The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-31-2020, 05:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

I was wondering if maybe the Queen made it clear to them that they couldn’t have any references to the royal family in their private enterprises.

Old 12-31-2020, 06:00 PM
Nobility

A good point, Curryong, that I had not considered.

Old 12-31-2020, 06:08 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc1 View Post
I was wondering if maybe the Queen made it clear to them that they couldn’t have any references to the royal family in their private enterprises.
Harry is a member of the royal family himself, and I hardly think the Queen, his grandmother, would have said to him that under no circumstances was he allowed to mention family like his father, brother, sister in law or herself in any statements.
Old 12-31-2020, 06:21 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Harry is a member of the royal family himself, and I hardly think the Queen, his grandmother, would have said to him that under no circumstances was he allowed to mention family like his father, brother, sister in law or herself in any statements.
I'd say it is more than likely that he's been forbidden from talkng about the RF in his working life..
Old 12-31-2020, 06:30 PM
Royal Highness

Curry, that is a good point about it being potentially awkward with Meghan not mentioning her own father. I was upset earlier, but I never thought it was about Harry not loving his father or not being on good terms with him.
Old 12-31-2020, 06:33 PM
Majesty

The thing about not involving the Crown in any commercial activities was worked out months ago at the time of the negotiations. Since then Harry and Meghan have mentioned the Queen in reference to the Commonwealth Trust and there have been exchanges via IG/Twitter on various Royal birthdays etc, including Harry's. I hardly think mentioning his father or grandmother or indeed any relatives on Archewell (unless he insults them of course, which won't happen) is going to constitute a breach of some code or agreement which we don't know the details of anyway.
Old 12-31-2020, 06:54 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
That might be. If so they could form the intro differently.
Old 12-31-2020, 07:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
That's a good point and one item that I believe would have been part of the January 2020 meeting at Sandringham.
Old 12-31-2020, 08:03 PM
Nobility

Their PR companies don't seem to have any idea. They could have made it more about -- this is Archie whom we love and would like to do this in his honour -- rather than the whole mothers thing.
Old 12-31-2020, 08:20 PM
Royal Highness

@Curryong - sorry not sorry for Charles and Thomas being left out of Archwell opening of the website. Both fathers have hurt their children by different means but still publicly so why should Harry and Meghan owe filial loyalty to them? The Dads can stay mad. Besides in certain courts of public opinion Charles and Thomas are not getting Father of the Year awards. Both men have negative opinions placed on them and that's due to their voluntary actions.
Old 12-31-2020, 08:30 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Verseau View Post
@Curryong - sorry not sorry for Charles and Thomas being left out of Archwell opening of the website. Both fathers have hurt their children by different means but still publicly so why should Harry and Meghan owe filial loyalty to them? The Dads can stay mad.
Seriously... What has Charles done for the past couple of months in 2020 that hurt Harry & Meghan?

Let's not forget, it's the Sussexes' decision to leave their roles as senior working royals, they were not kicked out by force.

If anything, Charles have been very generous and accomodating to his children and grandchildren. Some may said that he has been too lenient and not firm/strict enough.

You can support Harry & Meghan without bashing other members of the Royal Family
Old 12-31-2020, 08:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Verseau View Post
@Curryong - sorry not sorry for Charles and Thomas being left out of Archwell opening of the website. Both fathers have hurt their children by different means but still publicly so why should Harry and Meghan owe filial loyalty to them? The Dads can stay mad. Besides in certain courts of public opinion Charles and Thomas are not getting Father of the Year awards. Both men have negative opinions placed on them and that's due to their voluntary actions.
What a disgusting thing to say : to put Charles and Thomas Markle at the same level, REALLY ?
Its just wrong and untrue. And i'm polite.
That's why this thread is going nowhere , you just can't discuss with people with such phony arguments (and i'm polite as well).
Nauseating.
Old 12-31-2020, 08:37 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
why oh why the explicit focus on mothers and strangers?
This is just baiting responses in defense of fathers, brothers and sisters, grandparents, cousins, friends etc etc
If Doria is Meghan's only family member that she is closed to, it potentially explains why fathers, brothers and sisters, grandparents, cousins, aunts and uncles were left out on the website.

I personally think it's not just a big slap on Prince Charles and Thomas Markle, but also members of the Royal Family and Meghan's family (particularly on her maternal side, who has stay out of the media spotlight and behave incredibly). But then again, why should I be surprised, given that Harry said in a BBC radio interview that The Royal Family is the family Meghan never had.
Old 12-31-2020, 08:43 PM
Courtier

Let's not forget that Harry is where he is today because of his parents and grand parents.
If he was Harry Smith from Windsor nobody would be interested, no big wedding no big bank balance.
Other than his army salary his money until recently has all came from family. Trust funds and inheritance.
Just worth noting.
Old 12-31-2020, 08:49 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
As Archewell grows, perhaps there will be areas where Harry, as a father, stresses the importance of fatherhood and being a hands on parent.

I've not checked the Archewell site yet and only know what's been written here but I do not see Meghan focusing on the topic of motherhood and pictures of their mothers (and Archie's grandmothers) a slap in the face to anyone. Meghan has been about empowering women and girls for a long, long time and in this respect, she's shining a light on the fact that being a mother can be empowering. It's a fact that Diana is Harry's mother and I don't think Charles, or anybody for that matter, would want that shoved under the carpet. It is what it is.

I keep remembering too that Archewell is brand spanking new and what we see now is just the seed starting to sprout. What we see now is not the full extent of what Archewell is planned to be. It's up and running and that's a good start.
Old 12-31-2020, 09:05 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC21091968 View Post
Seriously... What has Charles done for the past couple of months in 2020 that hurt Harry & Meghan?

Let's not forget, it's the Sussexes' decision to leave their roles as senior working royals, they were not kicked out by force.

If anything, Charles have been very generous and accomodating to his children and grandchildren. Some may said that he has been too lenient and not firm/strict enough.

You can support Harry & Meghan without bashing other members of the Royal Family
Right? I mean, if Charles has hurt Harry in the past, it certainly wasn't on purpose. He certainly loves his "darling boy" a great deal and has tried to do best by him even if he's not perfect (Note: NO ONE is perfect).

The idea that public opinion polls matter at all when it comes to parental/filial love is staggeringly mind blowing.

Thomas and Meghan's relationship is their own thing - it has nothing to do with Charles and Harry.

What cruel post.

I DO understand that maybe it might have been awkward for Harry to mention Charles when Meghan didn't Thomas, but as I think about it.......that's just how life is. H shouldn't have to avoid praising/showing public affection and respect for his father just because M has a lousy relationship with hers.
Old 12-31-2020, 09:08 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
As Archewell grows, perhaps there will be areas where Harry, as a father, stresses the importance of fatherhood and being a hands on parent.

I've not checked the Archewell site yet and only know what's been written here but I do not see Meghan focusing on the topic of motherhood and pictures of their mothers (and Archie's grandmothers) a slap in the face to anyone. Meghan has been about empowering women and girls for a long, long time and in this respect, she's shining a light on the fact that being a mother can be empowering. It's a fact that Diana is Harry's mother and I don't think Charles, or anybody for that matter, would want that shoved under the carpet. It is what it is.

I keep remembering too that Archewell is brand spanking new and what we see now is just the seed starting to sprout. What we see now is not the full extent of what Archewell is planned to be. It's up and running and that's a good start.

Who exactly is trying to diminish Diana's influence on Harry? It's Charles who gets the short stick most of the time, truthfully, when it comes to stuff like this.
Old 12-31-2020, 09:12 PM
Nobility

I think I am in the minority that I find the website itself very nice and welcoming. I also do not buy for a moment that any agreement to keep the Royal Family out of commercial endeavors could somehow be construed to mean that Harry could not say that his father modeled compassion for him. I do appreciate Curryong's insight that perhaps that decision was made to avoid highlighting that Thomas would inevitably be missing from any mention of "parents." Even if this is the case, I still think it is a terrible slap in the face to Charles and a wrong decision, but I think Curryong is probably on to something in terms of how and why the decision was made.

Osipi, you may feel differently (or perhaps not) when you look at the site. While I am in the minority here in thinking the site itself is quite nice, the messaging is- to be frank- just bizarre. If the idea was to promote how empowering motherhood is, one wonders why not just leave it at that: We are two people whose mothers modeled compassion for us. Or, indeed, mothers and other strong, enlightened, women. Instead, they said they had compassion modeled by their mothers and by complete strangers, so indeed, they are going to pains to point out that they are not just focusing on mothers, but on everyone who models compassion. This makes the exclusion of Harry's father, one of the world's foremost servant-leaders, absolutely bizarre.

For those who follow the Royal Family and have done for decades and for whom Charles's philanthropy, charity, care for others- yes, his compassion- is well known, for his son to start an organization based on this concept and say outright, this is based on how compassion was modeled "by my mother and complete strangers" has taken me, and perhaps others, aback. I am not saying I "fault" Harry or "have a problem" with it, just that I am... taken aback.
Old 12-31-2020, 09:28 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
OK. I've had a chance to look over the Archwell site. With the photos they've selected for the background, it amplifies the first couple of lines "I am my mother's son and I am my son's mother". I see nothing wrong with that at all. I don't see a slap in the face to anyone there either.

Now for the lines "We have experienced compassion and kindness,From our mothers and strangers alike." Maybe I'm interpreting it differently but I don't see them saying it's *only* their mothers and strangers. I took it to be kind of an A-Z kind of thing encompassing all strata of human relationships with A being the love and compassion of a mother to Z being complete strangers. Everyone else falls in between and that, of course, could include fathers and siblings and aunts and uncles and cousins by the dozens and friends and acquaintances.

Just my interpretation of what I've seen.
Old 12-31-2020, 09:32 PM
Courtier

Although I think the sentiment they are trying to imply is actually quite nice the wording about mothers they they have chosen is problematic. As other posters have pointed out this could be due to clauses previously determined that we are not aware of and I hope so.

When Diana died, Charles stepped up and raised both boys by himself (yes with nannies etc before everyone attacks me) and both William and Harry have turned out well and Charles deserves to take some credit for that, not just Diana.

All this wording does is give the media the chance to reflect on the fact that it is a slap in the face to Charles yet again. If they are bound by previous clauses then perhaps they should have focused on being parents and the future rather than being children and the past.

Is this intentional? Only Harry and Meghan know the answer to that. The cynical part of me says there is more money to be made by including Diana at the moment. If it is intentional and not due to any previously determined clause then I would suggest that the upcoming 12 month review will be very interesting.

Tags
archie mountbatten-windsor, duchess of sussex, duke of sussex, meghan markle, prince harry, sussex