:57 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
I saw this mentioned on Sky News earlier. The same bulletin mentioned that the Queen, 94 years old and no doubt worried sick about Prince Philip, had spoken out about the importance of the vaccination programme, that Prince Charles and Camilla had been visiting medical staff, and that Sophie Wessex had trained as a volunteer at a vaccination centre. Meanwhile, Harry gives an interview about himself.

I've been treated for mental health problems myself in the past and am not unsympathetic, but "any husband and father" wouldn't just pack in a stressful job and a stressful life and run off to Hollywood, because most husbands and fathers are not in a financial position to do that.

I'm really finding Harry's behaviour quite frustrating.

I think this was filmed before Prince Phillip went into the hospital and before Harry lost his patronages.

If he's going to pick a fight with the royal family he's fighting a losing battle.
Old 02-26-2021, 09:12 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Denville, I think I know much more about my country than you do. I stand by everything I said. If you read what I wrote, I said MOST Americans donít care about H and M or the Royals. Some people do...maybe thatís enough to make H and M money, because we have a population of over 320 million. That doesnít mean Americans in general care.
Obviously enough people to make money for H and Meghan. And a heck of a lot more than support them now in the UK...
Old 02-26-2021, 09:23 AM
Nobility

It was cringeworthy to hear the plugs for various products throughout this interview. It was almost like a satire, as if he was making fun of people who plug products during interviews to see how many times he could get it in.

This is, unfortunately, not compatible with a "life of service" as the couple have stated they wanted. This doesn't mean they can't serve others or do good, but I am reminded of the Biblical quote that one cannot serve two masters. Once you are beholden to an outside organization that you owe your lifeblood to, you are simply not free to dedicate your life to service the way that is necessary. A true life of service in the way it is meant, for example, when The Queen uses it, means that they cannot be held back by their obligation to promote other services. I am surprised Harry, with his upbringing, did not understand this.
Old 02-26-2021, 09:31 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighGoalHighDreams View Post
It was cringeworthy to hear the plugs for various products throughout this interview. It was almost like a satire, as if he was making fun of people who plug products during interviews to see how many times he could get it in.

This is, unfortunately, not compatible with a "life of service" as the couple have stated they wanted. This doesn't mean they can't serve others or do good, but I am reminded of the Biblical quote that one cannot serve two masters. Once you are beholden to an outside organization that you owe your lifeblood to, you are simply not free to dedicate your life to service the way that is necessary. A true life of service in the way it is meant, for example, when The Queen uses it, means that they cannot be held back by their obligation to promote other services. I am surprised Harry, with his upbringing, did not understand this.

I didn't hear any plugs for products. What products did they plug? He didn't criticize The Crown but he's being paid by Netflix so that didn't surprise me. I've never seen it - the pictures of Diana that look nothing like Diana were enough to put me off.
Old 02-26-2021, 10:09 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by moby View Post

It was a fun enough interview, light, and sure it made Harry seem likable but he’s nearly always been that. But it’s so so so common. Like who wants this life, over the amazing heritage he was born with and the endless possibilities if only they were smart enough to know what to do with what they had and how to navigate those adversities.
Yes, that's a good way of describing the interview to me. It felt 'common.'

Sure, the royals do talk about their personal lives from time to time when visiting their patronages or performing duties. I can remember the Queen being at some engagement and mentioning her grandson (James) really liked cars...or William saying George is obsessed with dinosaurs. But these are always throwaway anecdotes while doing something else, a visit to an organization or promoting a cause. This was just Harry promoting...himself and Meghan. Sitting on an open-top bus chatting away about his life, the Queen, Prince Philip and Archie and the waffle-maker for no other reason than to promote his own personal "brand."

I didn't like that. But then, I follow royals and rarely follow celebrities. They're two totally different ways of existence (public service and duty for the Crown vs. promoting oneself in order to conduct "philanthropy" while living a life of luxury on the side).
Old 02-26-2021, 10:14 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenMathilde View Post
I didn't hear any plugs for products. What products did they plug? He didn't criticize The Crown but he's being paid by Netflix so that didn't surprise me. I've never seen it - the pictures of Diana that look nothing like Diana were enough to put me off.
Sorry, not sure if "products" was the right word, as I meant things like Netflix which is more of a service. I cannot agree that the discussion of The Crown was not an arranged promotion. The idea isn't whether he criticizes it or praises it, the idea is akin to a "product placement" on an episode of a TV show.
Old 02-26-2021, 10:14 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay286 View Post
Yes, that's a good way of describing the interview to me. It felt 'common.'

Sure, the royals do talk about their personal lives from time to time when visiting their patronages or performing duties. I can remember the Queen being at some engagement and mentioning her grandson (James) really liked cars...or William saying George is obsessed with dinosaurs. But these are always throwaway anecdotes while doing something else, a visit to an organization or promoting a cause. This was just Harry promoting...himself and Meghan. Sitting on an open-top bus chatting away about his life, the Queen, Prince Philip and Archie and the waffle-maker for no other reason than to promote his own personal "brand."

I didn't like that. But then, I follow royals and rarely follow celebrities. They're two totally different ways of existence (public service and duty for the Crown vs. promoting oneself in order to conduct "philanthropy" while living a life of luxury on the side).

I would say Harry and Meghan are now officially celebrities and no longer royalty.
Old 02-26-2021, 10:54 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
After reading through the comments here, I sat down with my morning coffee and watched the video. I loved it. I thought it was casual and entertaining. I saw absolutely nothing to complain about. The context in which Harry talks about his family is one that anybody would talk about their family in. Granny ordering Archie a waffle iron. Grandpa ending a zoom session by just closing the laptop. Average nights at home reading the kid a book before bedtime (installs a love of books and reading. I had to beam at that) and then settling down with programming that a bazillion other families do.

They did focus a bit on Harry being royal. The tea service on the open top bus was kind of, what I saw as, British humor. A taste of home. Then the comparison of "flipped upside down" with the show "Fresh Prince of Bel Air". All with a sense of humor.

Harry hasn't lost it yet. Slim and fit tackling that military style obstacle course. Having fun while doing it. He's keeping physically fit and the fact that he mentioned his mental health, to me, emphasized that it's just as important to maintain mental health as well as physical health. I can't name one person that could go through the onslaught of the British press against them and *not* be affected mentally.

Many have mentioned the comparison Harry made between the "The Crown" and what the Sussexes had gone through aimed at them. With "The Crown" being fiction, it was far easier to swallow what was presented in that series than it was to endure what they had to go through that was taken by many as factual. From their perspective. They weren't throwing anyone under the bus and they weren't plugging anything in that interview at all. Maybe that the house from "Fresh Prince of Bel Air" is up for sale. Maybe?

It was fun. It was lighthearted and I don't think it was meant to be taken seriously as expression of opinion on anything or anybody. I think perhaps people are reading things between the lines that really aren't there. But that's just my opinion based on my perspective of the whole thing.
Old 02-26-2021, 10:55 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenMathilde View Post
I would say Harry and Meghan are now officially celebrities and no longer royalty.

Well, Harry did say (in bad English grammar): "you know that us royals don't carry cash".
Old 02-26-2021, 11:31 AM
Courtier

I don't know. I don't have a problem with them promoting products as long as they are now celebrities and not royals. I just have a problem with them saying nasty things about the royal family.

I think this interview was before Harry lost his patronages. We'll see what he says in the Oprah interview.

For now I thought the interview was fine.

Closed Thread

Tags
archie mountbatten-windsor, duchess of sussex, duke of sussex, meghan markle, prince harry, sussex