The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-23-2020, 11:52 PM
Courtier

On a side note, Meghan gave an encouragement message to Archie Williams, a contestant (singer) on America's Got Talent
America’s Got Talent Finale Tonight! @AGT
No one, not even @Archieisfree, expected a special message from Meghan Markle, Duchess of Sussex!
12:01 PM · Sep 24, 2020·Twitter Media Studio
https://twitter.com/AGT/status/1308949767678906369

Old 09-24-2020, 12:01 AM
Gentry

Here in America we are hurting over several serious issues and it has been a painful spring and summer. My generation known as the 'baby boomers' are also known as the 'silent majority'. So when we see rioting, looting, and murder by criminals we have a tendency to admire people who speak out against injustices such as 'hate speech' which is directed at minorities. We are proud to have him and Meghan here as they have proven that they are decent people and genuinely care about all people. Its America, this is what is done here whether other countries like it or not. We say what we mean and we mean what we say. Most of us here want decency to return...so yes...get out and vote.

Old 09-24-2020, 12:07 AM
Heir Presumptive

When Mr Trump said at the News Conference that he; " wished Harry a lot of luck because he's going to need it." My first thought was --- given the Presidents history of retaliation towards people he doesn't like, I wonder if he has plans to send Harry home, or something like that.
Or it may be something completely inoccuous.
Old 09-24-2020, 12:13 AM
Nobility

I have the feeling Harry is not the brightest light also he can be lead around by the nose with little resistance sad really. He was happy in the Military maybe he should have stayed in ,he now would have served almost 20 years., with his fellow Soldiers he had a sense of belonging, he felt he was one of them. He always was kind of lost and he still is. Since his married he has changed a lot, but not for the better.
Old 09-24-2020, 12:17 AM
Nobility

The most recent flair up on this thread appears to originate from this tweet. https://mobile.twitter.com/ABCNetwor...97449028640769

This is an original tweet put out by ABC tv network, not a retweet, covering several recipients of Time Magazine's annual 100 most influential people around the world.
TIME will host 2020 TIME100 honorees for a special three-part series of consecutive TIME100 Talks, TIME’s series of virtual conversations that convenes influential leaders across fields to encourage cross-disciplinary action toward a better world. This series of TIME100 Talks will air on September 23, 24 and 25 on Time.com and across TIME’s social media platforms.
https://time.com/5892299/time100-tal...ies-2020-list/

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are just part of the TIME100 Talks and were highlighted on ABC's twitter account. Individually, Meghan and Harry were named in the TIME 100 2018 list. https://time.com/collection/most-inf...l-people-2018/.

At the beginning of the video featuring the Duke and Duchess of Sussex it explains that they were named to the TIME100 in 2018. Harry goes on to thank Time Magazine for including them in this year's virtual launch. He also says this: "When the bad outweighs the good, for many, whether we realize it or not, it outweighs our ability to have compassion and put ourselves in someone elses shoes. Because when one person buys into negativity online the effects are felt exponentially. It's time not only to reflect but act". Megan then continues to highlight "today is National Voter Registration Day".

Yesterday, September 22, the 4th Tues in September was National Voter Registration Day in the US. I think Harry telling us he had never voted before and cannot vote in the US was informative, speaking primarily to an American audience.

Elections in the US are always important but this current presidential election coming up is most important for a number of reasons I won't go into. Let's just say we all need to vote "like our life depends upon it".

I saw no problem with this tweet, infact I thought the messaging was excellent.
Old 09-24-2020, 01:00 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarlita View Post
When Mr Trump said at the News Conference that he; " wished Harry a lot of luck because he's going to need it." My first thought was --- given the Presidents history of retaliation towards people he doesn't like, I wonder if he has plans to send Harry home, or something like that.
Or it may be something completely inoccuous.
Yeah I thought Trump will try to sic immigration on Harry. Now a Trump lackey Corey Lewendowski took a shot at the Sussexes. But I'm curious as to the reporter who asked the question at the press conference. Not identified and they usually are.
Old 09-24-2020, 01:37 AM
Royal Highness

Another TV appearance by the Duchess of Sussex.

This time on "America's Got Talent" -

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/so...0-appeareance/

Nice to see a different room of the house. I like the decor.
Old 09-24-2020, 03:09 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Lion View Post

I haven't seen much of the season but I remember watching Archie when he first auditioned. His story will stick in my mind forever. Not surprising Meghan reached out, and not because of the shared name.

In a time where America is dealing with racial tensions more then ever, and the issue of racial profiling of cops is a hot topic, Archie Williams is a living embodiment of much of that. What he has achieved after all he over came is amazing.

37 years of his life lost to prison for a crime he didn't commit.

Old 09-24-2020, 05:12 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Lion View Post

Sun Lion, you say so much in so few words.
Old 09-24-2020, 05:49 AM
Heir Apparent

Trump thinks Ghislaine Maxwell is a lovely woman and roots for her. He also does not like Meghan. I think Meghan is just fine with that.

Archie William — quite the story. My guess they were introduced to it and got hooked. I wish him all the luck I too. Unbelievable journey.
Old 09-24-2020, 08:15 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
My first gut reaction was that Harry is turning into Meghan's parrot. It happens when one person in the marriage is a leader and the other is a follower. Dominant/recessive kind of thing.
Almost cringeworthy In this respect Trump is right, good luck to Harry, because he's gonna need it!
Old 09-24-2020, 08:21 AM
Courtier

I completely agree that everyone should vote. Every democracy had its own struggles to bring about universal suffrage, a lot of countries don't have that even now, and I find it frustrating when people don't exercise their right to vote. And, yes, there is a big problem with hate speech and "online negativity" - I'm constantly amazed and distressed by the things that even friends whom I know to be decent people will post on social media when it comes to politics.

However, I don't think Harry should be making comments about an election, or lecturing American citizens on what they should be doing.
Old 09-24-2020, 08:34 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
I completely agree that everyone should vote. Every democracy had its own struggles to bring about universal suffrage, a lot of countries don't have that even now, and I find it frustrating when people don't exercise their right to vote. And, yes, there is a big problem with hate speech and "online negativity" - I'm constantly amazed and distressed by the things that even friends whom I know to be decent people will post on social media when it comes to politics.

However, I don't think Harry should be making comments about an election, or lecturing American citizens on what they should be doing.
I completely agree with you !
Old 09-24-2020, 08:56 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post

No, he should not. Neither should Meghan who enjoys all the benefits of being Royal Duchess and yet shows zero respect for the institution she married into and clearly wants no part of it except for the position it gives her to promote her own agenda....politically and otherwise. She can vote for Pee Wee Herman for all I care, but I have a big problem with either of them using their positions as members of the British Royal Family to lecture US citizens during an election.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:05 AM
Courtier

it is certainly important to vote if you live in a democracy, or at least engage and spoil your ballot etc and this is an incredibly important election.

Harry and Meghan bringing up the fact that he has never voted is frustrating to me because:

1) He's not a US citizen and cannot vote in the election anyway.

2) The reason he's never voted is because of his very privileged position (which also includes access to politicians and movers and shakers to support your personal initiatives). Equating that with disenfranchisement, attempted suppression of the vote or those who have never been interested in voting before is incredibly disingenuous.

And as a personal note some supporters are now criticising other senior members of the BRF for not speaking out more on political topics (or anti Trump/government platforms) which is completely against what they are supposed to stand for and is incredibly frustrating.

And as an aside I think if in the unlikely scenario Harry came out as a US Republican (even if not enthused with Trump) then all this "he's allowed to/should speak his mind now" would disappear in an instant for obvious reasons, even though it's the same principle.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:27 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
it is certainly important to vote if you live in a democracy, or at least engage and spoil your ballot etc and this is an incredibly important election.

Harry and Meghan bringing up the fact that he has never voted is frustrating to me because:

1) He's not a US citizen and cannot vote in the election anyway.

2) The reason he's never voted is because of his very privileged position (which also includes access to politicians and movers and shakers to support your personal initiatives). Equating that with disenfranchisement, attempted suppression of the vote or those who have never been interested in voting before is incredibly disingenuous.

And as a personal note some supporters are now criticising other senior members of the BRF for not speaking out more on political topics (or anti Trump/government platforms) which is completely against what they are supposed to stand for and is incredibly frustrating.

And as an aside I think if in the unlikely scenario Harry came out as a US Republican (even if not enthused with Trump) then all this "he's allowed to/should speak his mind now" would disappear in an instant for obvious reasons, even though it's the same principle.
You hit the nail on the head. They would be ostracized by Hollywood, the Obamas, Oprah and all the politically Liberal minded influential people they have aligned themselves with. Their minions would drop like flies. Of course there is no secret who and what they support and I could care less either way. My issue is being lectured by ANY puffed up celebrity (which is what they have become) on who or what to vote for. The fact they are using their position as members of a foreign Royal family to do this is really outrageous and dangerous IMO.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:49 AM
Royal Highness

A breakdown of the Sussex taste - as displayed in a small corner of their Riven Rock mansion -

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...a-mansion.html
Old 09-24-2020, 09:57 AM
Royal Highness

I found out the reporter who asked Trump about Meghan at the press conference: Kim Scwab from the Daily Mail, the "paper" Meghan is suing. I'm more concern about a British tabloid mucking around in a US election than an American who is royal by marriage. That reporter implied to Trump Meghan endorsed Biden, knowing Trump would not discern the difference.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:59 AM
Courtier

Some politicians (former and backbencher) have commented on twitter

Ben Bradley retweeted Dan Wootton's video of Trump at Press Conference with an emoji of Smiling face with open mouth and tightly-closed eyes. He is a Conservative MP for Mansfield.
https://twitter.com/BBradley_Mans/st...41754952413184

Kate Hoey (Former Labour MP for Vauxhall 1989-2019). She retweeted Ben Riley-Smith's video of Trump at Press Conference.
Kate Hoey @CatharineHoey
Whatever you think of the President this was a clever response to the question
7:28 PM · Sep 24, 2020·Twitter for iPhone
https://twitter.com/CatharineHoey/st...62206424784902

Nigel Farage (Leader of the Brexit Party, former leader of UKIP). He also retweeted Dan Wooton's video
Nigel Farage @Nigel_Farage
A bit of light-hearted relief.
7:19 PM · Sep 24, 2020·Twitter for iPhone
https://twitter.com/Nigel_Farage/sta...59829604941825
Old 09-24-2020, 10:10 AM
Heir Apparent

Meghan can say whatever she likes, since as far as I'm concerned she is just another hypocritical celebrity who likes telling others what to do.

But Harry is a foreigner, and the election is none of his business. (I wouldn't presume to go to the UK and tell people to vote for Boris Johnson).