The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #741  
Old 10-21-2020, 08:21 PM
Sun Lion's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 1,937
I thought a wild bear prowling around was bad enough ... but now there is a lion on the loose.

And no, this is not some PR ploy for attention and sympathy by Harry and Meghan.

The bear was on Oprah Winfrey's estate back in July, and her house-guest Gayle King posted footage of the security staff warning her to stay indoors until it was shooed away.

A thirty-nine stone adolescent that now appears to have travelled some distance to the area of the Duke and Duchess' home.

Now a cougar has been spotted less than two miles from the Sussex's Rockbridge Rd estate.

It was seen to roar at a pet German Shepherd dog who was minding it's own business in a garden.

And was seen killing prey in another garden.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/129898...ose-near-home/

Perhaps the bear and the cougar will stumble across each other and sort out who is the boss animal of the neighbourhood.

I didn't know Santa Barbara/Montecito was such a wild, live-on-the-edge kind of place.

Would you feel safe sleeping with your windows open on a balmy night?

At least here I only have to worry about bats and possums.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #742  
Old 10-21-2020, 08:49 PM
AC21091968's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Lion View Post
I thought a wild bear prowling around was bad enough ... but now there is a lion on the loose.

And no, this is not some PR ploy for attention and sympathy by Harry and Meghan.

The bear was on Oprah Winfrey's estate back in July, and her house-guest Gayle King posted footage of the security staff warning her to stay indoors until it was shooed away.

A thirty-nine stone adolescent that now appears to have travelled some distance to the area of the Duke and Duchess' home.

Now a cougar has been spotted less than two miles from the Sussex's Rockbridge Rd estate.

It was seen to roar at a pet German Shepherd dog who was minding it's own business in a garden.

And was seen killing prey in another garden.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/129898...ose-near-home/

Perhaps the bear and the cougar will stumble across each other and sort out who is the boss animal of the neighbourhood.

I didn't know Santa Barbara/Montecito was such a wild, live-on-the-edge kind of place.

Would you feel safe sleeping with your windows open on a balmy night?

At least here I only have to worry about bats and possums.
And Magpies or even butcher birds swooping in breeding spring season (September to November) when walking and exercising (thank goodness I'm not riding a bike). Possums jumping on roof does make me quite hard to fall asleep at night.

Apparently there are peacocks in California, which is definitely not the same as bears and lions

I do think (from looking at some Google images) Santa Barbara/Montecito are leafy with lots of bushes surrounding some houses, which explain why there are animals approaching residents.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #743  
Old 10-21-2020, 08:57 PM
Sun Lion's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 1,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC21091968 View Post
And Magpies or even butcher birds in spring when walking and exercising (thank goodness I'm not riding a bike). Possums jumping on roof does make me quite hard to fall asleep at night.

Apparently there are peacocks in California, which is definitely not the same as bears and lions

I do think (from looking at some Google images) Santa Barbara/Montecito are leafy with lots of bushes surrounding some houses, which explain why there are animals approaching residents.

Perhaps Harry should have held onto those super-expensive hand-made Purdey shotguns he onsold when marrying, AC.

He would have been able to defend the family, and bag a couple of big game trophies while doing it.
Reply With Quote
  #744  
Old 10-21-2020, 08:57 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Torrance, United States
Posts: 4,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Lion View Post
I thought a wild bear prowling around was bad enough ... but now there is a lion on the loose.

And no, this is not some PR ploy for attention and sympathy by Harry and Meghan.

The bear was on Oprah Winfrey's estate back in July, and her house-guest Gayle King posted footage of the security staff warning her to stay indoors until it was shooed away.

A thirty-nine stone adolescent that now appears to have travelled some distance to the area of the Duke and Duchess' home.

Now a cougar has been spotted less than two miles from the Sussex's Rockbridge Rd estate.

It was seen to roar at a pet German Shepherd dog who was minding it's own business in a garden.

And was seen killing prey in another garden.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/129898...ose-near-home/

Perhaps the bear and the cougar will stumble across each other and sort out who is the boss animal of the neighbourhood.

I didn't know Santa Barbara/Montecito was such a wild, live-on-the-edge kind of place.

Would you feel safe sleeping with your windows open on a balmy night?

At least here I only have to worry about bats and possums.

It's not unheard of that wildlife including large predators (mountain lions, bears, coyotes) are in the foothills around Santa Barbara Co. and other parts of Southern California. My daughter is a student at UC Santa Barbara and last fall there were alerts about a mountain lion.



The Sussexes like their other neighbors in Montecito, CA likely have security cameras around their properties, so they'll be alerted.
Reply With Quote
  #745  
Old 10-21-2020, 09:00 PM
Sun Lion's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 1,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
It's not unheard of that wildlife including large predators (mountain lions, bears, coyotes) are in the foothills around Santa Barbara Co. and other parts of Southern California. My daughter is a student at UC Santa Barbara and last fall there were alerts about a mountain lion.



The Sussexes like their other neighbors in Montecito, CA likely have security cameras around their properties, so they'll be alerted.

I've almost trodden on a snake, and am forever on the lookout for spiders, TLLK ... but bears and lions are a whole other dimension of "wild".
Reply With Quote
  #746  
Old 10-21-2020, 09:37 PM
Ista's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: the West, United States
Posts: 3,011
Mountain lions, bobcats, bears and other large predators are not at all uncommon throughout the Western states wherever land backs up on to wilderness space. California, and much of the West, has been in an ongoing state of drought for several years, which drives the animals down closer to sources of water and easy prey. It's something you have to be conscious of with small children and pets, so it will be one more thing for the Sussexes to keep in mind.
Reply With Quote
  #747  
Old 10-21-2020, 10:36 PM
Sun Lion's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 1,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ista View Post
Mountain lions, bobcats, bears and other large predators are not at all uncommon throughout the Western states wherever land backs up on to wilderness space. California, and much of the West, has been in an ongoing state of drought for several years, which drives the animals down closer to sources of water and easy prey. It's something you have to be conscious of with small children and pets, so it will be one more thing for the Sussexes to keep in mind.

You know Ista when it was first revealed that the Duke and Duchess had moved to the Santa Barbara area I had another look at a wonderful book I have about the luxury properties, homes and estates there.

And I checked out a lot of online glossy magazines showing the lifestyle in all it's glamour and enviability.

With more time though, I've learnt of the regular floods - called "slides" locally, because of the mudslides that result - and the wildfires.

Now these prowling large predator animals.

Although it has a lot going for it - and no place is free of issues, let alone perfect - it is certainly a different side to the area than the impressions I first had.

And while Montecito has a quiet village and beachside vibe, that doesn't always suit the movers and shakers of the world who like buzz.

With Harry and Meghan trying to build a US based entertainment career path, they may find it doesn't fulfill all their needs.

I've noticed a lot of celebrities buying in the area, but also selling again ... some after only a couple of years.

The Duke and Duchess can spend a few years trying different lifestyles out before being tied down by their son's school requirements.

I hope the authorities can round up these two beasties and re-locate them back up the mountains.

(Imagine jogging on one of those popular mountain tracks though, and meeting up with one of these!)
Reply With Quote
  #748  
Old 10-22-2020, 12:34 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Torrance, United States
Posts: 4,552
Sun Lion-A hiker in Utah recently had an encounter with a mother mountain lion. The hiker had unknowingly passed too closely to her den. He recorded the encounter with her and lived to tell the tale.


The Sussexes like their neighbors in the foothills have spectacular scenery and relative privacy to enjoy but it does come with the usual concerns for the region: wildfires (2017 was especially bad in that area), mudslides, flash flooding and earthquakes. However for the most part the beauty of the Central Coast tends to outshine the occasional hiccup, so I don't see them wanting to leave anytime soon.
Reply With Quote
  #749  
Old 10-22-2020, 01:22 AM
Sun Lion's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 1,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
Sun Lion-A hiker in Utah recently had an encounter with a mother mountain lion. The hiker had unknowingly passed too closely to her den. He recorded the encounter with her and lived to tell the tale.


The Sussexes like their neighbors in the foothills have spectacular scenery and relative privacy to enjoy but it does come with the usual concerns for the region: wildfires (2017 was especially bad in that area), mudslides, flash flooding and earthquakes. However for the most part the beauty of the Central Coast tends to outshine the occasional hiccup, so I don't see them wanting to leave anytime soon.

Good to know you're not dicing with death every time you go in your backyard TLLK.

(I'd be giving the hen-keeping hobby a miss though, if they're a predator magnet.)
Reply With Quote
  #750  
Old 10-22-2020, 05:21 AM
Claire's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by caethi View Post
Meghan and Harry are on a PR campaign. It's necessary to establish their profile if they want to become a bankable product and earn some cash. On the matter of the Cosmo article, it is mean-spirited and speculative. I sincerely hope that the Sussexes PR machine isn't actively supporting these kind of articles.



[...]
Yep - an image consultant has been brought in. Either it was for the launch of Archwell in general but my guess is they were told that the public opinion is moving against them and they need to act.
Reply With Quote
  #751  
Old 10-22-2020, 06:52 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bordertown, Australia
Posts: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Yep - an image consultant has been brought in. Either it was for the launch of Archwell in general but my guess is they were told that the public opinion is moving against them and they need to act.
They had to be told??? Before they left the royal family, we were under the impression that they read everything about themselves, which would seem to have been part of the problem. Now, they don't realise that public opinion is not only moving against them but HAS moved against them - for quite a time too.
Reply With Quote
  #752  
Old 10-22-2020, 08:53 AM
AC21091968's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Yep - an image consultant has been brought in. Either it was for the launch of Archwell in general but my guess is they were told that the public opinion is moving against them and they need to act.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick View Post
They had to be told??? Before they left the royal family, we were under the impression that they read everything about themselves, which would seem to have been part of the problem. Now, they don't realise that public opinion is not only moving against them but HAS moved against them - for quite a time too.
Or Harry and Meghan have been keeping up with the UK's atmosphere by actively looking at what's happening in parliament? (This a very optimist view)

I may be speculating here, but I do think timing is the key. I know there might be time zone differences, but on the same day of the Time100 interview with Edward Felsenthal (TIME Editor-in-Chief and CEO), there was a debate in the House of Commons on Black History Month, starting from 1:17pm to 7:00pm. Some of the exchanges did get quite heated. The part that got the most attention in the media was Kemi Badenoch's (Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Equalities) speech towards the end of the debate. From watching the video below, she was criticising Critical Race Theory, decolonising curriculum and the use of "white privilege". I would say she opposed at least 80% of Harry and Meghan's opinion.

Link to the Kemi's speech that got the media attention or even some US political commentators:

Here is the Hansard (Detailed transcript of the Parliamentary debate) link to the full debate if anyone is interested: https://hansard.parliament.uk/Common...ckHistoryMonth

Like Claire have mentioned earlier, I do think an image consultant may have watched the above parliamentary exchange (perhaps some snippets) and quickly tell Harry and Meghan that opinions have changed and they may risk "working against the government". I think this is why they shift their conversation into online communities and social media usage rather than race equality. (This is assuming that the Time100 talk on 20th October was live, not pre-recorded)

Another of example on "timing" is the interview with the Evening Standard, which I think did not go down well with some British public. The reason is that at the same time, there was a report by Matt Goodwin (political researcher) and BBC on white working class boys with one of the lowest admission to university. Perhaps Harry and Meghan and image consultant at that particular point have realised that the British public may have turned against them.

Again, these are my opinions and speculation.
Reply With Quote
  #753  
Old 10-22-2020, 09:24 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 7,223
The public are mainly indifferent to them.. but I think when they crop up, it does spark off criticism in the press and that 's not going to help their image with the British public. however, I think mostly now that they have gone ot the US, its out of sight and out of mind.. that people think "OK, they wanted to go, they've gone.. who cares what becomes of them now..."
Reply With Quote
  #754  
Old 10-22-2020, 09:58 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 7,576
The British public is mainly indifferent to the BRF as a whole and to many of its members who are still performing duties so there's not much difference.
Reply With Quote
  #755  
Old 10-22-2020, 10:04 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Oakland, United States
Posts: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC21091968 View Post
Or Harry and Meghan have been keeping up with the UK's atmosphere by actively looking at what's happening in parliament? (This a very optimist view)

I may be speculating here, but I do think timing is the key. I know there might be time zone differences, but on the same day of the Time100 interview with Edward Felsenthal (TIME Editor-in-Chief and CEO), there was a debate in the House of Commons on Black History Month, starting from 1:17pm to 7:00pm. Some of the exchanges did get quite heated. The part that got the most attention in the media was Kemi Badenoch's (Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Equalities) speech towards the end of the debate. From watching the video below, she was criticising Critical Race Theory, decolonising curriculum and the use of "white privilege". I would say she opposed at least 80% of Harry and Meghan's opinion.

Link to the Kemi's speech that got the media attention or even some US political commentators:

Here is the Hansard (Detailed transcript of the Parliamentary debate) link to the full debate if anyone is interested: https://hansard.parliament.uk/Common...ckHistoryMonth

Like Claire have mentioned earlier, I do think an image consultant may have watched the above parliamentary exchange (perhaps some snippets) and quickly tell Harry and Meghan that opinions have changed and they may risk "working against the government". I think this is why they shift their conversation into online communities and social media usage rather than race equality. (This is assuming that the Time100 talk on 20th October was live, not pre-recorded)

Another of example on "timing" is the interview with the Evening Standard, which I think did not go down well with some British public. The reason is that at the same time, there was a report by Matt Goodwin (political researcher) and BBC on white working class boys with one of the lowest admission to university. Perhaps Harry and Meghan and image consultant at that particular point have realised that the British public may have turned against them.

Again, these are my opinions and speculation.

I don't think what what happening in parliment that day any impact on H&M for two reasons:
1) I think the Time video was shot a few days before it aired.
2) I don't think Meghan cares about anything happening in the UK, let alone to the black community, unless it is about her.
Reply With Quote
  #756  
Old 10-22-2020, 11:23 AM
ACO ACO is offline
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 3,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
The British public is mainly indifferent to the BRF as a whole and to many of its members who are still performing duties so there's not much difference.
Pretty much. Harry and Meghan are gone and aren't taking money out of the public's pockets. No sure why they would care. And most don't about any of the royals if we are being honest. They are more tolerated than liked overall. That includes the Sussexes.
Reply With Quote
  #757  
Old 10-22-2020, 11:53 AM
carlota's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: , United States
Posts: 8,248
a very interesting debate indeed at the house.

Quote:
Like Claire have mentioned earlier, I do think an image consultant may have watched the above parliamentary exchange (perhaps some snippets) and quickly tell Harry and Meghan that opinions have changed and they may risk "working against the government". I think this is why they shift their conversation into online communities and social media usage rather than race equality. (This is assuming that the Time100 talk on 20th October was live, not pre-recorded)
i think this is what's frustrating about these two: they shift focus and jump on any subject that is hot/has media attention and change at a whim. whether it is COVID, race, online abuse/hate/bullying, women's empowerment, mental health, the commonwealth... they will cover any and every topic, and jump between them in whatever 'flavour of the day' is appropriate that week so that they remain relevant. this is hardly the 'authenticity' that meghan constantly speaks about.
__________________
The Humane Society of the United States is the nation’s largest and most effective animal protection organization.
https://www.humanesociety.org
Reply With Quote
  #758  
Old 10-22-2020, 12:16 PM
muriel's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 9,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
The British public is mainly indifferent to the BRF as a whole and to many of its members who are still performing duties so there's not much difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
Pretty much. Harry and Meghan are gone and aren't taking money out of the public's pockets. No sure why they would care. And most don't about any of the royals if we are being honest. They are more tolerated than liked overall. That includes the Sussexes.
Good to see one can form an opinion of the views of the great British public from afar!
Reply With Quote
  #759  
Old 10-22-2020, 12:56 PM
acdc1's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: somewhere in, United States
Posts: 2,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
Pretty much. Harry and Meghan are gone and aren't taking money out of the public's pockets. No sure why they would care. And most don't about any of the royals if we are being honest. They are more tolerated than liked overall. That includes the Sussexes.
The Sussexes may not be taking money out of the public’s pockets anymore but they are still using their British titles in their endeavors, so I would say that yes the British public has a right to care about what they say and do. H&M have also been lecturing the British people on what they “need” to be doing in terms of race relations and have critiqued for not being as diverse as it could be (which is incorrect, it’s extremely diverse), all while sitting in their California mansion because they can’t even be bothered to live in the country they are calling out.
Reply With Quote
  #760  
Old 10-22-2020, 01:11 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Somewhere, United States
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc1 View Post
The Sussexes may not be taking money out of the public’s pockets anymore but they are still using their British titles in their endeavors, so I would say that yes the British public has a right to care about what they say and do. H&M have also been lecturing the British people on what they “need” to be doing in terms of race relations and have critiqued for not being as diverse as it could be (which is incorrect, it’s extremely diverse), all while sitting in their California mansion because they can’t even be bothered to live in the country they are calling out.
H&M probably believe, that they have their fingers on the pulse of the universe, so can make diagnoses and offer remedies to the uninformed public.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 22 (2 members and 20 guests)
biru, evolvingdoors
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Duke and Duchess of Sussex, Current Events 2: April-September 2020 JessRulz Current Events Archive 489 09-03-2020 05:10 AM
General News about the Sussex Family, Part Three: August-September 2020 JessRulz Current Events Archive 919 09-01-2020 07:59 PM
Duke and Duchess of Sussex, Current Events 1: May 2018 - March 2020 JessRulz Current Events Archive 771 04-07-2020 11:20 PM




Popular Tags
abu dhabi althorp american history anastasia anastasia once upon a time ancestry british royal family british royals buckingham palace daisy diana princess of wales doge of venice duke of cambridge dutch dutch royals earl of snowdon family life family tree future games haakon vii hereditary grand duchess stéphanie hereditary grand duke guillaume hill history imperial household intro israel italian royal family jacobite japan jewellery kids movie king willem-alexander książ castle list of rulers mailing maxima mountbatten names nepalese royal jewels plantinum jubilee prince charles prince charles of luxembourg prince dimitri princess ariane princess catharina-amalia princess chulabhorn walailak princess elizabeth princess eugenie princess laurentien princess ribha pronunciation queen louise random facts royal dress-ups royal jewels royal marriage royal re-enactments. royal wedding serbian royal family snowdon speech spencer family thailand thai royal family tracts unsubscribe videos wittelsbach


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:11 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020
Jelsoft Enterprises
×