The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-21-2020, 08:21 PM
Royal Highness

I thought a wild bear prowling around was bad enough ... but now there is a lion on the loose.

And no, this is not some PR ploy for attention and sympathy by Harry and Meghan.

The bear was on Oprah Winfrey's estate back in July, and her house-guest Gayle King posted footage of the security staff warning her to stay indoors until it was shooed away.

A thirty-nine stone adolescent that now appears to have travelled some distance to the area of the Duke and Duchess' home.

Now a cougar has been spotted less than two miles from the Sussex's Rockbridge Rd estate.

It was seen to roar at a pet German Shepherd dog who was minding it's own business in a garden.

And was seen killing prey in another garden.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/129898...ose-near-home/

Perhaps the bear and the cougar will stumble across each other and sort out who is the boss animal of the neighbourhood.

I didn't know Santa Barbara/Montecito was such a wild, live-on-the-edge kind of place.

Would you feel safe sleeping with your windows open on a balmy night?

At least here I only have to worry about bats and possums.

Old 10-21-2020, 08:49 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Lion View Post
I thought a wild bear prowling around was bad enough ... but now there is a lion on the loose.

And no, this is not some PR ploy for attention and sympathy by Harry and Meghan.

The bear was on Oprah Winfrey's estate back in July, and her house-guest Gayle King posted footage of the security staff warning her to stay indoors until it was shooed away.

A thirty-nine stone adolescent that now appears to have travelled some distance to the area of the Duke and Duchess' home.

Now a cougar has been spotted less than two miles from the Sussex's Rockbridge Rd estate.

It was seen to roar at a pet German Shepherd dog who was minding it's own business in a garden.

Perhaps the bear and the cougar will stumble across each other and sort out who is the boss animal of the neighbourhood.

I didn't know Santa Barbara/Montecito was such a wild, live-on-the-edge kind of place.

And Magpies or even butcher birds swooping in breeding spring season (September to November) when walking and exercising (thank goodness I'm not riding a bike). Possums jumping on roof does make me quite hard to fall asleep at night.

Apparently there are peacocks in California, which is definitely not the same as bears and lions

I do think (from looking at some Google images) Santa Barbara/Montecito are leafy with lots of bushes surrounding some houses, which explain why there are animals approaching residents.

Old 10-21-2020, 08:57 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC21091968 View Post
And Magpies or even butcher birds in spring when walking and exercising (thank goodness I'm not riding a bike). Possums jumping on roof does make me quite hard to fall asleep at night.

Apparently there are peacocks in California, which is definitely not the same as bears and lions

I do think (from looking at some Google images) Santa Barbara/Montecito are leafy with lots of bushes surrounding some houses, which explain why there are animals approaching residents.

Perhaps Harry should have held onto those super-expensive hand-made Purdey shotguns he onsold when marrying, AC.

He would have been able to defend the family, and bag a couple of big game trophies while doing it.
Old 10-21-2020, 08:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Lion View Post

It's not unheard of that wildlife including large predators (mountain lions, bears, coyotes) are in the foothills around Santa Barbara Co. and other parts of Southern California. My daughter is a student at UC Santa Barbara and last fall there were alerts about a mountain lion.

The Sussexes like their other neighbors in Montecito, CA likely have security cameras around their properties, so they'll be alerted.
Old 10-21-2020, 09:00 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
It's not unheard of that wildlife including large predators (mountain lions, bears, coyotes) are in the foothills around Santa Barbara Co. and other parts of Southern California. My daughter is a student at UC Santa Barbara and last fall there were alerts about a mountain lion.

The Sussexes like their other neighbors in Montecito, CA likely have security cameras around their properties, so they'll be alerted.

I've almost trodden on a snake, and am forever on the lookout for spiders, TLLK ... but bears and lions are a whole other dimension of "wild".
Old 10-21-2020, 09:37 PM
Super Moderator

Mountain lions, bobcats, bears and other large predators are not at all uncommon throughout the Western states wherever land backs up on to wilderness space. California, and much of the West, has been in an ongoing state of drought for several years, which drives the animals down closer to sources of water and easy prey. It's something you have to be conscious of with small children and pets, so it will be one more thing for the Sussexes to keep in mind.
Old 10-21-2020, 10:36 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ista View Post
Mountain lions, bobcats, bears and other large predators are not at all uncommon throughout the Western states wherever land backs up on to wilderness space. California, and much of the West, has been in an ongoing state of drought for several years, which drives the animals down closer to sources of water and easy prey. It's something you have to be conscious of with small children and pets, so it will be one more thing for the Sussexes to keep in mind.

You know Ista when it was first revealed that the Duke and Duchess had moved to the Santa Barbara area I had another look at a wonderful book I have about the luxury properties, homes and estates there.

And I checked out a lot of online glossy magazines showing the lifestyle in all it's glamour and enviability.

With more time though, I've learnt of the regular floods - called "slides" locally, because of the mudslides that result - and the wildfires.

Now these prowling large predator animals.

Although it has a lot going for it - and no place is free of issues, let alone perfect - it is certainly a different side to the area than the impressions I first had.

And while Montecito has a quiet village and beachside vibe, that doesn't always suit the movers and shakers of the world who like buzz.

With Harry and Meghan trying to build a US based entertainment career path, they may find it doesn't fulfill all their needs.

I've noticed a lot of celebrities buying in the area, but also selling again ... some after only a couple of years.

The Duke and Duchess can spend a few years trying different lifestyles out before being tied down by their son's school requirements.

I hope the authorities can round up these two beasties and re-locate them back up the mountains.

(Imagine jogging on one of those popular mountain tracks though, and meeting up with one of these!)
Old 10-22-2020, 12:34 AM
Heir Apparent

Sun Lion-A hiker in Utah recently had an encounter with a mother mountain lion. The hiker had unknowingly passed too closely to her den. He recorded the encounter with her and lived to tell the tale.

The Sussexes like their neighbors in the foothills have spectacular scenery and relative privacy to enjoy but it does come with the usual concerns for the region: wildfires (2017 was especially bad in that area), mudslides, flash flooding and earthquakes. However for the most part the beauty of the Central Coast tends to outshine the occasional hiccup, so I don't see them wanting to leave anytime soon.
Old 10-22-2020, 01:22 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
Sun Lion-A hiker in Utah recently had an encounter with a mother mountain lion. The hiker had unknowingly passed too closely to her den. He recorded the encounter with her and lived to tell the tale.

The Sussexes like their neighbors in the foothills have spectacular scenery and relative privacy to enjoy but it does come with the usual concerns for the region: wildfires (2017 was especially bad in that area), mudslides, flash flooding and earthquakes. However for the most part the beauty of the Central Coast tends to outshine the occasional hiccup, so I don't see them wanting to leave anytime soon.

Good to know you're not dicing with death every time you go in your backyard TLLK.

(I'd be giving the hen-keeping hobby a miss though, if they're a predator magnet.)
Old 10-22-2020, 05:21 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by caethi View Post
Meghan and Harry are on a PR campaign. It's necessary to establish their profile if they want to become a bankable product and earn some cash. On the matter of the Cosmo article, it is mean-spirited and speculative. I sincerely hope that the Sussexes PR machine isn't actively supporting these kind of articles.

[...]
Yep - an image consultant has been brought in. Either it was for the launch of Archwell in general but my guess is they were told that the public opinion is moving against them and they need to act.
Old 10-22-2020, 06:52 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Yep - an image consultant has been brought in. Either it was for the launch of Archwell in general but my guess is they were told that the public opinion is moving against them and they need to act.
They had to be told??? Before they left the royal family, we were under the impression that they read everything about themselves, which would seem to have been part of the problem. Now, they don't realise that public opinion is not only moving against them but HAS moved against them - for quite a time too.
Old 10-22-2020, 08:53 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick View Post
They had to be told??? Before they left the royal family, we were under the impression that they read everything about themselves, which would seem to have been part of the problem. Now, they don't realise that public opinion is not only moving against them but HAS moved against them - for quite a time too.
Or Harry and Meghan have been keeping up with the UK's atmosphere by actively looking at what's happening in parliament? (This a very optimist view)

I may be speculating here, but I do think timing is the key. I know there might be time zone differences, but on the same day of the Time100 interview with Edward Felsenthal (TIME Editor-in-Chief and CEO), there was a debate in the House of Commons on Black History Month, starting from 1:17pm to 7:00pm. Some of the exchanges did get quite heated. The part that got the most attention in the media was Kemi Badenoch's (Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Equalities) speech towards the end of the debate. From watching the video below, she was criticising Critical Race Theory, decolonising curriculum and the use of "white privilege". I would say she opposed at least 80% of Harry and Meghan's opinion.

Link to the Kemi's speech that got the media attention or even some US political commentators:

Here is the Hansard (Detailed transcript of the Parliamentary debate) link to the full debate if anyone is interested: https://hansard.parliament.uk/Common...ckHistoryMonth

Like Claire have mentioned earlier, I do think an image consultant may have watched the above parliamentary exchange (perhaps some snippets) and quickly tell Harry and Meghan that opinions have changed and they may risk "working against the government". I think this is why they shift their conversation into online communities and social media usage rather than race equality. (This is assuming that the Time100 talk on 20th October was live, not pre-recorded)

Another of example on "timing" is the interview with the Evening Standard, which I think did not go down well with some British public. The reason is that at the same time, there was a report by Matt Goodwin (political researcher) and BBC on white working class boys with one of the lowest admission to university. Perhaps Harry and Meghan and image consultant at that particular point have realised that the British public may have turned against them.

Again, these are my opinions and speculation.
Old 10-22-2020, 09:24 AM
Majesty

The public are mainly indifferent to them.. but I think when they crop up, it does spark off criticism in the press and that 's not going to help their image with the British public. however, I think mostly now that they have gone ot the US, its out of sight and out of mind.. that people think "OK, they wanted to go, they've gone.. who cares what becomes of them now..."
Old 10-22-2020, 09:58 AM
Majesty

The British public is mainly indifferent to the BRF as a whole and to many of its members who are still performing duties so there's not much difference.
Old 10-22-2020, 10:04 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC21091968 View Post
Or Harry and Meghan have been keeping up with the UK's atmosphere by actively looking at what's happening in parliament? (This a very optimist view)

I may be speculating here, but I do think timing is the key. I know there might be time zone differences, but on the same day of the Time100 interview with Edward Felsenthal (TIME Editor-in-Chief and CEO), there was a debate in the House of Commons on Black History Month, starting from 1:17pm to 7:00pm. Some of the exchanges did get quite heated. The part that got the most attention in the media was Kemi Badenoch's (Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Equalities) speech towards the end of the debate. From watching the video below, she was criticising Critical Race Theory, decolonising curriculum and the use of "white privilege". I would say she opposed at least 80% of Harry and Meghan's opinion.

Link to the Kemi's speech that got the media attention or even some US political commentators:

Here is the Hansard (Detailed transcript of the Parliamentary debate) link to the full debate if anyone is interested: https://hansard.parliament.uk/Common...ckHistoryMonth

Like Claire have mentioned earlier, I do think an image consultant may have watched the above parliamentary exchange (perhaps some snippets) and quickly tell Harry and Meghan that opinions have changed and they may risk "working against the government". I think this is why they shift their conversation into online communities and social media usage rather than race equality. (This is assuming that the Time100 talk on 20th October was live, not pre-recorded)

Another of example on "timing" is the interview with the Evening Standard, which I think did not go down well with some British public. The reason is that at the same time, there was a report by Matt Goodwin (political researcher) and BBC on white working class boys with one of the lowest admission to university. Perhaps Harry and Meghan and image consultant at that particular point have realised that the British public may have turned against them.

Again, these are my opinions and speculation.

I don't think what what happening in parliment that day any impact on H&M for two reasons:
1) I think the Time video was shot a few days before it aired.
2) I don't think Meghan cares about anything happening in the UK, let alone to the black community, unless it is about her.
Old 10-22-2020, 11:23 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
The British public is mainly indifferent to the BRF as a whole and to many of its members who are still performing duties so there's not much difference.
Pretty much. Harry and Meghan are gone and aren't taking money out of the public's pockets. No sure why they would care. And most don't about any of the royals if we are being honest. They are more tolerated than liked overall. That includes the Sussexes.
Old 10-22-2020, 11:53 AM
Majesty

a very interesting debate indeed at the house.

Quote:
i think this is what's frustrating about these two: they shift focus and jump on any subject that is hot/has media attention and change at a whim. whether it is COVID, race, online abuse/hate/bullying, women's empowerment, mental health, the commonwealth... they will cover any and every topic, and jump between them in whatever 'flavour of the day' is appropriate that week so that they remain relevant. this is hardly the 'authenticity' that meghan constantly speaks about.
Old 10-22-2020, 12:16 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
Pretty much. Harry and Meghan are gone and aren't taking money out of the public's pockets. No sure why they would care. And most don't about any of the royals if we are being honest. They are more tolerated than liked overall. That includes the Sussexes.
Good to see one can form an opinion of the views of the great British public from afar!
Old 10-22-2020, 12:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
The Sussexes may not be taking money out of the public’s pockets anymore but they are still using their British titles in their endeavors, so I would say that yes the British public has a right to care about what they say and do. H&M have also been lecturing the British people on what they “need” to be doing in terms of race relations and have critiqued for not being as diverse as it could be (which is incorrect, it’s extremely diverse), all while sitting in their California mansion because they can’t even be bothered to live in the country they are calling out.
Old 10-22-2020, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc1 View Post
The Sussexes may not be taking money out of the public’s pockets anymore but they are still using their British titles in their endeavors, so I would say that yes the British public has a right to care about what they say and do. H&M have also been lecturing the British people on what they “need” to be doing in terms of race relations and have critiqued for not being as diverse as it could be (which is incorrect, it’s extremely diverse), all while sitting in their California mansion because they can’t even be bothered to live in the country they are calling out.
H&M probably believe, that they have their fingers on the pulse of the universe, so can make diagnoses and offer remedies to the uninformed public.