The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 1: September-December 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm so glad that these teens were happy with the way the interview went with Harry and Meghan and the extra publicity it garnished for their important cause. It sounds like a very comfortable and informal occasion for everyone.

"Dark" seems a strange description/criticism to me QueenMathilde.

I would describe the property as demanding though.

All those hedges to clip, lawns to mow, roses to dead-head, fruit trees to prune. People needed to keep the pool sparkling, clean those numerous rooms.

Imagine the bill for the light-bulbs! :lol:

I presume a lot of staff would be contractors, just coming to the property to do their jobs and then leaving.

I saw it reported that the Duke and Duchess were "chauffeured" to the dinner out at "Lucky's Steakhouse" last week, and that they had security.

I guess the chauffeur was actually also security staff, but it suprised me they didn't drive themselves. Doesn't Prince Harry have a US driver's license yet?

I also assume they brought their nanny/manny - single or plural - with them from the UK/Canada, and that they live in.

But someone would have had to be paid to do all the legal paper-work if they too are a UK citizen.

Mortgagae repayments and property taxes ... so many outgoings attached to this level of living.

I would be happy to live there if all that was taken care of for me, but otherwise, it's almost like running a small business just to have a roof over your head.

Who feeds all these people? Do the security guys do a run down to the local burger joint when on a meal-break?

Makes me appreciate the pluses of a smaller, simpler life.

Would be nice for a visit though. I would love them to do a family photo-shoot for a glossy magazine.

Wow, so much wondering about the Sussexes and their new life in Montecito. Do you ever spend time wondering the same about the maintenance and upkeep of the palatial and country residences of all the other members of the British royal family?

I heard someone reference M&H affectionately and informally the other day as, The Duke and Duchess of Montecito. :lol:

So if detractors get their wish to strip the Sussex title away, perhaps there will be those who will join in bestowing upon them that inspired moniker. Or else, M&H would then be known as Prince and Princess Henry of Wales (or would it more accurately be 'of Windsor?) Hmmm.... I think Meghan and Harry do not stand on ceremony. They have been known to ask people to just call them by their given names.

I'm fascinated by all the over-curiosity given to lifestyle and activities of the 'irrelevant' Duke and Duchess of Sussex. I can't see your wished-for "Sussex family photo-shoot for a glossy magazine" ever happening. That would be great fodder for the British tabloids to sink their teeth into though.

Last edited:
I'm so glad that these teens were happy with the way the interview went with Harry and Meghan and the extra publicity it garnished for their important cause. It sounds like a very comfortable and informal occasion for everyone.

The teens of Teenager Therapy will be hosting the upcoming Time100 discussion series episode with Meghan and Harry. It will air tomorrow at 1:00pm Eastern time.

Wow, so much wondering about the Sussexes and their new life in Montecito. Do you ever spend time wondering the same about the maintenance and upkeep of the palatial and country residences of all the other members of the British royal family?

I heard someone reference M&H affectionately and informally the other day as, The Duke and Duchess of Montecito. :lol:

So if detractors get their wish to strip the Sussex title away, perhaps there will be those who will join in bestowing upon them that inspired moniker. Or else, M&H would then be known as Prince and Princess Henry of Wales (or would it more accurately be 'of Windsor?) Hmmm.... I think Meghan and Harry do not stand on ceremony. They have been known to ask people to just call them by their given names.

I'm fascinated by all the over-curiosity given to lifestyle and activities of the 'irrelevant' Duke and Duchess of Sussex. I can't see your wished-for "Sussex family photo-shoot for a glossy magazine" ever happening. That would be great fodder for the British tabloids to sink their teeth into though.

Hi MaiaMia ...

No, I don't ever spend time wondering about the maintenance and upkeep of the palatial and country residences of all the other members of the British royal family.

I grew up with the Royal family being a constant in the "life" of my country, and a lot of it is just background if you know what I mean - nothing to get over-excited about after all these decades.

