The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #521  
Old 10-08-2020, 12:09 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
While Meghan indeed attracted 'new' fans, I am not sure that truly extended to 'the rest of the royal family'. And her actions of late more likely pitched the new recruits against the royal family instead of resulting in a larger group of supporters/followers of the BRF.
I think Meghan will wind up being a wash for the BRF. It wasn’t struggling pre-Meghan and it’s not struggling now. I doubt The Queen gets up in the morning thinking that it’s a lucky thing she and her family were rescued from obscurity by Meghan Markle from Suits.
__________________

  #522  
Old 10-08-2020, 12:44 AM
ACO ACO is offline
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 3,246
I don’t think the Queen does either but I will say that Meghan’s entrance definitely brought new eyes to the family. But that was inevitable. I saw the BRF talked about more globally in recent years. They have become sort of pop culture in a way again. Blogs, podcast, web series, etc. All this stuff happened in the last 2 years or so.

But all that said at the end of the day the monarchy is the monarchy. It always goes though ups and down with the media and world attention. This is one of the heights. It will slow down again and then the younger royals will become teens and the cycle will start up again.

It’s how it goes.
__________________

  #523  
Old 10-08-2020, 05:00 AM
muriel's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 9,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
I don’t think the Queen does either but I will say that Meghan’s entrance definitely brought new eyes to the family. But that was inevitable. I saw the BRF talked about more globally in recent years. They have become sort of pop culture in a way again. Blogs, podcast, web series, etc. All this stuff happened in the last 2 years or so.

But all that said at the end of the day the monarchy is the monarchy. It always goes though ups and down with the media and world attention. This is one of the heights. It will slow down again and then the younger royals will become teens and the cycle will start up again.

It’s how it goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
I saw the BRF talked about more globally in recent years. They have become sort of pop culture in a way again. Blogs, podcast, web series, etc. All this stuff happened in the last 2 years or so.
I have often read similar messages, and I largely agree. The entry of Meghan certainly did bring the BRF to the attention of a number of overseas people. This is not dissimilar to what happened with the weddings of Anne, Charles, Andrew, Edward and William respectively.

The question in my mind, though, is whether that overseas interest is of any use to the BRF at all? For example, the interest from an American audience is of use to the Queen. She does not reign over them, nor does she hope to. Unlike Meghan, the Queen has no interest in making money from speaking engagements or Netflix shows to be sold to the Americans. So, IMO, that interest and adulation actually amounts to very little for the Firm.
  #524  
Old 10-08-2020, 07:45 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 7,495
Well, it certainly helps with donations to charities. Americans donate big to US based BRF charities, and sometimes don't get too much bang for their buck.

https://nypost.com/2019/12/14/americ...n-their-cause/

Plus, members of the Royal Family, especially Charles and Diana/Camilla, have visited various parts of the US over the years and became friendly with prominent Americans, such as the Reagans. Charles has wealthy US friends even now, connected to his charities, like the Clooneys.
  #525  
Old 10-08-2020, 08:11 AM
ACO ACO is offline
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 3,246
Yeah I will agree. It might not appeal to the Queen but it certainly seems having a more global (and I don’t just mean US) appeal has been the goal of the younger generation of royals. Not that it is a bad thing. It’s actually smart.
  #526  
Old 10-08-2020, 09:53 AM
muriel's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 9,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Well, it certainly helps with donations to charities. Americans donate big to US based BRF charities, and sometimes don't get too much bang for their buck.

https://nypost.com/2019/12/14/americ...n-their-cause/

Plus, members of the Royal Family, especially Charles and Diana/Camilla, have visited various parts of the US over the years and became friendly with prominent Americans, such as the Reagans. Charles has wealthy US friends even now, connected to his charities, like the Clooneys.
Those wealthy American benefactors did not need MEghan to connect them with Charles, C&C have been covering them for years!
  #527  
Old 10-08-2020, 10:09 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Those wealthy American benefactors did not need MEghan to connect them with Charles, C&C have been covering them for years!
People who got into the RF because of Meghan will almsot certaily have gone off the RF when Meg and H walked out....
  #528  
Old 10-08-2020, 11:43 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Posts: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
She was welcomed in the same spirit that any royal bride would be.. IMO. Ie some royal watchers who are very enthusiastic about the RF were really pleased and ready to welcome her.. Most people just thought of it as a royal wedding coming up and weren't that excited.. People IMO aren't THAT into the RF unless there is an event, like a wedding, or a scandal/big fuss like the war of the Waleses. I don't think that people were one way or the other with MEghan except for ardent Harry fans or ardent royal fans...but it would be the same whoever he married...Once she was married it was then up to her to do the job and see how she worked out, but while she did well at first and I think got some admiration and good press for enthusiasm, she also got criticism..But again that's to be expected.. Kate has gotten criticism and so did her family but a lot of it was in her courtship days and now she's settled into life and is admired for her low key but increasing work rate... and to be honest, with Meghan bowing out of royal life after little more than a year, Kate has the field to herself....
But Meg and Harry began to react badly to any criticism within the first year or so, and began increasingly it seems to do things that gave the press an excuse to have a go at them...
I think the attitude of many can be summed up by that of my 72 year-old mother. She was uncertain at the suitability of the match, given Meghan's worldliness, sophistication and evident ambition contrasting with Harry's very evident besotted behaviour, his relative immaturity and damaged past. She however, like many others hoped that it would work for them and that they would be happy.

Their apparent dereliction of their duty to the country and The Queen has I think turned many people off this couple. Their preachy video messages are a world away from the opinions, priorities and preoccupations of the majority of Harry's Grandmother's subjects and the perceived hankering after LA celebrity status makes a mockery of Harry's desire to be able to lead a private life. This combination has caused a cooling of the compassion and good will towards them and I think it would be very hard for them to return to the Royal fold and carry on where they left off.
  #529  
Old 10-08-2020, 11:56 AM
muriel's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 9,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
People who got into the RF because of Meghan will almsot certaily have gone off the RF when Meg and H walked out....
Well said!
  #530  
Old 10-08-2020, 12:08 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Well said!
and by and large, I dont think that these are people who'll be capable of giving huge donations to charities..Meghan DID attract some Hollywoold people who became friends with her when she married, and now she and H have developed relationships wiht some journalists.. but overall I dont think that the people who took to following the RF for a time when H and Meg got married are the rich and glitzy.. They are ordinary people who were pleased to see an "ordinary working woman" marrying into the BRF.. but now odds are that they are upset that Meg felt unhappy in the RF and wanted out and are not likely to contiunue following the RF....
  #531  
Old 10-08-2020, 12:27 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 15,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius1 View Post
I think the attitude of many can be summed up by that of my 72 year-old mother. She was uncertain at the suitability of the match, given Meghan's worldliness, sophistication and evident ambition contrasting with Harry's very evident besotted behaviour, his relative immaturity and damaged past. She however, like many others hoped that it would work for them and that they would be happy.

Their apparent dereliction of their duty to the country and The Queen has I think turned many people off this couple. Their preachy video messages are a world away from the opinions, priorities and preoccupations of the majority of Harry's Grandmother's subjects and the perceived hankering after LA celebrity status makes a mockery of Harry's desire to be able to lead a private life. This combination has caused a cooling of the compassion and good will towards them and I think it would be very hard for them to return to the Royal fold and carry on where they left off.
I can only go by my outlook as an older American but, other than what is posted here at TRF, I don't "follow" H&M anywhere else. I rarely (if ever) play the video links or read the articles posted. When they left the "Firm", the reasons I was interested in them went with them. I don't buy into the "woke" culture as I believe the work the BRF has been doing for decades has it right and its serving the people rather than being self serving.

I wish the couple happiness and good fortune but the way they seem to be going now just doesn't really appeal to me at all. They made their decision on how they want to live their lives and I believe they have the right to do so but to be honest, to me, its a downgrade when it comes to being philanthropic and making a difference in the world.
__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
  #532  
Old 10-08-2020, 01:23 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I can only go by my outlook as an older American but, other than what is posted here at TRF, I don't "follow" H&M anywhere else. I rarely (if ever) play the video links or read the articles posted. When they left the "Firm", the reasons I was interested in them went with them. I don't buy into the "woke" culture as I believe the work the BRF has been doing for decades has it right and its serving the people rather than being self serving.

I wish the couple happiness and good fortune but the way they seem to be going now just doesn't really appeal to me at all. They made their decision on how they want to live their lives and I believe they have the right to do so but to be honest, to me, its a downgrade when it comes to being philanthropic and making a difference in the world.
but the point is.. that Meg and H walked out at least partly becasue they didn't feel that Meg was welcomed by the RF or the British press and public. I think that she got a reasonable welcome.. but I agree the press were never too keen on her...so that wasn't the best start. The public were Ok with her but I dont think tehre was any great emotion about them as a couple except by people who were already harry Fans or those who were plesased to see Meg - as an ordinary girl from an ordinary family - marrying into the RF.
  #533  
Old 10-08-2020, 01:44 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 15,422
Maybe it's because I'm an American that I see the British Royal Family as an ordinary family in an extraordinary situation. People who make up a royal family still put their pants on one leg at a time like the rest of the world does. There is really very little difference between the prince and the pauper when it comes down to human nature. A royal human is just as susceptible to faults and foibles and mistakes as is the rest of us.
__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
  #534  
Old 10-08-2020, 02:28 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Manchester, United Kingdom
Posts: 708
I don't know - I think everyone got quite caught up in the wedding. It was such a lovely day - OK, the weather's just one of those things, but it was a perfect day, clear blue sky and sunshine, and everyone looked great, and people were posting all over Facebook about whose outfits they did and didn't like. It wasn't just that Meghan was an American or that she was mixed race, it was also that she'd been married before, and that they were able to marry in church anyway. It did seem to send out a message that it was OK for everyone to love whomever they wanted to, and I think people did really like that. And there was a lot of sympathy for Harry, after he lost his mother so young, and people were glad to see him happy.


But a wedding's just one day.
  #535  
Old 10-08-2020, 02:42 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 703
They had a lot of well wishers at their pre marriage engagements and as far as I could see their post marriage ones as well. It would be fair to say that she didn't have much of a honeymoon period with the press and in the comments section which they read (and they even did the first 100 days review they do with US Presidents)and even then they had their die hard supporters, but I think they had a lot of warmth from the public in person. Although obviously that's only the small section that is the type to go in person for one reason or another. Things like the cookbook were also applauded.

I really don't think it's fair to trash the entire country and being unwelcoming and racist. It also didn't help that her entire paternal family were more than willing to help the tabloids try and bury her.

And they were dealing with a whirlwind romance turned marriage, moving to a new country and culture, billions of eyes on them, new "job for life" AND a baby all at once as well as wanting to modernise the monarchy in a few months. I mean they're still dealing with a lot of that now and it's a lot for anyone, something was bound to give, even for a normal couple.
  #536  
Old 10-08-2020, 02:48 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Philadelphia, United States
Posts: 5,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
People who got into the RF because of Meghan will almsot certaily have gone off the RF when Meg and H walked out....

Many of the more devoted Meghan fans seem to have left this forum, so I think you're correct about that.
  #537  
Old 10-08-2020, 02:52 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Woodbury, United States
Posts: 1,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius1 View Post
Their apparent dereliction of their duty to the country and The Queen has I think turned many people off this couple. Their preachy video messages are a world away from the opinions, priorities and preoccupations of the majority of Harry's Grandmother's subjects and the perceived hankering after LA celebrity status makes a mockery of Harry's desire to be able to lead a private life. This combination has caused a cooling of the compassion and good will towards them and I think it would be very hard for them to return to the Royal fold and carry on where they left off.
Preachy is a good way to describe them. There's an article on Prince William today, and this quote from that article sums up how I feel:

Quote:
Ms Tominey pointed out that the Duke's style of campaigning is 'markedly different' to Harry and Meghan Markle's videos addressing racism and politics.

'Those closest to him insist that the last thing he wants to be is a "preaching Prince",' she said. adding that the insider insists William has 'no interest in telling people how to live their lives' and is 'realistic'.
I'm not saying that William is deliberately being anti-Harry, but what I am saying is that I much prefer the way he goes about trying to make a difference. IMO, Harry and Meghan pick up on the hot button issues of the day and blather on; nothing about the way they go about things makes me want to tune in and pay attention - it's the opposite.
  #538  
Old 10-08-2020, 06:48 PM
rominet09's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: LIEGE, Belgium
Posts: 4,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Many of the more devoted Meghan fans seem to have left this forum, so I think you're correct about that.
I used to be one of their biggest fan, I no longer am but I'm still participating in this forum, there are plenty of other Royals I am very fond of ! They were not my only interest.
  #539  
Old 10-08-2020, 07:15 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: san diego, United States
Posts: 8,982
Date night for Harry and Meghan
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ws-dinner.html
  #540  
Old 10-08-2020, 07:35 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Scotland, United Kingdom
Posts: 643
IMO the British public in general were welcoming, there are always republicans that are not interested but that doesn't make them hostile.
The Markle family started it with the comments, then the press kicked in, I also think they shot themselves in the foot with how the decided to deal with the press. There might have been a better way. I don't think the public turned against them as such but different incidents caused a cooling off, the public were seeing a different side that they didnt like. A bit hypocrisy was creeping in.
Also something I had never really seen before was the support that Meghan has that in some cases would turn against other royals, that was all new and the general public didn't like that either.
They wanted to leave but didn't like the terms so they stamped their feet.
There is an element of disinterest now, people are bored with the messaging, it is all about self.
It is sad, but the public will get over It.
They have chosen celebrity.
__________________

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 8 (2 members and 6 guests)
Claricecolin, Curbside
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Duke and Duchess of Sussex, Current Events 2: April-September 2020 JessRulz Current Events Archive 489 09-03-2020 04:10 AM
General News about the Sussex Family, Part Three: August-September 2020 JessRulz Current Events Archive 919 09-01-2020 06:59 PM
Duke and Duchess of Sussex, Current Events 1: May 2018 - March 2020 JessRulz Current Events Archive 771 04-07-2020 10:20 PM




Popular Tags
abu dhabi althorp american history anastasia anastasia once upon a time ancestry british royals chittagong cht commonwealth countries daisy diana princess of wales dragons duke of cambridge dutch dutch royals family life family tree future games haakon vii hereditary grand duchess stéphanie hereditary grand duke guillaume hill history house of glucksburg imperial household interesting intro israel jack brooksbank jacobite japan jumma kids movie king willem-alexander książ castle list of rulers mailing maxima mountbatten nepal nepalese royal jewels norwegian royal family prince charles of luxembourg princess ariane princess catharina-amalia princess chulabhorn walailak princess elizabeth princess ribha pronunciation queen louise queen maxima royal balls royal jewels royal marriage royal wedding serbian royal family snowdon spain speech spencer family taiwan thailand thai royal family tracts unsubscribe videos wedding gown wittelsbach


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:53 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020
Jelsoft Enterprises
×