The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-07-2020, 05:10 AM
Royal Highness

Im a little bit confused about the whole suing news papers and saying people are picking on them ......wasn't it her own family that started all this negative press ? ..why doesn't she go after her family as well for lies ? I know the newspapers are awful, but her family didn't help matters, Not like her lovely mother who is I think comes over as a lovely woman/ Mom x

Old 10-07-2020, 08:49 AM
Majesty

is this for real?!

https://twitter.com/markle2020

the website, MeghanForPresident.com, looks remarkably similar to the sussex one and quite official, but taking it with a grain of salt as if it was official it would be all over the british media.

the site is encouraging people to 'Vote For A Write-In Candidate'.

Quote:
Besides the names on your ballot, you may be able to write in names of other candidates. Most states let you write in votes for president, U.S. senator, and U.S. representative. They may also allow write-in votes for governor and other state offices.

Check with your state election office to find out the rules for your state. If you check using your state’s election website, enter “write-in candidates” in the search bar.

usa.gov
there's even a hashtag... #BelieveInMeghan

Old 10-07-2020, 09:10 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota View Post
is this for real?!

the website, MeghanForPresident.com, looks remarkably similar to the sussex one and quite official, but taking it with a grain of salt as if it was official it would be all over the british media.

It looks real...but, the tweets are protected, so I can’t see them....not that I’d want to. The account has no followers, so....
Old 10-07-2020, 09:13 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm1939 View Post
Not like her lovely mother who is I think comes over as a lovely woman/ Mom x
Doria has behaved impeccably ever since Meghan and Harry first got together. She has not put a foot wrong, and no-one's got anything but praise for her. I think she's great.
Old 10-07-2020, 01:08 PM
Nobility

There is a German saying, HOCHMUT KOMMT VOR DEM FALL. (....)they harder they fall. Maybe the next tweet will read MEAGHAN FOR QUEEN. really this commend will be removed swiftly since it will be viewed as negative. Give people the chance to judge for them self's.
Old 10-07-2020, 03:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
It looks real...but, the tweets are protected, so I can’t see them....not that I’d want to. The account has no followers, so....
It is clearly a spoof site.
Old 10-07-2020, 05:13 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
She was welcomed in the same spirit that any royal bride would be.. IMO. Ie some royal watchers who are very enthusiastic about the RF were really pleased and ready to welcome her.. Most people just thought of it as a royal wedding coming up and weren't that excited.. People IMO aren't THAT into the RF unless there is an event, like a wedding, or a scandal/big fuss like the war of the Waleses. I don't think that people were one way or the other with MEghan except for ardent Harry fans or ardent royal fans...but it would be the same whoever he married...Once she was married it was then up to her to do the job and see how she worked out, but while she did well at first and I think got some admiration and good press for enthusiasm, she also got criticism..But again that's to be expected.. Kate has gotten criticism and so did her family but a lot of it was in her courtship days and now she's settled into life and is admired for her low key but increasing work rate... and to be honest, with Meghan bowing out of royal life after little more than a year, Kate has the field to herself....
But Meg and Harry began to react badly to any criticism within the first year or so, and began increasingly it seems to do things that gave the press an excuse to have a go at them...
Meghan actually garnered a lot more interest in the royal family from young people, which is something that other brides haven't had so much (apart from very famous brides like Diana) - especially young people from ethnic minority backgrounds. Many people who said they previously had no interest in the BRF or who shared more republican (in the English sense!) views were now taking an interest in Meghan and the rest of the royal family.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 10-07-2020, 06:17 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota View Post
is this for real?!

Well I tried to subscribe out of curiosity. I doubt she'd be happy as president - no one gets more negative press than the president. It's part of the job.
Old 10-07-2020, 06:48 PM
Aristocracy

I think this is just idle chatter in the media about Meghan running for president. Considering the two current US presidential candidates are of advanced age, I don't think any political run, if any, will be imminent.
Old 10-07-2020, 07:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
Meghan actually garnered a lot more interest in the royal family from young people, which is something that other brides haven't had so much (apart from very famous brides like Diana) - especially young people from ethnic minority backgrounds. Many people who said they previously had no interest in the BRF or who shared more republican (in the English sense!) views were now taking an interest in Meghan and the rest of the royal family.
While Meghan indeed attracted 'new' fans, I am not sure that truly extended to 'the rest of the royal family'. And her actions of late more likely pitched the new recruits against the royal family instead of resulting in a larger group of supporters/followers of the BRF.
Old 10-07-2020, 07:53 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
While Meghan indeed attracted 'new' fans, I am not sure that truly extended to 'the rest of the royal family'. And her actions of late more likely pitched the new recruits against the royal family instead of resulting in a larger group of supporters/followers of the BRF.
Well people who took an interest because Meghan had become a a royal are not that likely to remain interested in the RF after her speedy and somewhat dramatic departure. If they liked her, and she walked out on the RF odd are that they would lose interest in the RF, or become hostile to them... and follow Meghan in her new life
Old 10-07-2020, 08:00 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
You are both right. Meghan has attracted "new" fans, particularly from the younger generation, people from ethnic minority backgrounds, republicans/anti-monarchist or just people not usually interested in the Royal Family. However, I think Meghan has also driven away traditional/conservative monarchists, who are quite "turn off" by her even going back to the engagement and wedding. Some of these traditional monarchists believed that The Queen and the Royal Family are too soft/lenient on Harry & Meghan and Andrew. Some of them even vow to become a Republican if the Queen does not act tough actions fast enough or when Charles become King. I am not quite sure what they meant by "tough actions", but I can guess along the lines of
  • Remove the Duke of Sussex and Duke of York from them, though it can only be done by an Act in Parliament
  • Remove the HRH style and Prince title (I assume they meant "editing/modifying" the Letters Patent, which I think it's quite ludicrous)
  • Remove Royal Patronages or other representative roles (Some posters here have pointed out that it's quite difficult to do so)
  • Completely cut them off financially and possibly "pay back" the money to HM Treasury (Not receiving from the Sovereign Grant, Duchy of Cornwall, Duchy of Lancaster or other Trusts) (Harry & Meghan of course have already pay back the renovation for Frogmore cottage and vow to earn independently for a living)
  • Not appear in the public eye or even complete ostracisation, similar to the 7th Earl of Harewood and possibly Marina Mowatt (daughter of Princess Alexandra) at one point (The latter one is in the extreme circumstance!)

Edited: I have included Marina Mowatt, because there was a "scandal" at that time, during her first pregnancy's announcement when Marina and Paul were not married
Old 10-07-2020, 08:16 PM
Aristocracy

I think it is totally different from Harewood, he was involved with another woman while married and at that time it was a scandal. Times have changed and three of the queen's children have divorced. His mistress gave birth to his son while he was still married. Later it was found that Mark Phillips and Snowdon had had children by other women and it was not the "scandal" it was with Harewood. Snowdon was never ostracized and Mark Phillips and Anne divorced.

I think it would be too"draconian" to take Harry and Meghan's titles away and I doubt the Queen will ever remove Andrew's titles in any case. This might open a can of worms with questions about why the York Princesses and the Queen's cousins have titles.
Old 10-07-2020, 08:30 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy345 View Post
I think it is totally different from Harewood, he was involved with another woman while married and at that time it was a scandal. Times have changed and three of the queen's children have divorced. His mistress gave birth to his son while he was still married. Later it was found that Mark Phillips and Snowdon had had children by other women and it was not the "scandal" it was with Harewood. Snowdon was never ostracized and Mark Phillips and Anne divorced.

I think it would be too"draconian" to take Harry and Meghan's titles away and I doubt the Queen will ever remove Andrew's titles in any case. This might open a can of worms with questions about why the York Princesses and the Queen's cousins have titles.
I have edited my post earlier to include Marina Ogilvy, but I am not quite sure if she was actually ostracised. This was after her first pregnancy announcement (whilst the couple were not married at that time). Apparently, there was a feud between Marina and her parents, who possibly suggested that she either married Paul Mowatt or have an abortion. To some, Marina has been described as a "loose cannon" or scandalous figure, particularly after a photoshoot with her in a "fake crown" surrounded with corgis.

I agree with you that removing the Dukedoms, Prince titles and HRH style will open a can of worms, though I think some people might think that York Princesses should not be punished for their father's action. They would probably believe that the Queen's first cousins (apart from Prince Michael of Kent, who is not a working royal) have been dutiful in serving the country and representing the Queen for almost half a century with little or no fuss despite getting little coverage.
Old 10-07-2020, 08:36 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC21091968 View Post
I have edited my post earlier to include Marina Ogilvy, but I am not quite sure if she was actually ostracised. This was after her first pregnancy announcement (whilst the couple were not married at that time). Apparently, there was a feud between Marina and her parents, who possibly suggested that she either married Paul Mowatt or have an abortion. To some, Marina has been described as a "loose cannon" or scandalous figure, particularly after a photoshoot with her in a "fake tiara" surrounded with corgis.
I dont think they were too happy with her, but I dont know of her being ostracised per se. She went through a rebellious phase for a couple of years then seemed to disappear but she was never a working royal anyway
Old 10-07-2020, 08:49 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
It is clearly a spoof site.
I didn't think so.......I would have no idea how to tell a spoof site from a real one, especially since I wouldn't put it past any Meghan fan to open such an account.
Old 10-07-2020, 10:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
I didn't think so.......I would have no idea how to tell a spoof site from a real one, especially since I wouldn't put it past any Meghan fan to open such an account.
Most these sites have been opened by the Megxit crowd. I suspect this is another. There have been a few and the press even picked this up calling it a spoof as well. Creative though but you won't find me spending money and all that time on someone I clearly dislike. Couldn't be me. LOL
Old 10-07-2020, 10:14 PM
Courtier

Gloria Steinem was on The Ellen Show (virtually) and Meghan was mentioned (starting from 3:10 to 4:00). The term "cold called voters" was used.
Ellen DeGeneres@TheEllenShow
.@GloriaSteinem reminds us why hope is so important.
4:33 AM · Oct 8, 2020·Twitter Media Studio
https://twitter.com/TheEllenShow/sta...95291087593473
Old 10-07-2020, 10:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Harry and Meghan will be chatting with Malala for "Day of the Girl"

Old 10-07-2020, 11:52 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
Most these sites have been opened by the Megxit crowd. I suspect this is another. There have been a few and the press even picked this up calling it a spoof as well. Creative though but you won't find me spending money and all that time on someone I clearly dislike. Couldn't be me. LOL
Oh, lol...well, that could be, lol. Like you, I would never waste my time on someone I dislike; it’s kind of pathetic.