The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-03-2020, 07:39 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius1 View Post
Something unforgivable in Harry's recent comments is his inability to highlight the good things in the UK with regards to racial integration. He might have said that the country has come a long way in terms of diversity with the Chancellor of the Exchequer, Mayor of London, Secretary-General of the Commonwealth of Nations, to name but a few senior members of the Establishment are people from minority ethnic backgrounds. His wife was also welcomed into the Family.

Perhaps Harry should look to be more balanced in what he says and refrain from talking down the country that has given him everything from the day he was born. Perhaps he should leave his ivory tower mansion and put his shoulder to the wheel. Like so many so-called "celebrities" like his wife he has fallen into a pattern of uttering platitudes and soundbites to please a woke audience.
I think there are two reasons why Harry's comments are "unbalanced" and perceived to be "talking down the country"
  1. He has not done adequate level of research on the success of members of the BAME communities (particularly in public service and the Establishment) and some positive progress in racial integration. OR
  2. He knows that there are successful members of the BAME community and progress have been made in "race relation", but choose not to mention it, because it will weaken his argument or even not suit his (as well as Meghan's) agenda

Old 10-03-2020, 07:52 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
I do remember seeing something about Harry being active in the Christian Union in the Army but that was only anecdotal and was on a much more "evangelical wing of the CofE" than anything RC. No idea how true it was or if it held up once he left the army.

But 1) They don't want to have anything to do with their royal status removed, and have complained about not being able to use DoS in their branding.

2) would probably just start a "poor him/them persecuted for religious beliefs" even though it would be a free choice and there was already a huge amount of talk about WHY they can't be RC in relation to the Monarch being head of the CofE (maybe even still if disestablishment were to happen) when the Succession to the Crown Act was being debated. They can still be Anglo-Catholic if they want.

3) Archie would still be in line until he was confirmed Catholic like the young Kents. I think.
You are right about the Kents. Edward Windsor, Lord Downpatrick choose to be confirmed in the Roman Catholic Church (RCC) in 2003 (age 15). His younger sister, Lady Marina Windsor also confirmed to the RCC in 2008. After their conversion, they forfeited their place in the line of succession. Lady Amelia Windsor (youngest child of George Windsor, Earl of St Andrews) has not converted, hence remain 39th in line of succession.

Old 10-03-2020, 07:56 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC21091968 View Post
I think there are two reasons why Harry's comments are "unbalanced" and perceived to be "talking down the country"
  1. He has not done adequate level of research on the success of members of the BAME communities (particularly in public service and the Establishment) and some positive progress in racial integration. OR
  2. He knows that there are successful members of the BAME community and progress have been made in "race relation", but choose not to mention it, because it will weaken his argument or even not suit his (as well as Meghan's) agenda
It's always easier to point your finger at something and say "bad!" or "good!" rather than "improving but still a way to go" or "nice try but missing the point". Etc.

If they highlighted someone like Priti Patel (Home Secretary most powerful woman in the country) that would be an admission that whilst the establishment is still has it's institutional problems and can be difficult to get into if you don't fit a mould (not just for POC) it is possible. It wouldn't fit their current talking points at all (and nor would PP fit in with their politics) and their "victims of a racist, sexist establishment that never gave us a chance" stance that plays well to their fans.

They rarely talk about understanding why the courtiers and other members of the royal family were against them becoming political royals whilst still being working members of the BRF and that's why they left. That a constitutional monarchy that aligns with one side or another publicly won't last long or the fact that even though Harry never voted he could call up Boris Johnson or whoever and the PM would take his calls. Just as Meghan calls up Democratic platforms and says the Duchess of Sussex wants to participate. Because of the unique position they hold in the UK, and the world essentially. All the while using that platform to bash the reason they have it. And wanting the perks.
Old 10-03-2020, 08:14 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC21091968 View Post
Thank you Sun Lion for the article, which primarily mentioned about Harry's relationship with Prince William and to some extent Prince Charles.

I do think Harry's relationship with Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie might also be strained. The main reason is that Meghan allegedly (according to the Sun) drop their names in a court case to prove that some members of the Royal family are able to work independently whilst holding a title. Beatrice and Eugenie of course were never working members of the royal family and don't use their title for businesses/advertisement. The other reason (which could be speculative) is that in Finding Freedom, Omid Scobie and Caroline Durand supposedly mentioned that Harry and Meghan were apparently very angry that The Duke of York, Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie leaked their relationship. Harry and Meghan have denied their involvement with Finding Freedom, but to have your names dragged in the book (similar like way The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have been portrayed), must have angered the York Princesses, especially if they did not leak the relationship themselves.

I think the Sussexes' relationship with the Wessex family, Princess Anne's family (including the Phillips and Tindalls) may not be positive either. At one point, Meghan's court case apparently (again, according to The Sun) mentioned that the Royal Family (Not sure if it's as an institution or just family members?) have been unsupportive of them. Mike Tindall and Sir Timothy Laurence at some point have mentioned that the Royal Family members have been very welcoming. I do think the Wessex family, Princess Anne's family (Phillips and Tindalls) might be upset by those accusations, given that they have tried their best to include Meghan into the fold. Of course, Meghan may have been accusing the courtiers and palace staffs.

At this point, I think it's not just tension between Harry & Meghan and William & Catherine, but rather Harry & Meghan and other members of the Royal Family (though I am not sure about the relationship with the Snowdons, Chattos, Gloucesters and Kents)
Good points - Iíd forgotten about Meghanís chutzpah in naming innocent Beatrice and Eugenie in her Court papers. IMO sheís a bull in a china shop...
Old 10-03-2020, 10:29 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
Good points - Iíd forgotten about Meghanís chutzpah in naming innocent Beatrice and Eugenie in her Court papers. IMO sheís a bull in a china shop...
I think Prince Michael was cited in the court papers too as a royal who worked commercially whilst being an HRH. It was really bad form to drag other family members into their mess who I'm sure wanted nothing to do with it.
Old 10-03-2020, 11:28 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
If they highlighted someone like Priti Patel (Home Secretary most powerful woman in the country) that would be an admission that whilst the establishment is still has it's institutional problems and can be difficult to get into if you don't fit a mould (not just for POC) it is possible. It wouldn't fit their current talking points at all (and nor would PP fit in with their politics) and their "victims of a racist, sexist establishment that never gave us a chance" stance that plays well to their fans.
Two of the four "great offices of state" - Prime Minister, Foreign Secretary, Chancellor of the Exchequer and Home Secretary - are currently held by British Asians, with Priti Patel as Home Secretary and Rishi Sunak as Chancellor. Rishi Sunak was head boy of Winchester, one of the most exclusive schools in the country, so anyone who claims that public schools are racist is wide of the mark. And Dominic Raab, the Foreign Secretary, is the son of a refugee who fled the Nazis, so he's hardly from an "Establishment" background either. People conveniently forget all this when doing their anti-establishment bit!

I doubt they'd be returning for Christmas anyway. We're only allowed to meet up in groups of 6, so there are going to be very few family gatherings. And arrivals from the US have to quarantine for 2 weeks on arrival anyway.

Gary Goldsmith is so embarrassing! OK, I think a lot of people agree with what he's said, but he still shouldn't be making comments like that to the press!
Old 10-03-2020, 12:01 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
Two of the four "great offices of state" - Prime Minister, Foreign Secretary, Chancellor of the Exchequer and Home Secretary - are currently held by British Asians, with Priti Patel as Home Secretary and Rishi Sunak as Chancellor. Rishi Sunak was head boy of Winchester, one of the most exclusive schools in the country, so anyone who claims that public schools are racist is wide of the mark. And Dominic Raab, the Foreign Secretary, is the son of a refugee who fled the Nazis, so he's hardly from an "Establishment" background either. People conveniently forget all this when doing their anti-establishment bit!

Gary Goldsmith is so embarrassing! OK, I think a lot of people agree with what he's said, but he still shouldn't be making comments like that to the press!
Very good points. Other previous comments the same. Unfortunately I don't think the duke thinks things through sometimes (if ever understood in the first place) & the duchess critiques British society from an American perspective that makes no sense for our country.

Goldsmith is as you suggest reflecting much public opinion. How on earth members of the royal family have left themselves open to this sort of criticism & ridicule I don't know. It's just so sad.
Old 10-03-2020, 01:52 PM
Nobility

Wonder how his mother would see it all? I don't think she would be very pleased,with her younger son right now. He is really turning into an embarrassment. I would say he is in need of help hope he will get it, maybe this is a cry for help? He really needs to talk to a Professional and fast,before it is to late. Meghan is sure no help, to busy being Dss of Sussex.
Old 10-03-2020, 02:14 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by REAL COUNTESS View Post
Wonder how his mother would see it all? I don't think she would be very pleased,with her younger son right now. He is really turning into an embarrassment. I would say he is in need of help hope he will get it, maybe this is a cry for help? He really needs to talk to a Professional and fast,before it is to late. Meghan is sure no help, to busy being Dss of Sussex.
And, for the other side of the coin, perhaps she'd even be proud of him for standing up on his own two feet and deciding for himself which way his life is going to go.
Old 10-03-2020, 02:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraS3514 View Post
There is one unilateral thing Harry can do to remove himself from the line of succession: become a Roman Catholic. However, he has never seemed overly-religious and I don't see the RCC confirming him if the conversion is not sincere.
No, there are two other unilateral actions by which he theoretically could remove himself from the line of succession.

1. Legally cease to be a Protestant Christian (I am not sure what the procedure would entail) and be automatically removed pursuant to the Bill of Rights and Act of Settlement.

2. Marry without the formal consent of the Queen (I suppose theoretically he could legally divorce and then legally remarry his wife for that purpose) and be automatically removed pursuant to the Succession to the Crown Act.

Obviously, the question is hypothetical as there is no indication that he wishes to remove himself from the line of succession.
Old 10-04-2020, 03:14 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Harry might return to the UK sooner than expected for other reasons...https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...s-mansion.html
As of today, Harry has been in the US for at least 151 days. If he reaches 183 days he is legally liable to pay taxes there.
Old 10-04-2020, 03:49 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Harry might return to the UK sooner than expected for other reasons...https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...s-mansion.html
As of today, Harry has been in the US for at least 151 days. If he reaches 183 days he is legally liable to pay taxes there.
Logically, I would think that this stipulation would be wavered as long as travel restrictions are in place due to the pandemic.

Many US states have wavered renewing driver's licenses and even extended the time frame for filing income tax due to Covid-19. If Harry cannot safely travel to the UK, I believe the tax period will be extended for him as he cannot just jump on a plane and be back in the UK at this time.
Old 10-04-2020, 06:05 AM
Imperial Majesty

It's not as simple as him leaving either.

This years days will count against next year. Only a portion but they do. They look at how many days in three years. So for 2021 taxes they will look not only 2021 but a portion of the days he spent in 2020.

https://nomadcapitalist.com/2017/10/...-tax-resident/

It's not a matter of him going home every 170 days a while to reset a clock.
Old 10-04-2020, 04:59 PM
Courtier

Harry, the tax "avoider"? I don't see this! His whole future livelihood is built on an image of doing good - and doing good and not paying taxes? This doesn't fit.

Besides: the 150 millions he alledgedly got from Netflix - for sure an enterprise he founded together with his wife got the monies, so, there is no personal income for him, as long as the money stays in the enterprise.
Old 10-04-2020, 05:07 PM
Nobility

Must be their Influencer motto, do as I say, not what I due. Hope I am wrong.
Old 10-04-2020, 05:16 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor1319 View Post
Harry, the tax "avoider"? I don't see this! His whole future livelihood is built on an image of doing good - and doing good and not paying taxes? This doesn't fit.

Besides: the 150 millions he alledgedly got from Netflix - for sure an enterprise he founded together with his wife got the monies, so, there is no personal income for him, as long as the money stays in the enterprise.
Certainly won't be a good look, especially as word has recently got out that Trump hasn't been paying his taxes. I hope Harry will be smarter than that.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 10-04-2020, 05:37 PM
Royal Highness

As far as Iím concerned, as an American, if Harry is going to remain in this country pretty much permanently, he needs to pay his taxes. Flying back and forth to the UK every 6 months just to avoid paying them would be an awful look.
Old 10-04-2020, 05:44 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
It's not as simple as him leaving either.

This years days will count against next year. Only a portion but they do. They look at how many days in three years. So for 2021 taxes they will look not only 2021 but a portion of the days he spent in 2020.

https://nomadcapitalist.com/2017/10/...-tax-resident/

It's not a matter of him going home every 170 days a while to reset a clock.
I do not pretend to understand tax laws, but the Netflix deal aside, what is he actually earning to pay tax on
What I am asking is is he liable to pay USA tax on his income generated in the UK, trust funds ,investments , etc.
Old 10-04-2020, 06:11 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor1319 View Post

Besides:the 150 millions he alledgedly got from Netflix - for sure an enterprise he founded together with his wife got the monies, so, there is no personal income for him, as long as the money stays in the enterprise.
Even if that amount is true it is a first look dealó thatís the amount theyíll earn over the course of the deal. They probably got a small advance as seed money. This will go to their business so Harry, personally, wonít have a tax liability on that.

I canít think of any monies Harry might have earned in the US that is taxable for US purposes.
Old 10-04-2020, 06:59 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallo girl View Post
I do not pretend to understand tax laws, but the Netflix deal aside, what is he actually earning to pay tax on
What I am asking is is he liable to pay USA tax on his income generated in the UK, trust funds ,investments , etc.
Im not absolutely sure but I think that it is possible that he does have to pay tax on his income regardless of where it originates... he is living in the US