The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 1: September-December 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, I see this interview as an indication that they will still keep their original intention of supporting British charities and patronages and incentives. They never said anywhere that the US is going to be the *only* area of interest for them. ?

Nice interview and nice cameo from Guy!

Actually, I see this interview as an indication that they will still keep their original intention of supporting British charities and patronages and incentives. They never said anywhere that the US is going to be the *only* area of interest for them. ?

I think the issue going forward will be that they’ve chosen to live in the US. If they’d stepped back from being working royals and settled outside of London or moved somewhere else in the UK it would be different but I can see how the public in the UK may not find it palatable to be told about their social problems by a couple that very publicly made the choice to settle abroad.

I thought they made some good points but also sounded clueless at times. I liked that Meghan emphasized the positive value of PEACEFUL protests. But Harry talking about there not being as much diversity as you might think when you go out onto the streets of London? Maybe not on the streets where he’s spent most of his time but I’ve always experienced London as both a diverse and integrated city. Certainly it would be difficult to come out of training for medicine or law or business without a diverse social circle and one that’s not limited to visible diversity but is diverse in every sense. I don’t think my experience is universal and of course there are people of every ethnicity who prefer to stick to their own community but, well, Harry might want to spend some more time on the middle and upper middle class streets of London.. he might be surprised by what he finds.

This seem to drag on and on. Is not anybody tired of this?? Is this is what PRIVATE means?.

I think the issue going forward will be that they’ve chosen to live in the US. If they’d stepped back from being working royals and settled outside of London or moved somewhere else in the UK it would be different but I can see how the public in the UK may not find it palatable to be told about their social problems by a couple that very publicly made the choice to settle abroad.

I think that this is really key. I'm an American, but if I was British I would be very put out by this couple. I agree with all of the points that they're making, but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth every time that they lecture the British people on what they should be doing to be more "woke" from their mansion in California. I don't think that either of them truly understand the real social situation in the UK... Harry was obviously raised amongst the very upper crust, and Meghan lived there for 18 months and was seemingly unhappy the whole time, and I think it was the plan all along to settle abroad.

It's a bit hypocritical that they want to still "represent the Queen and the Royal Family" but can't even bother to live in the country that they're representing. I get it if they were unhappy and wanted to move to California... but if that's the case then let go of the British charities.

Edited to add that being raised in the upper crust doesn't mean that you can't learn about how "ordinary" people live. I just don't think that Harry ever did or wanted to while he was living in the UK.

I think she thinks those who twist her words and themselves into pretzels to be offended, do it to themselves.

No doubt she does. That's a reflection on her lack of awareness. A little humility night be in order.

Last edited:
I think that this is really key. I'm an American, but if I was British I would be very put out by this couple. I agree with all of the points that they're making, but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth every time that they lecture the British people on what they should be doing to be more "woke" from their mansion in California. I don't think that either of them truly understand the real social situation in the UK... Harry was obviously raised amongst the very upper crust, and Meghan lived there for 18 months and was seemingly unhappy the whole time, and I think it was the plan all along to settle abroad.

It's a bit hypocritical that they want to still "represent the Queen and the Royal Family" but can't even bother to live in the country that they're representing. I get it if they were unhappy and wanted to move to California... but if that's the case then let go of the British charities.

Edited to add that being raised in the upper crust doesn't mean that you can't learn about how "ordinary" people live. I just don't think that Harry ever did or wanted to while he was living in the UK.

A great post.

The irony is that the main fault line in this country is to do with class & educational opportunity whatever your ethnicity. And inter generational disadvantage. The worst under performing demographic in British schools is white working class (blue collar) boys. The duke went to Eton & has inherited a huge fortune ultimately derived from the British state. The difference between a school like Eton & a comprehensive in most working class towns is stark.

Many here roll their eyes at such an individual going on & on.

Last edited:
I thought they made some good points but also sounded clueless at times. I liked that Meghan emphasized the positive value of PEACEFUL protests. But Harry talking about there not being as much diversity as you might think when you go out onto the streets of London? Maybe not on the streets where he’s spent most of his time but I’ve always experienced London as both a diverse and integrated city. Certainly it would be difficult to come out of training for medicine or law or business without a diverse social circle and one that’s not limited to visible diversity but is diverse in every sense. I don’t think my experience is universal and of course there are people of every ethnicity who prefer to stick to their own community but, well, Harry might want to spend some more time on the middle and upper middle class streets of London.. he might be surprised by what he finds.

They make some good points but a lot of it is lost in rolling my eyes. Peaceful protest should be one of the hallmarks of a good democracy. London is a city with many communities originating from all over the world, and not just inner London but many of the "leafy" suburbs and Home Counties as well. I suppose if you wanted you could just mix with certain groups of people and not see other people but even among the super wealthy there's a world wide mix. As there is at Eton and many top universities. But if Harry went out of his way to only mix with people on King's Road or Army officers then he might have come to that conclusion.

I have seen some problems with integration in places but in general it seems to work from my POV. Though I'm sure there are improvements.

And yeah it does chap me that they're lecturing about this from a gated mansion in one of the whitest, wealthiest places in the US. I do think they mean well but the vibe they give off to me could use a lot of work. Though that's just my opinion.

Last edited:
Here they go again. Another week, another bandwagon. I am truly sick of this couple and their platitudes. With each pronouncement they become even more unbearable.

I wish them well and hope they can disappear and have the wonderful private life they seemed to desire, and spare the rest of us their sermons from Montecito.

This seem to drag on and on. Is not anybody tired of this?? Is this is what PRIVATE means?.

exactly ?
lecturing people from behind the gates of a rich, white ivory tower community while quitting their chosen path after the shortest of times because the circumstances were not of their liking.

Well, apparently it's hard work trying to stay relevant by telling others what to do with so little gravitas, Meghan can articulate herself, I'll give her that, but Harry, who has suddenly freed his clouded mind and sees the world through Meghan's eyes, is just painful to watch and to listen to.
We should be grateful that we can still listen to their wise words for free before they put their revelations behind a paywall.

And yeah it does chap me that they're lecturing about this from a gated mansion in one of the whitest, wealthiest places in the US. I do think they mean well but the vibe they give off to me could use a lot of work. Though that's just my opinion.

Then again, on the opposite side of the coin, if it wasn't for the pandemic and strict travel restrictions at this time, this interview probably would have been done in the UK while the Sussexes were staying at Frogmore Cottage. For me, this is a good reason to not assume that the vibe of being in one place preaching to another place is unwarranted. Sometimes plans for things just don't work out 100% as we'd like them to.

I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and it was Covid-19 restrictions that changed things to a virtual interview online. ?

Then again, on the opposite side of the coin, if it wasn't for the pandemic and strict travel restrictions at this time, this interview probably would have been done in the UK while the Sussexes were staying at Frogmore Cottage. For me, this is a good reason to not assume that the vibe of being in one place preaching to another place is unwarranted. Sometimes plans for things just don't work out 100% as we'd like them to.

I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and it was Covid-19 restrictions that changed things to a virtual interview online. ?

I'm honestly dubious that they would be spending any time of note in the UK even without COVID-19. I know they say that they will be splitting their time, but do we REALLY see them living 6 months in the UK and 6 months in California? I will be shocked if they spend more than a month in the UK. If they had been serious about maintaining the UK as a significant residence, you would think they would have gone back when things started going bad in March, but they chose California instead. That indicates to me that's where their primary residence will be.

To be fair it's as much about who they are as where they are. They are at the apex of the British class system. Their comments are not welcome by many here because of that. If they didn't insist on holding on so tightly to their status the reaction would most probably move from hostility to indifference.

Do you all think that tweet confirms there is a deal with Netflix? It's just not a reality show (at least not in H&M eyes).

Reminds me of there was no interview for Findung Freedom :lol:

They make some good points but a lot of it is lost in rolling my eyes. Peaceful protest should be one of the hallmarks of a good democracy. London is a city with many communities originating from all over the world, and not just inner London but many of the "leafy" suburbs and Home Counties as well. I suppose if you wanted you could just mix with certain groups of people and not see other people but even among the super wealthy there's a world wide mix. As there is at Eton and many top universities. But if Harry went out of his way to only mix with people on King's Road or Army officers then he might have come to that conclusion.

I have seen some problems with integration in places but in general it seems to work from my POV. Though I'm sure there are improvements.

I was just about to post this....but to backtrack first: how exactly would Harry know about diversity in the streets when he's lived all of his life in a bubble? So now he and M move to one of the wealthiest, homogeneous places in America - oh sure, they are certainly going to rub elbows with ordinary people. Forgive me, but I don't want to hear from them on this subject, especially Harry, who speaks from zero experience. I'm kind of done with this idea that they mean well - that's probably true, but they also come off as clueless, high-handed and........not intelligent.

I was just about to post this....but to backtrack first: how exactly would Harry know about diversity in the streets when he's lived all of his life in a bubble? So now he and M move to one of the wealthiest, homogeneous places in America - oh sure, they are certainly going to rub elbows with ordinary people. Forgive me, but I don't want to hear from them on this subject, especially Harry, who speaks from zero experience. I'm kind of done with this idea that they mean well - that's probably true, but they also come off as clueless, high-handed and........not intelligent.

Every tine I see Harry in interviews like this recently he seems completely out of his depth, just parroting whatever Meghan says and believes. I like Harry but I don’t think he’s particularly bright, and I think just goes along what his wife believes in these matters.

Systemic racism is a very real thing where no matter how high your station it will come for you. See the Obamas and other people of color who are born to or obtained wealth. I'm surprised the UK has a Black History Month. Given their experiences the Sussexes are the ones in the BRF to speak to it. Harry has a front row view in regards to how his wife and son is treated. This is not a joke.

Systemic racism is a very real thing where no matter how high your station it will come for you. See the Obamas and other people of color who are born to or obtained wealth. I'm surprised the UK has a Black History Month. Given their experiences the Sussexes are the ones in the BRF to speak to it. Harry has a front row view in regards to how his wife and son is treated. This is not a joke.

I agree with this.

Every tine I see Harry in interviews like this recently he seems completely out of his depth, just parroting whatever Meghan says and believes. I like Harry but I don’t think he’s particularly bright, and I think just goes along what his wife believes in these matters.

Yup. I don't know, it feels like Harry is tagging along on Meghan's causes (which she's had for ages) and doesn't have many of his own. I think they are becoming almost too much of ONE entity, like almost everything they do is together and they don't have their own identities - I think this is far more true of Harry than Meghan. His identity is that he's the son of the heir, the son of Diana.....it just feels like he's bland, boring, uninteresting now.

Last edited:

Nor is the exploitative class history of Britain. This is not the USA. You can't use the same methods to critique British history, society & culture. It's fundamentally intellectually dishonest.

I agree with your point- systematic racism is very evident both in the US and in the UK, and it is indeed nothing to joke about. My issue comes from the "holier than thou" tone that they have been using in most of their interviews, lecturing the British people about being more "woke" and fighting systematic racism in the UK when they can't even be bothered to live there and haven't for nearly a year.

Not that whatever Harry and Meghan said interests me but why on earth should the UK not have a Black History Month. There have been people of colour in the UK since Roman times. I would suggest David olusoga's black and British. Brilliant.

I agree with this.

Yup. I don't know, it feels like Harry is tagging along on Meghan's causes (which she's had for ages) and doesn't have many of his own. I think they are becoming almost too much of ONE entity, like almost everything they do is together and they don't have their own identities - I think this is far more true of Harry than Meghan. His identity is that he's the son of the heir, the son of Diana.....it just feels like he's bland, boring, uninteresting now.

Hmmm. They are just people who we are told are special. Harry was an alright soldier and that is the sum of him apart from his title and everything that has enabled him to do.

I get the sense that Harry has never built a real identity of his own. I think that a lot of his identity, whether it was intentional or not, was built around being Diana's son. When he was in the army of course his primary job and identity was as a soldier, and then when doing royal duties, he often did them in conjunction with William and Kate. W&K have started really building their royal identities now, but I feel like Harry never really got the chance to do that since he left so soon after becoming a full-time working royal. He of course has his passion projects (Sentebale, Invictus Games, veterans issues) and they will always be important to him but I think that other than that he seemed quite lost after leaving the army and where he fit in, and I think really globbed on to the issues that Meghan is passionate about.

I get the sense that Harry has never built a real identity of his own. I think that a lot of his identity, whether it was intentional or not, was built around being Diana's son. When he was in the army of course his primary job and identity was as a soldier, and then when doing royal duties, he often did them in conjunction with William and Kate. W&K have started really building their royal identities now, but I feel like Harry never really got the chance to do that since he left so soon after becoming a full-time working royal. He of course has his passion projects (Sentebale, Invictus Games, veterans issues) and they will always be important to him but I think that other than that he seemed quite lost after leaving the army and where he fit in, and I think really globbed on to the issues that Meghan is passionate about.

[......] is dominated by a more forceful partner. Happens all the time. Meh. Maybe he just needs that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Harry will cause some people to explode with rage and others to applaud. I live in an area totally devoid of black people but my education & experiences of studying & working in London tell me that my area and others like it are largely ignorant (or misinformed) about black history in this country, which is why we need Black History Month. Harry is always going to polarise opinions so in the words of my late Granny, "You might as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb".

I don't really understand how there are still people defending them at this point. It'd be way too exhausting for me, especially since it's like flop, another flop, YET another flop for Team Sussex.

I honestly think it would do them good to disappear for 6 months, or even a year. And then start building their own thing. If they're the real deal, they'll build the organization they want. Right now they just look desperate to stay in people's minds, which is saying a lot about what they think about their platform - it's not there to stay. They have it only for the short period of time and they're desperately clingling to it, creating more content and showing up everywhere, without good reason, sense, or anything worth to say.

Elections, voting, feminism - those are all Meghan's issues. Harry is not even visible, doesn't have anything to say, which is sad. I don't think he'll be happy if it stays that way, he needs something of his own to work at.

It's not the role of anyone in the royal family to make these sorts of comments.

A progressive royal duke & duchess is an oxymoron.

If they wanted to be really controversial they would campaign on class equality in Britain. But they won't do that because they benefit from social inequality. Their wealth & status derive from it.

It's not the role of anyone in the royal family to make these sorts of comments.

A progressive royal duke & duchess is an oxymoron.

If they wanted to be really controversial they would campaign on class equality in Britain. But they won't do that because they benefit from social inequality. Their wealth & status derive from it.

There is a lot of truth in your comment. I struggle with hugely privileged people campaigning for social justice for precisely the reasons you cite. However, given that they have that status and reach, I'll settle for them using it for good causes even if I know that in a rational argument in favour of meritocracy, they shouldn't even be in that privileged position.

There is a lot of truth in your comment. I struggle with hugely privileged people campaigning for social justice for precisely the reasons you cite. However, given that they have that status and reach, I'll settle for them using it for good causes even if I know that in a rational argument in favour of meritocracy, they shouldn't even be in that privileged position.

That's a fair comment & I can see the rationale of that. I just happen to come to a different conclusion I suppose.

It is perplexing that they chose to leave & live abroad but still feel the need to comment on our country. I for one have far more time for someone like Mark Rashford & his recent campaign for the most disadvantaged school pupils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom