The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 1: September-December 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Off topic: but what makes it so difficult to get registered to vote in the US?

In Switzerland every Swiss over the age of 18 can vote; you do not have to register to do so... it's automatic; of course you have to register with your city / place when you move house. But with that, all is done.

Unsure if this was shared here - or even if it should be shared here. But this was mentioned to me and I really couldnt believe it.

https://www.macleans.ca/royalty/meghan-markles-twitter-bot-network-the-whole-thing-is-a-bit-insane/

Sad part about it was that the investigation into it has been dropped by Twitter. Isnt this illegal - or have our laws not caught up to the digital age. Either was I was told that 90% of the Sussex Squad are actually bots on Twitter and instagram and both social media groups are very much aware of it.

In Switzerland every Swiss over the age of 18 can vote; you do not have to register to do so... it's automatic; of course you have to register with your city / place when you move house. But with that, all is done.

I'll follow, hopefully the mods will allow this one off OT (US members feel free to correct me)
if you are a white person in the USA you are likely to have little to no problem being able to vote.
But if you are a non white, especially in a red state, you will find it harder to register and be able to vote. Voter Suppression is a major issue.

In short: (Institutionalized) racism is the reason.

https://www.aclu.org/issues/voting-rights
is A good website to read more about it.

Last edited:
Just a short note here to add on. A lot of people in the US do not register to vote because if you do, then you are in a pool to be picked for jury duty. Not everyone wants to take time away from their jobs and lives to sit on a jury.

All Americans have the right to vote but some do not exercise that right.

Unsure if this was shared here - or even if it should be shared here. But this was mentioned to me and I really couldnt believe it.

https://www.macleans.ca/royalty/meghan-markles-twitter-bot-network-the-whole-thing-is-a-bit-insane/

Sad part about it was that the investigation into it has been dropped by Twitter. Isnt this illegal - or have our laws not caught up to the digital age. Either was I was told that 90% of the Sussex Squad are actually bots on Twitter and instagram and both social media groups are very much aware of it.

Thank you Claire for the article. Without going into the details on the possibility of "bots" or "sub-automated accounts", some of these Meghan supporters or "Sussex squads" have been behaving atrociously on social media, including towards royal editors/correspondents, who are just doing their jobs. They seem to be attacking any negative or even neutral news about the Harry and Meghan. I have looked through some of the comments to these royal reporters, the accusations of racism and sexism were thrown around liberally, as a way to invalidate or discredit their reporting.

And don't get me started on other members of the Royal Family. From reading through a few tweets, I do think some of these Meghan supporters or "Sussex squads" behave even worse than Republicans/Anti-monarchists.

Last edited:
I too find it strange that you don't automatically have the right to vote once your of legal age. But the US is a very big country, what works for European countries, might not work over there.

Switzerland is also far smaller than the U.S. It’s a complicated issue, and sadly tied up at least partly with our country’s history of slavery and racism.

This article explains to some degree. Here’s one excerpt:

As Alexander Keyssar points out in The Right to Vote: The Contested History of Democracy in the United States, early voter rolls were often compiled by assessors who went door-to-door, and they often missed poorer people. Other early registration systems, at a time of great nativist sentiment, were seen to target Catholics or immigrants, with tactics such as requiring registration only in areas with large minority populations. On the other hand, there was also serious concern in the United States that, without registration, a corrupt political machine system could sway election results.

As Daniel P. Tokaji put it in a 2008 William & Mary Bill of Rights Journal article about voter registration:

There can be little doubt that machine politics and attendant corruption made registration desirable and even necessary, especially in more heavily populated areas. At the same time, in both the North and the South, voter registration systems often served a more insidious purpose: they were used to keep eligible citizens from voting. Although white Democrats’ disfranchisement of southern blacks is the most notorious example, it is also clear that northern Republicans sometimes manipulated voter registration rules to disfranchise Democratic-leaning immigrants and working people. Voter registration has thus been a means not only of promoting election integrity, but also of impeding eligible citizens’ access to the ballot.

https://time.com/4502154/voter-registration-history/

No, our laws haven't yet caught up to the digital age and probably never will, the Internet changes too fast, constantly opening new ways and possibilities.

But actually, I have no idea where did you get that 90% od the Sussex Squad are bots and I did read the article - they actually wrote "While very few of those accounts appear to be entirely automated—classic bot accounts—Feldberg’s report found that “many have unusual features, suggesting there could be collusion or automation behind some of the accounts.” It's pretty easy to write a program that will automatically retweet content connected to something (in this case, positive for Meghan) and then use the Twitter normally.
I'll follow, hopefully the mods will allow this one off OT (US members feel free to correct me)
if you are a white person in the USA you are likely to have little to no problem being able to vote.
But if you are a non white, especially in a red state, you will find it harder to register and be able to vote. Voter Suppression is a major issue.

In short: (Institutionalized) racism is the reason.

https://www.aclu.org/issues/voting-rights
is A good website to read more about it.
I think for us, Europeans, it's weird that you have to register to vote at all :flowers: We usually don't have to do that - as long as you're voting where you live, the only thing you have to do is to show up and vote.

I think for us, Europeans, it's weird that you have to register to vote at all :flowers: We usually don't have to do that - as long as you're voting where you live, the only thing you have to do is to show up and vote.

Two words. Jury duty. In order to vote at the voting stations here, you must be registered to vote and registered to vote for that voting station and they check your voter's registration card and signature. It also puts you on the list of people that can be called for jury duty in your local area court system.

Thank you Claire for the article. Without going into the details on the possibility of "bots" or "sub-automated accounts", some of these Meghan supporters or "Sussex squads" have been behaving atrociously on social media, including towards royal editors/correspondents, who are just doing their jobs. They seem to be attacking any negative or even neutral news about the Harry and Meghan. I have looked through some of the comments to these royal reporters, the accusations of racism and sexism were thrown around liberally, as a way to invalidate or discredit their reporting.

And don't get me started on other members of the Royal Family. From reading through a few tweets, I do think some of these Meghan supporters or "Sussex squads" behave even worse than Republicans/Anti-monarchists.

Completely agree. It’s completely out of hand. They will attack anyone that has anything negative to say about the Sussex’s and accuse them of being racist, bullies, misogynistic, blah, blah. It’s disturbing beyond measure that every conversation on social media has to be hijacked by These type of accusations where legitimate concerns regarding the Sussex’s actions are discussed.

No, our laws haven't yet caught up to the digital age and probably never will, the Internet changes too fast, constantly opening new ways and possibilities.

But actually, I have no idea where did you get that 90% od the Sussex Squad are bots and I did read the article - they actually wrote "While very few of those accounts appear to be entirely automated—classic bot accounts—Feldberg’s report found that “many have unusual features, suggesting there could be collusion or automation behind some of the accounts.” It's pretty easy to write a program that will automatically retweet content connected to something (in this case, positive for Meghan) and then use the Twitter normally.

I totally get it, in my country is the same, you've made it to 18? congratulations you can vote!!
We even get the day off (by law) to go and vote, if you still choose to work that day than you get paid twice the amount you would on a regular day.

Previous US posters have it right—voter registration is part of overall voter suppression and the legacy of white supremacy. Here in Texas, 45% of votes cast are for Democrats, yet Republicans hold the majority of statewide elected positions, and all of the Texas Supreme Court seats.

Meghan is on the November 2020 front-cover of Tatler. The title will be "Meghan: What's Next" followed by a blurb, "Exclusive poll: What Britain really thinks about the Sussexes"

Tatler has asked its readers on their opinion on their thoughts on Harry and Meghan. Important footnote: "*Results reported on in this article included only those who expressed an opinion. Savanta Comres is a member of the British Polling Council and abides by its rules. Full tables at comresglobal.com."

"Following Megixit, the majority of people who expressed an opinion, 68 per cent, agree that Meghan and Harry should have their titles of Duke and Duchess of Sussex taken away from them. 63 per cent also agree that as a British royal, Meghan should not be commenting on American politics - an interesting finding considering the furore surrounding her and Harry’s decision to film a video urging people to vote in the US elections earlier this week. More than a third of those with a view think that Meghan has political ambitions of her own, with 35 per cent agreeing that Meghan wants to be president of the United States one day. For the full results, pick up the November issue, on newsstands Thursday 1 October."​

Inside the November issue | Tatler

Previous US posters have it right—voter registration is part of overall voter suppression and the legacy of white supremacy. Here in Texas, 45% of votes cast are for Democrats, yet Republicans hold the majority of statewide elected positions, and all of the Texas Supreme Court seats.

I don’t people realise this goes on. In the UK, we get a form every year asking the details they have are correct and you can change it online or letter or phone. Then a polling card turns up for whatever election and tells you which polling station to go to.

To be fair, I think not commenting on politics is partly self preservation by the Royals No point aligning yourself too closely with one fraction than the other. No one wants to get a stage where government wants to get rid of you. Obviously, these two feel they know better.

Odd then, if Meghan and Harry are so unpopular and Tatler readers (those who expressed an opinion, that is) wish them to be 'punished', that the magazine has decided to feature Meghan on their front cover.

Hoping for historically low sales figures for November perhaps, to prove the point that people find Meghan so repellent they don't want to read about her!

A 'poll' that just relies on 'expressions of opinion' by its respondents can hardly be called scientific!

:previous:

I don't know if it's just a coincidence that the November edition of Tatler will also feature an exclusive interview with Melania Trump. Or is there actually a set up to put Meghan and Melania Trump at the same time?

"There's also an exclusive interview with First Lady Melania Trump, in which she talks about her humble beginnings and her husband's Presidency, as well as a shoot with Contributing Editor Anaïs Gallagher and her boyfriend Julius Roberts, the dashing farmer behind the wildly popular @telltalefood Instagram account, in which they talk about how they got through lockdown."​

This is from the last paragraph of the Tatler article: https://www.tatler.com/article/meghan-markle-november-2020-cover

I do think YouGov is one the most "scientifically" conducted survey on the British public's opinion.

Last edited:
Odd then, if Meghan and Harry are so unpopular and Tatler readers (those who expressed an opinion, that is) wish them to be 'punished', that the magazine has decided to feature Meghan on their front cover.

Hoping for historically low sales figures for November perhaps, to prove the point that people find Meghan so repellent they don't want to read about her!

A 'poll' that just relies on 'expressions of opinion' by its respondents can hardly be called scientific!
Oh, Curryong, you innocent human being :lol:

It's Tatler. It's whole purpose is to tear people down in the most entertaining way - just something to read and laugh about while drinking too expensive, awful morning tea and gossip about after Sunday service. I can assure you that people will buy this, even if to see what awful thing they managed to come up this time.

This is how this whole business works. I'm surprised there's anyone who doesn't understand it by now.

Probably they are counting on people buying the magazine, then hate-reading! ?

:previous:

I don't know if it's just a coincidence that the November edition of Tatler will also feature an exclusive interview with Melania Trump. Or is there actually a set up to put Meghan and Melania Trump at the same time?
"There's also an exclusive interview with First Lady Melania Trump, in which she talks about her humble beginnings and her husband's Presidency, as well as a shoot with Contributing Editor Anaïs Gallagher and her boyfriend Julius Roberts, the dashing farmer behind the wildly popular @telltalefood Instagram account, in which they talk about how they got through lockdown."​
This is from the last paragraph of the Tatler article: https://www.tatler.com/article/meghan-markle-november-2020-cover

I do think YouGov is one the most "scientifically" conducted survey on the British public's opinion.

It's the American public's opinion not British but here's what YouGov came up with what people thought about them.

This obviously was conducted before the Netflix deal. But it's from this year.

https://today.yougov.com/topics/int...rts/2020/01/16/americans-support-meghan-harry

Last edited:
I too find it strange that you don't automatically have the right to vote once your of legal age. But the US is a very big country, what works for European countries, might not work over there.

Note to mods: hope you allow this information to be shared....
In most European countries, there is a centralized system of person registration; each municipality is responsible for keeping track of who lives where so that voter registration is indeed automatic once legal voting age is attained. This system does not exist in North America so that it is necessary to register with government authorities when exercising the right to vote: proof of address and identification are usually required. I would be interested to know how this works in South America and Asia; I assume Australia has the North American system as well. Thank you mods for allowing this slightly off topic infobyte! :flowers:

That American poll was conducted in January and things might have changed for better or worse for them by now.

Isn't Tatler editor Richard Dennen supposed to be a friend/supporter of Meghan? I remember that being discussed.

But in any case putting a controversial person on the cover and then publishing poll numbers "what the British public really thinks!" gives them a lot to talk about, whether the piece itself ends up being positive or not.

Tatler's going to tattle and it won't end up serious affecting anything most likely.

Richard Dennen is an old friend of Kate's from St Andrew's days.

That American poll was conducted in January and things might have changed for better or worse for them by now.

Isn't Tatler editor Richard Dennen supposed to be a friend/supporter of Meghan? I remember that being discussed.

But in any case putting a controversial person on the cover and then publishing poll numbers "what the British public really thinks!" gives them a lot to talk about, whether the piece itself ends up being positive or not.

Tatler's going to tattle and it won't end up serious affecting anything most likely.

I don't know that it was necessarily negative. I thought it was more positive than the Tattler poll. Different groups had different opinions. But the original post mentioned YouGov and that is the most recent one I could find.

Last edited:
In the UK, you do have to be on the electoral register, but local councils send out letters to each household and you just have to give the details of any person at that address who's over 16 - you have to be 18 to vote, but having the details of people who will turn 18 in the next couple of years helps keep the registers up to date. If people aren't registered, that's their choice, usually because they don't want the authorities to know where they are - no-one would be stopped from registering. But there has been quite a lot of stuff circulating on social media about the issues with registering to vote in the US.

That is what a poll captures--respondent opinions. Some are more rigorously designed than others, but the purpose of the poll is to determine people's opinions on specific subject. Sometimes the questions is framed as a clear "opinion" eg "in your opinion, is the sky blue?" and sometimes the question is framed as "is the sky blue?" Either way, pollsters know that they are gathering opinion.

I know. This was however a Savanta ComRes poll, not a You Gov one and we don't know exactly how it was conducted, nor how many people didn't bother to answer the specific polling questions and therefore didn't express an opinion. Might have been hundreds.

Considering the properly outrageous article published in Tatler some months ago about Kate, i'm not quite sure they are friends anymore.

As far i can see it's Meghan's turn now.

Fair balance. And a major need to sell, obviously ...

Considering the properly outrageous article published in Tatler some months ago about Kate, i'm not quite sure they are friends anymore.

As far i can see it's Meghan's turn now.

Fair balance. And a major need to sell, obviously ...

I remember a conversation here at the time that suggested that Meghan actually had more positive coverage from Tatler than Kate and the Middletons did, although I couldn't say for sure.

It doesn't really matter. They'll write whatever sells and sometimes that's un/fairly writing snobby gossip about duchesses.

With the poll, whatever the accuracy of "63% of people asked thought they should loose their tiles" I think the people that care strongly about this issue either way are a tiny minority. Most certainly wouldn't want parliament to start dealing with it right now.

I don't know that it was necessarily negative. I thought it was more positive than the Tattler poll. Different groups had different opinions. But the original post mentioned YouGov and that is the most recent one I could find.

Yes it wasn't particularly negative, in fact there were some positive points for them. I was just pointing out that in the last 9 months opinions might have shifted.

A recent question concerning voter registration in the United States has now been answered. In order for the thread to remain on topic, further posts about the subject will be removed.

Members are invited to contact one of the Moderator for advice on where to discuss subjects not related to the topic at hand. Thank you.

Yes he is but it didn't seem to be in her favor after Tattler printed their "Catherine the Great" feature this summer. :ermm: (Which they later chose to remove approximately 1/4 of it recently.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom