The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-09-2020, 12:09 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice Nofret View Post
Yes, and with the internet it is sooo easy for all sorts of crazy people to get visibility.

It is such a shame how internet has gotten abused .. .but then humankind is very good at abusing everything; and sadly, even if it is only a very small percentage of people who are haters and trolls etc. they find a platform on internet and can pack together with other disturbed and sometimes dangerous people.
But mostly they are just sad tiresome nutcases, I doubt if they are any threat to anyone... Or they just enjoy being nasty and provoking a reaction.

Old 10-09-2020, 02:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

https://expressinformer.com/congress...-interference/

Rep. Jason Smith, a U.S. Republican Congressman from Missouri, has written a letter to the British Ambassador to the US demanding that the UK government strip Harry and Meghan of the titles for their "meddling" in the US election through their urging people to vote and to reject hate speech. He writes,

"‘As you know, the British Royal Family has long observed a policy of strict neutrality in regard to political matters. I am therefore concerned by the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s recent comments regarding the United States Presidential Election, especially given international conversations surrounding foreign interference in our elections and the Duke’s status as a guest of the United States."

While I think that his demanding that their titles be stripped is ridiculous, I have to say that I DO agree that using their British titles as they urge people to vote in the US election (and Harry not even being a citizen) is inappropriate. I think that the Queen is going to have to be more strict about when they can and can't use their titles... I personally don't think they should use them at all, since they wanted so badly to become "private citizens" and step away from royal life (apparently so badly so that they don't even want to live in the country that they're supposedly representing). If they want to be private citizens so badly, why can't they just be Harry and Meghan Mountbatten-Windsor (we all know why- because it doesn't pack quite the punch as Prince Harry or the Duke and Duchess of Sussex. Most Americans would think "Who is Harry Mountbatten-Windsor?").

Old 10-09-2020, 03:00 PM
Heir Apparent

This is the same dude who said we should tax the sun. His issue is saying no to hate speech? What a self own. Lol. Anyways...
Old 10-09-2020, 03:39 PM
Nobility

As I said it before, the TITLE means a lot to Meghan when she wants it to mean something, in her opinion. No one cares to listen to her or them, if it is only Mountbatton Windsor or Markle. With TITLE comes Responsibility and Obligation and this is what she does not want. She, they want their cake and eat it too. Title is a two way street.
Old 10-09-2020, 05:26 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
There were vile Tumblr sites spreading poison about Meghan as early as October 2016 that garnished thousands of supporters each, plus many Twitter posts spreading hatred of Meghan and Harry to this day, and huge support to William and Kate at the same time, so it certainly is ascribing a lot of power and influence to Sussex Squad members to believe that the hatred is all going in the one direction.

I've also noted that in the last year or more (perhaps due to the spread of Covid) that a huge number of truly crazy conspiracy theories have sprung up on the Internet regarding elites around the world, including the BRF. There are certainly crazy people who believe that elites and anybody attached to them are planning harm to populations around the world. I'd be more wary of people who believe those than anything else.
I think the last straw for the Sussexes was how Archie was trashed first in the media by the reporter who likened him to a chimp and I have seen some awful comments on social media. I think it natural that Harry and Meghan would have been horrified and it something they could not just let pass. And probably they did not like that there was no statement condemning how Archie was derided in the media.

Also neither one of them endorsed a presidential candidate and Harry was quick to say he could not vote in the election.
Old 10-09-2020, 06:34 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy345 View Post
I think the last straw for the Sussexes was how Archie was trashed first in the media by the reporter who likened him to a chimp and I have seen some awful comments on social media. I think it natural that Harry and Meghan would have been horrified and it something they could not just let pass. And probably they did not like that there was no statement condemning how Archie was derided in the media.

Also neither one of them endorsed a presidential candidate and Harry was quick to say he could not vote in the election.

The person who said that got fired. It wasn’t ignored. Social media is vile. It should be ignored by famous people imo.

Regarding voting, Meghan in some on- line venture regarding the election, she talked about getting the change we deserve. Clearly- she was talking about Biden. She endorsed him without directly endorsing him. But, she did it just the same. IMO- both would have been wise to just shut up about politics and voting. They invited controversy and criticism, and they had to know it beforehand.

They have foreign titles, which is the only reason anyone knows who they are. Meghan married well. That’s it. (That is not to take away from the fact that she is well educated and seems reasonably intelligent. But- that’s not why anyone cares what she has to say. It’s solely based on her marrying into a famous foreign institution that apparently she wasn’t equipped to handle- and now profits off of it.)

But I frankly haven’t seen much discernment in their public decision making over the last year or so. So, no surprise.

I should add- I tend to find celebrities, which is really what they are now, rather annoying when they use their fame to preach about what the the rest of us should do or think.....or tell me to vote period. I’m predisposed to be irritated by this.
Old 10-09-2020, 06:43 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy345 View Post

Sounds awfully like more smears about Britain. One person out of nearly seventy million.

I think you will find that Twitter is an American company.

It was perfectly clear to everyone what the duke & duchess were saying.
Old 10-09-2020, 06:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin9 View Post
The person who said that got fired. It wasn’t ignored. Social media is vile. It should be ignored by famous people imo.

Regarding voting, Meghan in some on- line venture regarding the election, she talked about getting the change we deserve. Clearly- she was talking about Biden. She endorsed him without directly endorsing him. But, she did it just the same. IMO- both would have been wise to just shut up about politics and voting. They invited controversy and criticism, and they had to know it beforehand.

They have foreign titles, which is the only reason anyone knows who they are. Meghan married well. That’s it. (That is not to take away from the fact that she is well educated and seems reasonably intelligent. But- that’s not why anyone cares what she has to say. It’s solely based on her marrying into a famous foreign institution that apparently she wasn’t equipped to handle- and now profits off of it.)

But I frankly haven’t seen much discernment in their public decision making over the last year or so. So, no surprise.

I should add- I tend to find celebrities, which is really what they are now, rather annoying when they use their fame to preach about what the the rest of us should do or think.....or tell me to vote period. I’m predisposed to be irritated by this.

Very true Erin9- Here is the BBC's article on how Mr. Baker was fired for his remark and the very public consequence that he received for making it.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-48212693

Quote:
The BBC has sacked Danny Baker, saying he showed a "serious error of judgement" over his tweet about the Duke and Duchess of Sussex's baby.

The tweet, which he later deleted but which has been circulated on social media, showed an image of a couple holding hands with a chimpanzee dressed in clothes with the caption: "Royal Baby leaves hospital".

The BBC 5 Live presenter was accused of mocking the duchess's racial heritage.

Old 10-09-2020, 06:59 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin9 View Post

I think if Meghan really don't want these negative attention and controversies, perhaps she should have just privately vote for Biden and not mention a word on the election or other contentious issue at all. I don't know what other junior members (not working member) of the Royal Family think on controversial issues, because they stay quite and out of it. They might secretly vote for a particular party in UK general/local elections, but I will never know.

If Meghan starts intervening the trade deal talks between UK and US or other countries, than I would expect some outrage from politicians and the public.

Apologies if I have to quote myself. I am not quite sure the content of the "Cold calling". It could mean encouraging women (female relative) to vote or a more cynical view, encouraging them to vote Biden. This is another source/fuel for outrage really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC21091968 View Post
Gloria Steinem was on The Ellen Show (virtually) and Meghan was mentioned (starting from 3:10 to 4:00). The term "cold called voters" was used.
Ellen DeGeneres@TheEllenShow
.@GloriaSteinem reminds us why hope is so important.
4:33 AM · Oct 8, 2020·Twitter Media Studio
https://twitter.com/TheEllenShow/sta...95291087593473
Old 10-09-2020, 07:09 PM
Serene Highness

It's a continuing pattern of behaviour. All decorum thrown out of the window.
Old 10-09-2020, 07:21 PM
Aristocracy

Meghan still never said Biden's name. It's all secret ballots for people. She is not on his campaign team. She also said that women should vote which is OK. Meghan is never mentioned on news shows representing left or right. There are much bigger issues and now some are wondering if Trump is testing negative for COVID. It's a weird election year without a titled American citizen's comments cited.
Old 10-09-2020, 07:26 PM
Royal Highness

The Sun is reporting that Frogmore Cottage is being readied for a visit by Prince Harry -

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/128930...off-come-home/
Old 10-09-2020, 07:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Lion View Post
The Sun is reporting that Frogmore Cottage is being readied for a visit by Prince Harry -

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/128930...off-come-home/
Hmmmmmm I still would be very surprised if they’re readying it for Harry. He has to quarantine for 2 weeks, correct? And then quarantine from Meghan and Archie (assuming they are not traveling with him) for two weeks when he gets back, not to mention the time he would be in the UK. Could they be preparing it for another member of the family to move in?
Old 10-09-2020, 08:03 PM
Courtier

He has to leave the US for tax purposes. Might as well come back to the UK?
Old 10-09-2020, 08:19 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc1 View Post
Hmmmmmm I still would be very surprised if they’re readying it for Harry. He has to quarantine for 2 weeks, correct? And then quarantine from Meghan and Archie (assuming they are not traveling with him) for two weeks when he gets back, not to mention the time he would be in the UK. Could they be preparing it for another member of the family to move in?

I think Frogmore Cottage is the UK base for the Sussexes and will be for their use "forever" acdc1.

There was a discussion a few days ago between Richard Kay, Rebecca English and Robert Lacey in which Ms English said that the original idea had been for Prince Harry to return to the UK once a month for his patronages and charities.

It was almost a de facto way of doing the "half in/half out" that the couple originally proposed.

(Covid stopping it, of course.)

Perhaps part of the prep work for the Duke's visit is to have whatever staff/security he will need, do their own self-isolation before he arrives in a few weeks - so he is not at risk for Covid from them.

I don't think the Duchess and little Archie will be with him. I think he will do his self-isolation and then have meetings, discussions, talks, sign papers to bow out of this and that, and then return to his Montecito home for Christmas.

I think this is either a circuit-breaker, or a visit for some formalities he is still tied to.

Certainly there are "sources" saying the original plan - after the half and half idea was quashed - that say the couple will now "retire" at the end of the review year.

And yes Prinsara, could be why a visit back is needed now.
Old 10-09-2020, 08:22 PM
Aristocracy

I don't think he will leave his family for that length of time. then there is that Netflix project which will take some attention.
Old 10-09-2020, 08:36 PM
Courtier

Nigel Farage (Leader of the Brexit Party) has also weigh in on the matter. He also attached the Daily Mail article
Nigel Farage @Nigel_Farage
Should a Royal Duke and Duchess interfere in the US Presidential election campaign? I don't think so. Congressman Jason Smith has a point.
8:29 AM · Oct 10, 2020·Twitter for iPhone
https://twitter.com/Nigel_Farage/sta...79342031540225
Old 10-09-2020, 08:50 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
Very true Erin9- Here is the BBC's article on how Mr. Baker was fired for his remark and the very public consequence that he received for making it.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-48212693
Yup, and blaming the entire media for the words of one racist idiot is wrong...

Meghan doesn't seem to have fully grasped the fact that marrying into the BRF entails certain restrictions on her freedoms - not because there are actual rules against these freedoms, but because certain things just are not done (or said). She seems to still want it all - the title, the automatic "respect" she's accorded, the wealth, the privilege - without making any sacrifices. If she feels that she shouldn't have to make these sacrifices, then give up the title - but we all know she won't do that; she loves being a Duchess too much.

Let's see if HM gives Harry a talking to (as referenced in the Sun article)
Old 10-09-2020, 09:16 PM
Nobility

Attacking baby's and even older children is way over the line in my opinion, how tacky can one get anyway. The only thing I can say about little Archie, he is a mini version of Harry, just cuter.
Old 10-09-2020, 09:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by REAL COUNTESS View Post
Attacking baby's and even older children is way over the line in my opinion, how tacky can one get anyway. The only thing I can say about little Archie, he is a mini version of Harry, just cuter.
Absolutely true that it is tacky and over the line which this is why it was appropriate for the BBC to fire Danny Baker for his Twitter comment about Archie.

Quote:
I think if Meghan really don't want these negative attention and controversies, perhaps she should have just privately vote for Biden and not mention a word on the election or other contentious issue at all. I don't know what other junior members (not working member) of the Royal Family think on controversial issues, because they stay quite and out of it. They might secretly vote for a particular party in UK general/local elections, but I will never know.
While I don't have an issue with Meghan making a single comment encouraging people to vote, I do believe that it would have been better for the Sussexes to limit how often they've done this during an election year. Prince Harry's comments regarding not being able to vote was not a good decision IMHO.

Closed Thread