You've made a mistake if you think I'm a "detractor" - as I've said previously, just because I post something doesn't mean I believe it. I'm not here to be pro, nor to be anti, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, I just enjoy posting.

I don't agree that they are "irrelevant" - they will always be of interest and in the news.

I would really love seeing the family enjoying the Californian sunshine lifestyle in a magazine spread.

I don't see them actually doing it, but I also don't feel they are the type of people to avoid doing what they want in case it may draw negative attention from British tabloids.

I have posted a lot about this property because I get a lot of joy looking at pretty places.

You will hardly find anything from me in the fashion and jewellery threads, the history threads or the official duties threads - about any of the Royals.

None of that really interests me.

You will find however, a lot of my personal photos across many property threads here - various places I've visited and shared my photos and experiences from.

This is where my interests on TRFs really lies.

I've had many happy hours - over many years - "visiting" Mustique courtesy of Princess Margaret and the Cambridges.

I had a nice little "visit" to the Scilly Isles, again courtesy of the Cambridges, a few months ago.

Also "Round Hill", Jamaica and beautiful cottage number 16, courtesy of Prince Harry and Meghan's stay there.

And now Santa Barbara courtesy of Harry and Meghan. An interesting place to learn about during the Australian winter and Covid lock-down.

I am however slowly wondering if after all perhaps - despite the reports of the couple saying it is their "forever home" and the mortgage documents being in the media earlier this year - it is not going to be permanent for them.

Time will tell of course, but they have certainly not settled for long since their marriage - Nottingham Cottage, the Cotswold's cottage, Frogmore Cottage, the Victoria Island Canada house, the Beverly Ridge Tyler Perry mansion, this Montecito estate.

I won't be terribly shocked if they upsticks again and hop to a new lilypad.

My comment about the lightbulbs was because it occured to me that they would probably have professionals come in and check the smoke alarms and swop out all the bulbs throughout the building on a yearly basis - whether they needed changing or not.

Not an unusual practice in a big place from my experience.

And my comment about a smaller, simpler life was not intended as a put-down to the Duke and Duchess if you took it that way.

I'm always glad to see the wealthy spend money - it creates livelihoods for other people.

Check out some of my other posts when you get the chance MaiaMia.

There are some beautiful places covered here on this Forum.

The Castle of Mey, Versailles, the Forbidden City in Beijing, the Rhine and Loire castles and chateau, the gob-smacking Winter Palace/Hermitage at St Petersburg, the Brazilian Imperial Family's summer palace at Petropolis, castles all over the UK and Ireland ... a lot of really enjoyable posts about many, many places - some from me, but a lot from many other posters who obviously also enjoy property and places.

Last edited:
Can you imagine if Beatrice and Eugenie wanted to start a brand with "HRH Princess...." printed all over it. The press would have gone bezerk, especially as it would confirm that all the Yorks were tacky grifters. As it is the jobs they have aren't openly trading on their titles. The girls have been used as punching bags in the press since they were young teens and the BRF "as an institution" or HM as a grandmother has never come out and said "lay off them".

I think what Meghan wanted/expected was the public celebrity rally around which doesn't happen even when the firm does come out with a public statement or sues over something.

Princess Eugenie was asked about the negativity from the press and tabloid by an audience member in an interview with China Exchange. In particular, the audience asked "Does it hurt you? or are you past that? [despite] not being true". By negativity, it was on "freebies" and "holidays". Eugenie answered along the line of
Anyone in the public eye receiving negative stories would find them awful. It's part of human nature that someone may or may not like you. But it's a free world. We could take it or rise above it and continue on.​

The audience member then asked about Pippa's wedding, as a "cheek" question. :lol:

The sound is quite bad. It starts at 31:05 and ends at 32:42

I know it's off topic, but Eugenie was asked about the art world, her job, charity work, scoliosis and royal family from both the interviewer and audience members.

I think part of the reason that the Palace or indeed the Royal Family did not come out and release statements is that Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie are not working royals.

I also find it quite contradictory that Meghan does not read the newspaper/tabloid/comments (if this turn out to be true) and yet mentioned about the press negativity (in the South African Documentary) or how the Palace did not protect her (From the Sun's report on Meghan's court case).

Last edited:
I think part of the reason that the Palace or indeed the Royal Family did not come out and release statements is that Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie are not working royals.

I also find it quite contradictory that Meghan does not read the newspaper/tabloid/comments (if this turn out to be true) and yet mentioned about the press negativity (in the South African Documentary) or how the Palace did not protect her (From the Sun's report on Meghan's court case).

Thanks for the link.

I think they never commented mostly because it's something they don't do, not whether they're working royals, this started when they girls were children essentially. Especially not in the very public "circle the wagons we got you girl, ride or die!" way many celebrities do for each other which would be more in keeping for what Meghan was used to than however it is they privately cope with unfair criticism. And either release a one time statement or on limited occasions sue/complain.
Working royals like Anne couldn't do anything right for a long time and she certainly wasn't applauded for her hard work and straightforward attitude in the way she is now. Anne never fired back by publishing her CC list or patronages lists or anything. Zara who has her own platform outside of being the queen's granddaughter has never come out swinging against whatever has been written about her. The Middletons even put up with 90% of the nonsense printed before Kate was even married.

I'm not saying Harry and Meghan didn't have a right to be upset but it wasn't that "the institution" left her out to dry out of spite. Especially as FF details some of the advice that she was given and that they didn't want to listen because they knew better.

I heard someone reference M&H affectionately and informally the other day as, The Duke and Duchess of Montecito.

I don't think they'll be stripped of their titles. But if they become "the Duke and Duchess of Montecito" to their followers, have at it. How many informal "King/Queens of Wherever" are there in the US? Dozens.

Irrelevant doesn't mean uninteresting or un gossip worthy, at least not yet, especially not less than a year after such a huge flounce as we watch their attempts to set up their own version of being royalty whilst making money and getting in to politics. But practically speaking they've become less relevant than they were when they were pictured doing "real royal" events and are fighting to stand out from the just another celebrity crowd.

That said the people who support and disparage them are both in a minority, especially with so much else going on and you can say that about royal watching in general.

Thanks for the link.

Working royals like Anne couldn't do anything right for a long time and she certainly wasn't applauded for her hard work and straightforward attitude in the way she is now. Anne never fired back by publishing her CC list or patronages lists or anything. Zara who has her own platform outside of being the queen's granddaughter has never come out swinging against whatever has been written about her. The Middletons even put up with 90% of the nonsense printed before Kate was even married.

I'm not saying Harry and Meghan didn't have a right to be upset but it wasn't that "the institution" left her out to dry out of spite. Especially as FF details some of the advice that she was given and that they didn't want to listen because they knew better. .

Exactly - BP has long learned that firing back provide more ammo and have stopped the practice. Most royals are only allowed having brief 10 minute interviews and such - BP does not allow much information out anymore and I don't think it is just because the Windsor have the tendency to shot themselves in the foot. The public and media are a wild beast best left unfeed.

I personally believe Meghan and Harry's problem was that Meghan and her team of American PR doctors wanted the palace to release statements and memo out. The Palace media office said no and they said no too many times for M & H's liking.
Looking back I think that a problem could have been avoided or at least dampened. Meghan could have been taken aside and told to model herself on Anne or Sophie. I don't mean it harshly, but I really think she out to be Wonder Princess and didn't read her brief of the role she married into. That aside - if someone had told her the media policy of the palace and explain why it was there. Instead she appears to have convince Harry that the send a quote or rebuttal on every story to be the right way.

Then again - I can understand when media lies tend to became the only thing that people know about the royal - when it becomes their defining byline. Essentially what we know about some people are the characters that the media have created for them - we know the caricatures. and when the reality and the caricature are so conflicting it does became a problem.

Harry & Meghan's Time100 Talk

Harry and Meghan talked to Edward Felsenthal (Editor-in-Chief and CEO of TIME) on digital experiences and creating online communities that are "more compassionate, safe, and trustworthy"

Link to the article: https://time.com/5901377/prince-harry-meghan-markle-digital-world/

Video to Harry and Meghan's talk with Edward Felsenthal: https://time.com/collection/time100-talks/?vid=6203160022001

Video to the full Time100 Talk: https://time.com/collection/time100-talks/?vid=6203194780001

Edward Felsenthal has also tweeted about the Time100 Talk with Harry and Meghan, including the link to the article.
Edward Felsenthal @efelsenthal
Great talking with Harry and Meghan, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, about their focus on misinformation and on creating safer, kinder online communities. “This is a human problem. And what’s happening to all of us online is affecting us deeply offline.”
6:33 AM · Oct 21, 2020·Twitter Web App​

I don't have much of an interest in what the Duke and Duchess have to say in their videos.

I've posted one or two but only actually watched the one with little Archie and his book quite some months ago.

But ... I do like to see that shelf behind them and what they've done with it. :lol:

Here's an article about the latest arrangement of the more or less same objects -

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...e-book-collection-THREE-times-past-month.html

Hell Harry - and you thought the worse thing you had to avoid was the paparazzi.

A wild black bear's been disturbed from it's den near the Duke and Duchess of Sussex's Montecito estate ... and has been prowling about!

Keeping chooks is a bit of a thing in Santa Barbara and it's believed these hen coops may be attracting the attention of the bear following the sale of a nearby property, "Ranchos San Carlos".

It has been seen on security cameras attacking birds and raiding resident's rubbish bins.

No camping in the backyard until this is sorted guys ... and keep the BBQ clean.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ck-bear-prowling-near-California-mansion.html

Last edited:
Did anyone watch the Time100 discussion? It was quiet a change for the Sussex's. I think that they have a new public speaking couch or their PR firm did a poll or something. It is quiet a reversal of the normal rant online talks.
1. Acknowledging that you are not the expert. I have never heard a woke person utter such words. Might be the end of days :)
2. Clarifying their purpose - no more blind wondering in the darkness of bandwagon protests.
3. Meghan even managed to hold back slightly on her self pitying.

Did anyone watch the Time100 discussion? It was quiet a change for the Sussex's. I think that they have a new public speaking couch or their PR firm did a poll or something. It is quiet a reversal of the normal rant online talks.
1. Acknowledging that you are not the expert. I have never heard a woke person utter such words. Might be the end of days :)
2. Clarifying their purpose - no more blind wondering in the darkness of bandwagon protests.

oh gosh, i agree! out of all the interventions they've done as of late full of platitudes and a patronising attitude, this one had actual meaty content and they let the floor to people who were knowledgeable on the subjects rather than wanting to be the stars of the show (bar alexis ohanian - i don't doubt his credibility but it is obvious he was selected because of his close relationship with them rather than having been properly scrutinised).

it seems that they have reacted to the feedback they got over the last 6 months (finally!) that talking down at people with generic statements will not cut it and that people can see through it. and yes, acknowledging that they are not the experts was quite a change too!

Duchess of Zoom

I admire the drive in the Duchess’ Zoom style.
Engaging, eloquent, prepared and rehearsed.
Professional. Mature. Purposeful and Presidential.

We'll see how long it will last, holding back self pitying - maybe she knew the people who were giving their expertise would not take to it kindly.

I think they are still very much into bandwagon protests.

And I very much think Meghan still thinks she is an expert in all and everything, her previous interviews were only done a few days prior to this.

Imo nothing has changed, she is who she is.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have launched a new website for their Archewell organisation.

https://archewell.com/

https://www.hellomagazine.com/royalty/2020102199462/meghan-markle-prince-harry-archewell-website/

I actually do like the concept of “Arche” meaning “source of action”, and it does give some more meaning and context into why they chose the name Archie for their son. It will be interesting to see what they do with it, although I also find it very interesting that they say that the idea of it was around for longer than SussexRoyal, so it seems like the desire to run a nonprofit philanthropic organization was in the works for a long time.

I admire the drive in the Duchess’ Zoom style.
Engaging, eloquent, prepared and rehearsed.
Professional. Mature. Purposeful and Presidential.

Presidential? She is articulate and goal-oriented. I don't think that these qualities are necessarily presidential. Professional, yes.

Meghan and Harry are on a PR campaign. It's necessary to establish their profile if they want to become a bankable product and earn some cash. On the matter of the Cosmo article, it is mean-spirited and speculative. I sincerely hope that the Sussexes PR machine isn't actively supporting these kind of articles.

[...]

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought a wild bear prowling around was bad enough ... but now there is a lion on the loose.

And no, this is not some PR ploy for attention and sympathy by Harry and Meghan.

The bear was on Oprah Winfrey's estate back in July, and her house-guest Gayle King posted footage of the security staff warning her to stay indoors until it was shooed away.

A thirty-nine stone adolescent that now appears to have travelled some distance to the area of the Duke and Duchess' home.

Now a cougar has been spotted less than two miles from the Sussex's Rockbridge Rd estate.

It was seen to roar at a pet German Shepherd dog who was minding it's own business in a garden.

And was seen killing prey in another garden.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/12989825/harry-meghan-mountain-lion-loose-near-home/

Perhaps the bear and the cougar will stumble across each other and sort out who is the boss animal of the neighbourhood.

I didn't know Santa Barbara/Montecito was such a wild, live-on-the-edge kind of place.

Would you feel safe sleeping with your windows open on a balmy night?

At least here I only have to worry about bats and possums.

Last edited:
I thought a wild bear prowling around was bad enough ... but now there is a lion on the loose.

And no, this is not some PR ploy for attention and sympathy by Harry and Meghan.

The bear was on Oprah Winfrey's estate back in July, and her house-guest Gayle King posted footage of the security staff warning her to stay indoors until it was shooed away.

A thirty-nine stone adolescent that now appears to have travelled some distance to the area of the Duke and Duchess' home.

Now a cougar has been spotted less than two miles from the Sussex's Rockbridge Rd estate.

It was seen to roar at a pet German Shepherd dog who was minding it's own business in a garden.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/12989825/harry-meghan-mountain-lion-loose-near-home/

Perhaps the bear and the cougar will stumble across each other and sort out who is the boss animal of the neighbourhood.

I didn't know Santa Barbara/Montecito was such a wild, live-on-the-edge kind of place.

And Magpies or even butcher birds swooping in breeding spring season (September to November) when walking and exercising (thank goodness I'm not riding a bike). Possums jumping on roof does make me quite hard to fall asleep at night. :blink:

Apparently there are peacocks in California, which is definitely not the same as bears and lions :lol:

I do think (from looking at some Google images) Santa Barbara/Montecito are leafy with lots of bushes surrounding some houses, which explain why there are animals approaching residents.

Last edited:
And Magpies or even butcher birds in spring when walking and exercising (thank goodness I'm not riding a bike). Possums jumping on roof does make me quite hard to fall asleep at night. :blink:

Apparently there are peacocks in California, which is definitely not the same as bears and lions :lol:

I do think (from looking at some Google images) Santa Barbara/Montecito are leafy with lots of bushes surrounding some houses, which explain why there are animals approaching residents.

Perhaps Harry should have held onto those super-expensive hand-made Purdey shotguns he onsold when marrying, AC.

He would have been able to defend the family, and bag a couple of big game trophies while doing it. :lol:

It's not unheard of that wildlife including large predators (mountain lions, bears, coyotes) are in the foothills around Santa Barbara Co. and other parts of Southern California. My daughter is a student at UC Santa Barbara and last fall there were alerts about a mountain lion.

The Sussexes like their other neighbors in Montecito, CA likely have security cameras around their properties, so they'll be alerted.

It's not unheard of that wildlife including large predators (mountain lions, bears, coyotes) are in the foothills around Santa Barbara Co. and other parts of Southern California. My daughter is a student at UC Santa Barbara and last fall there were alerts about a mountain lion.

The Sussexes like their other neighbors in Montecito, CA likely have security cameras around their properties, so they'll be alerted.

I've almost trodden on a snake, and am forever on the lookout for spiders, TLLK ... but bears and lions are a whole other dimension of "wild".

Mountain lions, bobcats, bears and other large predators are not at all uncommon throughout the Western states wherever land backs up on to wilderness space. California, and much of the West, has been in an ongoing state of drought for several years, which drives the animals down closer to sources of water and easy prey. It's something you have to be conscious of with small children and pets, so it will be one more thing for the Sussexes to keep in mind.

Mountain lions, bobcats, bears and other large predators are not at all uncommon throughout the Western states wherever land backs up on to wilderness space. California, and much of the West, has been in an ongoing state of drought for several years, which drives the animals down closer to sources of water and easy prey. It's something you have to be conscious of with small children and pets, so it will be one more thing for the Sussexes to keep in mind.

You know Ista when it was first revealed that the Duke and Duchess had moved to the Santa Barbara area I had another look at a wonderful book I have about the luxury properties, homes and estates there.

And I checked out a lot of online glossy magazines showing the lifestyle in all it's glamour and enviability.

With more time though, I've learnt of the regular floods - called "slides" locally, because of the mudslides that result - and the wildfires.

Now these prowling large predator animals.

Although it has a lot going for it - and no place is free of issues, let alone perfect - it is certainly a different side to the area than the impressions I first had.

And while Montecito has a quiet village and beachside vibe, that doesn't always suit the movers and shakers of the world who like buzz.

With Harry and Meghan trying to build a US based entertainment career path, they may find it doesn't fulfill all their needs.

I've noticed a lot of celebrities buying in the area, but also selling again ... some after only a couple of years.

The Duke and Duchess can spend a few years trying different lifestyles out before being tied down by their son's school requirements.

I hope the authorities can round up these two beasties and re-locate them back up the mountains.

(Imagine jogging on one of those popular mountain tracks though, and meeting up with one of these!)

Last edited:
:previous: Sun Lion-A hiker in Utah recently had an encounter with a mother mountain lion. The hiker had unknowingly passed too closely to her den. He recorded the encounter with her and lived to tell the tale.

The Sussexes like their neighbors in the foothills have spectacular scenery and relative privacy to enjoy but it does come with the usual concerns for the region: wildfires (2017 was especially bad in that area), mudslides, flash flooding and earthquakes. However for the most part the beauty of the Central Coast tends to outshine the occasional hiccup, so I don't see them wanting to leave anytime soon.

:previous: Sun Lion-A hiker in Utah recently had an encounter with a mother mountain lion. The hiker had unknowingly passed too closely to her den. He recorded the encounter with her and lived to tell the tale.

The Sussexes like their neighbors in the foothills have spectacular scenery and relative privacy to enjoy but it does come with the usual concerns for the region: wildfires (2017 was especially bad in that area), mudslides, flash flooding and earthquakes. However for the most part the beauty of the Central Coast tends to outshine the occasional hiccup, so I don't see them wanting to leave anytime soon.

Good to know you're not dicing with death every time you go in your backyard TLLK.

(I'd be giving the hen-keeping hobby a miss though, if they're a predator magnet.)

Meghan and Harry are on a PR campaign. It's necessary to establish their profile if they want to become a bankable product and earn some cash. On the matter of the Cosmo article, it is mean-spirited and speculative. I sincerely hope that the Sussexes PR machine isn't actively supporting these kind of articles.

[...]

Yep - an image consultant has been brought in. Either it was for the launch of Archwell in general but my guess is they were told that the public opinion is moving against them and they need to act.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom