The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 1: September-December 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO the British public in general were welcoming, there are always republicans that are not interested but that doesn't make them hostile.
The Markle family started it with the comments, then the press kicked in, I also think they shot themselves in the foot with how the decided to deal with the press. There might have been a better way. I don't think the public turned against them as such but different incidents caused a cooling off, the public were seeing a different side that they didnt like. A bit hypocrisy was creeping in.
Also something I had never really seen before was the support that Meghan has that in some cases would turn against other royals, that was all new and the general public didn't like that either.
They wanted to leave but didn't like the terms so they stamped their feet.
There is an element of disinterest now, people are bored with the messaging, it is all about self.
It is sad, but the public will get over It.
They have chosen celebrity.

What do you mean by the bolded part?

I agree with you, though......and ultimately I think the British people probably don't care about Harry and Meghan anymore because they rejected the UK and chose another country. I doubt anyone wishes ill on them, but that is not the same thing as caring what they are up to or wishing that they were back. For H and M, the country they've chosen pretty much couldn't care less about them - outside of their devoted fans. Yes, there are those of us in America who love the Royals, but that's the BRF/Monarchy as a whole. There are a sub-set of fans - H and M stans - who will love the Sussexes no matter what and who will follow them no matter what. For the rest of us in America, we have much, much bigger issues....and even when we didn't have Trump or a Pandemic to deal with, interest in the Royals was never a national thing.

Thanks for posting the new photos of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, polyesco.

I’ve just checked out the restaurant’s Facebook, Instagram and website.

Don’t know why it’s being reported that a steak costs $125 dollars US - that’s not the price on the website menu.

Might be a bit strange for Prince Harry to eat off a plate with the business name looking back at him.

Reported as celebrating the baby news of the Fosters.

Won’t be surprised if the new baby gets a Royal godparent or two, especially if the two couples are close enough to spend Christmas with each other.

I think it was reported that the Fosters live only a couple of doors down the street from the Sussexes.

Last edited:
IMO the British public in general were welcoming, there are always republicans that are not interested but that doesn't make them hostile.
The Markle family started it with the comments, then the press kicked in, I also think they shot themselves in the foot with how the decided to deal with the press. There might have been a better way. I don't think the public turned against them as such but different incidents caused a cooling off, the public were seeing a different side that they didnt like. A bit hypocrisy was creeping in.
Also something I had never really seen before was the support that Meghan has that in some cases would turn against other royals, that was all new and the general public didn't like that either.
There is an element of disinterest now, people are bored with the messaging, it is all about self.

I dont think its bothering the British public all that much and I dont think that the majority of the British public were crazy about them when they married... but they weren't hostile. I think the press did seem to be more critical at the beginning than was usual.. but Im not sure what that was about. I agree that her family's being hostile to her, was probably a factor... (Possibly there was some racist feeling as well, I can't say)..But I think the fact that she was at odds with many of her birth family was something that gave the press something to chew on.. and it fuelled critical stories, which in turn fuelled the sort of nasty internet comments that are common nowadays. Or maybe the Press felt there was something rather fake about her, and that she would not fit in, and so they were more sharp in their attitude...
But if H and Meg had just gotten on with their work and lives, ignored the press, concentrated on their work, if they were doing a good job over the next couple of years, probably the public and press would have settled into a tolerant if not adoring attitude. But that's normal for royals and any public figures. They wont be adored all the time. I think that Meghan didn't expect to get any criticism at all, or she thought that if they did, the RF would somehow stop it..
But fact is nobody gets good press all the time.
In short, I dont think the public were all that excited by her. People who met her liked her but then that's usual.. the people who go to a royal event are usually there because they like the royal so the odds are that they will find the royal likable in the few mins they see her close up...

Won’t be surprised if the new baby gets a Royal godparent or two, especially if the two couples are close enough to spend Christmas with each other.

I think it was reported that the Fosters live only a couple of doors down the street from the Sussexes.[/QUOTE]

Wouldn't that be ironic that the Sussexes didn't have the decency to share the names of their child's godparents with the British public and their names will be splashed all over LA as sponsors or push partners, or whatever these vacuous people do when a baby is born.

In terms of fandom turning against other members of the Royal Family, I have seen some members of the Sussex Squad or Meghan supporters attacking other Royals on social media. For example, when Prince Charles did a moving tribute to the Windrush generation, some of the Sussex squad criticised Charles for not supporting Meghan, as a biracial woman from "UK's racism" (I personally think it's quite ridiculous and insulting to suggest that the British general public are racist).

Another example that I have read was after Princess Beatrice and Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi's engagement announcement, where some Meghan's fan attacked the couple for stealing the Sussex's attention from the Southern Africa tour. They also accused Princess Beatrice (or Edoardo) for "stealing" the design of Meghan's engagement ring (Princess Beatrice's ring looks nothing like Meghan's, it looks more like the Queen's).

Some of the Sussex squad have also slammed some Royal Family members as "stupid" and "uneducated" for supposedly not being academically gifted or even not attending university (Another rubbish comment given that the York Princesses have done quite well in secondary school and university; Prince Richard, Duke of Gloucester was a full-time architect).

There are other countless examples, where some of Sussex supporters are basically attacking the Royal Family at every cost. And their excuse (for attacking) is almost along the lines with "The toxic Royal Family did not protect Meghan".

Some these comments are vile and not just restricted to the Prince Charles, Camilla, William & Catherine. The York Princesses have recently become their recent target. Almost when every news about Beatrice and Eugenie comes up, they keep bringing Andrew's name in it.

I cannot remember a time when Cambridge supporters sending vile comments to Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie on social media during the tabloid/reports on the allege feud between the York Princess and The Duchess. Yes, there are some comments of "ugly step-sisters" or "freeloader", but these also come from Republicans/anti-monarchists or those not interested in the royal family.

Last edited:

I think it was reported that the Fosters live only a couple of doors down the street from the Sussexes.

Wouldn't that be ironic that the Sussexes didn't have the decency to share the names of their child's godparents with the British public and their names will be splashed all over LA as sponsors or push partners, or whatever these vacuous people do when a baby is born.

It would even be sadder that Archie would probably (physically) see more "Baby Foster" than Baby Brooksbank and his other paternal cousins (George, Charlotte, Louis, Savannah, Isla, Mia & Lena), especially when Harry and Eugenie were close since childhood.

Last edited:
I am afraid the that police have been called in even. The online conflict have lead many people to act disturbing in real life.
Royal journalists and photographers have been attacked in real life, both physically and verbally. There is an alarming increase of people been added to the watch list for crazies interested in attacking the royal family - and yes a lot are around Prince Andrew , but it is just as much Meghan supporters.
Omid Scoobie made a lot about the threats about burning his house down. But I have been told that the Middletons, Tindels, Brookbanks, Rhys- Jones and Parker Bowles families are getting it as well.

There is also a lot that isn't been said at the moment - which I don't think a lot of people are picking up on. Because the covid crisis is keeping is quite well hiding. They are no longer allowing people to stand outside of places where there are engagements, yes - they will not be having impromptu walkabouts at the moment. But also because there have been coordinated protests to yell racists at royals during engagements. The thing is you just need one crazy person with a gun to believe that they are doing Meghan a favor. And this emotive dramatic conflict has caused many of them to come out of the woodwork.

In terms of fandom turning against other members of the Royal Family, I have seen some members of the Sussex Squad or Meghan supporters attacking other Royals on social media. For example, when Prince Charles did a moving tribute to the Windrush generation, some of the Sussex squad criticised Charles for not supporting Meghan, as a biracial woman from "UK's racism" (I personally think it's quite ridiculous and insulting to suggest that the British general public are racist).

Another example that I have read was after Princess Beatrice and Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi's engagement announcement, where some Meghan's fan attacked the couple for stealing the Sussex's attention from the Southern Africa tour. They also accused Princess Beatrice (or Edoardo) for "stealing" the design of Meghan's engagement ring (Princess Beatrice's ring looks nothing like Meghan's, it looks more like the Queen's).

Some of the Sussex squad have also slammed some Royal Family members as "stupid" and "uneducated" for supposedly not being academically gifted or even not attending university (Another rubbish comment given that the York Princesses have done quite well in secondary school and university; Prince Richard, Duke of Gloucester was a full-time architect).

There are other countless examples, where some of Sussex supporters are basically attacking the Royal Family at every cost. And their excuse (for attacking) is almost along the lines with "The toxic Royal Family did not protect Meghan".

Some these comments are vile and not just restricted to the Prince Charles, Camilla, William & Catherine. The York Princesses have recently become their recent target. Almost when every news about Beatrice and Eugenie comes up, they keep bringing Andrew's name in it.

I cannot remember a time when Cambridge supporters sending vile comments to Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie on social media during the tabloid/reports on the allege feud between the York Princess and The Duchess. Yes, there are some comments of "ugly step-sisters" or "freeloader", but these also come from Republicans/anti-monarchists or those not interested in the royal family.

I don't see the point in that especially the attacks on Kate. Harry and Meghan weren't fired they left voluntarily. It was entirely their own decision. So how is it Kate's fault they are gone?

There are crazies all over. I remember seeing a whole conversation of Meghan haters describing how people should “hit her stomach” to prove she really pregnant. Just go down the Megxit social media. Talk about fearing for that woman’s life. These people even stalked Doria and posted about it.

This is why high profile people have security.

Last edited:
There were vile Tumblr sites spreading poison about Meghan as early as October 2016 that garnished thousands of supporters each, plus many Twitter posts spreading hatred of Meghan and Harry to this day, and huge support to William and Kate at the same time, so it certainly is ascribing a lot of power and influence to Sussex Squad members to believe that the hatred is all going in the one direction.

I've also noted that in the last year or more (perhaps due to the spread of Covid) that a huge number of truly crazy conspiracy theories have sprung up on the Internet regarding elites around the world, including the BRF. There are certainly crazy people who believe that elites and anybody attached to them are planning harm to populations around the world. I'd be more wary of people who believe those than anything else.

I used to be one of their biggest fan, I no longer am but I'm still participating in this forum, there are plenty of other Royals I am very fond of ! They were not my only interest.:eek:

Many here feel the same way. :flowers:
But there were a few who were solely interested in Meghan, and unable to tolerate the slightest criticism of her.

That's why the Sussex threads were constantly shut down. Lately that doesn't seem to be an issue.

I don't see the point in that especially the attacks on Kate. Harry and Meghan weren't fired they left voluntarily. It was entirely their own decision. So how is it Kate's fault they are gone?

According to Finding Freedom, Omid Scobie at one point mentioned that Catherine send flowers for Meghan for her birthday. Meghan wasn't "exactly happy" that Catherine did not support her enough (I assumed it's from the media's attack or courtiers/staff not bending to Meghan's demand). I don't know how true the allegation is, but from what I have read on twitter, these Sussex's squad accuses Catherine and other members of the Royal family for not "publicly speaking and defending Meghan" or "privately support her". The first one is absolutely ludicrous, given that Royal Family members rarely give public statements and it's often palace staff that shuts down stories that were false.

Some of these supporter argues that had Catherine supported her sister-in-laws more, Harry and Meghan would not have left as senior working royals. I think it's completely bonkers really. They seem to think that "Meghan is perfect and can do no wrong", "Royal Family and British public are at fault that she is not happy and getting attacks" or "Meghan is a victim of a toxic, racist and misogynistic/sexist (old, stale, pale, male) institution" :whistling:

Well, Harry and Meghan have now left the ranks of the working royals, so the criticism on all sides should subside from now on, everywhere, and that includes critical media comment from the tabloids on the Sussexes which continues daily as we speak.

Many here feel the same way. :flowers:
But there were a few who were solely interested in Meghan, and unable to tolerate the slightest criticism of her.

That's why the Sussex threads were constantly shut down. Lately that doesn't seem to be an issue.

No, it hasn't been an issue. However, as with a lack of tolerance of the slightest criticism, I do not believe that any praise of Meghan and Harry by posters should be immediately shot down, either.

There were vile Tumblr sites spreading poison about Meghan as early as October 2016 that garnished thousands of supporters each, plus many Twitter posts spreading hatred of Meghan and Harry to this day, and huge support to William and Kate at the same time, so it certainly is ascribing a lot of power and influence to Sussex Squad members to believe that the hatred is all going in the one direction.

I've also noted that in the last year or more (perhaps due to the spread of Covid) that a huge number of truly crazy conspiracy theories have sprung up on the Internet regarding elites around the world, including the BRF. There are certainly crazy people who believe that elites and anybody attached to them are planning harm to populations around the world. I'd be more wary of people who believe those than anything else.

Yep. Also we had high profile people come out and speak of how they were attacked for merely interacting with Meghan. The journalist from the The 19th went to twitter to talk about it. So did actress Yvette Nicole Brown.

I still see people on the internet claiming that Meghan faked her pregnancy and that Archie is not her child but from a surrogate. Unbelievable.

I've also noted that in the last year or more (perhaps due to the spread of Covid) that a huge number of truly crazy conspiracy theories have sprung up on the Internet regarding elites around the world

The internet has become a giant disseminator for trolls - unfulfilled self-hating people who relish the technological power to upset and terrorize - and above all, manipulate society. Like the gas-bag radio shock-jocks of old (and now), trolls are relatively small in number, but they relish the wildly outsized impact that they can make because decent people unfailingly allow themselves to be baited. I suspect 90% of harsh remarks about Meghan on the internet are intentionally posted to stoke polemic and division.

Last edited:
Yes, and with the internet it is sooo easy for all sorts of crazy people to get visibility.

It is such a shame how internet has gotten abused .. .but then humankind is very good at abusing everything; and sadly, even if it is only a very small percentage of people who are haters and trolls etc. they find a platform on internet and can pack together with other disturbed and sometimes dangerous people.

Yes, and with the internet it is sooo easy for all sorts of crazy people to get visibility.

It is such a shame how internet has gotten abused .. .but then humankind is very good at abusing everything; and sadly, even if it is only a very small percentage of people who are haters and trolls etc. they find a platform on internet and can pack together with other disturbed and sometimes dangerous people.

But mostly they are just sad tiresome nutcases, I doubt if they are any threat to anyone... Or they just enjoy being nasty and provoking a reaction.

https://expressinformer.com/congres...nd-harry-of-titles-for-election-interference/

Rep. Jason Smith, a U.S. Republican Congressman from Missouri, has written a letter to the British Ambassador to the US demanding that the UK government strip Harry and Meghan of the titles for their "meddling" in the US election through their urging people to vote and to reject hate speech. He writes,

"‘As you know, the British Royal Family has long observed a policy of strict neutrality in regard to political matters. I am therefore concerned by the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s recent comments regarding the United States Presidential Election, especially given international conversations surrounding foreign interference in our elections and the Duke’s status as a guest of the United States."

While I think that his demanding that their titles be stripped is ridiculous, I have to say that I DO agree that using their British titles as they urge people to vote in the US election (and Harry not even being a citizen) is inappropriate. I think that the Queen is going to have to be more strict about when they can and can't use their titles... I personally don't think they should use them at all, since they wanted so badly to become "private citizens" and step away from royal life (apparently so badly so that they don't even want to live in the country that they're supposedly representing). If they want to be private citizens so badly, why can't they just be Harry and Meghan Mountbatten-Windsor (we all know why- because it doesn't pack quite the punch as Prince Harry or the Duke and Duchess of Sussex. Most Americans would think "Who is Harry Mountbatten-Windsor?").

Last edited:
This is the same dude who said we should tax the sun. His issue is saying no to hate speech? What a self own. Lol. Anyways...

As I said it before, the TITLE means a lot to Meghan when she wants it to mean something, in her opinion. No one cares to listen to her or them, if it is only Mountbatton Windsor or Markle. With TITLE comes Responsibility and Obligation and this is what she does not want. She, they want their cake and eat it too. Title is a two way street.

I think the last straw for the Sussexes was how Archie was trashed first in the media by the reporter who likened him to a chimp and I have seen some awful comments on social media. I think it natural that Harry and Meghan would have been horrified and it something they could not just let pass. And probably they did not like that there was no statement condemning how Archie was derided in the media.

Also neither one of them endorsed a presidential candidate and Harry was quick to say he could not vote in the election.

I think the last straw for the Sussexes was how Archie was trashed first in the media by the reporter who likened him to a chimp and I have seen some awful comments on social media. I think it natural that Harry and Meghan would have been horrified and it something they could not just let pass. And probably they did not like that there was no statement condemning how Archie was derided in the media.

Also neither one of them endorsed a presidential candidate and Harry was quick to say he could not vote in the election.

The person who said that got fired. It wasn’t ignored. Social media is vile. It should be ignored by famous people imo.

Regarding voting, Meghan in some on- line venture regarding the election, she talked about getting the change we deserve. Clearly- she was talking about Biden. She endorsed him without directly endorsing him. But, she did it just the same. IMO- both would have been wise to just shut up about politics and voting. They invited controversy and criticism, and they had to know it beforehand.

They have foreign titles, which is the only reason anyone knows who they are. Meghan married well. That’s it. (That is not to take away from the fact that she is well educated and seems reasonably intelligent. But- that’s not why anyone cares what she has to say. It’s solely based on her marrying into a famous foreign institution that apparently she wasn’t equipped to handle- and now profits off of it.)

But I frankly haven’t seen much discernment in their public decision making over the last year or so. So, no surprise.

I should add- I tend to find celebrities, which is really what they are now, rather annoying when they use their fame to preach about what the the rest of us should do or think.....or tell me to vote period. I’m predisposed to be irritated by this.

Sounds awfully like more smears about Britain. One person out of nearly seventy million.

I think you will find that Twitter is an American company.

It was perfectly clear to everyone what the duke & duchess were saying.

The person who said that got fired. It wasn’t ignored. Social media is vile. It should be ignored by famous people imo.

Regarding voting, Meghan in some on- line venture regarding the election, she talked about getting the change we deserve. Clearly- she was talking about Biden. She endorsed him without directly endorsing him. But, she did it just the same. IMO- both would have been wise to just shut up about politics and voting. They invited controversy and criticism, and they had to know it beforehand.

They have foreign titles, which is the only reason anyone knows who they are. Meghan married well. That’s it. (That is not to take away from the fact that she is well educated and seems reasonably intelligent. But- that’s not why anyone cares what she has to say. It’s solely based on her marrying into a famous foreign institution that apparently she wasn’t equipped to handle- and now profits off of it.)

But I frankly haven’t seen much discernment in their public decision making over the last year or so. So, no surprise.

I should add- I tend to find celebrities, which is really what they are now, rather annoying when they use their fame to preach about what the the rest of us should do or think.....or tell me to vote period. I’m predisposed to be irritated by this.

Very true Erin9- Here is the BBC's article on how Mr. Baker was fired for his remark and the very public consequence that he received for making it.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-48212693

The BBC has sacked Danny Baker, saying he showed a "serious error of judgement" over his tweet about the Duke and Duchess of Sussex's baby.

The tweet, which he later deleted but which has been circulated on social media, showed an image of a couple holding hands with a chimpanzee dressed in clothes with the caption: "Royal Baby leaves hospital".

The BBC 5 Live presenter was accused of mocking the duchess's racial heritage.

Last edited:

I think if Meghan really don't want these negative attention and controversies, perhaps she should have just privately vote for Biden and not mention a word on the election or other contentious issue at all. I don't know what other junior members (not working member) of the Royal Family think on controversial issues, because they stay quite and out of it. They might secretly vote for a particular party in UK general/local elections, but I will never know.

If Meghan starts intervening the trade deal talks between UK and US or other countries, than I would expect some outrage from politicians and the public.

Apologies if I have to quote myself. I am not quite sure the content of the "Cold calling". It could mean encouraging women (female relative) to vote or a more cynical view, encouraging them to vote Biden. This is another source/fuel for outrage really.

Gloria Steinem was on The Ellen Show (virtually) and Meghan was mentioned (starting from 3:10 to 4:00). The term "cold called voters" was used.

Ellen DeGeneres@TheEllenShow
.@GloriaSteinem reminds us why hope is so important.
4:33 AM · Oct 8, 2020·Twitter Media Studio​

Last edited:
:previous:

It's a continuing pattern of behaviour. All decorum thrown out of the window.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom