The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2021, 08:58 AM
Majesty

[...] The Remembrance ceremony is on behalf of the nation.. and so it consists of the RF and representative organsiations laying their wreaths.... so it would not be the case that anyone would come along as a private person to lay a wreath....
but clearly the queen and RF felt that it had to be made clear to Harry that he wasn't a working royal any more....

Old 01-02-2021, 09:57 AM
Courtier

I assumed that she had been at least notified at the time so I'm not surprised she was the one that made the decision. The right one I think as that would have turned the ceremony into another big discussion on Harry and Meghan and overshadow everything else. She probably didn't expect that they would deliberately turn it into one and a publicity stunt anyway with that photoshoot.

He could have had an army friend lay his expensive wreath at the Guards Chapel or elsewhere on his behalf if that was important to him.

Old 01-02-2021, 10:03 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
I assumed that she had been at least notified at the time so I'm not surprised she was the one that made the decision. The right one I think as that would have turned the ceremony into another big discussion on Harry and Meghan and overshadow everything else. She probably didn't expect that they would deliberately turn it into one and a publicity stunt anyway with that photoshoot.
As the trip to the cemetry, complete with photographer demostrated, this was very much the right decision.
Old 01-02-2021, 12:41 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
As the trip to the cemetry, complete with photographer demostrated, this was very much the right decision.
I dont suppose she foresaw that one....
Old 01-02-2021, 12:56 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
And I think it was very much the correct decision!
Absolutely.

Peter Hunt tweeted this:

Quote:
An interesting aspect of this @RE_DailyMail story is that the palace has opened up the Queen (not just officials) to the charge of being mean spirited towards her grandson who fought in her name:
But I find this ridiculous. Harry made his choice, and that’s all well and good, but there are consequences to that choice. He doesn’t seem to understand that there’s no half-in and half-out. The below quote is spot on. H and M seem to have taken this decision and others like it personally, which is unfortunate.

Quote:
'The deals they have done since moving to California clearly show the truth of it: they simply had ambitions that were completely incompatible with being members of the Royal Family,' an insider told me.

'It was their choice to leave and seek their fortunes elsewhere. No one exiled them. Indeed, the Queen made clear she didn't want Harry and Meghan to go and that they are still very much-loved members of her family and have her support.

'Harry and Meghan are clearly where they want to be, and good luck to them.

'But their subsequent career choices have scuppered any chance of retaining even a quasi-official royal role.'
Old 01-02-2021, 01:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Peter Hunt tweeted this:

An interesting aspect of this @RE_DailyMail story is that the palace has opened up the Queen (not just officials) to the charge of being mean spirited towards her grandson who fought in her name:
Seeing as none of the other non-working members of the British royal family were allowed to lay wreaths during the official portion of the ceremony (whether or not they had served in the military), wouldn't the "charge of being mean spirited" apply to all of them and not only to her grandson?
Old 01-02-2021, 01:29 PM
Heir Apparent

I think the royal household know H&M have so far been happy to attack royal aides, the household itself etc but have stopped short of criticising HM herself. The point being made is that HM signed off on the decision so criticising it is criticising her. HM and her staff see it as quite simple - official working royals lay wreaths. H&M can be official working royals if they drop their commercial deals etc - their choice, their decision and either way HM will support them but in this particular area the effects of that decision are quite clear (no wreath)
Old 01-02-2021, 01:30 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
Seeing as none of the other non-working members of the British royal family were allowed to lay wreaths during the official portion of the ceremony (whether or not they had served in the military), wouldn't the "charge of being mean spirited" apply to all of them and not only to her grandson?
Of course...but Hunt has been laying into HM/BRF for months...
Old 01-02-2021, 01:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
Of course...but Hunt has been laying into HM/BRF for months...
I believe that, as with most royal reporters, he is simply reporting accurately on what is being said in certain quarters. My question was directed at those who would make those "charges", not at Mr. Hunt.
Old 01-02-2021, 06:03 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
I believe that, as with most royal reporters, he is simply reporting accurately on what is being said in certain quarters. My question was directed at those who would make those "charges", not at Mr. Hunt.
No, that’s his opinion...You were the one who responded to my post about Peter Hunt, and since it’s pretty clear Hunt is making those charges, I responded in kind.

[...]
Old 01-02-2021, 07:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
You were the one who responded to my post about Peter Hunt, and since it’s pretty clear Hunt is making those charges, I responded in kind.
I'm sorry, I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

Quote:
No, that’s his opinion...
In my previous response I was referring to the quotation above: "An interesting aspect of this @RE_DailyMail story is that the palace has opened up the Queen (not just officials) to the charge of being mean spirited towards her grandson who fought in her name". With this statement, it is not opining that the Queen deserves to be charged with meanspiritedness, only that he thinks that it might happen.

If your post was not in reference to that quotation, then I apologize for the confusion.
Old 01-02-2021, 08:05 PM
Imperial Majesty

I saw no harm in the Sussexes laying a wreath. Actually I thought it was laudible that they did a remembrance as well.

Closed Thread

Tags
archie mountbatten-windsor, duchess of sussex, duke of sussex, meghan markle, prince harry, sussex